Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I know there's a Demon Souls topic but there's probably more people here so I'll ask too: I've beaten 1-1, 1-2 and I'm working on the first part of Tower Of Latria to get the spell npc dude. I started as royalty for the mp regen ring and so far I've just been using souls to raise magic attack..probably going for a pure magic character but is there any equipment I should be looking out for? Most of what I've found is too heavy for me or seems more physical oriented..I haven't changed any of my gear at all. I just upgraded my buckler to +1 and I have a cling ring I think.

The Cresent Falchion in 4-1 would be a big help to you, since it uses your magic stat as a damage multiplier. Also gives you MP regen so you can replace that ring with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up, so I apologize if this has been answered before, but I noticed something odd playing yesterday. While running around, at least 2-3 times, my character flashed with an orange aura for a moment, and I think it may have healed me, but I'm not sure. I thought it might have been someone rating one of the messages I left down, but upon checking my stone, no one has rated any of them yet. Can anyone explain what happened?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LordVorbis posted:

This is when another player in the same location to you cast a heal spell. Possibly in the same covenant but doesn't have to be. Some miracles will pulse like that and boost other players. Similar to how if someone kindles a bonfire you're resting at, you'll get a free flask.

Ahh, that must be it. Also, I experimented with white phantoming last night, helping out with the Bell Gargoyles a few times, and I was able to be healed a few times while as a phantom, and I'm not sure how. I know that as a phantom, you can't use heal spells or your flask, so how was I able to be healed. I then became human, and summoned some phantoms of my own, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to heal them like they did for me.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, everyone online seems to use soul arrow to great effect. What's the quickest way to find a trainer for it, all I've found is a miracle trainer so far who is there at the start (I just beat the Capra demon and went down into the Depths and found a bonfire behind a master key door).

Edit: On a side note, the master key almost seems like cheating, I almost regret grabbing it, but then I remember this game is trying to gently caress me over so I don't feel quite as bad.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stiggs posted:

If you use your Estus flask while you have people summoned, it heals them as well.

I had used it, but it didn't heal the phantoms with me, at least, their health bar didn't go visibly up. Although I wasn't hurt when I drank it, so maybe I need to actually be healed to heal them?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

Where should I be at SL20? The last real boss I fought was the initial Taurus Demon - since then, I've cheesed the dude in the tower below him (yay encumberance ring!), cheesed the titanite demon, and taken down the big knight dude guarding the first Fire Keeper's Soul with the drake sword. I'm rocking a +5 spear, and enough titanite to make my hollow warrior shield into something pretty neat.

Please don't say I have to go upstairs above where the knight was. That loving minion summoning mage dude murdered me last time. Too many people hitting my shield, it drops, then BLAAAAAT dead :(

Should I be heading down the stairs in the Firelink Shrine, to that generally scary / creepy area? Did a quick wander around, found Valley Of The Drakes, got smushed by a big fat dude that poisoned me (but drake sword would have totally taken him, if he hadn't gotten a lucky poisoned hit in).

Consider summoning some help, a lot of people will drop signs on the side of the church or at the altar where the big knight was, and 3 people will clear the church without much trouble.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Assuming that I don't have any ranks in any covenant yet, is there any penalty to me for joining each one to get all their cool new members gift packages, and then going back and staying with the one I want to stick with, or does constantly running around joining them all count as a betrayal?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

Well i killed the gargoyles and rung the bell. Now what? it didn't seem to do anything.

Now you get to go down and ring the other one.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well this game has hosed me over in a way that I have no idea how I'm supposed to recover from. I was in the depths, and got cursed by some toad thing, and died. Now I have 50% of my max HP, at a bonfire way the hell away from anywhere else, and I am having a lot of trouble getting back out of the depths, let along all the way through lower undeadburg. Is there any nearby way to cure this curse, or do I just have to try over and over again to fight my way back upstairs when any enemy can 2-3 hit kill me and there's always 3-4 in any given area?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I'm kind of terrified at the moment of going back into the Depths lest I be cursed again, so until I can afford to buy some of those anti-curse items (souls seem to be really hard to come by in this game compared to Demon's Souls, or is it just me?), so I am wondering if there are any other areas I can get to at this point that would be level appropriate for me (SL23).

Also, if I can bitch a bit, I was just summoned by the worst player ever. He summoned me to help with the Bell Gargoyles, and literally just sat back and expected me to do all the work. Despite me tanking the gargoyles the entire fight, he didn't try to attack even once, just kept running away as far as he could at all times, refused to heal me, and I finally died after getting one killed and the other to about 10% health. So the bastard probably finished them off and did absolutely nothing, and I get nothing in return.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kiwillian posted:

If you put a sign down to help someone and they summon you and then you die, what happens? Do you lose your souls somehow? Given that when you win it just dumps you where you started, I just dunno.

