Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

DeathSandwich posted:

So are there any doors/hidden fun stuff that requires the master key or do all the locked doors have a corresponding key somewhere?

With the master key, you can get that Astora sword (80/80/0/0, C/C/-C) really early, think of it as the Crescent Falchion from Demons Souls.

DeathSandwich posted:

Apparently you can trade it to this game's version of sparkly the crow for an item of some sort.

Yep, you can trade the pendent for an item used for boosting the ranks of Blade of the Darkmoon covenant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I even gots the awesome 100% damage reduction shield that the Warrior comes with. I am thinking that concentrating on #1 is the way to go then.

Bursting down the first one is your best bet. Right before #1 hits 50% HP, try getting a 4~5 hit combo to stun it. Then you should be able to kill it with two-handed stance.

If you really have to fight both of them, you can try getting the miracle that reduce fire damage as well.

Edit:

OxMan posted:

So for those of you that are playing and have the Master Key, are there any doors in the game that CAN'T be opened by it? How about any doors that can ONLY be opened by it?

Yes, there are a bunch of doors/shortcuts that can't be opened by Master Key.

But it's still a good idea to take Master Key though, getting an early shortcut to Valley of Drakes (that leads to an easy route down to the swamp) is amazing.

Unknown_PC fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 3, 2011

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Sen's Castle: The Real Dark Souls Starts Here :negative:

I must have died 30 times here looking for the shortcut and bonfire. Who would have thought you have to jump over the edge to reach the bonfire (Nico video). The bomb-tossing giant up top really caught me off guard the first time.

Leyburn posted:

Anyone have any idea which upgrade path is the equivalent of Crushing (gives your weapon a strength modifier) from Demon's Souls? I got the chance to upgrade my starting axe to Raw, but it seemed to lower the strength modifier, so I've just been taking it along the standard upgrade line instead.

Doesn't look like there is crushing-equivalent according to the JP wiki page.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Leyburn posted:

Also looking for some forest area advice: There is also the gate in the forest that I can buy a crest to gain entry to, for a rather pricey 20000 souls. So far I've had no indication that I need to go there, but I'd be tempted to lay down the souls for the crest after I've got another few levels under my belt.

It opens up one of the best soul farming area in the game, it's well worth the cost.

There is also a hidden bonfire on the left side of the marked door if you attack the wall.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Vargs posted:

Is this a sure thing? I was reading a post on another forum where some guy was saying he wasn't able to backflip even though he had 30 dex, even with no gear on, but there is a strong possibility that he's just retarded.

There is also a ring that enables special rolls.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

So did that 1.03 patch also change it to where (tutorial spoilers) the master key no longer gets you into that room with the magic sword? I thought it was suppose to be that door straight down the hall from the fog door above the tutorial boss. My masterkey isn't working on that door and I actually had to check to see if it was still in my inventory.

Nope, the second floor locked door in the tutorial can't be accessed until later in the game. The magic sword you're thinking about might be the one in the Valley of the Drakes (going through the ruins below Firelink), accessible early using the master key.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

UserMan posted:

To people that have already played a lot or watched a lot of streams, I have a question to ask. I remember hearing that if you beat the tutorial boss in the a certain way you got a special weapon, what exactly is this weapon and how do you get it?

Alternative ways:

1) Trade an item to the crow for the weapon

2) Rare drop from normal enemies near the end-game.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Boxing Snatcher posted:

I just got to theMoonlight Butterfly and it is kicking my rear end so hard. Is anyone else having trouble with it?
In this game I know you can call for other to help you, but I just don't feel good about it. I feel like I would be cheating myself a bit. That being said, I cannot wait to invade people. I never got to do it in Demon's Souls.

All of its attacks are magic-based. If you grab a high magic reduction shield, you can block everything. You just wait until it latches onto the side, switch to two-hander then whack away.

For a high magic reduction shield (80%), there is one back at the Undead Asylum. The Knight from tutorial will come back as an undead, defeat him for the shield

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So my fire in Firelink shrine is out. Apparently the fire keeper has been killed. I have a black eye orb, but how do I use it?

