Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lotish posted:

While I suppose this is true, it does make getting to different parts of the world less easy. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but unless someone knows if there's a teleporter or something it doesn't look like you can go rocking through the bog and step out to play in the lava caves, should that be your wont.

I think I read that there's a way to fast travel if you get a certain item or something: that bigass raven dude will haul you around, supposedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I also started with heavy armor until I got back into the Souls groove, then took it off. That's probably the better way to go, since heavy armor is expensive and/or a rare drop in the beginning of the game but light armor is common. So, better to bring some heavy armor with you into the game.

Wait, bring it with you? You can't import a character from Demon's can you?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Smelly posted:

Most are going to tell you PS3, since that's the only console Demon's Souls is on and the native console for Dark Souls.

However, aside from controller issues (The bumpers are the main buttons you'll be using on 360) It seems that the PS3/360 versions are nearly identical.

So, just go with whatever interests you the most.

The only other thing I could add to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an Xbox Live subscription to get any of the online functionality on 360?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

qbert posted:

There is no such thing as dick moves when dealing with invading phantoms.

I'm pretty amazed by the sheer number of invaders in that video. When you kill one does it just drop in another one in that area?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Initial impressions:

The combat is a lot better. Adding kicks and lunging attacks and weapon-specific stuff like the weird dashing-backwards-while-attacking-forwards attack with the Estoc add variety that was missing in Demon's Souls. I didn't know it was missing until playing around with this though.

The (first boss spoiler) Taurus Demon is an rear end in a top hat but it's pretty genius that you can trick him into jumping off the bridge. I managed to kill him with melee using the magic sword in the Valley of Drakes or whatever, but only after about 7 deaths due to my not noticing that there was a ladder to climb up and kill the arrow guys.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Welp just found a Zweihander in the very first area. Wonder how long it'll be til I can use it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Dumb newbie question about tutorial: I'm at the spot where you can traverese the white light and come out above the abyss dragon dude, right next to the "RB while falling for plunge attack" message, but I can't figure out how to perform it on the guy.. Is this just a trick to make me die a bunch? I can't figure out how to jump out and plunge onto him, and suspect I couldn't kill him with it anyway..

To jump, dash and mash the dash button at the ledge; it'll make you jump before you roll. You can just step out and do the plunge attack if he's right below you. Not that it will one-shot him, but it does a lot more damage than a regular attack.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

So I think I'm on the path to ring the cathedral bell but there's some big rear end in a top hat with a pitchfork who keeps spawning enchanted zombies or something, and even if I manage to lure enough of them away to approach, he one shots me. I'm pretty sure I have to take him out, because if I go forward he shoots me with soul arrows. What am I missing here?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

J posted:

Any bell gargoyle advice? I've been banging my head against these fuckers for a long time now - I just don't see how to get any more hits in once the second one comes down - one of them always is spraying fire or otherwise covering the second one. I can't land a hit without getting hit in return which usually leads to being killed even if I'm full health. I don't know what else to do at this point. I can survive just fine I just see no openings at all to get any damage in.

The second one seems a lot easier to kill if you can manage to get behind him and keep some distance from the first. As soon as he shows up I switch to him and take him out as fast as possible.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Crowbear posted:

You need to talk to him before the dragon bridge a few times until he gives you the stone, and then you can summon him before a few bosses as long as you're in human form.

Where does his sign show up? I used a humanity item and then the white stone he gave me and I couldn't get anything to happen.

Oh goddammit, you have to spend the humanity at a bonfire don't you?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

So people keep saying the pendant does plot stuff. I took the pendant, but what does it actually do that I wouldn't see otherwise?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

So I just (literally) stumbled upon the Gaping Dragon right after killing the boss of the Undead Burg Basement. Goodbye, 6,000 souls. What. The. poo poo.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

rizuhbull posted:

What does the extra blood and damage indicate? I'm using slashing weapons btw. I'm a thief, and about every 3rd hit there's more blood than usual and extra damage.

I thought that was a critical hit, but I could be wrong. I might not have been paying close attention but it looked like a normal attack was doing 15ish at first and the extra bloody ones were doing 25ish.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Two things:

1) Did I screw anything up by killing (covenant spoiler) the Way of White maiden and her cronies? Their covenant just sucks!

2) I'm SL40 now after grinding in the forest for a while, am I ready to take on Blighttown yet?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Where the hell is the Blighttown boss? I went through that stupid poison swamp and somehow came out on the other side under New Londo.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Risky posted:

Possible Glitch

I just killed the red dragon with ONE arrow. He fell off and disappeared and then I got 10k souls.

Go to the top of the tower where the black knight is in the area with the armored boar. Go to the top and there should be an open spot to snipe. Hit the dragon in the head with an arrow and he should drop off and he should die.

Hopefully others can replicate this.

Exact same thing happened to me.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

For anybody still having trouble with the Capra Demon, I found that a spear was the best way to take out the dogs. Just dash in, turtle at the top of the stairs, and poke while blocking after they lunge at you.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Sounds like your dagger might have a bleed effect on it.

Doesn't bleed just work the same way as poison?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Goddammit I hate these loving swinging blades

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

The rule of the traps in Sen's fortress is to figure out how to make enemies run into them instead of you.

There aren't even any enemies there! It's the narrowest one at the top with the bunch of 4 at the end. I don't think there's room to stand in between any of them. I made it through once by accidentally jumping, where I hit one but didn't take damage or fall off. Then I promptly died to the cannonballs on top of the tower.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

I know the covetous serpent ring is in Sen's Fortress, but whereabouts? I don't feel strong enough to tackle the fortress yet and I'd like to grind some shards down in the sewers, that ring would really help but I'm not sure if I could just sprint to it or not.

