Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm loving lost in most games these days and they all come with maps and pathfinding. I'm sure I'm going to get lost a lot but I'm looking forward to exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

k3nn posted:

IGN are running a 24-hour marathon for some reason if anyone's bored and fancies a quasi-LP experience: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Brother Scrotum posted:

If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Keep in mind that to play online with the 360 you need to pay for a subscription. The PS3 does not require one.

If you're trying to make a console decision I'd suggest looking for other games you're interested in and make a selection based on which system has more exclusives that you'd want to play.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

waspinator posted:

What are the odds of IGN putting up the 24 hour cast as a vod? I'd love to rewatch the first few hours of it.

http://www.twitch.tv/brandon505/b/296296039

:ssh:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Darth Windu posted:

Yup, they're all on the same server this time.

Oh god, does this mean PSN players are gonna get ganked hard on Tuesday? I assume 360 gets almost no play over in Japan.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Are all covenants mutually exclusive?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dan Didio posted:

Oh my god, just glanced at a stream and Dark Gwyn? I think, the one with the giant flaming sword is terrifying.

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett currently getting owned by this boss. Dude is running Zweihander only, no projectiles.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I never played Demon's Souls but Warrior starts out with a 100% block shield so that's probably a solid beginner class.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Has anyone been using Iron Skin? I'm hoping to make a heavy armor/high str build that uses it, proabably combined with some electric resistant armor to offset the spell's weakness, sacrificing all of my mobility to be a juggernaut.

I've only just gotten into the Berg Depths though so I have yet to see the spell in action.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Talran posted:

Works pretty well if you know how to use it, even using light armor and popping it damage to me turns into chips

Thanks for the response. Any idea if it scales with an upgraded catalyst? How bad was the mobility hit to you?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nigulus Rex posted:

I really want to get the bonfire behind the dragon on the bridge (and open that gate) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do so. If I sprint down and stick in the left corner, he jumps down eventually and walks up to/by me but if I move he just fire blazes the whole bridge multiple times. Any tips?

I shot him with a bow and he jumped down to the bridge. Right after he landed I just ran past him to the bonfire.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

der juicen posted:

*be wary of dragon*

*hears wings, looks up in time to see fire*

:saddowns:

I saw a grey phantom walk ahead of me on the bridge and stop. I stopped at the same time to see what happened. Then we both turned around at the same time to run as the fire came.

I didn't die though :)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Game loving owns. Other players don't.

After killing the (sewer boss)Gaping Dragon I wanted to see if I could get a ton of souls by helping other players kill him. Three summons in a row my hosts all managed to get one shot by the boss.

I finally got enough stats to one-hand my Black Knight Sword and man does it own. I took a trip into Blight Town and eventually made it to the bottom. Being poisoned actually wasn't that bad for me since I got the Evil Eye ring out of the sewers. All of the annoying wasps turned out to be a great source of health regen. The ring is also very helpful in co-op since you can heal incidental damage just by killing things.

I think I went the wrong way though, I ended up in the Great Hollow and killed the boss there and now I have no idea how I'm supposed to get back to the surface.

I'd like to join the Sun Warrior covenant even though I have no interest in faith spells, but if people can't stay alive long enough for me to complete the mission I might as well not bother. Was planning on going Gravelord eventually anyway.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Revitalized posted:

gently caress that (sewer boss)

Basically what Pirate Nipple said. Wait for the boss to attack/charge, then hit it in the tail or back legs. Hold your weapon two handed for more damage, you shouldn't need to block or roll if you do things properly, just sprinting in and out when it's safe to hit.

Don't get greedy, hit the boss three or four times, or whatever you feel safe doing and then run away.

You don't *have* to stick to the back area but if you're too close to the front you risk getting grabbed, and if you're in front of the leg when the boss starts charging you'll get stepped on.

Earlier I read about people complaining about never being summoned. Don't bother putting down summoning signs early in the game. Most people probably haven't realized you need to be in human form to summon help. I'd also suggest putting your summoning sign down near an area entrance or a bonfire close to a boss since those places will have more traffic.

Speaking of which, if you want to have more multiplayer experiences. Be in human form as much as possible. You can't summon if you're hollowed, and you can't be invaded if you're hollowed.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

where is there a bonfire near the armored boar? i'm still working off of the one in the undead burg :[

If yourun pastthe bridge dragon instead of going under it there is a bonfire and a gate to the parish right there.

