Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Very nice OP, this game is going to be absolutely fantastic.

Maybe some of the goons who have the game already can share some of their first looks in the thread to give some people more of an idea.

Personally I'm going to fat roll my way to victory! :black101:

Edit: Oh and another tip to add at the bottom there.

- Do not neglect your shield, it WILL save you, time and time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^Rumor, from what I've heard, it looks and plays the same, aside from the controller differences.^^^

Megafunk posted:

Yep, that's one cool OP. So what's the policy on spoilers? (As if I havent completely spoiled it all on the live streams already.)

Same as any other game, if you think it might be a spoiler, throw it in some tags.

Looking at some of those photos in the OP I have to ask.

Is that a loving cat?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The.GreyWolf posted:

From what I understand, the game is only 3.6~ gigs, as it was ripped by some pirates. I'm pretty sure that "heavily compressed" is a bunch of bull and just brought up so people won't get it on the 360 or something.

It was a horrible attempt at starting up a console war, I think.

I too, shall be keeping tallies of my deaths (the first marathon session I have)

I'm sure it'll be up there. But, coming from just getting Plat for Demon's Souls. I have my hopes set high.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Not at all, they're very simple.

R1/RB for light attack with your right hand
R2/RT for heavy attack with right
L1/LB for defense/attack with your left hand depending on if you have a shield or weapon
L2/LT for parry

Then it's your typical Dpad to change equipment/weapon/spell slots
Square/X to use equipment.
Circle/B to dodge.
Triangle/Y to switch from one hand to two handing your weapon.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Great!

I'm going to have to report back how I'm doing once I get my hands on this game, and either bring you guys a success story or (much more likely) lots and lots of deaths. :shobon: Thanks guys.

Please do report back.

The best part about the Demon's Souls thread is the new players reporting their experiences.

Don't skimp on details either! We want to know just how bad you poo poo your pants when you came across some horrific nightmare of a beast. :)

You know what I'm excited about? The fact that game isn't region locked for MP. Now I can help some of the guys on here from across the pond!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Oh my god if the disguise spell let you turn into a crystal gekko that would be the best thing ever.

"Huh, that's weird why is that gecko running towards me? OH MY FUC--"
YOU HOLLOWED

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Schubalts posted:

No no no, a large enemy uses a crystal gecko-shaped lure. Like a giant, horrible angler fish.

Or a swarm of geckos surges around the corner and engulfs you.

It'd be a little disconcerting if we found out that Geckos eat flesh.

They just swarm you and then after they leave you're just bone and bits of armor.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
UPS delivers around 3PM for my area, which works out perfect as I work until 4. I can come home and go straight to playing if I want to.

Now if that's going to happen is another issue. But I enjoy the fact that I will be getting home to a sweet package of death.

Edit: Funkmaster, I'm in the same boat there; the only places around here are Gamestop and Walmart, and neither will break street date. :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Gyoru posted:

IGN is doing a 24-hour marathon livestream of Dark Souls on Thursday (9/29): 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196640p1.html

Dark Souls topped the Media Create Sales Chart for Week 38, 2011 (Sep 19 - Sep 25) in Japan with 279k PS3 copies sold. (DS was officially released on 9/23)

This is great news! Good to see that From is getting the sales for this game that it deserves.

actionjackson posted:

To be honest, I've never played a game of this genre before. Should I not even bother with this or the prequel?
If you're interested, go for it. Now, if you're on the fence because of price, I say get Demon's Souls first. That way, you're not dropping $60 on a game you might not care for.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think it's due to the way it was advertised. I don't really know how well Demon's Souls was advertised over there but I imagine they went all out on this one.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Demon's Souls and (I assume) Dark Souls are actually extremely simple games. :ssh:

Think of them like old arcade games, they're extremely simple but difficult as hell until you get some more practice in.

I can probably sleepwalk my way through Demon's Souls now, and I put perhaps 80 hours into it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I said come in! posted:

The checkpoint thing won't be an issue. The Bon Fires are the fix to the complaints players had with Demon's Souls, with having to do all of that running back to a boss and killing everything over again.

