Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think the main character actually goes totally hollow - the text in the bonfire menu is "reverse hollowing", so it's more like a process rather than you wake up one morning and you're hollow. I think the main character just becomes like the undead merchants, where they're on the edge of being hollow but still hanging on to shreds of sanity.
Having your brains scooped out and replaced with a connection to a PS3/Xbox controller probably helps not flip out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Since I'm griping: Enemies with dodge moves where you swing your sword straight through them right as they're starting to dodge and do no damage. It's especially silly because there are frames where you can hit them and do extra damage because they're in the middle of the dodge. But not when they're just starting it, of course not. Smaugh is really bad about this.
To be fair, you can do some of this yourself. I dodged straight through a snake-mage's lightning spell in Sen's the other day.

Roguelike posted:

Even the letters are really confusing because an 'S' scaling weapon may not neccessairly give more bonuses from stats than an 'A' scaling weapon.

For example Pharis's Black Bow (S scaling with dex) scales much worse than a +15 longbow (A scaling with dex) and at +15 it's only marginally better. In demon's souls it would change the letter representing the scaling as you upgraded the weapon, but here it seems like the letter stays the same which makes comparisions somewhat difficult.
I thought that you only got scaling bonuses from your stats over the requirements, too? And the things with better scaling I've seen generally have higher requirements as well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chafe posted:

If you got sucked into the painting, you have to get to the end of the level. If you haven't touched a bonfire yet you can try a homeward bone.
Nope! The actual description of Homeward Bones should apparently be "Sends you back to the last bonfire you rested at unless you just got sucked into a magic painting."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

doomfunk posted:

It's cool, I did the same thing. Just spend all the souls you've got going in there, just in case you eat a death in a bad location.
Man, I was all "huh. Well, guess, I'll explore a bit, maybe teleport out if things get hot. Oh, hey, I have enough souls to afford that emblem key on the parish blacksmith! Time to teleport out and... gently caress."

Guess I should kindle the bonfire so I have 10 flasks when I get back to the game since I'm stuck in here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Category Fun! posted:

I keep dying, my weapon is about to break and none of my other weapons are one handed, and I'm pretty sure I had 10 Estus flasks earlier and now I only have 5. I feel like I'm doing this all wrong :ohdear:
Get the repair box from the merchant in Undead Burg and repair every time you hit a bonfire. As for the flasks, if you rest at a kindled bonfire, you get 10 while a just lit one gets you 5. (The firelink shrine starts kindled, most others you have to cough up Humanity to kindle.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mistermojo posted:

maybe it would be better when messages worked, I saw basically no messages in the Catacombs and I had to read a guide to find the blacksmith and the hidden bonfire (putting it right next to a trap statue, very clever)
I have no idea how messages work. I'll walk past an area I left a message earlier, see nothing, then later check on my messages and find it's still listed, walk back and forth through a hallway and get different messages each time, who knows.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speedboat Jones posted:

Awesome. I guess I"ll just have to stick and move instead of tanking. As a habit, I usually try to tank everything the first time I fight it. Also, is it possible to ever get better than lightning or fire weapons? The other option is stat-scaling stuff, but do I need somewhere around 40+ in a stat to beat out lightning and fire damage?
I believe lightning is less resisted, and the fire blacksmith is down in the catacombs so he's kinda hard to get to while you just make a Lightning weapon out of a +10 instead of a +5 and then needing to find an ember somewhere for +6-10 Fire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Just finished the game, in the last area right before the boss door at the end of the curved staircase there was a message saying "secret area" or something like that, but in the way was a giant crumbled pillar. If I moved my camera around I could see further on past the pillar and down a drop there was another message, so it seems you can get past there, however I couldn't work out how. Anyone got any ideas? I can't find a guide anywhere that mentions it.
It's probably a lie.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dizz posted:

Yeah i saw it right after I posted. I'm not sure if it's recommended i fight that "surprise thing just yet so i'm not going to bother and continue ascending the church.
Probably not, but you should stop by the blacksmith just downstairs from the bonfire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shanty posted:

At the Asylum, any tips for the Demon on second visit? He just slays me with that fire poo poo.

e: Okay after a few more attempts I'm assuming the answer is basically this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhk5N32Tec
I'm pretty sure that is, in fact, magic poo poo, so try a shield with better magic resistance for one thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well. I see why everybody keeps complaining about Orenstein and Smaugh or however you spell their names now. :staredog:

Was I doing something wrong, or should the fat guy have just smashed me into a corner and done large chunks of my health even though I was blocking?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dominic White posted:

The game even drives home the idea that bad-guys don't play fair with the whole Firelink Shrine keeper quest arc. You finally confront the bastard for a dramatic duel, and he's gone and brought a whole bunch of friends.
And then you smash him into the ground with your +4 Lightning Zweihander and kill him with the follow-up strike, preventing him from actually attacking you. :black101:

Is there a renewable source of Titanite Slabs, by the way? I don't even have one to make my Zweihander +5, and I'm worried I might want to max something else out later.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay after smashing my head against Dragoon and Fatty for a while I tried making the crystal shield! That's totally overpowered, right?

