Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got this game...14 hours in, and finally hit the point of screaming at my TV. I think I am boned in the worst possible way, and its going to take forever to get out of it.

Melee only spearman/rapier, stuck on the Great Hollow bonfire, cursed, and out of poison moss. I tried for an hour to fight my way back up Blighttown and still can barely get passed the initial swamp area and those drat infinite mosquitoes.

Is there an easier way to get back to the surface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Roumba posted:

Have you tried heading to the sewer-sluice bonfire?

Is there a particular spot where you are being annihilated?

I have no idea where that is. Is that near Quelaag's nest?

Pretty much, its been a bitch just getting back on the beach side of the swamp. I have to run in Shadow/Black Leather gear just to prevent from getting poisoned, so by the time I hit the beach, I get swarmed by 4 mosquitoes two of those fire-whip bugs and all while nearly out of stamina and wearing making GBS threads armor.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, you're worried about being poisoned? Just don't even think about that. There's no way to prevent it and no way you could have enough anti-poison items to cure it every time. Just accept that when you're down there, you're going to be in a near constant state of poison. Poison doesn't do THAT much damage, just keep drinking from your flask.

Well...it becomes an issue when your cursed and only have 5 flasks because I got cursed before kindling the Great Hollow bonfire.

But, I didn't even realize there was an elevator on the northwest side. That should help.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just let my Firelink Shrine bonfire keeper get killed. I should've learned from Demon's Souls to question guys who have creepy rear end voices.

I'm guessing there is no way to relight it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just beat Sif, and I know it has probably been said a thousand times already, but man...that was the first boss fight I felt bad about afterwards.

Quick question: How do you beat the Hydra (Flydra?) as a melee only character (who is faith/dex based)?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, at what DEX level does Ricard's Rapier start to outclass Estoc? I've been keeping them neck and neck (they're both at +10 right now), but I'm only at 16str/26dex.

What makes it worse is that I just grinded a bit to get my Wing-tipped to Lightning+2 and form the Dragonslayer Spear. Now, I don't know if I want to just keep with my original plan and spam dex through the room, or try for 24str to get Dragonslayer up and running. (I'm doing the lovely dex/faith build...so, the faith scaling will be pretty sweet.)

And, I'm kind of mad the fully upgraded Elite Knight set outdoes most other armor for its weight class, considering its so.....generic looking.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

oneliquidninja posted:

e: On the elite knight armor comment. Knight Armor, not Elite has one of the best, if not the best poise to weight ratios in it's weight class. It's way better then Elite Knight Armor in my opinion because Poise > Armor.

But they have the same poise and Elite nets you something like +5 to +10 def in every category while weighing only a pound and a half more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, here's a thing. (Tell me if I'm being as dickish as I think.)

About 60% of my invades in Anor Londo still has the guy somewhere near the bonfire near the beginning of the castle.

So, I run over and open the gate for them, then I go around and open up all the chests I can find before I run into them. The question is then...if I kill them or they quit/die/etc before reaching the open chest...will the stuff still be there when they come back?

If not, I think I just dicked about a dozen people out of the ring next to the blacksmith and half the crap around the silver knights.

On something completely different, I just beat Bed of Chaos (and really...finding the bug as the boss with one hit killing it floored me (best gimmick ever), but I didn't run into Solaire before the door. I ran into someone in the Gold Hemmed suit...was that him? I mean...I found him after the Centipede fight and talked to him, but never took the short cut, so is he still there or does his story not wrap up until you reach the short cut and succeed/fail in killing the chaos bugs?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cuchulain posted:

You already failed at killing the Bugs. he's waiting for you to go open up the shortcut now.

I can still get the Sunlight Maggot Helm, though, right? (I don't really care about him, I just don't want to go through Tomb of Giants with the drat lamp, and I don't have the Magic to cast light.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
SL70 and all I have left are Nito and Gwyn. Where's a good place to phantom, and should I crank out some levels before facing the final boss in order to no be underpowered for NG+?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Here's a dumb question. Do you have to be hollow for the crow to carry you back to the Undead Asylum? (For some reason, its not picking me up.) I spent most of my first playthrough hollowfied as to prevent rear end-hat invaders, but now I'm chuggin' around as a Human in NG+ to try and get all of the random NPC invasions proc'd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

homewrecker posted:

I don't think it matters, but it does take a while for the crow to pick you up the for the first return trip, maybe about a minute at most. So just curl up into a ball and wait and it should eventually happen.

