Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is going to be a long five days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

I have heard that rolling in Dark Souls isn't as effective as it was in Demon's- not as many invincibility frames, and you need to be practically naked to get the fastest roll. Is that your experience so far?

I get the impression they improved heavy armor, and nerfed the roll a bit to balance things out.

At lower levels that is true, rolling in general has been nerfed. Rolls come out faster, but the recovery time has been increased. However once you get +20 dexterity you do a new roll animation that has almost no recovery time.

I'm rolling a warrior. They start with 13 strength and dexterity. That way it won't be too hard to hit 20 strength and dexterity for me. I'm going to focus on strength however because I plan to make a two handed sword speed character. Strength increases swing speed so that's going to be my main stat besides vitality and endurance.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 28, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

The starting classes look considerably fancier now, assuming that the art in the wiki is similar to what they'll be wearing in the game. I cannot decide between the Warrior, Knight, or Bandit.

I'm usually more of a knightly dude, but man that bandit looks kickass.

Yeah my willpower starting as a Warrior is wavering looking at that. Clearly the warrior has mostly superior starting stats, but the awesome looking armor you might be wearing for a while? It's important to beat the crap out of hellish hordes, but you do it looking cool or you go home.

On the other hand, the Deprived clearly has the best starting stats out of everyone. 11 stats across the board. Good place to build any character you want.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 29, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

How are the weapon and armour designs in this?

Much more medieval and much more functional. Fluted armor actually looks really good now. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/knight Though a lot of the streamers pick up this Grim Reaper cloth armor and stick with it instead of a full set of armor.

There is one difference going into Dark Souls is apparently strength increases how fast you swing a weapon and Dex increases your movement speed, so two handed weapons will be more viable now. Not to mention when you block with a two handed weapon it actually does mitigate more damage than blocking with a one handed weapon, which is a nice touch.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ErIog posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of going on my 8th hour of not really knowing if I'm going in the right direction.

That actually sounds really awesome.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I suppose I'll do the facebook thing. You can't go into Dark Souls without some help. http://goo.gl/lR7GL

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Do you turn the tokens in on the preparetodie website in on anything? Or what?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Best PvP video I've seen (maybe it's been posted already but I can't keep up with 20 pages of posts every 12 hours), only mild spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYmQrV-wak

The invading phantoms are purple because: They're hunting an oath breaker of their faction

This is the mild spoiler: There is a ring that reportedly makes you almost totally translucent in the forest area only

Man gently caress that bowing at the end. If you're going to grief someone in Dark Souls you do it to be an rear end in a top hat. You're there to assassinate them. You know what- if someone bows to me and takes the time to "introduce" themselves I'm going to use that time to get the first shot in, so I hope it DOES take off.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

What's the deal with magic in this game? I notice there is no mana.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is that spells in general seem to get more bang for the buck.

There is longer cast times and limited uses but harder hitting spells. They want you to use a spell and have it be well placed it seems. Also some spells have a "resonance" feature to it. The more people that cast resonant spells in an area empower spells for everyone.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Resonance is only for miracles, I believe.

Yes I should have mentioned that.

Well in that case, I forgot to mention that generally there are spells, and then stronger versions of the spell. For instance there is a Flame Toss spell that has 8 uses, but then a Strong Flame Toss which has only 4, but is more damage.

I think there is also supposed to be over 30 spells in the game if I recall correctly.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Leyburn posted:

There's no way to see how many souls you need for the next level up? *sigh*

Wait what? Explain this please.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ErIog posted:

The only way to see how many souls you need to level up is to already have that many souls. If you go to the level up screen the game simply won't let you add points to a stat unless you have enough souls to purchase it. So if you don't have enough souls then the game doesn't let you, and thus the game never displays how many souls it takes to level up to the next level.

That seems like a glaring oversight.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Damage types for physical are: regular/thurst/slash/strike

Did a quick test on the skeletons and my longsword+6 does as much damage as my mace+2, so it seems blunt is a bit more effective. One major difference is that the hard attack with the mace shatters their bones completely so they have to pick themselves up from the ground, while the soft attack only smashes their upper body. With the sword you can't seem to get them to the ground at all, the hard attack does the same thing as the soft attack for the mace.

Blunt obviously hurts skeletons more than a slashing weapon. It was the same thing in Demon Souls I believe.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

empathe posted:

Made a quick video of the spot I'm grinding fairly early in the game. Light spoilers (no bosses defeated, but you may see something you don't want ruined)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbjTaRJ3pk

Thanks. You don't make too many souls but I can see the repeatable nature allows you to do some light leveling and item grinding. Something I'll take advantage of.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDsSxLU0I8

Wow. I'm watching Zero's stream with this playing. It fits. I might just have to play Dark Souls with this in the background. Or maybe http://batpound.ytmnd.com/

Tough choice!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's amazing they don't let you reconfig the controls. Hopefully that's something they'll patch in.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/endurance

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/armor-sets

Reading this- how much endurance would you need to quick roll in Knight armor?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 3, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You need 30 dex to get the upgraded roll, though. Perhaps he had an item that boosted his stats?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'd really like to see Gametrailer's review. They consistently have accurate reviews.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

"It takes the concepts of deadly environments and unflinching difficulty introduced by 2009's infamously tough Demon's Souls..."

