Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

Jetpack Postman posted:

More patch stuff:

Our WikiDot friends have been keeping track of some of the data mined patch changes.

So far we have this:

More to come, but so far it's looking pretty good. The changes to the Hollow Shield, Iron Flesh and the rest are a bit of a bummer, but higher scaling for weapons (ESPECIALLY uniques) and more are very welcome.

A lot of these changes make me very sad. How the gently caress am I supposed to kill the Four Kings without Iron Flesh?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

sentrygun posted:

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone acts like the Four Kings are impossible without Iron Flesh or the Crystal Shield.

Man, even using Iron Flesh it took me all 10 Estus that I had. Is there even any way to avoid the purple fireballs and grab attacks?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

sentrygun posted:

Yes. Assuming you haven't weighed yourself down to past the fat roll, there's an entire button dedicated to avoiding those attacks and many more. The purple AoE effects take a good bit of range, but if you know when it's coming you can get out of the way in time.

Did everyone just give up on trying to dodge when they found out blocking is really good most of the time?

Considering I put on full Havel's and grossly exceeded my weight limit because everyone said to tank them, I know I did (for that fight at least).

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

prussian advisor posted:

Barring that, is there any basic early general advice people would recommend for building a character or scavenging for equipment, with an eye toward making the tougher later parts of the game less aggravating? Are there any no-brainer things that more experienced people would understand to do that a novice wouldnt that would make the game a substantially smoother experience? I managed to get the first upgrade for the Estus Flask and made it about as far as the church and the beginnings of the forest before temporarily giving up after trying some two-dozen times to kill a twelve-foot tall knight in heavy armor wielding a mace the size of a streetlamp.

Get the Estoc and the Fire Keepers Soul from New Londo, along with all the graveyard items, before you do anything else. Upgrade weapons as much as possible if the choice is between that and leveling up.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

prussian advisor posted:

You mean the New Londo Ruins? The collapsed sunken area with the enemies I can't hurt? Where are these items? I remember finding an estoc (or some similar thrusting sword) but the only fire keeper's soul I found was in the aforementioned church with the megaknight in it. Wasn't real impressed with the estoc to be honest, I found the winged spear I found in the graveyard to be much better as a turtling weapon.

What I'd mostly used up to that point was a +5 longsword, +4 heater shield and an Elite Knight's Platemail that I found in the woods somewhere.

As soon as you cross the bridge to where the first ghosts are, turn right and go straight ahead along the edge. There should be a little outcropping all the way at the end on your right with a bright light at the end of it. It looks like the water is too high, but you can walk across the little platform and get the Fire Keeper's Soul there. Just fall off and respawn if you're not carrying a lot of souls, and BAM Estus Flask +2.

Well, this is clearer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHl-CqnjCs

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

prussian advisor posted:

So what's the best way to buy character attributes early on? I started as the generic warrior with leather armor/heater shield/longsword and mostly bought Endurance/Vitality/Dexterity/Strength in equal amounts. I didn't have nearly enough attunement or intelligence/faith to buy or utilize any of the early magic that I stumbled on. Are there any early "must have" magic spells that you'd recommend for any character? What's the easiest, most generally useful start stat-wise?

I normally pump DEX/STR until I can use the winged spear from the graveyard, then everything goes into END/VIT from there. Pyro is pretty drat useful as well, if you start with that class, even though you can't upgrade it until later. I did my early game farming mostly at the first Undead Burg bonfire. Save up all your consumable soul items so you have enough to buy the Crest of Artorias or whoever from the Parish blacksmith, and then you have access to all the souls you could ever want.

No idea what the best sorcery magic is though, sorry

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

Sorry this is a dumb question but does the new content get released as DLC on console tomorrow, or is it just PC?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

I can't beat stupid Nito

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

armoredgorilla posted:

If you're having trouble with the adds, consider that Nito is basically THE necromancer and respond accordingly.

Yeah I had to teleport out and I'm trying to build up a divine Man-Serpent Greatsword to take out the little skeletons now. All I had before was a divine morning star that does nowhere near enough damage.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

Alright so the Great Combustion and hanging by the door trick worked great on Nito, so thanks for that. Seath was a total cakewalk after that.

I'm now in the Kiln of the First Flame but I just bought the DLC last night in an attempt to beat it all before Tuesday. If I kill the final boss, will I have go play all the way through on NG+ before I can go to Oolacile? Have I locked myself out of it by beating all the other bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup

Dan Didio posted:

Whenever I try and hang back and let Nito come to me, he just spams Sword Dance.

I think he only does that if you have sunlight maggot/cast light/skull lantern active. He still did it a couple times to me but much less than the previous attempts.

• Locked thread
«2 »