Farming is going to be a hell of a lot easier now as well, no more long rear end load times after killing the enemies you're farming.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I don't think I'll mind traveling. What little of the gameworld I've seen, it almost looks like they want you to get lost in the maze of pathways. :allears:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Macksy posted:

Are there any walkthrough videos that really explain how the combat in this game works? I like the difficulty of games like ninja gaiden and bayonetta and have been wanting something new, but i can't tell if I will like this(I understand it isn't fast paced and linear like those.)

The screenshots and text aren't really helping me and I haven't played the games it has been compared to.

Edit - I get the exploration and how the world works parts, but the combat mechanics are still fuzzy to me.

You could just go watch some gameplay videos on youtube to get a general idea of the game.

They're very simple mechanics though, it's mainly about position and strategy than power/skill

Even the trash mobs will gently caress you up if you overextend yourself.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I'm playing like I played Demon's Souls.

Heavy armor and a sword and shield.

Disadvantage? Perhaps. But I look badass as I'm slaughtering countless dreglings. :black101:

Is the rune shield and sword back in it? If so I've got an idea to play as Ostrava again

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm making a pyromancer for a Fat Minister rp playthrough. Also, they have the coolest looking starting outfit :swoon:

I wish there was a way to make your character do the fat ministers laugh. I'd RP as one in a heartbeat.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
All this Scraping Spear talk has made me realise.

I've gone through 2 NG+ and a NG++, the 2 NG+ I beat entirely in human form online.

Of all the times I've been invaded, I have NEVER encountered anyone using clouds or the Scraping Spear.

Guess I'm just lucky v:shobon:v

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I just find it funny that we had almost a full page of complaining about it like it's a huge epidemic.

I plat the drat game and never encountered it. It's just weird.

I stopped leveling at 120 as well.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I thought they were making ALL the armor Unisex this time :confused:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Metrohunter posted:

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this

I never understood that mindset, it made playing Jedi Academy very boring. :(

"YOU HAVE TO BOW FIRST"

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've had people send me angry messages because they took the time out to bow, I saw an opening to one shot them.

I'm all for roleplay, and even do it to an extent in the game (using only certain armors, weapons) but, online, make sure the other guy is doing it too before leaving yourself open. :v:

Edit: VVV DFA caused so much rage, it was great. VVV

Draven fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 29, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

Haha, you bastards. I never saw the bowing thing as an attempt to roleplay, it's just the easiest way of communicating "I'm ready" to the other guy.

Where's the satisfaction in killing someone with a cheapshot? Pffft!

The satisfaction on par with why you don't bow to Flamelurker.

He doesn't care about your honor, he's here to kill you, and he WILL do that if presented with the opportunity.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

sighnoceros posted:

In Demon's Souls my favorite tactic was to try to get ahead of the player and lay in wait with other enemies. Then attack when they're dealing with them or just after when they're still recovering or think that "oh all the enemies are gone now".

I need to hide in the shortcut in 2-2 and wait for someone to drop, then push their rear end off the platform.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Pallet Pusher posted:

Thanks. Can I just buy some leather armor or is there something I can find? All I have is Fluted which is not light at all.

There's Black Leather in one of the Iron Maidens in 2-1.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

gravyflood posted:

Does the game check against who you're playing with, or does it just boot you out if it sees any Party/Private Chat going on?

You can't use it at all.

If you've played Modern Warfare 2, it's similar to that. It won't let you play if it sees you in a chat.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Might as well join the :bandwagon:

http://goo.gl/HGFnb

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I have no clue, but, I payed it forward.

:stare: I went from Rank 15306 to 83...

Edit: 75 now. I'm not even doing anything. :|

Draven fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 30, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Huh, apparently I have two achievements.

One for solving the Glyph wall and one for becoming a fan of their facebook page.

