Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Where the hell is the depths? I just got the key to access it, but I can't find the door anywhere. Capra demon's room seem to just be a dead end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Meme Emulator posted:

Its really hard to see but right before the fog door theres a little stairwell down. Enjoy

Aaaaah I see, thanks.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Do armor and shield upgrades have optional branches at +5/+10 in the same manner that weapons have?
I haven't upgraded past +5 yet, since I'm not sure if something better than +6 is there.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I actually liked the Tomb of the Giants, even though it was a frustrating place. (yeah I liked Blighttown too...)

Liked the concept of a dark area, and seeing the demon ruins in the distance was cool too. The enemies were frightening in the dark, and I liked the variation the darkness created in the fights - if you were close enough to see the telegraphing of the coming attacks, you were probably too close to dodge it. Frustrating, and I died many times, but still enjoyed it.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Ovo posted:

I just finished up Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants and I really was let down with it. Pinwheel and Nito were probably the 2 easiest boss fights, I was excpecting something especially hard from the 2nd one too. Tomb of the Giants was not that bad as well, yeah its annoying until you get to the second bonfire, but you get the lantern prety quickly and the dark area is pretty simple once you can SEE it. Here's hoping the Demon Ruins will be a little more challenging.

^^^^ I never saw him in the catacombs either but he still showed up in the Tomb.

I really liked the visual design of the Tomb boss, but man too easy...

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Dave Grolsch posted:

So should I be doing Tomb of Giants right after Catacombs? I fell to my death twice right at the start and said gently caress it. I have no clue where to find that lantern.

Also, could someone point me to that video of the guy farming souls in the forest? I just opened the door and forgot how he did it.

Depends on whether you've beaten Ornstein & Smough yet. There is useful stuff to find down there before as well I guess, but the boss will be unavailable.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Ugh Lost Izalith... Such a tedious area. I wish the burning-in-lava sound wasn't so loud, it makes things even more annoying down there.

At least the enemies don't respawn, they are not fun or interesting to fight. I liked the Tomb of the Giants, but this place is very ill concieved in several ways.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Regarding the firekeeper in firelink. After you've resurrected her, can you kill her again, and resurrect her again? What does she say if you do?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
If I become a Chaos servant, and open the shortcut to Lost Izalith, and then join the Darkwraiths. Will the shortcut still be open?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Another method for the snipers:
Run up with shield up to the right one (you might get hit on the way there, but it should work out), and when he draws his sword, turn around and run to the other knight. The one behind you will fall to his death, and you'll have only one knight to worry about. Or just screw it, the level proceeds to the right, so you can go back and go on. A bonfire will be behind the door to the left.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

waspinator posted:

Come watch me get the mimic helm and bone shields for lvl 1 pvp trolling action!

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Weird that you never managed to get the bone shields, I must have gotten like 5 of those my first playthrough. Seeing you pvp with the mimic helm and dung pies owned though.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Before I do something wrong, and mess up this round, I want to confirm how these covenants work:
I'm in the chaos-covenant, in order to open the shortcut. I have not beaten four kings yet, but I'm about to. So can I talk to Kaathe, get the lord vessel to the altar his way, open the shortcut to lost izalith (there's orange mist in the way before you've put the vessel on the altar it seems), and then AFTER that join the darkwraiths? I'm worried about the option of joining the darkwraiths, that I will lose it after talking with Kaathe the first time, where I don't wish to join before opening the shortcut.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Nice, that's what I was hoping for.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Why the gently caress do I spawn in the first bonfire in Anor Londo if dark sun Gwyndolin kills me GAH! Really?! That choice is just pure assholery, it's simply adding a longer run to the boss, without any extra challenge.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

doomfunk posted:

Did you shoot Gwynevere? I didn't, and when I fought Gwyndolin and died I respawned right outside his room.

Yes, and I've also killed the fire keeper.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

PerOlus posted:

Why the gently caress do I spawn in the first bonfire in Anor Londo if dark sun Gwyndolin kills me GAH! Really?! That choice is just pure assholery, it's simply adding a longer run to the boss, without any extra challenge.

What the hell?! Even if I go to another bonfire, rest there, and then warp to the darkmoon tomb, and die to Gwyndolin, I spawn at the first Anor Londo bonfire!

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I just had an awesome invasion in the catacombs.
After checking the first bonfire, I get the message that the host is summoning white phantoms. I suspect he is by the second bonfire, so I run to the lever that flips the bridge there. The host summons two phantoms, and they move out without checking the lever-area. The phantoms are running in the front, and they're both on the bridge when I flip it. They fall to their death. The host gets trapped on my side of the bridge, so I jump down from the lever area to finish him off, which I succeed in doing.
It really felt like the perfect invasion-scenario.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Best thing about invading is the warm feeling you get from getting indicted, knowing you just ruined someone's day.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I think when it comes to bosses, Demon and Dark are pretty equal in terms of lovely and good. I don't get why Demon is held in so high regard when it comes to the bosses. 1-1, 4-1, 5-1 and 5-2 were all pretty uninteresting and easy bosses, and that's a big chunk of the bunch.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I haven't touched the game in weeks, and it seems 1.05 is out now. What's the state of things? Did they fix weapon scaling? Is it easier to get matched up online with players?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Just got back into the game after a break, my desire to do a no casting no armour run became to big. I hear Hollow soldier's shield was nerfed in 1.05, makes sense. What are the go-to shields now?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Cuchulain posted:

Silver/Black Knight are the best, with all of the Crest shields just behind.

