Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The real Dark Souls thread starts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IGN (pronounced "ugh") is doing the same review-in-progress that Gamespot is doing. Here's a hilarious little tidbit from it relating to a certain strategy in Demon's Souls. Sorry for the huge black spoiler box; it is truly a gameplay/strategy spoiler, but a hilarious one.

(About a dragon in the distance) Standing just out of range of his fiery exhalations, I fired arrow after arrow at his face, doing miniscule damage with each one. After about five minutes of this, he got pissed off with me and, to my horror, jumped down onto the actual bridge and stomped over to say hello. Terrified, I scampered back to an alcove further down, hiding from his thrashing attacks. I was trapped. All I could do was dart out and fire the odd arrow at him whenever there was a break in his raging.

About one hour and 300 arrows later, with the dragon about halfway towards death, I accidentally pressed the wrong button and stepped backwards off the bridge. So it goes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rakanakle posted:

Weren't they just sitting outside the entrance to the boss battle in 2-2, or were there more punchy weapons besides the Fists of God or whatever they were called?

There were two others -- Claws and Iron Knuckles, yet all three shared the same attacks/animations. And yup, Hands of God were in a nook right before Flamelurker; you had to kill/evade 3 or 4 of those lava-spewing sandworms to get them. Alternatively, killing either of the blacksmiths in the game yields the drop. I stupidly blew 8 or 9 soul levels to get my Faith high enough to use them and ended up hating them. :( Gotta have dat shield...

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 29, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This thread's moving pretty quickly!

Dark Souls: Where The Scraping Spear At

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm clicking every link on this page so here's one more.

http://goo.gl/13Ooe

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rexicon1 posted:

This game will blow you away... a thrilling, visceral experience. 11/10
-IGN.com

Counting all sources of bias, I'm expecting low-to-mid 9.x from IGN.

vvvvv Well that's certainly a welcome surprise. I was getting sick of Panterabeard not answering my tweets about stairs, pretzels, and proper exercise warm-up techniques.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 30, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gonna go play dumb and check the on-campus Gamestop to see if "the game I ordered is in stock." Using fake surgery for next week if they say I can't have the sparkly. Will have Scraping Spear & Baby's Nail in backpack as an absolute last resort. Wish me luck goons.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That'll never work.

You need to go to the super shady stores... perhaps those on Main Street in Newark, New Jersey, mayhaps? :ninja:

It's a pretty dumpy/shady store! Alas, no dice. :-(

HOWEVER! My local Gamestop is doing a midnight release of Dark Souls on Monday night. For those 4 or 5 of you lolgoons who can afford to stay up until midnight and beyond on Monday, it'd be worth your time to find out if your local Gamestop is doing the same.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NESguerilla posted:

When do you guys think retailers are going to be getting physical copies of the game in? There are still a couple of indie retailers around here that will break street dates occasionally. I may try to snake a copy this weekend.

The local Gamestop here in Orlando, FL had their copies today when I went in to try and sneak my pre-order out the door; I saw the big box full of collector's editions behind the counter.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

What's the deal with magic in this game? I notice there is no mana.

Demon's Souls had casters that used mana, but in a nutshell, this contributed to making casters much too powerful compared to melee in both PvE and PvP. Now, casters get a set amount of times they can cast any given spell between bonfires, effectively meaning "run out and you're out" in PvP situations. Generally, the stronger the spell, the fewer the casts allotted.

edit: this fukin thread.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Doesn't this make casters way way weaker than anything else? Like you run out of casts then, welp.

Not entirely so, since casters will be able to equip rudimentary weapons and/or shields. Odds just swing in favor of the opponent when the caster runs out of casts. Backstabs can still happen, resulting in a good deal of damage, even from a caster.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, I just had my first death that was caused entirely by frame rate issues. So far there's only been one area of the game with big frame rate problems, but they are HUGE. And of course it is full of catwalks, narrow passages that crams up the camera, and tiny flying insects that if you lock onto them the camera is constantly swinging around at random.

I caught that during the IGN stream. They were playing the 360 version and I figured, maybe it's console-exclusive? Guess not.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nigulus Rex posted:

Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

No class will be easy in the beginning -- hell, in at least the first half of the game. It is a hard game through and through (maybe not all THAT hard to Demon's Souls veterans, though.) You are meant to die a lot, so don't get discouraged. If you like casters in other games and want to play a caster, by all means go for it! For posterity, casters were super easy mode in Demon's Souls. From Software acknowledged this, and made them a little more balanced with everyone else in Dark Souls.

