Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You hold down circle to run (it seems you need at least two or three steps), then tap it to jump. Either you make it to the other side or you fall to your death. Nothing is automatic and safe in this game, you should know better than that.
Since your inventory is unlimited can you just, say, strip naked if armoured, jump over and put all your clothes back on?

Also I am totally being a knight in Dark Souls because I rolled Fluted Armour 24/7 in Demon's Souls knowing full well I was gimping myself. :colbert:

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Smelly posted:

Might as well join the :bandwagon:

http://goo.gl/HGFnb
what the hell does this do you're welcome

http://goo.gl/AOQCx

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

fivetwo posted:

loving a, slowdown on 360 version? do i need to buy a ps3 just for this game?
From Software is a Japanese developer. The PS3 is far more popular in Japan than the 360. Just like over here the 360 is usually the head development platform over there it's the PS3. So chances are it'll run better on the PS3 but it shouldn't be a huge deal.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Lenaway posted:

The slowdown is in both versions of the game. Apparently the game is something like 3.7gb so no compression. There might be some issues but I doubt they'll be major. The PS3 version has a 270,000 person lead in player base though.

I've had this pre-ordered for the 360 since May. They could tell me it only runs in black and white, I'm just excited to slay and be slain.

http://goo.gl/7Lt5E
From what I understand it's in both but there's less on the PS3. Which isn't really surprising. Both are fully playable though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

This game looks like Castlevania, except every single enemy has the potential to kick your rear end.
Yes and no. If it's anything like Demon's Souls stuff will ruin you until you get the mechanics and the enemies figured out.

For the hell of it I went from a NG++ character to a NG character. Demon's Souls feels tremendously easy now, to the point where I'm baffled how I had so much difficulty on my original playthrough. Of course now I'm familiar with the enemies, what weapons I like and how to tear apart bosses. Also how to farm and dupe upgrade shards to save myself hours of farming :ssh:.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The more souls, the better!

http://goo.gl/P7lIc

So has anyone ordered from Amazon.com up to Canada for release day games? How fast are they? At the time the CDN site didn't have the preorder up.
If you're in Canada pre-order from BestBuy. They don't guarantee release day shipping but I got my last game off them same-day release. Plus your get 800 BB reward zone points (aka. $10 gift certificate) which you can put toward and in-store purchase.

Plus they actually have the Limited Edition stuff available with no hassle.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, more like a specific kind, there is one group of enemies that my weapons all do a flat 10 damage per hit to, and another that my attacks go right through without touching.
Haha, that's fantastically cruel.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 30, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

This game will blow you away... a thrilling, visceral experience. 11/10
-IGN.com
Maybe if it was GTA Dark Souls.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Haven't beat the game yet and I've heard new game+ is a lot harder but that's as far as a lot of reviewers go. I suck at games pretty badly but find myself scratching my head at reviewers who bashed DeS for its "impossible" difficulty (like Yahtzee). Really excited for Dark Souls, I really hope the world's are more varied and that there's more difficulty (which I've heard it does have, I've avoided streams). Got it on pre-order :).
New Game+ is absolutely loving amazing, honestly. It's a lot tougher but the enemy tactics are exactly the same. So if you remember how to beat things you'll be fine. If anything NG+ hones your skills to perfection. Beating the False King on NG+ solo is certainly one of my best achievements in gaming.

I just went back to New Game from New Game++ and I'm honestly almost laughing at how much rear end I'm kicking in New Game.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 1, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

How is the character appearance customization this time? Can I give my guy a beard without him look liking some transvestite potato face horror?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I've seen that movie.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

My order may not arrive tomorrow and I am ok with it. Ya'll need to take notice. :clint:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Has anyone tried to kill the dragon by shooting arrows at it's tail? Is this feasible/how many arrows would it take?
If Demon's Souls is something to go on you shouldn't be surprised if it's like 300+

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

So Demon's Souls has the thief ring and the cling ring in the first level which make it tremendously easier than without. Does Dark Souls have something similar? My copy should arrive today so I'd like to hit the ground running.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

So I found a Firewatcher Soul and was like "sweet these will upgrade my Flask" so I consumed it and nothing happened. So I looked it up online. Fuuuccckkk have I just poo poo up my game? I hope not because I've spent 10 hours in it farming the poo poo out of upgrades for a long, long time. Seriously I only just beat the two gargoyles. There are more right? I didn't just ruin my game? :(

Not spoiling this in hopes of saving someone from doing what I did.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

evilalien posted:

It will make your early game a bit harder, but there are plenty more of those to upgrade your flask later.
Do they stack?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there a significant difference between a quick roll and a medium roll? I'm referring to http://darksouls.wikidot.com/endurance . I feel like the character is super nimble under 25%, but I can't really tell how severe the impact of medium roll is.