Ok. Confirming that I was just not waiting long enough. And thanks to that Titanite slab, I'm getting my stabby-stabby on with a Sunlight Blade'd +15 Estoc. :black101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sumadartson posted:

Worst room in the game. By far.

Quoting for truth. I hate those things with a seething passion. At least in the sewer they are easier to go one on one with than the valley of them in the Catacombs.

Meat Miracle posted:

That room features neither absurd bloom nor dinosaur assholes, your statement is clearly false.

Dino-asses have no aggro range and you can make them kill each other easily enough. And you see them coming from a mile away. Wheels are two soft foot steps and spikey poise-, stamina-, and life-draining death on your back as you get swarmed.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 22, 2011

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

You don't even need to shoot the tail. The sword auto-drops after you do a set amount of damage to the drake, no matter where you hit it.

Not true. I killed it on my first playthrough by wacking it on the butt (but apparently not far enough out to register as "tail") and never got the sword.

Second playthrough, he flew away, because I didn't realize he leaves if you make it past him w/o killing him. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

So true. I've never hit that rear end in a top hat lizard with anything but headshots and got the sword on both my playthroughs so far.

Maybe it auto-drops if you kill him while he's wall-clinging? Did you kill him on the ground?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

artism posted:

Why would anyone summon for Queelag? Do all players get an increased reward if the kill is co-op'd?

If a Sunbro survives the battle, everyone gets a Sunlight Medal for the covenant.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So...do people not know of the big non-lava area way to the right during the Demon Centipede fight? Sunbroing for like...a half-dozen people today, and none of them ran over there. Most just stood there at the gate with their thumb up their asses, and a couple even ran to the left where the walkway is even narrower. :doh:

One guy summoned me three times and after the first I just kept spamming the Beckon and Waving motions before he entered the gate. But nope....he never did win that fight. (And all of these were obvious NG+.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ixjuvin posted:

fffuuuuuck that's super lame! Oh well I guess if I upgrade my GS to +15 I can dual wield them :unsmigghh:

I was just planning on using the Bloodshield, is that not enough protection? I'd figure that plus 40 end would give you a lot of bleed resist.

Lifehunt doesn't really need much in the way of bleed protection. If you're hitting people the way you're supposed to, they'll be dead before you'll proc a bleed-out. Its just there for the "oh poo poo" factor. My guy has 35 END, RoFaP, Havel's leggings and armor with Orstein's gauntlets and Mask of the Father, with Eagle Shield and I never proc Bleed on myself.

If you want a true Bleed set, double it with Pricillia's Dagger (or Uchigatana of your choice) and when your meter gets up there, just swap and swipe their shield until they proc, then switch back.

As for the Great Scythe, it is interesting that even with 44DEX, if you have anything over 16STR, a +15GS will be about equal with a +5Lifehunt. Its just the switch off between a 300 bleed rating with a 500 and the self-infliction.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I just found out the window to stab someone after a riposte is long enough to switch weapons.

I was Sunbroing when an invader at least 100 levels higher than me came in (seriously...he was wearing robes, and my +15 Estoc was doing 30 damage a poke). I got him into a corner after dodging all of his casts, when he ripostes my third stab, swaps to an Iaito and eviscerates me mid-bullet time. :stare:

On a slightly different note, they really need to change the Great and Lifehunt Scythe riposte/backstab animations to match ultra greatswords or great clubs. Its just weird to see someone get "stabbed" by a scythe.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Niccy Bones posted:

Man, gently caress Forest Hunters covenant. I know I want a Ring of Fog and all but the only people I seem to invade are people who are there entirely to gently caress with me/I'm really, really bad at pvp.

Dude. Just trade with Snuggly. I think you need to give her a Skull Lantern. Its soooo much easier. You should be in the Forest Covenant just long enough to buy everything you need from Shiva, then kill the ninja dude for the flip ring and that's it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Crap...got about 90,000 souls stuck in the Abyss, and I cannot for the life of me beat Four Kings. It was easy on my first playthough, because I sort of forgot about New Londo Ruins and it was the last thing I did before The Kiln, so I was way over-leveled. But this time I'm only 48.

I've tried a couple different strategies...I tried my regular set up, silver knight everything, grass crest shield for stamina regen., and my fire halbard +5. That didn't do so hot...tried going heavy armor...Havel's everything, regular crest shield for better stability and magic defense, and used some green blossoms for stamina. Did better, still not great. Switched out to my lightning flamberg +3, was dealing more damage, still a no go...that's now upgraded to +5, but I haven't gone back yet, cause that little extra won't be enough.