Don't min-max your first character (meaning don't fuss over what attributes you're leveling up,) and just go with the flow. If you get into the game enough to beat it, you'll almost definitely want to play through it again, perhaps with an all-new character. Then you can abandon your rookie card and say to yourself, alright, putting all those points into attribute X was stupid, instead I'll put them into...

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 1, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zero000 posted:

Misusing a Fighting Game stream for DARK SOULS

http://www.twitch.tv/xanadugames

agh, installing psn updates

All I see is DMX vacuuming an office floor and some asian guy twiddling away on... it's a fighting stick! YOU LIED!!!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Blunt obviously hurts skeletons more than a slashing weapon. It was the same thing in Demon Souls I believe.

Yeah you keep telling yourself that until you make it to this guy. Third boss "Danklord"

smokes blunt weapons for breakfast.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wonderful game so far; much slicker than Demon's Souls in many ways. Hitting my first crux after about three hours (seemingly unpassable dragon on bridge) and having to backtrack to "the beginning" to take another route was kind of irritating. Crafty loving rear end in a top hat skeletons that drop no souls; also irritating. Prepare to die get irritated.

Trip report for midnight launch: around 40 students, 39 getting NBA2K12.

First TWO deaths: tutorial boss :suicide:

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 4, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mdemone posted:

Hurray, had no idea the collector's edition was the same price as the regular box. Picked up the local Best Buy's last copy, thirty minutes after they opened :stare:

Now to stumble through another few hours of work before going home to get my rear end stomped into the ground all night. (I didn't play Demon's Souls, so I only have a vague idea of what I'm in for, but I'm sure it's going to be glorious, glorious death.)

I like to think that I've become pretty good at Demon's Souls over the past few years, and Dark Souls is kinda sorta kicking my rear end.

Rakanakle posted:

My GameStop is always really uncomfortable because the staff kisses rear end like crazy. It must work or something because you can't walk a few feet before several employees got their puckered lips directly on your butthole complementing your taste in games or something equally inane. Last time I want to buy Catherine and the guy at the register told me I smelled really good. I pretended not to hear and he repeated louder that I SMELLED REALLY GOOD. Weird place.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 4, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thundercracker posted:

Man, I am torn between starting as Deprived (in true Dark Souls spirit) or going Thief so I can get both the Master Key and Pendant. Which should I pick?

I went Deprived. Starting with virtually no armor is pretty tough, and you don't get anything great from enemies right off the bat -- literally scraps. That said, gently caress YEAH DEPRIVED + PENDANT.

Starting with a Master Key (Thief) is probably pretty handy though, since there are a number of locked doors/gates pretty early on. Might lead to... something good? something bad?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Loofa08 posted:

I realllly wish I would have read this 2 loving minutes ago. What does the upgrade do anyway?

Same here. Thanks for the entirely inaccurate description, From Software! I used the soul and it gave me +5 humanity, which I naturally lost no more than 10 minutes later. I'm already highly considering starting over... :ghost:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

This game is so loving hardcore that my brakes just went out on the way home from picking it up. It's trying to kill me before I've even opened the game.

YOU HANDBRAKED
Phantom, You were unable to achieve your brakes.
You must leave this road.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is this bug happening for anyone else? Switching between R1 and L1 in too quick of a fashion occasionally messes up the next application of L1. Meaning, I'll hold L1 intending to raise my shield, but instead it interprets this as R1 (light attack.) This often results in me dying/losing a LOT of health.

I just opened up and cleaned my controller a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure if it's a byproduct of me messing up my controller or not.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My friend told me about the Drake Sword and I hate it. After spending 3 hours on Moonlight Butterfly with 5 flasks, no ranged weapon, no magic, just a halberd I'm too weak to use doing 15 damage a hit, I sold out and used the sword. I feel really dirty. I'm not letting myself use this sword again. I should drop it somewhere in Undead Burg; maybe it will turn into a gamebreaking phantom for some unlucky gently caress.

