Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I'm ready to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA&hd=1

Restating co-op/multiplayer functionality for easy access:

Dark Souls doesn't feature a traditional co-op/PVP multiplayer system. You won't be able to play with your friends unless you jump through a bunch of specific hoops so don't expect to reliably co-op through the entire game with a buddy. This isn't that type of game.

Jetpack Postman posted:

There's no VOIP on PS3, Party Chat AND Private Chat is forbidden on Xbox Live - the game will kick you to the title screen if it detects Party/Private Chat - and the players that are summoned are the first ones who touch the mark left by your White Soapstone. You can't play privately with friends unless you can constantly and consistently orchestrate some complex, failsafe plan to make sure they're the first ones to reach the mark and you can only chat with them through 3rd Party programs like Skype or Ventrilo.

------

10/17/11

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

v1.04 In-progress Patch Notes

google translate posted:

[Fix] Major changes

- "Magic Shield" / "Greater Magic Shield" strong effect, not have become effective by the bug shield (Fixes GMS to only effect your shield/when blocking instead of your character)
- Continuous use of magic ∑ magic bug trigger delay (Duping glitch fix?)
- "Ring of the Mist/Fog Ring" Review of non-locking effect (Fog Ring nerf )
- Review of the effectiveness of "Stone Giant Sword/Tranquil Walk spell" (Slow effect being nerfed)
- Map loading bug when switching
- Conditional matching and adjustment of (Multiplayer matchmaking improvements )
- Weapon Attributes ∑ weapons capability review of the balance (Rebalancing elemental weapon damage and stat scaling?)

※ More changes will be announced at a later date.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2011 around 04:32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

IGN is doing a 24-hour marathon livestream of Dark Souls on Thursday (9/29): 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Dark Souls topped the Media Create Sales Chart for Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25) in Japan with 279k PS3 copies sold. (DS was officially released on 9/23)
Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison.

quote:

01./00. [PS3] Dark Souls <RPG> (From Software) {2011.09.22} (•7.800) - 279.567 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] ICO / Shadow of the Colossus Limited Box <ADV> (SCE) {2011.09.22} (•6.980) - 91.902 / NEW
03./00. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 6 <ACT> (Konami) {2011.09.22} (•5.250) - 64.350 / NEW
04./00. [360] Gears of War 3 # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2011.09.22} (•7.140) - 56.113 / NEW
05./01. [WII] Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary: Famicom & Super Famicom Dragon Quest I-II-III <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.09.15} (•4.440) - 54.775 / 318.174 (-79%)
06./00. [3DS] Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei <ACT> (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.09.22} (•5.980) - 52.206 / NEW
07./00. [PSP] Busou Shinki: Battle Masters Mk. 2 <ACT> (Konami) {2011.09.22} (•5.800) - 32.318 / NEW
08./00. [PS3] To Heart 2 DX Plus # <ADV> (Aqua Plus) {2011.09.22} (•8.379) - 24.429 / NEW
09./02. [PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (•8.379) - 22.484 / 595.386 (-52%)
10./00. [WII] Champion Jockey: Gallop Racer & G1 Jockey <TBL> (Koei Tecmo) {2011.09.22} (•7.140) - 18.281 / NEW
11./05. [WII] Rhythm Heaven <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.07.21} (•5.800) - 17.354 / 469.914 (+18%)
12./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (•2.990) - 14.924 / NEW
13./04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (•5.800) - 14.876 / 566.992 (-2%)
14./00. [PS3] Shadow of the Colossus <ADV> (SCE) {2011.09.22} (•3.980) - 13.420 / NEW
15./07. [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.08.04} (•3.800) - 12.658 / 231.815 (+16%)
16./08. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} (•4.800) - 11.596 / 391.734 (+10%)
17./06. [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.08.25} (•4.800) - 9.263 / 383.276 (-30%)
18./00. [PS3] Shadows of the Damned <ADV> (Electronic Arts) {2011.09.22} (•7.665) - 9.145 / NEW
19./12. [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast <ACT> (Pokemon Co.) {2011.08.11} (•4.800) - 8.722 / 170.367 (+13%)
20./00. [PS3] ICO <ADV> (SCE) {2011.09.22} (•3.980) - 7.941 / NEW

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2011 around 17:09

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Smelly posted:

This is great news! Good to see that From is getting the sales for this game that it deserves.
Yeah, Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison. Dark Souls blew past 250,000 units in only 2-3 days.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

k3nn posted:

IGN are running a 24-hour marathon for some reason if anyone's bored and fancies a quasi-LP experience: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Direct link: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/2...s-of-dark-souls

She's right around the start as a Pyromancer going through the same area the GB QL crew went through. They're playing the 360 version.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

http://goo.gl/TrhV3

I don't even think these tokens carry rewards into the actual game, but

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The IGN stream just had a severe framerate drop on the 360 version for a couple seconds while descending a ladder.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Phoix posted:

Have they had any other issues so far? From what I've heard it's mostly fine so I'm hoping that was just a fluke.

