Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Next week will be the longest week of my gaming life. Amazon says 8th October. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For those of us in the UK this is going to be a loving unbearable week.

I can't remember the last time I was genuinely hyped for a game this much.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hope someone tries to join and break as many covenants as possible and turn their game into a PPP (Purple Phantom Partyzone).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of amazon and whatnot, is there any in-game benefit to buying the CE as opposed to the normal one i.e. items/skins/weapons like most games do these days? I don't really care about soundtracks or art-books and I have no intention of using a strategy guide.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If it's anything like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic the kick is a move exclusively for shoving enemies from high places and abusing physics.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
edit; Gonna try this next time I boot up.

Speaking as another new player just getting through Dark Souls (three hours in and only just taken down the boar); is humanity very hard to find? I've gotten maybe three items so far. I really want to take part in the MP side of the game but wow, they really make you work for it if what I'm seeing is the normal amount.

Also I'm having a little trouble parrying.The parry animation itself is pretty long and it seems the effect isn't active through all of it. Anyone got any advice on timing?

Game is everything I was hoping for and more.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A little confusion over how the White Soapstone works. Is it used to summon other players to you, or does it let other players summon you to them?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sumixam posted:

Just to confirm: you can only leave/rate comments if you have orange soapstone?
Oh oh I know this one! Correct.

In the Undead Berg, if you begin at the bonfire, exit the room and go back down the stairs. There's a small pathway leading to two spear-skeletons. Kill them and clear away the barrels to uncover some stairs. Go down and out the first exit you see and there is a merchant on your right that will sell it to you.

^^^Where you can get it quick. Easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Heading down into Blighttown for the first third sixth time. I'm unsure about how to get my resist any higher. I rolled as a Knight so my starting armour has better poison resist than the set the one merchant I have found (Undead Berg) sells, and it seems a bit of a waste to throw all my souls into leveling Resistance stat.

Any advice? I am starting to hate that little ticking yellow bar more than anything else.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Jetpack Postman posted:

I'm at the point where you're at, and no matter what I do the best solution is simply: don't get it, remember where the dart blowers spawn and buy a TON of Blooming Purple Moss. Remember to keep your shield up at all goddamn times since you won't get an insta-toxic if you manage to block the darts.
Thanks man, who sells it? So far I've found a grand total of four merchants that sell things and I don't recall any of them selling that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love Fallout 3/NV. I enjoyed Space Marine but it was too short. Am I going to enjoy this game? It looks awesome and intriguing.
It's not like Fallout and it definitely isn't like Space Marine. It's closer to some unholy combination of Oblivion and Super Ghouls and Ghosts, an action-RPG permanently on hardcore mode, much more about skill than your gear. You can upgrade yourself and your weapons to mitigate some of the difficulty but every time you die the punishment is harsh (merchants and levelling work via the same currency system and on death you lose it all with only a single chance to get it back similar to Diablo 2 corpseruns, and everything except bosses respawn).

Your hand isn't held at all, you're free to walk off ledges to your death or run into zones many, many levels above you and you won't get any warning. It's fair but absolutely unforgiving, trying to rush or brute-force things will get you killed. The combat is great, the exploration and atmosphere is amazing and when you finally make concrete progress or kill a hard boss it is just incredibly satisfying.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Volitaire posted:

The parry knife is pretty cool, it does have a noticeably longer parry animation so its a bit easier to use and its R1 attack is nice and fast for occasionally interrupting attacks. I don't really think its better than using a good shield though.

Speaking of parrying exactly when does the parry window activate? Does it become active the second I press the button, or is there some point mid-animation when it happens which is different for every weapon? I'm using a shield and having trouble figuring it out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've found certain areas just flat-out won't let you use certain MP items. Drake Valley does it for the White Soapstone, for instance.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone know where Darkstalker Keathe is, the dude who sells Cracked Red Eye Orbs? I have a stock of humanity items now and feel like invading some dudes. Google just gets me some incomplete wiki pages.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

DeathSandwich posted:

Do note that this is directly tied to a covenant too, if you take that covenant to a certain level you'll get a non cracked red eye orb that you can use to your hearts content.
is it an easily missable covenant? If so mind spoiling where it is? If not I'll just keep playing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

darkhand posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about Darkwraith which you need to kill the 4 kings before you place the lordvessle down
Alright thanks. I just rang the second bell so it sounds like I'm nowhere near that yet.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think all of us have some small ideas on how the game could be made (even) better, almost all to how PVP items work. How good are From Software about patching games post-release?

