Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It is not the encounters that are bad, it is you who is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I hear that there is a magic trainer in the lower burg. Where abouts is he?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Does it matter which blacksmith i give their respective embers to? Andre wants my divine ember, but I'm not sure if I'd get another effect from a different smith later in the game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wasted that goddamn flask item and i'm mad all the time now :(

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ughh, the drake sword seems to do almost no damage to the gaping dragon. Is this a good time to upgrade? I've got a +5 longsword that I can probably bring up to +10.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jetpack Postman posted:

Naw, it just has a shitton of health. The Drake Sword won't outlive it's usefulness until you find the Lightning Spear at Sen's Fortress. Just keep at it.

Ughhh but he hits so hard and the tail whip just completely wrecks me everytime :(

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't think i've ever been to a place in a video game which is quite as horrible as Blight Town.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Where do I go after killing Capra Demon (MOTHERFUCKER), Havel (MOTHERFUCKERER) and getting the key to The Depths? I can't seem to find the location of the Depths, and I don't know where to go. Visiting the forest scares the hell out of me with the crystal golem things and something that shoots out water spouts that TK said golems in a single hit. Are there any goodies down there?
Also Havel Ring is awesome because it lets my Warrior run around in full Elite Knight gear like it ain't no thang and Poise is ridiculously important apparently.

Just cut a hard right down the stairs right from right in front of the fogdoor of the capra demon, run down the road a bit and there should be a steel door on the left. And make sure to grab the shortcut on the way!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

So how exactly do you trade with the crow? I feel retarded, I'm trying to do the curse fix, dropped the cracked red eye orb in the nest, got nothing.

Gotta quit out and load your game. Make sure its right in the nest.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Phonics posted:

This is what happens when you own hard in Dark Souls WARNING MASS EFFECT 2 SPOILERS

Hang on, you owned him and he looked through your chieves and saw you hadn't finished Mass Effect 2, and tried to spoil the ending for you? Is this what happened?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fox1 posted:

Dark Souls - Try jumping

Just picked up this game, seems pretty cool, although really hard. What item do I need to write messages?

You'll meet an undead merchant guy in the parish, he'll sell it to you for 100 souls.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Palleon posted:

This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up, so I apologize if this has been answered before, but I noticed something odd playing yesterday. While running around, at least 2-3 times, my character flashed with an orange aura for a moment, and I think it may have healed me, but I'm not sure. I thought it might have been someone rating one of the messages I left down, but upon checking my stone, no one has rated any of them yet. Can anyone explain what happened?

When somebody kindles a fire near you, you get an estus flask. I'm pretty sure that's it.

VVV Or that, i didn't know about that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Phonics posted:

Why did I get this poo poo for the xbox. They are not even going to bring the patch to 360 and if they are it'll be 6 months from here.

Goddamnit.

Are you basing this on anything or is it just angry conjecture?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What are these white glowing donuts that I've been seeing all over the place and can't interact with? They only appeared after i took the 'goyles to Anor Londo and i had to use the glowing donut in the middle of that area. It makes me think its some glitch where they're accidentally using the donut asset instead of something else.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tomb of the Giants, why you gotta be the way you are? :(

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

diospadre posted:

What's the deal with Gold Hemmed Armor? I grabbed it right after killing Queelag and am just about to take on the Anor Londo boss, and it's so much better than any other armor option I have available to me right now it's ridiculous.

It seemingly can't be reinforced by a blacksmith, so I'm guessing other armors are better once upgraded. What other light armor should I be looking to upgrade? I like rolling so I'd prefer it to be on the lighter side, but I'm sinking a lot of points into End so it doesn't have to be super light.

Its got basically no poise, so it kinda sucks for running through most dungeon areas. I'm a melee dude exclusively, since the swordfighting is so awesome in this game, and I've found that its pretty useless in the vast majority of cases.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

What name shows up when you invade somebody? My gamertag is CHANDLER x BING but my character's name is Batman. So who is invading? Is it Batman or Chandler?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ugh I killed Shiva to get the ring and the bodyguard backstabbed me and killed me, and when I went back he's gone. I guess I'm screwed out of my flippy ring?

VVVV Sup bro we got the same problem :3

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really think people overstate izalith as a problem zone. I went in without the shortcut and killed every single one of those dino dudes no problem, and they don't respawn. Just lure them to land.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just beat the game for the first time. Full melee, solo'd all of the bosses. Ended up with the shield of artorias, a lightning longsword and stone armor. Now its time to do an awesome magic playthrough.

This game isn't that hard, Demon's Souls was a lot harder. I stopped dying once i got that shield.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

After I made a crystal shield and used it with my +10 fire greatsword, it became pretty apparent to me that it is the most broken cheating thing in the game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Erve posted:

Anybody got any tips on how to upgade my Zweihander +10 into a fire Zwei? I took it to the catacombs blacksmith but the option to upgade it isn't there. I thought I might be missing some embers, so I just spent the last hour getting my rear end handed to me in the demon ruins to get the chaos and large flame embers; but the dude still wont let me set my Zwei on fire.

I just wanna set monsters on fire with my 7 foot long sword, damnit!

You need a Zwei plus 5. Then you can get it to a fire +10 once you get the ember from Demon Ruins.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Everybody should kill the bosses for the first time solo. There aren't many hard games out there, and you should take advantage of the opportunity to actually have a carefully balanced encounter designed to be difficult but winnable.