And there are no summon signs down there...I can't even summon the Witch because I didn't summon her for the Butterfly. :mad:

Do you have the embers to boost anything +10? I'm guessing you're dex (or mixed) since you're using the Flamberg and Halberd, so I would go Great Scythe if you got it from the Catacombs. +10 and two handing should do the trick.

Crossbar posted:

What are the white circles I see randomly floating around? I can't seem to interact with them in any way.

If you have any miracles equipped...see if they have a white ring. If you see one on the icon for your miracle, it gets a boost while in the area.

efb

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My new favorite hobby is invading completely naked in Anor Lando (bonus if its darkened) except for a talisman and the Sunlight maggot. Playing tag is fun, and if they don't bite, I just chuck throwing knives and fecal matter at them until they get mad and start chasing. :haw:

Its fairly effective, too. First guy chased me for 15 minutes until I lost him, and 2 minutes later he apparently died. And, apparently, throwing knives can stagger people in full Havel's, because the second guy got eviscerated by a pair of Silver Knights when I staggered him with a 10HP throwing knife. Oops. Third guy was tag-teaming me and I managed to get the phantom to kill himself until I accidentally rolled off the causeway dodging an axe swing. :doh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

And yeah, lagstabs are awful. I've never actually been on the receiving end of one, but there's really no way to avoid them.

I suffer from them all the time, but "meh"...what're you going to do? I think it has to do with the fact that it is mostly Japanese players online the time of day I pick up the controller. That having been said, I have also had a bunch of fights where the guy appears to be "legitimately" backstabbing me, but I go into the animation without taking any damage. That's always kind of weird.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KingShiro posted:

Pretty sure it was brought up before but what's the preferred Int weapon(s)? I have Moonlight Butterfly Horn+1 and a Magic Estoc+5. I was going to get a weapon to +15 and just throw on one of the temporary enchants.

Depends how far in the INT you're pushing. If you're going straight Mage, then Moonlight Greatsword is the best, but you can get it until fairly late in the game. If you're going mixed or want a primarily physical character, then it depends on which physical stats you're upping (though Moonlight is still arguably the best if you're going over 40INT).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sucaballuc posted:

So....Solaire
I followed all the steps to keep him alive. Ground out enough humanity to open the shortcut, killed the chaos bugs in the antechamber, but as soon as I opened the door he came running out with a sunlight maggot on his head.....:(
Oh, and in my surprise we ended up killing each other at the same time, so I didn't even get his armor set.
Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is killing the centipede demon before finding him, but I never entered LI....so I have no idea. Now he's dead and I don't even get his sweet sunbro armor.

Did you get the Sunlight Maggot, yourself, when you killed all the bugs? If not, it means you didn't get them all. And you have to do that before reaching Lost Izalith (like...literally, the title of the area can never have appeared on screen as if you have entered it).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SnipeShow posted:

Just lost my playthrough worth of humanity to a chest in Sen's Fortress (and then getting glitched/stuck on the bridge when I went back to get it). For all the retarded messages people love to leave on the ground that floor sure was clean.

Also, what does humanity do?

Uhhh....were you using all of the humanity sprites you were picking up? If so, you should really just hold on to them until you need to use them for something, due to the aforementioned gimptitude of losing any "loose" humanity with your souls on bloodstains.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Holy crap, why didn't anyone tell me Velka's Rapier's R2 was two vertical slashes? And they come out so loving fast. This is officially my new favorite weapon. Too bad the base DEX damage (and scaling) is so low, but it'll tide me over until I get the MLGS.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whaley posted:

Anyone else lose 890,000 souls today in one death :iamafag:

Dark Souls

:stare: I always go shopping after hitting the 200k mark, usually investing in the twink. Eventually, I'll have enough to bring every cool set of armor up to +5.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I found a Japanese hotspot for PvP (SL approx. 80) - Centipede Demon. I was on an invasion kick, and for about 4 hours, it was the same dozen or so guys that kept popping in and out of everyone else's world.

I like how sporting they are about their PvP too. They had one guy acting as a host and summoning the rest as dark phantoms. Then the host would just sit on the tree root with his binoculars out and watch the phantoms go at it. At one point we all just stripped down with the exception a couple medium shields (at least one was Sanctum) and just go wailing on each other. Once that got boring, we all ran up to the top of the tree root right before the platform and bumped heads with our shields up trying to shove each other to their deaths.

