Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
This game looks awesome. I can't wait to rock out as an axe wielding pryo.

Here is my mystery link: http://goo.gl/0TQRB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Leyburn posted:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

From something I read while looking to see if this game was interesting to me to want to spend $60 on (it totally is!) Your egghead might actually hatch something

edit: I just saw the picture he posted, is that the same thing as the egg head? It looks AWESOME

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 2, 2011

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
So if your block and attack are the shoulder buttons, what are the triggers mapped to do?

I often forget about the shoulder buttons since I hate them so much.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
As far as the drawing for the statues is concerned, someone posted the rules earlier in the thread

http://www.preparetodie.com/official_rules_Dark_Souls.pdf

It looks like its just a random drawing from all the people who entered on facebook according to #3 and #5 in the rules.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

fadam posted:

I think I just glitched my game...

So here's the deal.

I beat Moonlight Butterfly and got the Watchtower Basement Key

I beat the Belfry Gargoyles and rang the bell.

I ran to the Watchtower Basement and when I try to open it it says "it's locked" even though I have the Watchtower Basement Key" in my inventory.

Goddammit I just started over today and this happens :(

I'm pretty sure the watch tower basement key is the one leading to Havel. You might mean the basement key which is on a corpse in the parish if you are wanting to go into the lower burg.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

fadam posted:

Are you sure? http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Lower_Undead_Berg says otherwise :(

Yeah, I'm sure. I had the same problem you had. The wiki has been wrong about a lot of stuff this week while they figure things out. Go check near the big gate lever in the undead parish.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RavenKrows posted:

So 360 guys, how's the game really handle online? I know the community is smaller than PS3 but is it so bad to where I shouldn't touch the game unless I just want singleplayer? I don't have a PS3 but always wanted to try out Demon souls. The thread sounds negative about the 360, but I can't find any one thing in particular to decide on.

I'm on 360 and the online is pretty random. I find that if it takes too long for me to get summoned when I want to help others I just restart the game (it seems to connect you to other networks i.e. I get all new different messages people have left on the ground)

On the other hand, I've tried summoning others a handful of times and always get "summon failed"

Also, if you want to co op, make sure you are in a co op covenant. After I quit the Way of the White on my first character, he never gets summoned anymore.

As far as pvp goes, the only ones I have joined are the gravelords and the forest hunter.
I have no idea how the gravelord pvp is since I gave all my objects to the gravelord thinking he would give me a summoning stone. Turns out it doesn't work that way, and I don't have the patience right now to farm any more of the items that cause the curses.
As far as the forest hunter goes, as long as you are in human form and wearing the ring, you get summoned a lot.

Also, my characters are only around sl30 and I've never been invaded even though I spend a lot of time in human form. I also have never seen a vagrant, but I think thats just because people don't drop their worthless loot. I drop tons and tons of it, so I hope some of you are getting them.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Zebrasectomy posted:

Good to hear about the boss soul drops!

By the way, am I ever going to be able to sell gear and if so, how far away am I from it ( Just beat the Moonlit Butterfly. )? I've picked up every single item since I've started and haven't dropped a single thing and now my inventory is a mess of moss and broken swords.

You don't get very many souls for your items, I don't even bother keeping items I won't ever use.I just drop them all over. If you are online you should start dropping gear in random places so people will get vagrants to kill and some humanity.

I've never seen one, but many people in this thread have fought strange crablike creatures where there should not be any which are probably item vagrants.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Are they difficult?
It seemed most people just thought they were an easy source of humanity that posted earlier.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Besides getting liquid humanity from killing enemies, have any of you noticed just getting it randomly? I've noticed getting it just running around not even fighting things. I've also had it randomly give it to me while waiting to help people with bosses I've already killed.

I assumed it was because of item vagrants since I drop so much stuff. But that is just my assumption.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

Hahahahha this game is great. I ran through the forest, chased by ghosts and NPC humans, ran to a great door, went through, then got smacked down by Sif. Who I thought was a much tinier wolf who also hosed me over.

I'm too weak for the garden. Is the valley of drakes or catacombs (once I get a divine weapon) next?