Oh, wait, it has a long wind-up and they are pretty fast at murdering me, and it has lovely actual shield value so they just murder me even faster.

Now, assuming summoning people is a non-starter due to lovely internet, can anybody give me some advice for how to get through this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

Grab Solaire's sign on the top of the stairs where the bow wielding silver knight is, if you can only manage to get one human summon. Actually, in some ways he's better than having two human players. Human dudes will hang back if they're hurt of whatever. Solaire is basically relentless and does a good job of occupying on the the two bosses.

Also, have enough flasks to heal yourself and your human phantoms.
Dude, no, I can get zero human summons. And I'm running out of humanity here.

The crossbow might work, though, I'll scrape up some cash and buy some bolts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's a good alternative to the Elite Knight Armor if they're nerfing it in the patch, and where do you find it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bat duck posted:

On this note. When on a ladder, press O (and whatever the x-box equivalent is) and you slide down.
Man, I was wondering if there was a way to jump off ladders. You don't take falling damage or anything, right?

casual poster posted:

Dude is huge and his swing takes away half my stamina? How can I not lose? I only tried once though, going to try a few more times before I ask for help.
Get a better shield? Shove some shards and souls into a hollow soldier shield or the Eagle Shield to boost its Stability, or get more stamina.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

One trick you can do when blocking is to figure out when the attacks will actually connect, and stop blocking between two attacks to get a little stamina back. I think other than the attack where Sif spins around really fast to hit you twice, you have a decent amount of time between his other chained attacks to do this.

Of course, if you're fighting him at a low level, you can always wander off and come back later. He's not blocking anything necessary until you're heading to the Abyss.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Elysiume posted:

It'd be easier to list the things in this game that aren't depressing. I have compiled such a list:
  • Literally smashing enemies to the ground with your Zweihander

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Filthy Monkey posted:

You have to rescue the pyromancer trainer in the depths, shortly after the capra demon. After you do he will move to firelink.

As for starts, pyromancer is probably one of the best, if not the best, considering their high number of stat points. That said, the start you pick doesn't really matter aside from extreme min-maxing. Sounds like you picked warior, which is fine.
Or the starting gear, you won't find knight armor for some time if you don't start as a Knight or sequence break with the master key for example.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Filthy Monkey posted:

People talk about bypassing most of blighttown with it, but that isn't something you need the master key for.
Well, I was talking about starting gear in general, which isn't always particularly relevant. But what's this? Pretty sure the key to get through the back door of Blighttown is, in fact, right next to the back door on the Blighttown side. So without the master key you have to go the long way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Digger-254 posted:

So I'm at Vamos now and looking at my Eagle Shield thinking, "Hey, this shield would be even more rad if it had fire resistance!" If you enchant a shield, does it gain resistance to that element or does it just add elemental damage to an attack I never use, reduce stability I desperately need, and make me feel like a total rear end in a top hat?
It does, but its stability drops like a rock.

EDIT: And there are better shields for fire resistance anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

This is probably true.

Almost all of the player's actions could be explained as 'he went hollow.' You are, after all, just randomly murdering things at the behest of creatures no one else ever interacts with.

The only time you do anything with purpose other than random violence is when you burn a Humanity to co-op or invade.
I prefer the interpretation that your character does not go hollow becuase his brains have been scooped out and replaced with a connection to a PS3 or Xbox controller.

It also helpfully explains why he does random poo poo just becuase somebody vaguely mentioned it. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

McKilligan posted:

Slugs? You mean the larval looking bastards that do that weird short-range fire yell thing? I need to farm some of the green stuff and as soon as I get the covetous serpent ring I'm headed right back down there. What enemies drop it - I read that the larval things in the blighttown swamps, and the goo-piles in the corridor just before the gaping dragon, which is better to farm?
The leeches in the swamp, they have better drop rates, and also drop large uncolored shards. Not the guys who yell fire at you. Go down, then get to where the path from the Depths gets down to the swamp, and go in the opposite direction of the water wheel/bonfire towards the tree. I'm not sure if it's faster to get to this area from the swamp bonfire or the one hidden inside the tree past two illusory walls, but I went with the one inside because I hated navigating past the bottom of the path back up to the Depths.

Equip something with good poison resist, or just suck it up and kill things fast, equip the rusted ring and the gold serpent ring, and murder truckloads of leeches. If you can get a weapon which one-shots them (I used a +5 fire claymore but I think that was overkill) it'll go faster.

Merauder posted:

No, he's talking about the actual slugs, over near the Great Hollow tree branch/where you see Onionbro, not the firebreathing things.
They look more like leeches to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does anybody have a link to a good, comprehensible map of the lower New Londo ruins? I want to make sure I haven't missed anything there while I'm wandering around smashing Darkwraiths into paste before I hit the Four Kings.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EC posted:

The cursebite ring is there, in that godawful ghost house of horrors. You have to drop off the side of it maybe? I never bother with it as I'm usually already done with Seath, and that's about the only practical place to use it. Well, that and the Great Hollow, but those frogs are entirely skippable by just dropping down as far as you can.

