Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This game looks fantastic. I have heard of Demon Souls before, but stayed away from it because of people saying it was so hard you would go insane. I am up for the challenge now purely because I cannot wait to log in and leave notes for people. Or read one that says, "You are so dead if you go in here".

I know there isn't a lot out right now between the 360 version and the PS3. I have read the Kokatu article on that, but the Gamespot review didn't mention it much. I have more friends on the 360 than I do on the PS3, and that would really be the only thing aside from liking the Xbox Controller. However, I heard the D-Pad plays a big role. It's prbably been covered but is there really any recommendation either way if I have both systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Cool thanks all for the advice. I am watching the stream and I have an Xbox Controller hooked up to my PC, and for shits and giggles tried using the left and right bumper buttons, it is completely awkward and bends my wrist in a really lovely way.

PS3 it is simply for that reason alone. They should really make the attack and defend buttons remappable to the the trigger buttons for those folks who do not have a choice.

quote:

And you can see a shiny piece of loot just beyond that almost-certain deathtrap. And it's just daring you to go for it. You know it's a bad idea, but... shiny.. twinkly!

And you die. And you learn from that stupid mistake and do better next time.

This is awesome.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Tolain posted:

So I'm really on the wall about which version to pick up. I want to pick it up on 360, but am worried its community will be way smaller due to the lack of japenese players and existing fanbase. Any opinions on this? I have both consoles, 360 is just my system of choice.

I am choosing the PS3 because I tried using the Xbox controller while trying to press the left and right bumper buttons over and over again, and it was awkward for me. I was told you also should take into account the position of the D-Pad as you will use that alot, and on the PS3 controller it is in a better spot for this particular game. I am sure it will be fine on both systems however.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Have the game for PS3 and the strategy guide. I cannot believe I bought a strategy guide, but holy poo poo is this thing cool. 383 pages, hard cover, with an absolute poo poo ton of information. Now I want to try not to read it yet, but this is making a good run to replacing my I pad 2 on the shitter for a while.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

redreader posted:

I'm off to work now. Mine's been 'out for delivery' for 3 hours but I am pretty sure I won't get it till the afternoon, it's not on my doorstep. I have prepared by cooking many meals in advance, and I did some extra work late last night.

Also it looks like the guide on amazon has 2 versions: the one which is out of print, and an identical version that appears on the 7th. Is the guide available at all gamestops or something? I might just cancel and get it there.

I bought mine at Gamestop, and also didn't preorder my game. Just picked up both on my way home. I am very impressed with it. Although I have not bought a strategy guide ever in my life, so the only thing I can compare it too is the "manuals" online ina PDF format.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Jesus. When people said this was hard they were not kidding. I have died over twenty times so far, just on the way to get the orange soap item. Haha. Ouch.

I'm also clueless on where to go. Time to pop this guide open.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Oh my God gold pine resin I love you.

Is it cheating if I just hang out in the burgs and level up a bit? Every time I get to a certain point I always have enough souls that I go back to the bonfire, level again, rinse and repeat. I'm level 10 now and I am guessing I could get to 16 this way pretty easily.

If I go any further I get one shotted by two particular monsters that rape my soul.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is exactly what I plan on doing for a while. We are babies.

Haha good I'm not the only one.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
This is the first time in a long time that when I beat a boss or make it to another bonfire, I am elated. Aside from a few frame rate hitches, fantastic game. Too bad I have to go to bed. With that said, I suck. I am about four hours played and entering undead parish

I have died roughly 56 times easy.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Leyburn posted:

Are people finding it necessary to farm/grind? I've reached Anor Londo at SL 42 without grinding anything at all.

I was busy last night so I didn't get to play, and I just got to the dragon bridge after 4 hours of play when I played on Tuesday. I leveled to about 14 in the beginning parts of Undead Burgs, really all I was doing was killing to the merchant, and then over to the boss area, and then I would head back to the bonfire and level up. I also saved up souls for the repair kit, because I knew that would be handy. All in all, I am not sure I would call it grinding, but rather, "I do not want to get stuck somewhere losing these souls", and kind of getting myself into a circle of success. Even though I still died doing that about 20 times but it was easy to recover :)

What I find awesome is I cannot remember the last time where I knew everything about an area from repetition. This was one of those times. Memories. It actually reminded me of pulling dungeon mobs in EverQuest 1. You just got to know the layout of the dungeon and what to pull and when.

This game is pure awesome though. I already had a "Back in the day" speech with my step daughter who is 11. "How do you know what to do or where to go?" ... "You have to figure it all out on your own"... "You mean the game doesn't tell you where to go? That would suc... Oops you died." ... "Yeah... :(" ... "OH MY GOD IT SENT YOU WAY BACK THERE!?!?! THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

I cannot imagine the pain she would be feeling right now if she didn't have a Wii, and instead I switched it out with an SNES with Super Ghouls and Ghosts. :)

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 6, 2011

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SixtySix posted:

Some of the messages left by other players are trolling. (I got one on the firebomb platform in Undead Burg that said "Try Jumping!" :haw:

LOL I saw that one as well. I also saw one that said treasure ahead, and then another one that said try jumping. I fell for that one when I first started playing the game because I thought maybe I would hit a river down below haha! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Is it bad that I am about 7-8 hours in and am only just delving into around the middle of Parish?

Holy cats.

• Locked thread