I don't think anyone answered this yet - in the room where the balls come down and land on the ball launcher, you have to follow one of the paths all the way down. It's the one that ends with a hole in the floor that's plugged by a ball - can't remember which one that actually is though, sorry. But yeah you run down to the bottom of the ball path, across the ball-plug and it's sitting up in a windowsill.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I'm at the last bonfire before the boss of Anor Londo. I got to the boss once with a kind fellow named ZOA-ANIMALIA guiding me around and killing everything, but everything here pretty much overpowers me it seems like. Is there any way to get out of here and go try the catacombs or something? I had to jump down to the doorway so I can't figure a way out...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

charismaslover posted:

Ugh, had enough of Blight town for today. I was on the swamp floor with flies and poo poo constantly respawning and came across 2 big guys chucking boulders and charging at me and they wrecked my poo poo.

Was I even going the right way? Does anyone know if there is a bonfire close by that I might have missed? It's going to suck going from the top all the way back down again.

That's the right way. You need to go in the little hole in the ground behind the boulder guys, but you can run right past them. I wasn't able to fight them successfully, at least.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I made it out of Anor Londo and now I'm trying to clear the Catacombs - clearly not the best place to farm. Is there any downside to killing Patches there?

Also, how the hell am I so terrible at PVP? People riposte every attack I do and have like a billion HP, it's insane

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Ok I just saw that Patches will sell you stuff if you don't kill him in the catacombs. Any idea what he sells?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

CrunchyTaco posted:

I was dicking around and found all the Stone Armor set. I imagine I won't be using any other armor for the rest of the game since it's about 3x as good as the next best armor.

It makes you hell of slow though so I hope you either have 40 endurance or hate dodging.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

RentCavalier posted:

gently caress you Snuggly, what the hell?

I have wasted 3 cracked red eye stones (and now only have one left) trying to trade for a curse-curing stone. I drop the item on the bridge, quit and reload, and nothing! No matter where I drop the item, I get no acknowledgement and I get no new item. WHYYYYY? It's such a pain to get back here...I'm gonna cry...

You have to actually put it in the nest, not on the bridge.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I read that the shield you get from using the Butterfly's soul is actually a crystal shield that isn't repairable. Is that right? Seems like a waste of a soul.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just killed me a Moonlight Butterfly and now I have a giant soul that promises me either a Fancy Weapon or Lots of Souls. So how does this work? do I just use it, or do I hold on to it for crafting?

Save it if you want to craft. You need to level whatever you're using it on up to +10 though (for the Butterfly I believe it's spear or shield)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

So I got the Lordvessel but I pretty much feel like I'm stuck anywhere I try to go. I'm almost debating starting over with a new strategy in mind now that I know how to fight certain enemies, what to upgrade, not to waste shards, etc. Hrm.

Traxis posted:

I have Quelaag's soul and a +10 Scimitar, but I'm not seeing the option to upgrade. Same thing with the Moonlight Butterfly soul and a +10 shield. Do I have to take it to a certain blacksmith, or have a certain ember? I tried the blacksmiths in Undead Parish and New Londo.

Gotta be Anor Londo I think.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Where do you get the Onion Armor?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I'm restarting with a Pyro, planning to jack INT and make him a Pyro/Sorceror mix. What's the minimum STR/DEX you can get by with for spears and some decent fast swords? Like 14/15?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry about that, but if I joined the Forest Covenant, can I go re-join the Way of White and get the soul farming loop back until I re-join the Foresters?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I invaded Lautrec and killed him just as I got killed by a soul arrow from the mage in there. Didn't get the armor and can't get back to his world :mad::mad::mad:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Crowbear posted:

The armor doesn't drop off him. Look around the top floor of the boss room after you kill them.

Oh hurray thanks! I'm trying to do New Londo before I go up there so I guess I would have found out eventually, but that's much less annoying.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

To get the Pyro Flame above +15, do you need to have the required number of souls on hand to get the upgrade to show up? I found the witch in the swamp but she only offers spells, no upgrades.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

In the Painted World, how far in is the NPC Phantom who drops the Old Monk hat? I need to figure out how many shortcuts I need to unlock before reviving; drat harpies be killin my rear end

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Yup. It'll be available from the merchant on the lower level of the aqueduct in Firelink once you beat them.

What aqueduct? What's it near? Not the guy in the sewer, right?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Akuma posted:

I hosed myself over by killing the boulder-loading giant in Sen's before breaking through the wall, didn't I? poo poo.

He comes back every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Perhaps one of you kind goons can help me out. I'm SL 28, still rocking the Drake Sword, a Caduceus Round Shield, and the heaviest armor I can find. I'm stuck in the New Londo Ruins where you approach the building that has the 'guardian' on top. I killed him from afar with arrows as I thought he was bad, hopefully I'm not hosed, although I did get a key.

I can't make it into this building without getting royally gang banged. If I try to lure the ghosts out a few at a time I inevitably fall into the water because the targeting system sucks my balls. Am I at an appropriate SL to be in this area? I'd love to travel to Anor Londo so I could have a working Bonfire in the Firelink Shrine, but I can't even figure out how to get there :psyduck:

With the ghosts, I get them following me and then run to the top of the stairs outside. They'll fly up to you and you can poke them to death with a spear. SL shouldn't matter if you can kill all the ghosts leading up to there.

• Locked thread