Trying to farm up 20K for that key thingy and I figured helping people on garg or crapra might be the best. Gargoyle is pretty easy but I am not so sure about Capra and don't want to lose everything :(

If you die you respawn at your last bonfire but don't lose any souls.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain exactly how poise and stability work? From my understanding poise is the ability to not be staggered when you block, and stability reduces stamina loss while blocking, but if anyone actually has math or a more detailed explanation, I'd like to know, because I can't figure out what armor I want to use. Is it worth getting 5 poise at the expense of 5 DR and 3 weight? And how significant is the difference between 55 and 60 stability, what do those numbers really mean?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

Am I correct in thinking that I can not invite a specific person into my game? Like if my roommate bought a copy me and him couldn't just play together?

Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm seriously avoiding reading pretty much everything about this game. Including this thread.

If you're in the same place, connected to the same server, one of you is in human form and haven't beaten the boss, he can lay down his sign and you can check his name and summon him, but anyone else can pull him first, so you have to arrange to have him lay it somewhere thats likely off the beaten path, and hope that you're connected to the same server or you won't even see it.

So it's possible but the game is pretty much designed to do everything it can to prevent you from doing that.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Am I going to miss out on a really fun part of the game if I don't have XBL?

If you're not online, you can't be invaded, you can't help others, you can't be helped, you can't see messages, you can't see phantoms, yeah, you're missing out on a fun part of the game. Without the way Dark Souls/Demon Souls did multiplayer, it's just another hard action-rpg, and you lose a lot of what makes it special or unique.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The multiplayer so far is kind of disappointing. I just spent 25 minutes trying to white phantom for the Gaping Dragon fight, and not a single summon. I'm sure more people are playing this than Demon's Souls, which never seemed to be short of people willing to summon you, so why is it such a problem with this game?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is there a better overall shield than the Hollow Soldiers Shield? It seems odd that something that dropped in the first area of the game would be the best, but looking at the stats of every shield when fully upgraded, it looks like it has the highest stability of any 100% physical block shield, and no other 100% physical shield with better magic blocking comes close to its max stability.

Which is a shame because it looks so plain and boring.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

YorexTheMad posted:

It totally can. Most people have the shortcut open (I'm not sure if they're actually dying on Gaping, or just not bothering to summon until the shortcut is clear), but even if they don't the Depths is really not a long level once you know your way around. I got lost down there for like two hours my first time, but my second time through made it from bonfire to unlocking shortcut in just a few minutes, and even the detour to kill Kirk isn't terrible.

Maybe that's what I'll do, I feel like my SL is too low for Blighttown (SL28), at least at my current skill level with the weapons and armor that I have, and dropping my Sigil in the Gaping Dragon stair area almost never gets me summoned. One or two kills of him though should at least let me buy enough shards to get everything to +5.

Speaking of weapons, I'm currently using Astora's Straight Sword, and I like the move set with it (especially the strong attack straight thrust forward), but it seems like I'm starting to get to the point where I'm not outputting enough damage, and that thing is hell to upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions for similar weapons that I can quickly upgrade to similar or better damage with a similar moveset (that I can access at the point I am at).

Palleon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 19, 2011

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dawnfire posted:

If you're on PS3 I can give you a hand if you'd like, though there should be plenty of sigils at the bonfire for that area.

Edit: @D is That Guy:
Don't forget you can fire punch stuff with the pyromancy flame.

I'm actually having problems getting to the first bonfire in Blighttown, although I think a lot of it is my fault for not being careful, or trying to block those guys who grab you through shield block and take away 75% of my health.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dawnfire posted:

Do you have the masterkey? That helps you avoid most of the tougher part of the zone if you go through the valley of the drakes. If not, try backstabbing them as they usually leave themselves open a lot. You can backstab the big guys too, which is often even easier. Just try not to engage the big guys when you're close to a ledge.

Though I can put my sign somewhere earlier in blighttown and I can try to help you that way as well if you need it.

My PSN id is RFennema, if you want to add me, and we both happen to be on at the same time when I play later tonight, then I'll drop you a message and then I might take you up on that (assuming we end up connected in the first place).

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well after experimentation with Dawnfire tonight, we found out that you need to log out of PSN and log back in to switch servers, not just quit the game and reload it. Not sure if we're the only ones who thought otherwise, but thought I would share. So if you're having trouble connecting to someone or not getting summoned, try that.

Edit: Well I'm too slow

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Toiwat posted:

So I have 300k souls and don't know what to do with them. Hints? Pyro flame is maxed, armours from merchant bought, miracles bought, spells bought...