It would be really nice to see the exploits/glitches removed and some updates to make it easier to get into PVP.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Or those Solaire Medals, for that matter.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

CaptainStag posted:

This is pretty awesome, and definitely helps avoid the game stagnating in the future and being broken up into two(or three!) versions. I'm glad they went this route.
I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 on the cheap just for this. I don't know how big the Xbox360 playerbase is but someone with 'our' Book of the Guilty should check and find out how many are in it. I'll bet it's nowhere near as much as the PSNs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bland posted:

Can you not see other peoples summon signs if you have yours down?
You can't see them if you're Hollow.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just beat the Iron Golem and without thinking clicked on the ring he left behind.

I never had Symphony of the Night for the PSX so I never experienced the feeling other people say they had when they discovered there was a whole second castle. I felt it just now though.

How loving big is this game?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man I got so lucky on the twin bosses. I was still human from kindling the previous fire to get more flasks (having died once already). When I got to the gate I noticed someone had their summon sign up so we duo'd them in like a minute. The huge guy went straight for him while the other one went for me. We just destroyed them. I think I'm gonna hang out near the boss door and repay the favour.

Speaking of the Lordvessel. Does it affect the plot if I give it to the Darkwraith duder? Just a yes/no question.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The sheer amount of stuff in this game is just mind-blowing. I keep thinking "alright I'm thirty hours in. There's no way I haven't seen all the areas by now" and then it just throws a whole goddamn castle/catacomb system/subterranean forest at me. I just got the Lordvessel, am I halfway through yet?

Game of the loving decade and it's only 2011.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
After getting the Lordvessel where are the three golden fog doors located? I know one is up a grassy hill at the very first AL bonfire. Where're the other two?

I somehow managed to not even see them going through the rest of the game, and I don't fancy backtracking the entire world to find them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm already planning my 'loving rear end in a top hat' run. Step 1: Get to Anor Londo and past the Four Kings at as low a soul-level as possible. Step 2: Join Darkwraith. Step 3: gently caress people up.

I kinda wish the Book of the Guilty recorded things besides people who broke covenants because I plan to be in it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I keep trying this but even at 25 to 50% encumbered I seem to be too much of a fatass to get there. I just need to get the timing down I guess. I am making progress into the fortress, though. Until I get smacked by another boulder anyway. :v:
I solved the boulder problem by getting Iron Flesh from the Pyromancer, putting on my highest-def armour and activating it, and then strolling up the boulder ramp not giving a gently caress. :getin:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Crowbear posted:

Just found my first Vagrant. It looked like a black and white crab that fired clusters of about 10 arrows at me. Took 2 hits to kill and dropped a twin humanities.
Forty hours now and I've seen a grand total of zero, so you're a lucky man.

I tried to solve the lack of them by going to the grand hall of Anor Londo and dumping my entire useless arsenal there. My screen was a maze of floating spinniing symbols by the time I was done.

Remember kids, repopulating the evil black crab Vagrant population isn't just optional, it's your god drat duty.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Toiwat posted:

A hint for those who have trouble getting past the two archers in Anor Londo - when you get to the top, shield up and rush the one on the right, he's much closer; if you get close enough, he'll drop the bow and take out a sword. Use a weapon that has a thrusting attack, preferably. In this position, the other archer should not be able to hit you because the pillar should be between you and him.

Still, those archers are a dick move.
Or if you don't want to risk falling and you have enough Poise you can just block endlessly until his reeling-back animation bounces him off the edge of the wall. :haw:

When I got that bow and some of those arrows for myself the first thing I did was find the closest Silver Knight I could and shot one right into his goddamn face.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Remember as well in Blighttown: TOXIN-THROWING ENEMIES DO NOT RESPAWN. if you can kill even one of them before you die your next trip down will be leagues easier.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I caught someone napping in New Londo Ruins last night. It was pretty obvious he had stopped to go eat or something because he was just before the bridge that let to the first hostile ghosts. Unfortunately he'd placed himself far enough away from the elevator to count as inside the area and thus invadable. It's so great when someone's cleared a zone and they've went AFK, and suddenly there I am stabbing them in the face.