This is no small deal! Every game released nowadays is terribly easy, its actually pretty rare to have a chance to do something really hard in a game. If you skip that chance by summoning bros which make every boss fight mindlessly easy, you miss out on some really awesome game design.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Agreed. I feel like the O&S fight, for example, is not quite as cool if you don't do it by yourself. Few fights in the game make you feel as badass as that one.

That one in particular is what i was thinking of. Took me ages to win, but when I did i felt awesome because I had learned the encounter enough to be able to separate them and understand what they were going to do.

But when I watched my brother summon two guys, split them up and beat the poo poo out of ornstein in about a second, I felt like we were playing different games.

Count Bleck posted:

To be fair, there are some bosses that are just stupidly unfair unless you can counteract them ahead of time.

Nito, for example, how would you honestly know you could kill his skeletons for good with a divine weapon? Or any skeleton in the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants in general?

Thats definitely true, you can't deny that there are parts of this game that were absolutely written with the internet and wiki use in mind.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Houdini posted:

Welp. Another enemy that falls to the crystal shield in five hits. :stare:

Stop that right now! Its overpowered and you're basically skipping encounters.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yup. What happened at the end? The fire went VWOOM

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Bumped into the infamous sniper segment I've seen people complaining about.

This is some bullshit, its not even challenging, its just 2 enemies with heavy projectiles in a bad spot, its horrible.

I keep getting knocked down when I have one go melee, hell one I was approaching and the blocked arrow tossed me off.

Don't even attempt a real melee fight. Just block the guy on the ledge until he falls off. You also might have to roll under an arrow as you're approaching him along the side of the building because it'll just bonk you right off.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

darkhand posted:

Uh where the heck are you supposed to go in Duke's Archive? I got like 3 keys and rescued Big Hat logan. Also went down the ladder past the Channelers and unlocked the movable bookcase and killed the mimmicks down there. The only place I seem to be able to go is back up the elevator to the unkillable-version of Seath

There's a lever near a brown thing on the floor near the mimic and the chests that makes stairs that go down.

In other news, I think the greatsword is way cooler looking than the zweihander, and the stab is awesome. Nobody ever talks about the greatsword.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Lautrec's armor is fairly unimpressive though. Honestly, I would say to just kill him when you first encounter him. The Catarina set is almost the exact same weight, and it smashes up Lautrec's armor in every field except curse resistance. Really, the most useful thing you get from Lautrec is the ring.

Don't kill him when you first encounter him, you're missing out on a cool and interesting moment in the game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zain posted:

Well how much more powerful can it get? Mine is un-upgraded if that's any indication.

It depends what right hand weapon you use. I've got a fire greatsword +5, it does about 900-1200 damage.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I really don't know how anybody can use that ring shield against a boss in this game and walk away satisfied as though they actually won the fight.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dexplosivo posted:

Honestly it's kind of the same way with Pyromancy on your first run through the game. Seems like they gave bosses a bit too much melee resistance - it's a bit too time-intensive to whittle them away up close when an upgraded Pyro hand will nuke almost anyone to pieces.

Yup, I agree totally. I played through the game entirely melee and solo because games are way too easy nowadays, and I actually welcome a decent challenge. Its also the best drat swordfighting game out there, so I full wanted to take advantage of a deeply realised melee combat engine.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Do they have different animations? I was kind of let down by how many weapons have identical animations.

The greatswords actually do two hits, one small one to set them up, and one large one to knock them down.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My SL10 character is coming along nicely. Ornstein and Smough were pretty tough, but now it should be smooth sailing all the way to the kiln.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Haha oh man, if you max out the pyro hand as soon as you get it, it basically negates a huge chunk of the game's difficulty. Yeah, its cheating I know, but jesus pyro is incredibly overpowered. At least most other options are somewhat restricted by level.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nope, the initial run to the lantern is integral to the TOTG experience. I suggest that everybody goes in blind so that they truly understand what that place is all about. I can't believe the patch is robbing people of such a lovely experience.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Why does everybody feel bad about Sif? I stopped caring the moment he rolled up with his sword, and I actively rooted against him after he one shot me immediately the first time I fought him.

A bunch of furries, I tell you!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Smello posted:

Can anyone explain to me just what the gently caress you're supposed to do with Ceaseless Discharge? I'm way overpowered at this stage (nearly SL60), using Havel's and the Dark Wood ring for massive defenses, and he still takes off more than half health when he hits. He has 3 attacks, and 2 of them are completely unavoidable. His overhand attack hits no matter what I do, because the breeze blowing off his hands extends and rapes you no matter where you are. Every so often he follows up an unavoidable with a second hit that just ends it. Supposedly you can lead him to the pit near the beginning, but he only ever follows between a barrage of attacks. What in the gently caress.

Get in the back area of the little L-Shaped tunnel and he'll attack you with his tentacle but miss, and then you can whack the poo poo out of him while his arm is on the ground.

Remember, the back of the L-Shaped area, basically the entrance to the big pavilion where you pick up the gold hemmed robes.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Penny_Dreadful posted:

This picture would be so much better if it didn't have that lovely little anime person in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Goggle Fox posted:

Waited half an hour at Iron Golem. Got summoned. Summoner flew off the side of the arena in ten seconds. :downs:

Edit: Then he summons me again and I do the exact same thing. Do not block Iron Golem.

Iron Golem is exceptionally less dangerous than the platform he is standing on.

• Locked thread