Invade someone and let them kill you, it will be like a birthday present.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Do I need better than an un-upgraded Astora's Straight Sword to progress from where I am? I just tried fighting the Blighttown boss a few times, and not only does she 2-3 hit kill me, but I can only do 30-40 damage a hit two-handed at the moment. I just don't see how I am going to be capable of doing enough damage to her to win the fight before making a mistake that gets me killed (this has been my problem with a few of the bosses, they all kill me in just a handful of hits, and I can't out-dps them).

I could just summon help for the fight but I feel like at some point I should be capable of fighting on my own, but I just don't feel like I can handle any boss 1 on 1 in any capacity. For reference, SL28, 16 vit/end/str, 15 dex, using knights armor +2.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dawnfire posted:

Should probably work on a better weapon at this point. Astora's is a great way to start, but once you start really upgrading your own weapon it starts really doing well. You also should probably decide on what kind of stats you want to put yourself behind. You seem to have gotten the base stats to use most weapons as well, so you have a wide choice of want you can use. Just try not to spread yourself too thin, and find a good weapon style you like and get behind it.

Any suggestion for a weapon that has a similar move set to the straight sword? I like the way it attacks, I just need a lot more power.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I was experimenting with some other straight swords, to find one with a moveset I liked, and one problem I noticed with the longsword and broadsword is that their R2 attack animation is a wide swing, where with Astoras Straight Sword, it's a thrust forward, which is handy for fighting in tight quarters, since I don't have to switch to a spear. Is there any other straight sword that has a thrusting strong attack, or any equivalent that won't hit the wall next to me instead of the guy in front of me?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dawnfire posted:

Yeah, but that huge winddup is pretty much going to get you killed 90% of the time, also I'm pretty sure that longsword's one handed R2 is a thrust. Hence they longsword is very versatile and used by a lot of people.

I'll have to double check the longsword, I thought it was a swing like the broadsword, but maybe I got mixed up.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
^^ I finally got summoned in the Depths to farm the Gaping Dragon, figuring 1-2 runs of that would give me enough souls to buy a ton of shards and upgrade my equipment. Accidentally fell down a hole, the host came with me, and was instantly cursed. I felt pretty bad :(

Kevlar Beard posted:

I dont know about longswords or anything, but I've been fully enjoying my claymore. It's R2 is a super long range thrust, and it's regular light attacks are really fast for a greatsword.

Also, pyromancy is the best loving thing in this game. Spellcasting for melee characters that doesn't scale off attributes? Yes please.

Where can one get a claymore? I'm pretty much giving up trying to advance in the game any more until I can find a weapon I like and actually upgrade it to do any kind of damage.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Houdini posted:

If you leave a message by a female NPC saying "need head" "imminent tail" or "amazing chest" then you're pretty much guaranteed a like.

I have yet to have any of my 12 messages rated, and I have never seen any message with a rating, not a single one. It's really depressing that they require the item to rate messages, because 99% of the people don't seem to bother, and it seems like such an arbitrary barrier. It's one thing to need an item to make a message (although I don't see the point), but given how dead the rating system is, I really hope the patch reverts to the Demons Souls rating system. I just want someone to like one of my messages, if only so I can see what happens.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was having a lot of fun with the cat covenant ring today. I got 3 kills in my first 3 attempts, first was a fight I won straight up, second someone else got him for me, and in the third, he was hiding by the stairs, I jumped on their head and we both fell off the ledge, but credit for the kill. But ever since then all I've ran into are people with white phantoms and fog rings who just obliterate and outclass me in every way. But it's risk free, get an item and free souls if I win, and absolutely no penalty if I lose (and I can get summoned every 3-5 minutes).

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

I keep dying, my weapon is about to break and none of my other weapons are one handed, and I'm pretty sure I had 10 Estus flasks earlier and now I only have 5. I feel like I'm doing this all wrong :ohdear:

The default refill for flasks are 5, if you sit at a kindled bonfire, it can be 10, 15, or even 20, so once you use up those "extra", and die, if you respawn at a non-kindled bonfire, you'll be stuck back at 5.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I fell like I am getting into the swing of things here, beat the Depths without dying, and the Gaping Dragon without dying (although I summoned a Phantom, and he did like 70% of the damage to it but he died with it having 30 HP left. Feel bad for that guy). And that means Blighttown is next and I haven't heard... good things about it...

I did find that Pyromancer dude, which is cool because I always wanted my guy to be Melee focused but have spells as a back up, but how do I get more then one spell equipped at a time? Not having access to my heal spell for the Fire spell is kind of a drag right now.