I'm not sure. I just tuned in for the past 15 minutes because I haven't been watching the entire stream continuously - just on and off.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I have a few questions about the starting items

1- Is it possible to find a master key elsewhere in the game?

2- Does the pendant really have no purpose?
1. No. The only way to get a Master Key is by starting as a Thief or choosing it as a starting gift during character creation. Choosing it as a gift as a Thief will give you 2 Master Keys. The Master Key is permanent and isn't consumed when opening locks.

2. No one, not even the Japanese, know what it does yet. The current rumor is it allows the Future Pygmy to regain his memories.

Every gift aside from the Master Key can be found or purchased throughout the game.

Note: The Tiny Being's Ring gift has a badly translated description that alludes to it being a HP regeneration ring when all it does is add +30 to max HP.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

tn posted:

Do we know what the purpose of these codes are yet?

To clog up this thread and keep it bumped on the first page.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

What's the deal with magic in this game? I notice there is no mana.

Mana is gone. You just have charges that must be refilled at bonfires by resting (DnD style)

edit: we were all beaten

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Skimmed through the 46 page mini-guide PDF that comes with the Collector's Edition. It's a few pages taken directly from the official Future Press guide, which means it's pretty detailed. Tells you how much HP things have and how many souls they give when killed along with possible drops. Stats, maps, lists, and all that good stuff.

NPC quest spoiler from the guide:
Solaire Of Astora (Knight of the Sun) has one of the most complex quest branches that lasts throughout the entire game. He can be summoned to help you out for a bunch of boss fights including the dreaded Dragon Slayer+Executioner fight. You can even get him to help you with the final boss battle if he survives that far and the right conditions are met.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2011 around 19:45

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm going to go Bandit with black firebombs to try and use that huge rear end club from the asylum demon as soon as possible. I have a feeling I'll probably start several characters before I beat the game though.

You won't even be able to use it because it requires 46 strength.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

evilalien posted:

So can the Pendant be obtained in the game or not? I still haven't decided between the Master Key or the Pendant yet for a starting gift. I'll go with the pendant if it can't be obtained elsewhere though.

The Master Key is the only gift that can't be obtained in the game world. It's the recommended starting gift according to the Japanese wiki.

I'm just going to double up as a Thief and pick the Pendant.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Class doesn't matter outside of starting gear and starting stats. You can spec in any direction as you level up and equip anything as long as you meet the stat requirements.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Amazon can ship as late as 9:30PM EDT or 6:30PM PDT. Don't freak out.
They have never been late on a release date delivery or missed any "Delivery Estimates" for me.

Note: I have Prime and am near an Amazon distribution center on the east coast.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Party chat allows multiple people to join a chat room

Private chat is 1:1 chat

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

CVG uploaded a side-by-side comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbFGRsI8waA&amp;hd=1

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

UPS delivered my Amazon Collector's Edition early. There are 2 stickers/seals on the top and bottom of the tin case attached to a plastic sleeve. Removing them left some sticky white stuff residue on the tin case even after using a hair dryer. Gonna scrub it later.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Baggot posted:

Spray it with some Goo Gone and let it sit for a minute. poo poo comes right off. Of course, then you have to wipe everything down again to remove the citrus oil sheen.

I scrubbed it down with some rubbing alcohol earlier and it's gone now.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Speaking of which, aren't we supposed to get a $10 credit for pre-ordering? I didn't even get that.

I don't think there was any pre-order credit unless you traded in a game with the DkS pre-order.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

2MB posted:

So I never released the gold Yurt 2.0 because I knew he'd kill the Flamekeeper in Firelink but after my recent trip into Blightown she's now dead and I was able to loot her corpse for armor and a black eye orb. What gives?

DeathSandwich posted:

He frees himself after you kill the gargoyles.