Easy way to get past the dragon: Assuming you're coming from the burg's fire, go up the ladder, then go up the stairs and walk outside for a second to get him to clear off the bridge, then use a bow to shoot him in the face after he lands. He'll fly down to the bridge and you can just run right past him.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

how do i kill big bad tower boss guy? i usually do okay by just dodging and countering but i only do 18 damage a swing and it's so slow :[

Are you talking about Taurus or a Black Knight? Black Knights aren't bosses but early in the game you should just leave them alone. I killed the first Black Knight I came across by clearing out the area so I could kite and then I threw fireballs at him. The one at the top of the tower you can pull all the way down the staircase if you're uncomfortable fighting him on top of the tower.

If you're talking about the Taurus Demon then you're better off getting a new weapon if you're only doing 18 damage per swing. Either farm the zombies with axes until you get a battle axe or buy something better from the burg shop. The shop is underneath the two spear/shield zombies close to the bonfire, outside on a balcony.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 6, 2011

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Funkmaster General posted:

How do you even poison a club in the first place?

You know those dung pies you sometimes loot off the fatties? Yeah.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

DreadCthulhu posted:

I collected a lot of souls that I haven't used yet. How do I know how many I need for next level? Is there a way to compute it? I don't want to just eat all of my souls right now and then discover I still don't have enough and eventually lose them all..

The game doesn't tell you how many souls you need to level. The strategy guide has a ridiculously long list up to the 700s if I remember correctly.

As for your consumable souls, I'd say just let them pile up until you see something expensive you want to buy.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I joined the Chaos covenant to try the fireball spell, then I went to firelink and joined Way of White and I can still cast Great Chaos Fireball. I don't know if this means all the covenant rewards are permanent, but not all rewards will disappear.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Was watching a Japanese player stream (well, he lives in Japan anyway) and now I think I might have to try a faith build.

http://www.justin.tv/nechronic/b/296966052

Inivisible, unlockable? No problem! Just walk around with my AoE slow on and then one shot you with another AoE when I find you.

I think it's faith at least, magic shield is sorcery but tranquil walk of peace is faith. Anyone know what spell he was killed with?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Sen's Fortress:

Turns out the black knight at the top of Sen's Fortress right near the bonfire respawns a long with the regular enemies. he's dropped a Greataxe, Greatsword, Steel Gauntlets, Tower shield and a few large titanite shards for me. I don't know if he's a black knight like the others but it's a pretty sweet deal.

Technically it's a "Heavy Knight" not a Black Knight, according to the guide, anyway. The guide shows a C rating for large titanite so with the serpent ring they should be easy to farm. The rest of his drops are rarer, A ratings, but you can get an entire Steel Set off him if you farm long enough. Ironically he doesn't drop his huge mace which is the thing I want the most :argh:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm having trouble clearing out the bottom floor of Sen's Fortress. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with the two titanite demons? I can take one just fine, but having to dodge one while the other throws lightning at you sucks.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kortel posted:

For the Armored Boar, are you suppose to beat him the first time you see him or come back later? Right now I'm only doing 12 damage a hit on the thing.

Backstab. Or make him run into one of the fires down there. Or use a plunging attack. There's a skull item on the bridge over him that you can use to lure him closer to the bridge in order to plunge attack.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sarcophallus posted:

Fellow Gravelords:

Have any of you had any luck using Eyes of Death?

Any successes, notifications of failure, or invasions?
I've noticed you can leave the area you're in while doing it, so I'm not fully sure whether it effects 3 peoples worlds at random regions, or just the one where you used the item.

Tried googling and looking on GameFAQs. Most reports from Gravelords are that poo poo never seems to happen and there's no feedback so you have no idea if your summons are even doing anything.

Read another rumor that you're supposed to give Eyes of Death to Nito and you'll get a non-consumable one that hopefully works better, or at least you won't have to farm the loving things. They're only rare drops from basilisks (curse frogs.) You can buy them from a merchant in the Tomb of the Giants for 4k though.

I decided to play around with other covenants for now, but once I find that merchant I'm going to buy a shitload of eyes from him and see if there's any truth to that rumor.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gifts for Audiophiles posted:

I've got kind of a spoilery question about the Catacombs, I was told by the prisoner from Undead Parish and the Miracle selling NPC in Firelink that his Lady was trapped down in the Catacombs. It took a while, but I have now gone through the whole Catacombs, killed the necromancer and found the skeleton blacksmith, all the way through to the next area without finding her. Did I just miss something or is she not down here at all/was it a time-sensitive event?