This is actually a long side event if you didn't kill the Yurt-look alike you rescued in the church. You'll be able to use the black eye orb in Amor Lando, around the half point of the game.

The good thing is you'll get two extra sets of armor not obtainable anywhere else if you do this side event instead of killing the NPC back at the church. The downside of course is that you need to find another NPC to upgrade Estus flask and you lose the Firelink bonfire for half of the game.

Once you kill Yurt 2.0 in Amor Lando, the Fire Keeper will be revived.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Thanks. Who do I go to about my Estus Flask?

The old witch in the cave down below Blighttown's swamp can upgrade your flask for the time-being. However, you'll need to clear the swamp boss first

Chaos341 posted:

What do medals of sunlight do when you use them? I got them for beating the Gargoyles with the sunlight guy.

You randomly get those medals when defeating bosses in coop or with sunlight NPC. They're used for upgrading Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Nigulus Rex posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on what stats to get next? I'm still in the burg (spent the last hour farming for the repairbox, and 16 str to use the drake sword one handed). I have 16 str, 15 vit, 12-13 endurance, and 11-12 dex. I am a pyromancer but I primarily use my melee. The pyro runs out too fast and has a very limited range which isn't optimal (as far as cast time goes) if something is coming toward you.

Drake Sword is amazing for the first half of the game. I would just pump VIT until 30 (diminished return kicks in after 30) for survivability then you can pump faith to 18 if you want the evacuate miracle. After that, you can go melee hybrid or caster.

One thing to note about pyromancy is that their spell damage scales off their pyro catalyst upgrades and not so much from INT or faith.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Where is the Pyromancer trainer? I want more fire magics. While I'm at it, where's the Sorcery trainer? I want to infuse my character with all the magic there is.

For the first pyromancy and sorcery trainers:
Pyromancer is rescued in the Depths. After meeting the first butcher, go through the water area (2 dogs + 1 undead). Turn left once you exit the water area, the pyromancer will be trapped around the corner. Roll to break the barrels, do not attack.

Sorcerer is rescued from the lower section of Undead Burg (coming from dragon bridge's door). You'll need to buy a key from the merchant first to unlock his door.

There is a blacksmith in the ruins below Firelink that teaches you some basic sorcery.

For higher tier pyromancy/sorcery trainers:
Witch in the swamp, outside the boss cave near one of the pillars will teach you highend pyro spells. You need to upgrade your pyro catalyst to a certain level for her to show up.

For sorcery, you'll need to rescue a NPC in Sen's Fortress. When you're at the rock dispensing mechanism, move it counter-clockwise once and it'll smash through a wall. You'll find the NPC inside a cage through the smashed wall.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

I accidentally attacked a friendly NPC! Is there anyway I can get him to calm down and stop attacking me?

There is a NPC in the belltower after you ring the bell that can make you friendly with hostile NPCs.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Also I have to say that the return to the demon assylum is pretty neat. Several dark knights to kill, items to be got, and a hosed up peculiar doll added to my inventory that I have no clue what the gently caress. Is it something I can immediately use or is it's use down the line a ways (for reference, moonlight butterfly was the last boss I killed).

The doll is used in Amor Lando later. It allows you to enter the painting.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

What is the intended next destination after Moonlight Butterfly? Valley of the drakes/blighttown? Darkroot basin seems like it's a dead end otherwise with a big loving nasty hydra trying to kill you.

Blighttown then down to the swamp for the bottom bell. Going from Valley of the Drakes -> Blighttown -> Swamp is much easier by taking the wooden elevator down to the swamp. Another route would be going from Depths -> Blighttown -> Swamp, but it's more difficult.

You could try the hydra if you want, but you may need to get a heavy shield to withstand it's attacks. You need to get close enough to the hydra so it starts lunging at you. After it lunges, you can attack its heads.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

empathe posted:

What are my options without the masterkey? Also, how do I deal with the ghosts that are down there?