Willfrey posted:

Also... That black horned knight with the big shield in Undeadburg (down the stairs before the upwards stairs where that rear end in a top hat kicks a burning barrel at you) is guarding something, I can see the item back behind him, and I've been toying with the idea of luring him out and up the staircase, and then getting around him and making a grab for that item. What is it he is guarding? is it worth the trouble?

If you get close enough for him to see/follow you, you can sprint back a few platforms to the one with a ladder, three enemies, and a small guard tower with a crossbow archer on top. Climb the ladder, and keep an eye on the knight. He lost me at this point and started walking around this area aimlessly, giving me plenty of time to sprint back to his original location and grab the item he's guarding. Get it and get the hell out of there quickly, because there's nothing else down those stairs.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 5, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vanguard Warden posted:

I never even used the drake sword when I got it. It has the same strength requirement as a claymore and they're found in the same general area. By the time I met the strength requirement my claymore was +5, did enough damage to be worth using and had a hell of a lot more reach.

Also the drake sword doesn't have a lunging stab attack and that just won't do. :colbert:

You can 2-hand it just fine, though. I rolled Deprived and am still at the default 11 strength, and there are no stamina/speed repercussions -- it probably requires something like 10 STR to 2-hand. It even blocks half decently, but you can still take low/sweeping hits. The biggest cheese is its 2-handed R2 attack... Storm Ruler 2.0

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are the rooftop gargoyles supposed to be the second boss in the natural progression? I keep seeing people talking about the gargoyles & ringing the first bell after mentioning the Taurus Demon, but I ended up finding my way to Moonlight Butterfy and Capra Demon instead. Killing both bosses results in dead ends! Where da gargoyles at?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Almost Smart posted:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered a dozen times, but is it safe to kill the golden-armored man you rescue from the Undead church? I've heard that if you leave him be, he pulls a Yurt and starts killing some NPCs but I can't substantiate that. I need all the help I can get.

Here be spoilers: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Knight+Lautrec

He does basically pull a mini-Yurt but it isn't permanent, and even sounds like an entertaining side-quest. Not like that Mephistopheles bullshit. I need you to go kill everyone in the Nexus. Okay, thanks. Here's an item.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Professor Latency posted:

The Gaping Dragon is my bitch now.

And holy gently caress its special drop (for doing something special to it) is ridiculous

I don't know if it was a freak occurrence, or perhaps I'm truly starting to get good at From Software games, but Gaping Dragon was the first pathetically easy boss fight for me. I did die a few times going at it the wrong way, but once I started picking up on its character flaw, it was a no-brainer.

And I do believe any boss with a tail can have it severed for the same result!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've come across a "hidden" Covenant after Quelaag. "Hidden" meaning both it's behind a hidden wall, and it's also not yet documented on Dark Souls' wiki page. Anyone joined it? Seeing as how it's my first time through the game, I've decided to say gently caress It and join.

edit: nevermind, it's Chaos Servant Covenant. Got a pyromancy skill that I don't want/can't use. Awesome! That's two screw-ups so far :-P

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is Ceaseless Discharge an optional boss? I'm ready to turn around and go somewhere else.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'll be putting down summon signs at Ceaseless Discharge tonight, SL37, because gently caress that boss.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Risky posted:

Possible Glitch

I just killed the red dragon with ONE arrow. He fell off and disappeared and then I got 10k souls.

Go to the top of the tower where the black knight is in the area with the armored boar. Go to the top and there should be an open spot to snipe. Hit the dragon in the head with an arrow and he should drop off and he should die.

Hopefully others can replicate this.

VXDS (the Japanese guy who was streaming last week) did this exact thing from this exact spot, with the same results. CHEESE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Did no one else have a lot of trouble with Ceaseless Discharge? What the everliving gently caress. I just can't pull it off. I can read all of the attacks and dodge them just fine, but every time I get him below half health, he pulls a random firestream or claw attack out of his rear end and kills me, sometimes in a single hit. Also, I haven't successfully rolled under his swipe attack a single time - what gives?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are you given a warning prior to ditching a covenant? I've made enough mistakes with my first character to just say gently caress it, so I went back to Firelink Shrine and (accidentally learned Sorcery, then) learned Pyromancy. I was a member of a covenant prior to this -- did I ditch? It didn't say anything about leaving my current covenant.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tobias Grant posted:

Welp.

My head just turned into an eggsack. how do I get rid of this?