Basically keeping burden under 25% even with Havel's ring is really hard unless you're ok with wearing rags.
Under 50% the roll is fine to dodge, in my opinion. You'll be able to quickly get out of the way and recover fast enough to dodge another attack if necessary. You won't, however, find it easy to capitalize on your roll and retaliate or backstab. Quickrolling, however, will allow you to pull that off. I think, no matter what, you will always want at least a 50% or less equip burden because sometimes you simply need to avoid taking damage.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

x2601 posted:

It's happening to me too and I've tried both wireless and wired. Same result.

This is the last game I'd want to have to tolerate a bug like this. :(
I'm on PS3 and I get the exact same thing. Safe to say it's probably not wireless interference.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Buying the purging stone made realize I'm broke as poo poo. Zero humanity, 800 souls, no upgrade materials (I've upgraded four times, too). Where's a good place to grab titanite shards and souls?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Right here. Save up 20k souls, buy the entrance key for the area. Farm 60-80k souls. Head back to the blacksmith, buy a bunch of shards. Voila. Exit with +5 in every weapon you want and +3 in every armour.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 11, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

So in the Firelink Shrine, off to the side out of the ground, a giant loving head just appeared. I shot it with some arrows from far away, as you do with anything loving huge in Demon's/Dark Souls, and eventually he just said I wasn't a god or something and left. What the hell was that?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

You may have just hosed yourself there buddy, go get absolution from the priest in the belltower or you may not be able to continue with the plot.
What are you supposed to do then?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

MadJackMcJack posted:

A merchant.

No, seriously.
what the hell

does he sell anything good

Bland posted:

Not attack the friendly monster that wants to help you save the world
God drat, in DS I always went by "is it the size of a person?" if yes then maybe don't attack it if it doesn't aggro. If it is better than a person kill it ASAP.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

He is the single most important NPC in the game. I dont think you can continue without him. He holds all the knowledge of what you need to do to complete the tasks and end the game.
haha oh poo poo, welp, guess I'll see if he comes back and if not I suppose it's back to the top of undead parish for some absolution I guess

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Man reading in this thread about the difficulties people experience is amazing. I went through the Depths with no problems, I was even prepared as I bought shitloads of Curse cure before I went but didn't even need to use them once. I went through the entirety of Blighttown co-op with one other guy, first time for each of us, and we didn't die and we beat the boss first try too.

Then of course I poo poo up my game by killing a pretty important but non-essential NPC in the Firelink Shrine because gently caress me he looked evil. Oh well, I consumed a Estus Flask enhancer thinking it would improve them instead of trading it to the mute so I should have restarted my game ages ago.

I think this is quite a bit like Demon's Souls in terms of difficulty. When you know where to go and what to expect, where to farm and what items to get you can really kick rear end. Upon restart I've got an Estus Flask+2, a Winged Spear+5, Long Sword+5, Long Bow+5, Havel's Ring and a full set of Elite Knight Armour+4. I haven't even got to the gargoyles yet.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 13, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading Astora's Straight Sword to +5. Is it worth it to fully upgrade it?
Fully upgraded it does 120 phy / 120 mag damage along with C / C stat modifiers too. Plus it looks loving amazing which is the only reason to ever equip anything in this game. :colbert:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

OK do the messages in this game just loving suck rear end or is it just me?

It's just loving message, after message of either "I DID IT!", "GOOD LUCK" or "PRAISE THE SUN!"

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress Blighttown. Nothing was as bad as this. Nothing.
Get a loving good spear, buy 999 of the cheap arrows, get yourself a good bow and summon the poo poo out of everything you possibly can.

Also, those big guys? Backstab solves that problem.

EDIT: Oh and for gently caress's sake spend all your souls/humanity on poo poo BEFORE you get to Blighttown. Chances are you're just going to die and lose it at least once so might as well have a fully stack of anti-poison.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 14, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Also, spend humanity? What? I'd kindled every fire I came across.

So I went to take a piss and mosquitos came out of nowhere and mobbed me. I heard myself die and could do nothing (because I don't want to pee all over my room).
Youcan quit the game and come right back where you left off, enemies dead and all.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Brace posted:

gently caress this out already? What's the goon census? I never played Demon Souls because I only have a 360, but wasn't this supposed to even better than the first?
This is 300+ pages of people complaining about how much this game sucks rear end

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

gravyflood posted:

Just got this today. What am I supposed to do about the dragon that keeps breathing fire down the path right after the Taurus Demon?
Run fast, shield up and keep to the right. Get down the stairs as soon as you can.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Tokubetsu posted:

General armor upgrade question. I'm at the black smith in Anor Londo and I'm not too sure what to do. I don't like having fatty roll so I'm still using my elite knight armor and not havel or silver knight gear. Is it worth reinforcing the EK armor past +3 or is there better similar weight class gear in front of me?
When you upgrade armour you need to ask yourself one question:
"Do I look awesome?"
If the answer is yes, then it is worth taking to +10.