Of course, I came out victorious. Shield shoving master. :smug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I realized I want to make an Artorias build. Now, I'm trying to find the minimum stats necessary to carry everything and get a decent roll to go with it. I'm thinking GSwoA and GShoA with secondary weapons being a Talisman and maybe Crystal Tin Catalyst. The question is...what armor would he wear? Silver Knight (28.8 lbs)? He was one of Gwyn's Knights...but maybe something like Paladin (33.1 lbs) would be more fitting?

Assuming Silver Knight set and all that, I need enough END to wear 57.8 lbs of crap and remain under 50%. With a Havel's ring, that means at least 32 END.

Requirements for the Greatsword:
24STR/18DEX/20INT/20FTH
And the Greatshield:
34STR

So, I need to be at least X/X/32/34/18/20/20 for minimum anything.

The best starting class seems to be Wanderer, since you start at SL 3 and already have a decent spread with 10/11/10/10/14/12/11/8. So, I will be at SL 70 when I hit minimum, but I need 2 attunemnt slots, so one point into ATN for SL 71. I plan for it to be a SL85 SUNBRO, so the question now is...what should I do with the other 14 points? END is pretty much set, but VIT is lacking.

I want your guys' opinions. Should I just bump VIT up to 25? Should I forgo any other semblance of defense other than the Greatshield and just bump my FTH to 30 to get WotG and up my magic damage while keeping VIT at 10?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cosmik Debris posted:

What's the best weapon against nito and the tomb of giants in general? I'm using my +5 lightning mace with good results but all the messages I see are telling me to use divine.

The mechanics behind Nito and his skeletons are just like the Necromancers. Unless you kill them with divine weapons, they will just keep reviving.

That being said, I survived by dodge and just keeping close to Nito. He resorts to using his miasma shockwave when you stick close to him, and he takes out his own guys in the blast (albeit temporarily). Just watch for his grab move, and heal at 50% like with 4 Kings and you should be good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BigLeafyTree posted:

One little thing I didn't see mentioned is how attacks link together. Most weapons have a combo you can do by pressing the same button repeatedly, like Light(1) > Light(2) and Heavy(1) > Heavy(2). If you go from heavy to light attacks it goes Heavy(1) > Light(2), but going light to heavy will give you Light(1) > Heavy(1). It doesn't come up super often but it can be useful. Also, if you're not locking on to enemies you can point your stick as you're inputting the next command to do things like dash attack the guy in front of you, then slam the stick down and press heavy to pul a quick 180 and leap attack backwards.

Claymore-like weapons have a nice 2-handed R1-->R1-->R2. The last swing is a 180 degree arc, can be manually aimed, hits like a truck and comes out nearly twice as fast as the preceding vertical R1 swings. Its pretty much the best trap for guys who shuffle looking for backstabs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mango sentinel posted:

Also, I remembered Great Scythe was the bad one

Uhhhhh. Nope.

Great Scythe is the go-to PvP weapon for pretty much any DEX build (alongside various Katanas and the Lifehunt Scythe). I mean...come on man. Its a long rear end reaper scythe. The regular Scythe is just a glorified Halberd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

Aha, thanks. I've been wanting to upgrade my Zweihander to a Fire Zweihander, I just haven't found the ember for it yet. I may've missed it somewhere...

Also your avatar bugs the hell out of me.

You automatically have Fire upgrades available when you find the Catacombs blacksmith. You'll need embers to bring it up past +5 or to make it Chaos-type, though.

e.f.b.

I never understood the reason for fire based weapons instead of lightning, since I'm sure every weapon gets the same bonuses with the only difference being elemental, and half the end-game (and most PvP shields) resist far more fire than lightning. Is it just saving the standard titanite for other things?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 10, 2012

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. I think I found a secondary effect for the Old Witch's Ring. (Though, it may just as easily been a glitch, since this game is known for a few oddities.)

I joined the Chaos Covenant, gave 10 humanity to Quelaag's sister to up to rank +1 (with the ring equipped). I then proceeded to pop off 20 solid humanities to give me exactly enough to reach rank +2. But it granted me rank +2 (confirmed by earning Chaos Firestorm) after offering only 5 humanity with the ring still equipped. She unexpectedly said "Thank you, sister" is a not-so raspy voice as well.