(That NPC spoilers) Lautrec only kills Anastacia the Firekeeper of Firelink Shrine. Anastacia being dead prevents the Firelink Shrine's Bonfire from being used for about half of the game, but it's not really a big deal. He doesn't kill any other NPCs as far as I know. If you freeded him voluntarily, he will give you a Sunlight Medal when you talk to him back at Firelink Shrine. He won't kill Anastacia until you enter the Depths.

You can revive Anastacia later by doing a Revenge summon and fighting Lautrec and 2 minions in an arena. Killing him in the arena will get Anastacia's soul (a Fire Keeper Soul) back, Lautrec's armor set, and his Ring of Favor. Go back to Anastacia's corpse to revive her.

An interesting thing about that NPC: if you're Human at certain bosses, you can summon Lautrec right outside the fog door. Example: Gaping Dragon. I guess he's similar to Solaire. I've entered battles with both Solaire and Lautrec summoned. I think you have to free him voluntarily to get him to pop up as a helper. Oh and I paid him some souls for information about Petrus's true nature as well so that might be a requirement.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2011 around 00:21

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

bewilderment posted:

People occasionally kill/attack NPCs by accident because the PS3 controller is semi-badly designed and if you put the controller down in a certain way you might hit the trigger. Since the safest place to put down your controller and go answer the phone/use the bathroom/whatever is usually near a friendly NPC, this has a higher chance of happening than you'd expect.

You can press Start to open the minimenu. This prevents attacking even if it doesn't pause the game.

Or buy some RealTriggers (Amazon).

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone figured out how to make the moonlight butterfly shield? I've got a +10 spider shield (which, incidentally, can block the Stray Demon's poo poo) and neither the Parish blacksmith or the New Londo blacksmith seem to be able to upgrade it. I guess I might not have enough souls to pay them so the option isn't coming up.

The Anor Lando blacksmith is the one who does boss soul ascensions. You can do it with any shield that's at +10.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So, is there at all a downside to joining the Way of the White? you can get heal really early on and that's stupid useful.

No, but there's also no reason to really stay in the Way of the White covenant because Petrus will sell your Miracles even if you're not in the WotW covenant once Reah and her companions show up at Firelink. It's the newbie covenant - there are better covenants to join.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Phoix posted:

Get the scimitar to +10 at some point, or any curved blade I guess, and you can turn it into a much better weapon later. The thiefs armor is actually pretty solid for about a quarter of the game so you can upgrade it if you want to.

Yep, Scimitar/Falchion/any curved sword work for ascending to Queelag's Furysword. It's my favorite weapon at the moment.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Puddles posted:

So if you're looking to assist someone you need to be within a certain amount of levels don't you?

I want to help people but for the smaller things (Gargoyles, Capra etc) nobody tries to use me.

Then again I think I'm like SL43 or something
http://support.namcobandaigames.com...247&nav=0,1,320

Namco posted:

Due to several contacts we've received from users confused as to how the summoning feature works in game, we have provided this list to help.

Conditions for summoning (White Sign Soapstone):

The host (person who's game world will be used) must be human. The client (person joining the game) can either be human or undead.

The clientís level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the hostís level. Generally, this example formula should give you a good idea on whether you will be able to join: (LC x 1.1) ≥ LH ≥ (LC x 0.9), where is LC the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of the host is 20, then they will only be able to summon players who are levels 18 to 22.

The area boss (Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, etcÖ) in the hostís world must still be alive. A client can still be summoned even if the client has already defeated their own area boss.

The host must not have placed down a summoning sign. Summoning signs from other players will not appear in a hostís world if the host also has placed a summoning sign down. This is to prevent a network conflict of the host joining someone else's game world while the clients are trying to join the host's game world.

After successfully summoning, the client will return to their world if the area boss is defeated, the client is killed or the host is killed.

Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game.
You have to be within 10% of the host's soul level. SL43 is really high for 1st Belltower/Burgs so that's probably why no one is summoning you.

General rule of thumb is not to overlevel/overgrind if you want to do multiplayer.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Crowbear posted:

I hear you get the ability when you put the Lordvessel back at Firelink shrine, after you finish Anor Londo

You get it after acquiring that key item. Don't talk to Frampt/put the Lordvessel back in the altar otherwise you won't be able to join the Darkwraith covenant for that playthrough.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any tips for these Anor Lando snipers? They seem to have loving ballistas for bows, and just trying to approach them wrecks me.