The ghosts and such are on the left side, you'll want to head to the right side for Valley of Drakes.

If you don't have master key or specific key for the gate, you'll need to go all the way from Darkwood Garden -> Darkwood Basin -> Valley of Drakes. If you run into the mini-boss the hydra in Darkwood Basin, you're going the wrong way.

There is a world connectivity map on the English page. But there may be some light, place name spoilers.

Unknown_PC fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 5, 2011

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Varinn posted:

If I accidentally killed the Undead Burg merchant, can I still get a repairbox somewhere else?

there was an awful misunderstanding, and as much as I love his sick katana, I think the repairing is more important.

Yes, you can buy a repair box from the blacksmith near Undead Parish

OxMan posted:

This post has minor (not really) spoilers up till like, let's say SL20.

So, I got a special whatchama call it ember from killing the butterfly, and gave it to the smith in the parish by the forest entrance and he told me to come back later, and I did, but...nothing. I see nothing new for sale or forging, what'd I miss? Also, I got a special soul from the butterfly, who do I give that to in order to get whatever fancy weapon or whatever comes from it?

The embers unlock new upgrade paths for weapons. For the butterfly soul, it allows you to ascend +10 spear or shield to an unique version. I personally would just go with the shield since it has a special attack.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Haha, Sen's Fortress' boss can fall off the sides when it loses balance, that was an easy win.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Sweet, just beat the Anor Lando boss solo on first try, taking out the fat guy, Smough first :smug:

Having a lightning resist heavy shield seems to make the fight a lot more bearable.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Do Covenant rosters cover the entire world or just your region? I'm looking at the Chaos Servants one and how the hell did someone already contribute 4502 humanity? I know rats can drop it but I can't see a person getting that amount without duping. Not this fast, at least.

It's global and you can buy humanities from one of the merchants.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Oh, so it's infinite? I know I saw one selling them for 5k souls. Where would be the best place to farm souls just after defeating Queelag? That fight really showed me that I need to level up some and enhance my equipment. Would mind getting Chaos Storm either because Chaos Fireball is simply awesome.

Yes, there is another NPC that sells humanities for 10,000 and 20,000 souls if you manage to get him out from Giant Graveyard. He is Patches from the area.

For the best soul farming place, it's the Darkwood Garden area after unlocking the door by buying the 20,000 soul item. You can refer to this video on how to farm souls in that area

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So, who's this dude in the gold armor? Should I let him out, or is he another Yurt?

You can choose to kill him or not.

If you kill him, you get a ring early, some humanities

If you don't kill him, he eventually kills
Firelink's firekeeper and you lose bonfire for half of the game. You can avenge the NPC's death later in Amor Lando and get two extra armor sets, the ring, humanities. The slain NPC will also be revived

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Phoix posted:

Is there a way to cheese the Knight Lautrec fight in Anor Lando? A fight where the boss is unblockable and you can't heal is pretty silly!

You can go up to the side stairs to try and fight them one-on-one. If you have pyromancy that helps too. Supposedly poison cloud works also, but I haven't tried that.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Mr. Crow posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Fire Orb vs Great Heavy Soul Arrow?

I rolled pyromancy and pumped points into intelligence before I found out you get nothing out of it (in pyromancy) and bought Soul Arrow and Heavy Soul Arrow and they are honestly significantly better then Fireball, at least with my Intelligence, so I'm at a loss at what to buy...

It really depends on your build. Pyro spells have no stat requirements and damage caps out around 600~1000 (counter-hit) once you max out the pyro catalyst. It has nice AoE and is a great supplement for any builds, especially hybrids. The downside is the lack of long range.

Sorcery requires INT, but has potential to do more damage endgame and NG+ with ring, new staff, and headgear that boost sorcery damage. You also get a lot more range and generally more spell charges for sorcery.

Edit: Sorcery also has slightly more utility. There is also a spell that lights up the area, great for Giant Graveyard :)

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Kiranamos posted:

You need the Master Key to fight Havel?