You don't need a divine weapon for the catacombs, it just makes it a little easier.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah, I see. Still, I'm level 24 and the guy above us said level 50 is what'll put it at easy, so I suppose not.

How much humanity are you guys seeing now? I've gotten about 10 humanity in 9 hours, half of which went to kindling bonfires. Now I'm at zero and have been for a while. Haven't been summoned more than once either.

I spent all my souls upgrading my Drake Sword and Winged Spear (got the Soul of the Moonlight Butterfly, I can upgrade the Winged Spear to a unique weapon with that eventually right?), so I'll try that later.

My first character was level 20's when I went through the catacombs, its not that bad. I actually think it is pretty cool Just find the necromancers and kill them quickly. They won't respawn and it will stop the skeletons near them from reassembling. There are about 5 or 6 necromancers throughout the combs. The first one, you basically can just run through all the skeletons to get to, he is at the first bonfire, the second one can be sniped across the gap pretty easily. After that you should have the hang of the place.

Also, at the very bottom is a pit filled with rolling spiked wheels, you can kill these pretty easy if you find the NPC Paladin Leeroy to summon, he'll do all the dirty work and help you with the black knight too, then he will help with the boss Pinwheel, but he is pretty easy solo. Paladin Leeroy rocks, since those wheels can kill VERY fast.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Vintersorg posted:

I have no idea what to do, pretty stuck. Those ghost town seemed to be a dead end once I finally got to (character)The curse guy on the roof. None of the levers work and I obtained every item for now. I think i've explored the forest, only killed the butterfly but between that area (there is a door with a light I cannot open) and the place with the Hydra, it seems there isn't anything there. Not sure where to go for the mushroom men.

Next up is Anor Lando, very cool city but... it's nuts, well, fighting two statues at once. I summoned a guy and we busted through but I got caught by those dark knight archers and than destroyed. :( Wish you could be summoned without humanity. Or... can you? :3: I forgot.

Where are these catacombs? Also where do I go to revive the firelink girl?

Remember when you first got to the firelink shrine, you went down some steps past the crow and got your rear end handed to you by a couple of skeletons? Keep going that way and you will head down into the catacombs. Kick the skeletons off the ledge, or just charge through to the first bonfire. It's not worth killing skeletons until you kill their necromancer.

edit:unless you have a divine weapon, then they die.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The heal miracle is good for healing somewhere safe to conserve flasks. It's too slow for normal combat.

The heal miracle is awesome for when you are a white phantom and the guy who summoned you doesn't know that he can heal you with his estus flask, but you can't heal yourself with yours.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I like how people spread rumors leading up to the release of this game. I was so worried about the curse frogs because I heard the curses stack. I've been farming them for the last hour or so, and have been cursed 7 or 8 times in my impatience and I'm still only at half health. Do they start stacking on the 10th or 20th curse?

I've made a pretty easy 37644 souls doing it though, but only ONE eye of death. seriously, the drop rate on these are way too low.
With all these souls, I'm going to buy a bunch of purging stones from the absolutinist in the bell tower! Take that you dumb frogs!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
^^^^^^^^Dont eat them.

keyframe posted:

Where do I need to farm to get large titanite chunks? I am trying to get a weapon upgraded to +10

Slimes in the depths, You'll get about two green shards for every large shard, which will take a weapon up to +10. I don't remember where I found chunks, but they are for going up past +10. They are really easy to farm with the combustion spell or a fire weapon

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Underwhelmed posted:

Thanks guys, I will not eat the delicious souls like so many hard-boiled eggs.

Zero should be enough. Sometimes I will get like 2 or 3 from one room clearing, and then not see any at all for 5 or 6 more. Typically every third time or so you will probably get one even with zero humanity. It can get tedious but since there is a bonfire right there and they die with like one fireball even with a level 1 flame, its no big deal.

What he said. I liked farming them because I could talk to my girlfriend while doing so,I don't even have to think.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I get cursed, and it says You are cursed! And then I insta die and leave a cute little statue of myself.