You need an Egg Vermisac (sp?) It's a semi-rare drop from any egg-bearing peon, or you can buy them from the Chaos servant. The first one was free for me, 5000 souls a piece after that.

The info regarding egghead so far: It saps 50% of your souls obtained to grow, and eventually hatch. I killed Ceaseless Discharge with an egg on my head, and while I should've got 10,000 souls, I only got 5,000. When it hatches, you pull an Alien (movie) and your kick animation turns into something else. You can supposedly turn in a hatched egghead for a Dragon Shard (or whatever it is that upgrades dragon weapons.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 7, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Why on earth would they ruin such a beautiful level as Anor Londo with a loving lame platforming section on a super narrow and unrealistic highrise, right before a hard boss?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stumpus Maximus posted:

gently caress YEAH! Stray Demon down at SL22! he dropped 20k souls and a titanite slab. I feel so :black101: right now. I'm shaking lol

EDIT: Also, I ran into a funny noise near the church. It sounded like someone was snoring/sleeping or something. Was that a crystal gecko?

2nd Edit: I mean the church in the firelink shrine where the crow sits.

Probably Biorr. He always gets himself into some poo poo; he probably found his way into Lordren to take a nap and complain about dragons. In case you didn't play Demon's Souls, this is a Demon's Souls reference and I apologize for the shitpost. Or, maybe it's Onion Bro...? He's fat so he probably falls asleep a lot :-)

RotationSurgeon posted:

How many arrows am I looking at to break this dragon's tail.

To get Drake Sword? Probably around 25 or so. Maybe upwards of 30-40 if you are very low level. Took me around 20 as Deprived, with (likely) the stats that matter at 11. Get it. It is such a great weapon. I avoided using it for the entirety of Undead Burg, though, since it is really overpowered that early in the game. Once you get to, say, Depths, it's appropriate to start using if you don't yet have a more preferable weapon.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 8, 2011

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a shameful boehner posted:

I liked the idea of the Chaos covenant having meganukes but I'd prefer to avoid head eggs. Instead I think I'm going to try the dragon route.

I accidentally joined this covenant, and am pleased to say that you can avoid the headeggs if you move quickly enough through choice areas. So far, the first and only area I've been through that can infect you is the hidden other-Queen-spider-lady area where you join the covenant. If you do happen to get infected in the process of joining, the servant there will give you a free antidote to remove it, and then sell them to you after that. They are also a rare drop off of any infected enemy -- lots to farm at the Demon Ruins bonfire.

Despite this, I think getting infected is the only reason to join this covenant, aside from the pyromancy nukes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cake Attack posted:

So how exactly are you supposed to fight Ceaseless discharge? It doesn't seem to be possible to dodge its main attack.

It would seem the legit strategy, while kind of cheap, is as follows.

First, you might as well remove enough gear (sans shield, if you use one) to reach your maximum run/roll speed (<25% equip burden.) As soon as you enter the fog gate, immediately run and get as close to him as you can; you want to avoid having him use his fire attack if possible. If he does hit you w/ fire, heal up and continue approaching him.

The idea is to get into that narrow passage on your right after the stairs. Run into the passage, and hang out in the corner (don't make a left at the corner.) Have him spot you in this passage, and he should only do his forward lunge melee attack. You can easily roll out of the way of this (around the corner) and quickly move back into position to get in some hits.

Using this method, it is entirely feasible to kill him without taking a single hit, so it's highly advised to reach max roll speed -> more time to land attacks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gyoru posted:

Amazon dropped the price of the official hardcover guide to $13.74 right after they shipped my copy Friday for $24 :argh:
http://amzn.to/qB8tEP

Wow, this literally changed from $13.74 back to $24.99 in the time it took me to enable my 6-month student's free trial of Amazon Prime. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Regarding the Firelink Shrine Firekeeper and Knight Lautrec: if you take on the optional mission involving these two, do know that the Fire Keeper's Soul that you get as a reward should not be used to strengthen your Estus Flask... it's used for something else at Firelink Shrine: it's actually her soul, and if you use it, she's dead for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Megasabin posted:

Blight Town Boss Question Is there a shortcut to get to Queelag more quickly or do I really have to climb all the way from from the bonfire on the bridge near where you get the Iato

Say you are running towards Quelaag's cave entrance from the swamp; there is a bonfire off to the right (a fair deal before the incline.)

• Locked thread