Cool cool. How about upgrades, I want to swing around big strengthy things. Is regular upgrades up to +15 the way to go, or is the raw-branch better?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Hah! Your twinked out low lever invader with dark hand and everything don't mean poo poo if you decide to taunt near the edge of a cliff. Kicked that sucker down before his stupid animation had finished.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
The club best for a strength build, is it large club or great club? The wikidot-wiki has scaling A on the great club on the last two levels, but I don't trust it. The large club is annoying, since it only drops from those blighttown-giants, and that rarely. I kinda want the great club to be the one.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I'm going to try at dex-based build, which are good weapons to aim for?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

swamp waste posted:

YEAH do it

Bandit knife: really fast, insane crits, bleed
Starting weapon for thief, drop from hollow thieves in the lower part of the burg

Black bow of Pharis: scales to S with dex, great range
The forest hunter NPC archer drops it (and a jaunty hat). Reload if he falls off a cliff, it'll be where he started.

Uchigatana: you know about this probably. Pretty good and versatile and has bleed.

Balder side sword: a straight sword counterpart to the uchi if you prefer that.
Random drop from the knights in the Parish (the ones with a straight sword, not the ones with rapiers)

Painting guardian sword: very fast, best dex scaling of any weapon besides the Pharis bow, bleed. Its R2s are kind of unwieldy though.
Random drop from the painting guardians, the dudes in white in the Anor Londo painting cathedral

Great scythe: Incredible reach, very good power for a dex weapon, R2 is a 180 degree sweep. 300 bleed.
It's in a hidden room in the catacombs; from the last rotating bridge, look right and you'll see a door with a broken staircase, and a second door under that. You can jump down to the ledge on its left.

Ricard's rapier: Great scaling, can attack while guarding, hidden crit bonus, the multi-hit R2 is killer with weapon buff spells
Ricard is a unique NPC in Sen's Fortress, he's on the roof, past the optional heavy knight with the mace. There's a ladder there that might be hard to spot. Kill him for it.

Murakumo: The strongest, heaviest dex weapon. Takes 19 str to even two-hand it though.
It's Shiva's sword, kill him for it. You have to join the forest hunters to make him appear; he'll be in Blighttown if you're still in the covenant, or back in the forest if you leave it.

e: some people will recommend Quelaag's furysword but keep in mind that most of the damage is fire/Humanity based and doesn't scale with dex, and it's intrinsically split-damage so it will start to lag behind other stuff in the endgame and NG+.

Awesome tips, thanks. Hah, I never used a bow in Demons', and haven't yet in Dark. Think I'll go ahead and finally try it out.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Neat fan-made trailer, with some npc-scenes renacted that happens during the game, got posted at nico. Seems it wasn't reposted to youtube yet so here it is:
http://youtu.be/kVpD9Cps2Mg

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Alright, I'm :siren: STARTING A LIST OF GAMERTAGS :siren:
Quote this post if you want me to add you and list your system and gt. That way you can just add/message somebody there if you want assistance (you can still do it in the thread but it won't be as frequent). I'll keep editing this post as more people add it.

GOON DARK SOULS
code:
Gamertag (SA Username)
Xbox                                               Playstation3

CasualResonance (RembrandtQEinstein)               GarlicDalek (Chard)
Awesome Animals (Awesome Animals)                  JesseJames314 (Jesse James)
Fifteen of Many (Fifteen of Many)                  Pathard (Pathard)
Day Man (Frago Bren)                               Lemon_Jefferson (Cosmik Debris)
GhostHunterTed (Stokes)                            Hogobogo (Kongming)
GT Ronagathor (Mr E)                               misterbing13 (Mr. Bing)
Church of Raven (Mercedes)
Commissar Hoxie (Yardbomb)

Playstation 3, Perollus. I have a couple of characters ranging up to 100.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Semper Fudge posted:

Patches the Hyena shows up.

That's about the extent of how connected the two games are.

Even though the connection isn't actually said to be there, I still like the thought of Dark soul's world being the broken arch-stone in demons'. Since they refer to it in demons' as land of the giants, it's close enough for me.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
How do hell do vagrants work anyway?! Hasn't it been figured out yet?

In the list on the wikidot-wiki:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/drift-items

Will monsters spawn in other worlds if I dump items in the areas listed, is that how it works? I've never encountered one of those things even once.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Where is Logan supposed to be for the final encounter with him? I've been up to where Seathe is the first time, but it's just empty there with a chest in the middle.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
In my current playthrough, which is with a dex-based char using parry dagger instead of shield (so no blocking), I had the easiest time with four kings ever. Maybe it's because I've played that boss now many times, and know the timing of their attacks, but dodging really felt like the easiest way to beat four kings.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Man! The gravelord servants are no joke! I can't get anywhere in the tomb of giants, because of all the black phantom dogs everywhere. This is ng+, and they kill me and any dudes I summon in one hit. It doesn't matter if I summon people, they're always instantly killed. I'm at the second bonfire, and I can't go back to the first bonfire where the guy probably is, and I can't even get near the boss' area, because the dogs just hit too hard!

Do the gravelord servants get anything from my deaths? Don't get me wrong, I've been invading and broing a lot down there between attempts to break free (warping out would be cowardly), and I haven't given up hope yet. Black phantoms never seem to dissappear by the way, they've been there for days every time I round the corner from the second bonfire.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
How does weapon requirements work for dex? Is it only str that gets buffed by wielding with two hands?
This means that you're locked off from pretty much all neat weapons in a level 1-run, right? Is axe all the way the only option?

PerOlus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Anyone know if the steam-achievments will be identical to the console-versions'? I want some funky new stuff.

• Locked thread