Glitch or not, I ended up offering the other 15 just to see if there was an actual 4x modifier or something with the ring, but I didn't reach rank +3 with only those 15, so if its not program chicanery, it may only help you between +1 and +2.

I'm going to have to confirm this on my next character as some point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The best time is anytime...I killed him after I rescued the woman from the tomb...like, RIGHT after...I don't know how long of a time you get between rescuing her and him killing her...I've read/heard that you can finish Tomb and kill Nito, and go back to Firelink, but then if you go anywhere else she'll end up dead, but there's no penalty for killing him at this point, IIRC, other than not being able to buy miracles until you rescue the woman.

I'm pretty sure that event triggers if two major events occur (i.e. you beat a boss) after you save her.

Interestingly enough, you can get an option from Lautrec before he shanks the Firelink Firekeeper and buggers off to buy some info off him about Petrus. If you pay him, and later talk to Petrus, he drops the whole chivalry act. Sadly, five and a half playthroughs and I've only had the option proc once from him, and didn't have the souls at the time to pay. Anybody know when you have to talk to him to get that option to appear again before he disappears?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChibiSoma posted:

Okay, so gently caress the Tomb of the Giants in the eye, first of all. How the gently caress am I supposed to see where the gently caress I'm going? How? I can literally only see about a foot ahead of my god drat character. Which is a problem with multiple giant skeletons, tiny ledges and slides, and things shooting massive arrows at me from the darkness. I thought I was safe, jumping down a small hole but no, apparently the giant skeletons can leap down those just fine. I was on a small ledge, couldn't see anything below me, so I died.

gently caress running back to get my bloodstain. gently caress trying to run through the room of Wheel Skeletons. gently caress trying to figure out where the hell that blacksmith is.

I guess I'm just supposed to crank my drat brightness levels up to be completely intolerable everywhere else but there. I don't see how else I'm supposed to learn where to go. Because I'm not going back into that shithole without some kind of assistance.

E: Oh wait, Brightness is already at 10. Rad. Great. Fan-loving-tastic.

There are three different ways to brighten your day, so look at what you have with you. The best part is, once you find one, you end up with visibility longer than the aggro range for the skeletons (minus the archers).

e.f.b. You know what. I think we need to stop handing out answers to these guys. That's just a pet peeve of mine. Let them figure it out. Just give them hints in the right direction; especially, for you guys who just keep coming back and/or bitching. If you've so pissed and don't want to think, look at the wikis. The fun is getting sapped from me just by reading this stuff.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 14, 2012

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

This thread's gonna turn into a ghost town if we all stop asking questions. I am guessing a lot of other people are like me and enjoy/don't mind answering other people's troubles. Some of us don't find wandering aimlessly for hours hoping to stumble across an answer to be very fun

I'm not against asking questions. That's fine. Its straight answering the most basic of things.

How do you beat an area that is dark?
How do you beat an optional boss when it one shots me and I do 30 damage a swing?
Why can't I hurt Seathe?

Granted; there's a lot of poo poo in this game which is easy to miss (Great Hollow/Ash Lake/saving Solaire/Onionbro/etc), but everything needed to complete the game smacks you right in the face with even the most cursory of attention.

Personally, I just garner more pride out of getting through something on my own, and it completely ruins the feeling for people to say "You have the following light sources, and they can be found here, here, and here. You need to go X distance and fight Y enemies in Z area to...blah blah blah." Just let'em play the game. Give'em a direction and let'em loose.

I know its a useless rant, but I just feel it destroys what makes this game a classic. The complexity of its simplicity is the whole point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
^^^^^^^^^^^
Cases in point. (I'll stop, now.)
[/derail]

I started a no-shield (Dex-based) game yesterday, and I've got to admit...it ratchets the difficulty up immensely. Now, I have to worry about dodging giant bosses when I would just absorb before. Its going to be fun figuring out timing on some of the giant bosses...especially since I'm pretty sure there are some attacks you just can't roll-dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Brace posted:

I must've killed this black knight with the Great Axe six times, with the serpent ring, and he still hasn't dropped his stupid weapon yet.

Also, these people that lose at fighting in melee that invade you, so they just use these stupid AoE stuns to kill you are pretty pathetic.

Meh. Wrath of the Gods is just as easy to dodge as any other AoE attack, even if it comes out a little faster. And really...that's the only one that doesn't telegraph itself from a mile away.

• Locked thread