Stat wise I was reading about how ENA was basically the heaviest armour you can wear and still be able to get <50% equip burden with Havel's ring and wield some gently caress-off heavy weapons/shields.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Vargs posted:

Why is it so much easier to invade people than it is to help people? I've spent the last few hours using my red orb in the parish church and I typically invade someone within seconds. Maybe 2-3 minutes tops. Meanwhile it takes 10-20 minutes to get summoned as a white phantom when I put my sigil down in between the church entrance and the blacksmith.
I've been reading that apparently your White sigil doesn't show across all games. So you have to plant it, wait, then replant it a minute later for it to show up on other games.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

drat I've been freezing a lot lately in this game. Like 5 times total, in like 50 hours of playtime but still, it's a hell of a lot for a console game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

CountingWizard posted:

Replace your hard-drive. I had that issue with my PS3 when I installed a new HD and it turns out it was defective. My loading times were also really long and in GT5 the framerate would periodically freeze and stutter for a few seconds while racing around the course.
Seriously? I haven't even had it a year and I only have 4 games for it. Jesus, sharp quality control.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Grondoth posted:

I had at least 5 white phantoms fail to summon when I used their sign, which was astounding. I thought I hit the jackpot with all those white signs around. I reset my router, cause... hey, who knows. Maybe it's that. When I got back in, only mildred and no other signs except for a couple red ones, and I KNEW I was online.

They've gotta do something about these lobbies. That's insane.
I think we just need to get the word out to recycle putting down signs. Put one down, wait a minute, the put it down again. It's got me in other people's games pretty quick.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Vertigus posted:

I kept trying to roll past the Capra Demon and usually never got anywhere. When I got up onto the stairs, I realized that my sword would just bash into the wall instead of hitting the dogs.

If you're finding yourself repeating the fight over and over again and getting more and more frustrated, just go human and get somebody to help you. The fact that a huge part of the challenge is the camera means I wouldn't have gotten much satisfaction out of beating it myself, anyway.

Also, it seems like I spend half of my time in Blighttown with the camera inside a ceiling filling the entire screen with black. God dammit, From.
Always have a thrusting weapon of some type for corridors. I much prefer a long sword type weapon than my Winged Spear for the average fight but the superb reach and avoiding hitting the walls with every attack makes it a winner. Additionally with a spear you can block and attack at the same time which makes the Capra fight a bit easier. The most important thing to do in the fight is to get on the stairs and fight on the stairs while going up.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Can anyone who has been white phantom'ing a lot list where the popular places for signs are?
Beginnings of levels, right beside bonfires and right outside the boss wall entrances.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

charismaslover posted:

After 60 mins I now have 99 humanity and thanks to the constantly respawning enemy I also have 285,000 souls to use.

At least now I can get the humanity gift covenants out of the way.
where'd you pull this off?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

diospadre posted:

Google and searching this thread have both failed me, where can I find a Greatsword and a Bastard Sword?
Bastard Sword is bought from the first merchant you encounter isn't it?

EDIT: Claymore (Greatsword) is underneath the giant red dragon, so kill him and you can get it.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 16, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

God drat, this entire game hasn't been too bad but gently caress me the Tomb of Giants is just ridiculous. Can't see a God drat thing and every enemy will just poo poo you up beyond measure given the slightest opportunity. Demon's Souls always felt tough but fair to me but Tomb of Giants I almost don't even want to finish it because it's so drat annoying. I'll take Blighttown in spades over ToG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Sen's Fortress. Just starting it.
Die once, embarrassingly, to snakes. Figure out patterns and to lure them into arrow traps. Roll past a few pendulum blades. Die a few times to careless rolls and getting knocked off the ledge. Note to self to upgrade Eagle Shield further. Die another few times on the bridge. Discover not 1. Not 2. But 4 titanite demons lurking at the bottom of the pit. Die from fall damage and getting stomped. Remember to equip rusted iron ring. Kill one demon, recover souls, hike stairs to find chain puller. Kill him, find Soothing Dragonslayer's Ring. Die a few times to ball traps due to being terrible. Make it to the top. Die again after getting split by a pendulum at the very top, knocking me all the way back to the bottom.

Cannot find the bonfire. Or the lightning spear, supposedly in here somewhere.

I had to take a break for a while
Don't roll past the pendulums. Even with <50% equipment there's only like one set you have to sprint past. The rest you can just jog if you pause in between.

• Locked thread