Put some points into Attunement, you get an extra slot at 12 and 14, not sure how it progresses after that.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

gravyflood posted:

You can summon him?!

He's absolutely useless in the fights I found him summonable for (Gaping Dragon), and he's likely to pretty much instantly die.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

gravyflood posted:

Man, I'm glad I got his ring, then. Even if I am just gonna take it off once I find something worth wearing besides Havel's.

Why would you want to take it off, it gets better as you level up, I'm not sure there's any other ring in the game that comes close to matching how overpowered it is.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BitterAvatar posted:

Okay I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

Is there any way to actually kill the Red Dragon on the bridge without sitting underneath and shooting it with a bow?

I know the Spider Shield drops in The Depths. Is it off a creature or is it a static item to pick up?

I traveled back to the Asylum to get myself purging stones and got 2 and now it refuses to trade anymore of the cracked red orbs. Can I no longer get purging stones from the bird-girl?

I also have a ton of different kinds of armor but none of its upgraded. Do you just find yourself upgrading whatever seems the most useful?

You can only trade in an item once per playthrough for a reward. As for upgrading armor, I'd take a look and see which armors you plan to use for the most part, and try to upgrade those. For me, I was upgrading my knight set, moved over to the elite knight armor when I got that (although I use black leather boots and gloves because the protection is much higher and the wolf ring makes up for the poise loss). At least for me, a vast majority of the armor I get I know I'm never going to use or is extremely situational (like poison/curse resist armor if I know I'm going to need element protection over damage protection).

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

gravyflood posted:

It happened again! This time I used a Homeward Bone and, as soon as I appeared at my bonfire, I got a humanity. No rated messages. This is starting to get a bit weird.

When you kill an enemy in a stage where you haven't killed the boss, you get a certain fraction of a humanity point (something like a fraction of a percent). So just killing random enemies over and over in a world with a living boss will eventually give you humanity "out of nowhere".

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EndOfTheWorld posted:

So a question about Covenants. I'm currently unattached, but thinking about joining the Chaos Servants to gain access to some awesome pyromancy. My question is, if I leave the covenant later, do I get to keep the spells/miracles I gained from joining or ranking in the covenant?

If anyone needs help tonight, my SL 31 self will be camping out in front of the Capra Demon. I'm loaded with Pyromancy, and love helping people take revenge on that jerk.

I'm SL32 myself, and just got into Sen's Fortress, but I don't understand the Capra Demon issues. I beat him on the first try, and honestly, he's the only boss I've been able to beat solo, I've pulled in help for every other boss so far (maybe it's just me or my playstyle, but I feel like compared to Demon Souls, it's much much harder to solo bosses in this game, you really need someone to distract them to get in any appreciable damage at melee).

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is killing Forest Covenant members while not part of the Covenant lock you out of it? I'm currently a member of it, so that I can try to kill Sif without too much hassle, and also am taking advantage of the PVP for a while. If I join another Covenant, then slaughter everyone in the forest over and over for souls, can I still rejoin later and be best buds with Alvina?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

potaties posted:

I haven't been able to get summoned a single time so far in NG+. I've tried hanging around every boss room for 15-20 minutes, but to no avail. It's making it annoying to get into the Warriors of Sunlight :mad: I'm at SL85 now, and I wasn't getting any bites at either Gaping Dragon or Quelaag, so I'm trying to go back to the gargoyles to see what my luck is here. It's too hard to tell if I'm underleveled, overleveled, or if there aren't enough people in NG+ yet :(

I find its a lot easier to be summoned near an area bonfire than the boss gate. Sometimes you can get pulled, but a lot of people drop near bonfires, and if they already have 2 guys, then they're obviously not going to be summoning you.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well after complaining yesterday that I couldn't figure out how to solo any boss in this game, I found the solution: That nifty little lightning spear I picked up in Sen's Fortress, which outdamages every weapon I have by huge margins.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ball Stink posted:

So not just my copy, but everyones?

I've never had that happen to me, none of those things actually.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sumixam posted:

OK. I always feel apprehensive about leveling some equipment because I might get better poo poo soon. Should I push through B-town or go through Darkroot first? I'm pretty under armored at this point, I feel.

Going through parts of Darkroot not only can get you some great armor and rings, but the enemies there also drop a lot of mosses that you'll want for Blighttown, so it's at least worth doing some exploration there for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Yes, it is.

gently caress Capra, and gently caress not being able to get assists. Such a frustrating boss. I'll show him! Blighttown back door, here I come!

If you're within range of my character (SL33) and on the PS3, I'll help you out in a few hours if you want. I was pulled in to assist last night, while the other guy ran up the steps in terror, I took away 75% of his health with one stamina bar's worth of lightning spear attacks.

• Locked thread