I drew this in MS Paint - hope this helps

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2011 around 18:56

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I've been tanking all the bosses ever since I've gotten the Stone armor set and Havel's ring. I have Havel's armor/shield set too, but it's just marginally better and heavier than the Stone set. I can move/roll at medium speed just fine if necessary. Most of the time my greatshield absorbs everything.

I beat Ornstein and Smough on the first try by just tanking.

Poise/hyper armor in this game is incredible.

edit: took this screenshot 2 days ago
thisgame.png

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2011 around 19:09

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Guliani is HOT posted:

Hmm that's interesting, I just killed the Wolf with Havel's Set after trying and failing a lot with my normal armor. Definitely viable although running around must be a pain in the rear end. Are you playing over 50% encumbrance? Also, where's the stone set?
I'm running under 50% equip load so I can sprint/roll at medium speeds.

That set is in the Darkroot Forest

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Leyburn posted:

Any tips for Knight Lautrec? Him and his little pals keep kicking my rear end.

Use the stairs to fight them 1:1. You just have to kill Lautrec to end the fight, but might as well kill the mage because he can drop a catalyst.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

So how exactly are you supposed to fight Ceaseless discharge? It doesn't seem to be possible to dodge its main attack.

Professor Latency posted:

Just run back to where the fog door was. He'll glitch out and die.

I mean. If you're into that sort of business.

vvvv Nah, you can get another one in Blighttown, and I'm pretty sure there are more, but you've missed the opportunity to upgrade it a second time.

It's not a glitch though. The boss has a special animation when you kill it that way like From Software added it intentionally.

Ceaseless Discharge will have one arm holding on to the ledge for dear life before losing his grip and plummeting to his death.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How do you get the fog ring anyway? I joined the covenant. Do you need to be in human form to be able to kill invaders? I'm wearing the ring as well.

You need to rank up the forest covenant to at least Rank 2 to get the Mist Ring. You rank up by repelling forest invaders/players.

vvv I'm assuming yes since most of the multiplayer elements are available only when you're in Human form. I'm not in the forest covenant myself.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2011 around 21:22

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Is the NPC that looks exactly like one of the enemy mobs in the area important? I aggroed him before I realized he wasn't just a generic enemy.

Crowbear posted:

The egg-sac dude? If so, he's a pyromancy trainer and part of one of the covenants that you probably won't want to join if you aren't a pyromancer anyway.

The Chaos Servant covenant is very useful to rank up. It allows access to Chaos pyromancy spells. Pyromancy is dependent on the upgrade level of your Flame Glove instead of stats so even melee characters benefit from learning a few spells. Once your rank is high enough, a permanent shortcut to Lost Izalith is unlocked. This shortcut saves a massive amount of time. You can even skip the boss of that area with it.

You can use any learned Chaos spells and access the shortcut even if you leave the abandon covenant via the NPC on the 1st belltower.

Since joining the Chaos Servants is also the only way to open that shortcut, it's also the only way to save Solaire and have him join you in the final battle.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Amazon dropped the price of the official hardcover guide to $13.74 right after they shipped my copy Friday for $24
http://amzn.to/qB8tEP

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Hell Diver posted:

First foray into the Depths ended about as poorly as one could end. Where's the hidden bonfire at down here?

There's only 1 bonfire in the Depths and it's behind a locked door in a hallway filled with slimes. You can either use the Master Key (that's what I did) to open it or get the sewer key somewhere else in the Depths.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

For those who killed the Ceaseless Discharge the hard way and want to see the easy/special way of killing him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAQSc_lICI&t=2m4s

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Vargs posted:

So I'm pretty far in the game, and was running from Firelink to the Undead Parish blacksmith to upgrade some junk. As I was passing through the church, I noticed there was a pendant and 6 or so humanity sitting in front of the altar where you get the fire keeper soul. There was also a player message in front of it that said "Saint". Is this supposed to happen, or do dropped items transfer between worlds and someone just decided to be a nice dude?

After you save Rhea in the Catacombs, she ends up at that spot in the church at some point. She may have killed herself there. She's the NPC where you can get the Pendant from in-game so it matches up.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Revitalized posted:

excellent! Now to do that whole Darkwraith thing... but first I must prepare I guess.

You boned yourself out of that covenant if you already put the Lordvessel in the altar by talking to Frampt the serpent in Firelink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What the gently caress!

http://i.imgur.com/4nLhD.jpg

How do I wake him up! Bang some pots and pans together? yell at him? I don't want to attack him

Unequip your weapons and punch him in the face. Seriously.

• Locked thread
«2 »