Oh, and pick up a jagged ghost blade. Nice damage, fast, heavy bleed, damages ghosts without the need for transient curses, and extra party frames if you use it in your off-hand.
Yeah, I said lower. I already cleaned out Upper. Including getting like three ghost blades and a net profit on transient curses every time I went in. I'm just glad I never have to go back to that goddamn house where EVERY GHOST IN A TEN MILE RADIUS aggros at once.

And it sounds like I've gotten the most important things out of the lower ruins already.

Including one-shotting every single one of the oh-so-fearsome Darkwraiths :laugh: Guess it's time to play Hit Every Wall, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So I beat up the 4 Kings (although if I had done like 100 more damage to the first three it would've been the 3 Kings :laugh:) and now I'm a Darkwraith! With TWO Dark Hands because one of those losers in the no-longer-flooded seciton of the ruins dropped one.

... The hell do I do now?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh hey, I haven't beaten the boss of the Painted World. However, I think I have... maybe 7 or 8 humanity if I cash in all my solid humanity? I've got a whopping zero right now. Also based on my experience fighting invaders while I was assisting at O&S a Zweihander is not a good weapon to use against humans.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Say. Gravelording actually works now, right? And the sign to go to the Gravelord's world and deal with the bullshit is at, roughly (accounting for lag and it not updating every tick, etc) at the Gravelord's location?

Doesn't this mean that the Gravelord's best bet is to go find the hardest to find/get to and/or bullshit to deal with area of the level, and just sit there and wait?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Am I a horrible person for assisting somebody with the boss of the Painted World, and making sure he got all the stuff on the way, and then using that humanity to unhollow and invade people?

EDIT: I got a humanity drain off on a non-AFK target and actually got humanity! Yay, I'm a real Darkwraith now!

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 14, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I beat Anor Londo some time ago. And I mean it's not like I even need to do the "help a guy" part, I'm rolling in humanity now thanks to a bunch of successful invasions and finding some guy AFK and draining him dry. I just treat it as "Time to take a break from griefing people! Let's help people now."

Also I have literally more souls than I know what to do with, since I don't really want to level up and end up with fewer targets, and my pyro flame's maxed out already. Maybe I'll go buy a shitload of twinkling titanite and +5 a suit of silver knight armor or something...

EDIT:

TalonDemonKing posted:

Bonus points for setting down a white soapstone, and invading as red.

(:psyduck:)
Pretty sure you can't do these at literally the same time, but otherwise this is in fact exactly what I'm doing. EDIT EDIT: Oh wait, did you mean trying to help a guy and invading them instead somehow? Haven't pulled that off yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I vaguely remember reading in this thread about people doing it? Pre-patch, though, so I dunno if it's still possible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My first indictment and my first Darkmoon kill! :toot: Guy did not know how to handle me waiting for him at the end of the bridge. I almost managed to push him off the end but he somehow switched places with me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

I used to use the Lightning Zwei, but have since switched to either a Fire Claymore +10 or a Lightning Uchi +5, and have had much greater success in PvP.
Is there a way to get the red chunks I need to upgrade my fire claymore further without advancing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

Red chunks are farmable from the centipedes in Demon Ruins and the second black knight in the Kiln.
... ugh, those loving centipedes. Guess I'll go there when I get bored in the Painted World.

I don't have access to the Kiln.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

You could always just go with lightning, since regular titanite chunks drop much more frequently.
My claymore is already fire +7. Unfortunately, it seems everything that drops red titanite chunks is either in the very last area in the game, or drops it very rarely and/or is nowhere near a bonfire.

EDIT: Hm, I have enough humanity to unlock the Izalith shortcut. What's the point at which humanity stops contributing to item discovery again?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Looks like I need to farm up another 10 humanity then! :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh I've got a +5 Lightning Zweihander. I just want to bump up my +7 fire claymore.

And apparently the only fixed red slab is in Izalith! Welp.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Is there a way to get a second Pyrmomancy Flame? Wiki-ing things indicates that I can trade one for another chunk, and every little bit helps. Can I put it in my box and convince Eyingi to cough up a second one maybe?

I do need to go through the Catacombs again at some point anyway, might as well get the materials to finish upgrading my claymore before I do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EC posted:

What SL/platform are you on? I've got a bunch of gimmick builds that have red/blue chunks that I'll never need.

There's at least one or two guaranteed red chunks in Lost Izalith, in the sewer room where all te weird octupi critters are (where you get the red slab).
PS3, 64. I'm done for the... sun's up, so I guess day, though. I'm hterez on PSN and often found in the Painted World alternately invading or assisting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, time to start up the Dark Souls. Anybody on PSN around level 64 need help with anything?

• Locked thread