It's either that or you need to clear Moonlight Butterfly boss for the key.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Phoix posted:

Anyone know what I need to take to +10 to use Crossbreed Priscilla's soul?

Halberd or whip should do the trick

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Well, finally finished the game today at level 39 with pyro/melee hybrid build.

I also picked up all the Firekeeper souls:
- Undead Parish
- Blight Town, Valley of Drake Side, down at where all the toxin shooters are
- New Londo, off to the right side from the first spirit
- Duke's Archive, same room where Logan is held at the bottom of prison
- Kill Lautrec at Anor Lando (can be used to revive Firekeeper at Firelink)
- Kill Firekeeper at Anor Lando (disables bonfire)
- Kill White Spider NPC at Quelaag's (disables bonfire)

NG+ is pretty harsh so far.
Enemies give 3x more souls, but have around 50% more HP. Enemies also hit like a truck, a counter-hit from normal Undead Burg enemies do a good 250 damage against ~300 def.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Smelly posted:

Where the hell am I supposed to go in Late game spoiler:Lost Isolith? Everywhere I go is a dragon that's going to destroy me. :(

Run for it, seriously. Those things are not worth your time. One of the roots on the far left should lead you upwards into the next section.

There is a hidden bonfire in the first section. It's located at the second big pillar buildings. Its wall at the left side is destructible.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Hell Diver posted:

Anyone have any advice for Nito. I'm standing outside his fog gate and I really don't want to go in without at least some knowledge. It's a pain in the rear end slog to get back here.

e: . . . Sealed by the Great Lord's power? What. the. gently caress.

There are 3 small skeletons and 3 big ones, kill those first with holy/divine weapons. Then you've pretty much beat the boss, just watch out for his shockwave

Oh yeah, you need to clear Anor Lando first.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Quinch posted:

What does he actually sell this time around? I accidentally killed him because it was dark, I was on edge already and as soon as he came into view I just started wailing on him.

All three masks from the catacomb boss (increase weight, HP, stamina regen), Crescent axe (you can also kill him for it), Cleric Armor set, some humanities.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Guliani is HOT posted:

So do the drakes in Valley of the Drakes really drop dragon scales? I think I read that somewhere.

They do, but it's quite rare. Even with maxed out 410 item find, it's a good 1/25 chance I would say.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Darkwraith, the best covenant :allears:

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Speaking of second play, how are goons finding a low SL play through? At first I started a character as something that I could play alongside a friend but now im just pushing the character as far as it can go at low SL. I'm currently SL12 and heading into Blighttown.

It's pretty fun and you definitely notice new things about bosses as there is no room for error with such low SL, but you don't tend to mind as you blaze through every pre-boss section.

Getting decent amount of vit, 900~1100 HP (+7 flask recovers 800) works well for low SL playthrough and allows more room for mistakes. I just finished NG+ last night at SL 40. With just enough str/dex to wield desired lightning weapon and pyromancy on the side, damage is never a problem.

I could have definitely used a more endurance though in retrospective, NG+ enemies take off a lot more stamina when blocking. Toughest boss in NG+ were Four Kings and Seath I thought. Can't really cheese Four Kings by tanking it anymore so it requires dodging everything and sometimes eating a homing attack from blind spot. Seath takes some time to clear by constantly baiting for breath at mid-range since tail swipes are instant-kill on counter-hit.

I'll probably try a SL 1 run once I get platinum and see how that goes.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

Speaking of Big Hat Logan, I just got him in Firelink and when I talk to him he says that I'm not capable of using sorcery but that's okay because not everyone is. Then he doesn't sell me anything. Is my intelligence supposed to be at a certain level before he will sell to me?

Yeah, you need 15 INT as others have stated. You can also negate this requirement after rescuing Logan for the 2nd time in Duke's Archive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

Finally got platinum :toot:

Around 100 hours, 3 playthroughs for all the boss soul weapons.

• Locked thread