So I guess what I'm saying is being a Blade of the Darkmoon is great fun and you should try it. No need to feel bad either because it's obvious they're guilty of something! :haw:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Any advice on weaponry for taking down the Crystal Golems in the caves? I'm using a +13 Bastard Sword and it isn't really cutting the mustard.

VV Alright, thanks. If I need an elemental weapon I may as well just buy a second blade and use that, I have enough souls to buy the Titanite and it seems a shame to waste the Chunks I've already put into this one.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 14, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think for that particular covenant you sin by either attacking an NPC of the same faction or by invading someone else. Know that if you do this I shall hunt you down one day.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bland posted:

Congrats on playing on PS3
I am seriously just going to buy a PS3 for this game.

I figure by this point the thing must have other exclusive games that will justify it eventually, but really I just want to experience multiplayer Dark Souls.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wow. Just took them down and it looks like the Four Kings will be the biggest speedbump in a low-level Darkwraith run. There's really just nothing you can do but pound each other until one of you falls.

Trying to think of the preparations you'll need to get them.

+15 Lightning weapon
Maxed armour. Not sure whether it would be easier to be light for better circling or heavy for more def
Havel's ring for poise and def since you basically ever block ever
Iron Flesh of course

Anything else you guys can think of? Remembering one ring slot is locked out because you need it to keep Abysswallking.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nope. +5 is the max for lightning.
Yeah I meant plus five, my bad. It comes from a +10 weapon and uses exactly the same mats so they're not too hard to make if you use the Stray Demon Slab for it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Just finished my first playthrough with the clock on fifty hours. Wow. The final area was amazing even if the boss itself was a little brainless and the ending could have been better. Or been there at all.

Next character is going to be a thief-style dodging parrying machine, since my first was a giant armoured bear with a huge 2hander.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

keyframe posted:

I think a good reason for most invasions to fail is because quite literally almost everyone joins the way of white covenant at the beginning of the game and you cant invade those. It is the best covenant for coop play so I see no reason to leave it for any of the other covenants. Invasion is fun in theory but not when it works like once every 1000 tries.
Wait seriously? I thought Way of White just made it easier to summon dudes. gently caress man that sucks, what were they thinking?

quote:

also the boss is super easy once you know the trick to it. I beat it on my second try with like, 6 flasks to spare

What trick? Is it just "Ironflesh + giant lightning twohander = funtimes" or is there an even better way?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of pyromancy is there any benefit to leveling up the Hand itself? Does it increase damage/duration of spells or something?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

not a dinosaur posted:

Is it feasible to get the ability to invade dudes at an extremely low level? I guess you have to basically beat the game which I haven't done with a regular character yet, but I have a level six dude with a drake's sword, finishing up Blight Town now, and it would be cool to just slaughter people trying to get help for the bell gargoyle or whatever.
The only roadblock to doing so is killing Four Kings. It is definitely possible (someone a few dozen pages back did it at SL11) but you basically need to have some good luck and a min-maxed weapon and armour set.

edit; It wouldn't take that long either really, if you took the Master Key so you could skip Blighttown.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Literally: Take all your armour off, sprint as fast as you can to the guy on the right, and 2hand him to death before he can switch from arrows to swords. The only time he'll ever have a chance to hit you if when you are approaching him directly, and one roll will get you into melee range.

Also speaking of parrying again I'm still a little unclear about how exactly it is activated. Using a shield the parry animation has a small motion to bring the shield up and a longer one as you swing the shield across your body. Is it this second motion that needs to intersect the enemy attack? Because I could swear I'm getting my timing milliseconds before they hit me and whoops, I died.

edit; Also started my total bastard run. SL6 and I've unlocked the Crest door in the garden. Time to upgrade my poo poo before I face Gargoyles.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 18, 2011

• Locked thread