King's Field, the series the world forgot. :(

Don't worry. Seath is in Dark Souls. The developers remember.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

Someone posted earlier that a friend who got the game early confirmed that XBox Live private chat didn't boot you offline, only party chat. So as long as you only have one friend, you're golden.

So wait what is the difference between party and private chat and how do you get it to work

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Uh oh.

I used the bonfire while the dragon was on the ground. He hasn't respawned. I'm boned aren't I?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Could anyone give me a hint on where to go.

I'm soul level 26. I've defeated the Hydra, but the forested area and Dragon Valley seems to be way above my punching weight at the moment. Isn't there some sewers you can go to?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Yeah, you should have a Basement Key. You need to find the door that needs it! You should probably be able to guess :)

I've visited the tower and defeated the guy with Havel's ring. I guess I'll look around some more.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm at soul level 36. Where is a good spot to farm souls? I'm doing ok in the game, i'm making progress, but I really want to get a few levels and upgrade my gear. I'm tired of just using this Drake Sword.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Have you beaten the boss of the sewers? If not go there in undead form and leave a white sign near the fog door or the bonfire in the sewers and wait to be summoned. He's really easy to reach from the bonfire if you've opened the shortcut and he's not too tough. Gives out 12k souls.

I have beaten him yes.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pomale posted:

Can anyone give me a hint on where to go next (early game after first bell)?

I defeated the Bell Gargoyles and rang the bell. After that I could see no obvious path so I just sort of hosed around and killed that headless demon guarding the Darkroot Garden and the Dark Knight further down the Basin. I went ahead to the Catacombs since I know the next bell is underground somewhere and I got so far as beating the Pinwheel boss, only to be smashed in the Tomb of the Giants and lose the 6k souls I gained. I don't feel like this is where I should be going, and I'm getting tired of the the Catacombs and their enemies who give no souls. Is there some other path I missed?

Near the sunlight warrior guy on the dragon bridge there is a door. You should have the underground key at this point.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So my fire in Firelink shrine is out. Apparently the fire keeper has been killed. I have a black eye orb, but how do I use it?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Unknown_PC posted:

This is actually a long side event if you didn't kill the Yurt-look alike you rescued in the church. You'll be able to use the black eye orb in Amor Lando, around the half point of the game.

The good thing is you'll get two extra sets of armor not obtainable anywhere else if you do this side event instead of killing the NPC back at the church. The downside of course is that you need to find another NPC to upgrade Estus flask and you lose the Firelink bonfire for half of the game.

Once you kill Yurt 2.0 in Amor Lando, the Fire Keeper will be revived.

Thanks. Who do I go to about my Estus Flask?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm having trouble. Where is the darktown vendor?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is the woman who sells the flask upgrades in Darktown?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where is the estus flask upgrade person in Darktown?

And yeah I have 14 faith to use the sword as well, but it just doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as the Dragon sword. Nothing I have is really comparable.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

So are you supposed to eat those fire keeper souls?

No. Don't do it.

Take them To the mute woman in the firelink shrine. Or if she's dead there is a woman in darktown or something that can do it. But I can't find her. Anyone got any hints?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone know where the estus flask upgrade vendor is in Darktown?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sen's fortress is amazing. So much awesome items and so well designed.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Who teaches you arcane spells? I've found Soul Arrow and Heavy Soul Arrow, but I'd like to get the more useful ones.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where can you buy spells? I've just got Soul Arrow at the moment and I'd like to get more.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Where do you go to upgrade your estus flask If the mute woman is dead?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 6, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

So, I accidentally attacked the merchant in the aqueduct, the one behind the bars. I'm SL 15 and farming 30k souls for absolution would probably take a few hours. Is this merchant pretty important? Should I just restart?

She's alright. She has some useful items.

Once you unlock the best grinding spot in the game it'll take like 2 minutes to get 30k souls so I wouldn't worry about it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Technically there is a finite amount of humanity items you can get in the game, but killing enemies with counterattacks or backstabs gives you humanity. It's really rare though.

Rats have a rare chance to drop humanity so if you're feeling lucky and have the +item drop chance ring from Sen's Fortress you can just farm rats for it.

quote:

How do you defeat CD?

I got him back to his starting zone. You target him and when he starts groaning to attack you wait a second or so, then dodge to the left and keep running. I managed to avoid his attack every time and killed him with a lightning spear. He was pretty easy this way but again I just didn't get hit once. Every other time I fought him he pretty much one shot me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I believe those are finite. The hollowed woman in the sewers sells it but I bought it once and haven't seen it back on the vendor list.

If there is a vendor that sells humanity forever then I've got 50k souls to spend.

• Locked thread