Saw it on a stream, she's actually in the Tomb of the Giants, which I think is the next area.

e: I want to use my Iron Golem soul to make a special axe. I have the +10 weapon required. Do I need to use the soul in my inventory or a specific blacksmith to make the special axe?

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 8, 2011

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Houdini posted:

Where's the best place to go after ringing the first bell? The catacombs kills me, the butterfly kills me and the ghosts kill me.

Go back to the Dragon Bridge, close to where you met Solaire there is a door you should be able to unlock with a key found at the Parish. If you didn't get the key it's close to the inner gate, near the switch.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

hcenvirons posted:

Quelagg bullshit How do I know when she's going to use her giant gently caress off, AoE fire explosion? I'm happily cutting up her rear, and then bam, dead. There's a roar but it doesn't seem like it gives enough response time.

When she slumps over she's going to do the fire explosion. I suggest only attacking only when she's just finished a swing, or when she's doing the large lava spit. Otherwise keep your shield up.

If you use pyromancy, you might want to pack Flash Sweat for that fight.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Uznare posted:

What does the Crest of Artorias do? I have enough souls to buy it but I'm not sure if I should invest on it or just raise my soul level instead.

Opens up the best grinding spot in the game, you can literally make that 20k back in minutes once you get in there.

http://youtu.be/kbFjdnYP9S4

e;fb

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm wondering about the fastest way to kill the guys with shields and spears. Someone above suggests kicking them, but when I kick the guys, it doesn't break their guard. Likewise, I'm not fast enough to get around behind them, even rolling - I don't think I've ever killed one other than by waiting for him to strike and hitting him quickly before he can.

These guys are taking me forever, longer on average than I took for the boar.

Just hit their shield. It'll make them attack. Block their attack and then they'll stagger, which leaves them open for your attack.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Any hints on the gargoyle fight? I'll do fine till about half way then his buddy turns up and suddenly its impossible to land a single hit with all the loving Fire and spears and poo poo everywhere. I cut off their tail which helpsish, but not really enough.

Use your gold pine resin if you have any. They're weak to lightning. If you're a pyro, fireballs do decent damage as well. Once the first one gets close to half try to burn him down before the second one arrives.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Crowbear posted:

Awwwww man I got really excited about the Crimson Robe set I picked up in Blighttown, since at base level it has better defenses than my black leather set and it kept me 0.5 under my 25% equip burden.

Then I found out the whole loving set needs Twinkling Titanite to upgrade, which I only have 2 of, so my upgraded Black Leather set is actually better :suicide:

Is there a place to farm Twinkling Titanite at some point after ringing the second bell?

Guide says Man Eater Shells are the only things that drop them. Fairly rare at B rating. They're at the Ash Lake, which is at the bottom of The Great Hollow, which is at the bottom of Blight Town. Pain in the rear end to get to AND a pain in the rear end to fight.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

dudeman posted:

I've been looking around and trying to read up on it from various sources, but the Covenant of the Gravelord servant is really poorly explained.

I was under the assumption I would receive an item similar to a white soapstone for leaving marks in my world that would spawn phantoms in 3 other player worlds. Except all I received was a sword and miracle. I then gave all my Eyes of Death to the gravelord hoping I would get something, but I guess I didn't have enough.

Then I read that the Eyes of Death are what I'm supposed to use to plant phantoms in other worlds, except the eyes are apparently for luring phantoms into my own world?

I mean I know players are supposed to be able to invade me if they find my gravelord mark so they can lift the curse on their world, but why would I need to use up an item I'm supposed to give to my covenant, in order to do the thing my covenant is supposed to do?

:psyduck:

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious, otherwise I'm kind of regretting joining.

I read a rumor that you get a non-consumable item that does the npc invasion thing after you give enough eyes to Nito. Can't confirm yet though. The only way to get eyes is to buy them from the merchant in the Tomb of the Giants or to farm them from the curse frogs at a low drop rate.

You shouldn't regret joining though, you can just join another covenant and keep your new sword :v:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Apparently Demon Titanite does not drop from any respawning enemies, so you can't farm it. Don't waste it. I used mine to upgrade my Gravelord Sword to +5 and I haven't found anything better, it is just SO good for the damage it does and the speed that it swings. I'm not sure if it will carry me through the rest of the game but I just finished Anor Londo and I feel like I can take on anything now that I have my own Fatass armor and a Giant Shield.