I'm now down to rank 7035:catstare: and I have no idea what's going on but apparently they've been giving out swag to people on their forums.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Gazmachine posted:

Quick thought on PvP now - I just realised that heal grass abuse is out, because they took about 0.5 seconds to consume and now the drinks take at least twice as long, so that will immediately negate that problem. That's pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure that invaders aren't allowed to heal at all now.

I plan to have a drunken weekend to help it go by faster. Than after work tuesday, my old fling from way back, Death, shall once again come home to embrace me.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^:patriot:

Hell, I don't see why you can't be drunk for a week. ^^^

If the Masterkey is non-consumable and the only item you can't get through regular gameplay, it really is kind of a no brainer to pick as your gift.

I won't be picking a thief for it, I'll just take that as the one gift. I'm starting as a Knight; I mean, look at that armor. :swoon:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Brother Scrotum posted:

I'm considering getting a console to play these games since they seem to be exactly what I want. I don't want to start a console war or whatever, but I am curious .. If there is a version of demon souls and or dark souls that is superior in some fashion, which one would that be?

Most are going to tell you PS3, since that's the only console Demon's Souls is on and the native console for Dark Souls.

However, aside from controller issues (The bumpers are the main buttons you'll be using on 360) It seems that the PS3/360 versions are nearly identical.

So, just go with whatever interests you the most.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Sankis posted:

It's really hard to resist the urge to call up nearby gamestops and see if they broke the street date. I want to play this game right now.

I wonder if they'd even tell me over the phone.

Only way I can see them telling you, is if you ask if it's available.

If you ask if they broke street date directly I'm sure they'd clam up and tell you no regardless.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Evil the Cat posted:

The chinaman that runs my local game shop said that the developers inserted phantoms with max stats into the game to prevent people from having fun before release date. Confirm/Deny?

When people in Japan were playing it before release, From Software was invading their worlds with extremely amped up characters.

I don't think they are still doing that.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Okay, I have to know:

I read somewhere (Might have been the previous thread) that going off the beaten path from the start you could run into Ghosts that will ruin your day

Is this true? I want to know if I'm going to be attacked by Slimer if I decide to take a left than a right. :ohdear:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Dominic White posted:

Before the official release date, From Software devs (using a freaky hybrid monster/player model) with maxed out stats would randomly invade, stalk and murder the players running it early. Player-controlled, of course. It was pretty clever stuff. Naturally a bunch of people got terribly upset by this, because some people are big whiny babies.

More Developers need to do this. That poo poo was so awesome.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, one of the first directions that you can go has enemies that will almost certainly kill you instantly and you have no way of fighting at that time. Solution: get killed (or just run like hell), don't go there again.

:D Good to know this game will not only kill me, but piss on my ashes as well.

and I know all too well that dying is a solution. I plat Demon's Souls after all. Yes I will boast this I'm proud dammit

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Vadun posted:

Any news of players actually killing one of the uberdevs?

With maxed out stats that would have been practically a miracle, after all they'd do piss poor damage to a staggering amount of health and have to dodge what would have been a one hit kill.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Yeah, but the Old King this time around wouldn't have an exploitable AI.

Edit: VVV Maybe he was just trying to play tag you big meanie. :mad:VVV

Draven fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 30, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The Moon Monster posted:

None of the classes will lock you in to playing certain way like they would in, say, Diablo.

This is one of my favorite things about both Demon's and Dark Souls. I can throw a few levels into dex, decide I don't want to use the curved swords and then turn around and pump another stat without having to re-roll and start over.

More games need it so you don't so much pick a class, but pick what you start with.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samurai Sanders posted:

Back in the old thread I mentioned that there is a gate that is locked from one side (like in Demon's, the ones that allow you to shortcut areas you have already been in) that even though I opened it, for some reason kept being closed when I came at it again after dying. I thought it was a bug, but just now I saw an enemy see I was coming, and run to the other side of the gate and close it to keep me from getting through.

This game, man...

Hahaha there's regular enemies that pull the Fat Official move in 1-3?

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
To all you fucks that managed to get a hold of the game early :argh:

That said, it's around the corner and I can wait 3 more days.

• Locked thread