If I knew beforehand that the merchant who appears under the bridge just outside firelink after you clear the depths sells different armor depending on which bosses you have beaten, I would've killed Ornstein last instead of Smough at the end of Anor Londo. I imagine the fat guy armor is going to be trolltastic in PvP though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

charismaslover posted:

Anyone know any good soul farming spots so I can buy the Crest of Artorias from the blacksmith? I need 15,000 more souls.

If you get summoned to help with a boss and stay alive until the boss dies you'll get tons of souls. You can sit around and kill bosses all day as long as people are around that need help and you're close enough to their level.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

The iron golem is actually pretty easy once you figure him out. He is mostly a battle of positioning. Staying right around his feet all the time seems appealing, but there is the chance of being grabbed, which is pretty much instant death. The way I beat him was to position myself at about swipe range. When he would swipe, I would move in, get a couple of hits (the swipe will miss at close range), then back off to swipe range again. Repeat until dead.

I don't have the sword, but the third strike is probably triggering the bleed effect, not auto-critting.

The Golem is hilariously easy if you have a strong weapon. Here's what you do:

As soon as you get in IMMEDIATELY make a beeline for him, run between his legs to get behind him, then switch to two-handed mode. Focus all of your attacks on one leg and hit it as hard and as fast as you can. The boss will stagger, just keep hitting the same leg. If you hit it enough while he's staggering he'll fall over. If you did it soon enough, he'll still be on the small section of roof he was on started on, and is likely to fall off. If he doesn't fall off he'll land on his rear end and you'll get another 10 seconds or so of free hits.

If you have phantoms with you then the boss will probably die immediately after you knock him over.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Uznare posted:

I really wouldn't suggest going that way, if you have a master key access Blighttown from the New Londo Ruins/Valley of Drakes shortcut. Otherwise, if you must go that way just keep hugging the left, going down when necessary, when you can't hug the left anymore go right until you reach the swamp, there's a bonfire to the right of the place you can descend into the swamp from.

If you like to be tanky it's worth taking the long way down because there's a decent tower shield up there.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I upgraded that eagle shield to +10, and am using it right now. I have better shields, but I don't have the 30+ strength to use them. For 16 strength req, the Eagle shield is pretty good.

What do you get from upgrading shields? I basically only choose my shields based on stability and resists, and I thought upgrading improved neither.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nigulus Rex posted:

The gaping dragon keeps killing me. I cut off his tail without fail, and every loving time at some point, without fail, he squashes me. I try to sprint away but I can't get out of the way.

Sounds like you're staying in for too long. Try getting two or three swings and then running away. Always attack the back leg or the tail end so you don't get caught if it turns. Don't even bother attacking unless the dragon has just finished a charge or is still recovering from another attack.

You should never need to block or even lock-on for this fight. Just run in, get a few hits, and run out before it does something else.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. I killed him after I only attacked when he charged. That was pretty easy actually -_-

Thanks for the tips.

Does anyone know where you can train pyromancy if you kill the pyro guy in the depths? I didn't mean to kill him but I hit his barrel with my sword by accident and had to finish the job.

The other pyro trainer is in the swamp at the bottom of Blight Town. For future reference, you can break barrels and such by rolling, which won't hurt npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Being that I've never played a souls game, would it be bad for me to pick up the strat guide?

The strategy guide loving owns. Get it.

I got my first character to level 55 or so and past Anor Londo. Today I started a new character to try a faith build and I'm pretty much already caught up. The game goes so much faster when you know what to exploit.

Basically I went and got the Dragon Crest Shield + Astoria's Straight Sword ASAP, then rushed to Gaping Dragon. After that I had enough souls for the blacksmith's seal. I spent some time grinding in the forest to get my stats high enough to use the Gravelord Sword. After I finished grinding I picked up the Stone Armor, and the Drake Sword to make killing Havel easier for his ring. With the ring I could equip the Stone Armor, so I used that along with the Drake Sword to clear my way to the Gravelord Covenant access, switching to Astoria's Straight Sword for killing blows so the skellies wouldn't respawn.

Now I just need to scrounge up some Demon Titanite to get the Gravelord Sword to +5 and I'll be all caught up to where my other character was. In a day.

Once I get Tranquil Walk of Peace and God's Wrath I'm gonna go Darkwraith and kill some people.

• Locked thread