I haven't had it stack once.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Meme Emulator posted:

I forget where I found it (sens fortress maybe?) but theres a ring that boosts your item find from 100 to 300. I wouldnt grind for shards and poo poo until I find that

I have no idea what the number means but since the base is 100 im going to assume a 300 item find gets you items 3x as often.

I guess I need to go back and finish sens fortress then. That sounds awesome. I've been wasting my time on these frogs! Curse you curse frogs!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Where should I be dropping my sign's for co-op? I've been wanting to help some people out but no one is asking me to join. Should I be dropping them before tough areas or just at bonfires?

Also, I'm trying to decide between building up for the Fury sword or the Chaos blade . I've heard good things about later but so much about the former.

I drop them first at the entrance to the level near the bonfire, and then I bee line to the boss door and then drop it there, then I go back and clear out the level.

Last night someone got me near the door to the bonfire in the depths when I was on as my cleric. He hadn't even started the level yet, the door to the bonfire was still locked.He needed help killing the butchers, so we did. Then I took him through the whole depths showing him things and laying waste to everything, we found another guy and he summoned him (why do his summons work on the first try and mine never do?) and we then went and killed the boss on the first try. He hadn't even been able to kindle the bonfire yet in there! It was fun, I hope he enjoyed it. Although I suppose me being there might have ruined the fun of exploration.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 10, 2011

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

The.GreyWolf posted:

It doesn't. The curse frogs petrify you.

Yep, you can be at full health and then bam! You are a nice looking statue!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Shumagorath posted:

I'm already regretting spending one of my two twinkling titanite shards and 2000 souls on my Jagged Ghost Blade. It only scales E with strength but so far it hits harder than even a Zweihander.

I think the wiki is being seriously poisoned.

I think they are just trying to scare people, the first time I explored there I was cursed through the floor, they were underneath. I was soo terrified of losing even more HP I abandoned a ton of souls to go purge myself immediately.

Unless it's bugged on my character somehow. Has anyone here been cursed twice in a row and had it stack?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

sighnoceros posted:

Here's what the Future Press guide has to say about curse:

Reduce max HP by half, HP reduction takes effect up to 4 times, Your attacks hit Ghost enemies whilst cursed. 1st time: max HP reduces to 50%. 2nd time: max HP reduces to 25%. 3rd time: max HP reduces to 12.5%. 4th time: max HP reduces to 6%.

So... are you guys saying this is not actually the case? I have not been cursed because I went through New Londo with transient curses to get the Curse Resist Ring so I wouldn't have to deal with that bs. But if it's seriously just only ever 50% max HP I probably wouldn't mind.

I was cursed 7 or 8 times farming the frogs mainly because I became careless after I realized they didn't stack. I always had exactly 50% health when I respawned. It did not stack for me.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Spite posted:

I actually didn't find the curses that bad. Just run away from the basilisks' breath at all costs. Also you can trade a cracked red eye orb to Sparkly for purging stones. Or save up 3k and buy one from Oswald.

Oswald does have a limited supply, I just bought out his stock. I wonder if the stacking curses is between purging yourself. Maybe I will go get cursed again since I've cured my curse and see if I drop down to 25%.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Tarradax posted:

Joined Chaos Covenant by accident. Have a bunch of eggs on my head. Send help!

No, really, what the gently caress and how do I get rid of it?

You are in luck, because the infected guys right next to the bonfire in the demon place drop the vermifuge randomly.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
So I have laid my first curse in sens fortress and have been standing near it for 20 minutes. What if the people I've cursed decide to leave the fortress? Will my guy stop making stink fumes to let me know to stop waiting for them to invade?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

bobby2times posted:

so I joined the gravelord covenant and I've been trying to use my eyes of death, but everywhere I go the use item option is crossed off. I've also noticed my cracked red orbs are also like this. I'm able to lay orange and white signs down though. What the hell is going on?

You have to be in human form to use them.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I break them all out of habit. I've never found anything in them(except the ones with bodies you can see) but sometimes they hide items behind them. Look for orange guidance signs from other players, they usually point out the items.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Well, I've sat here at where I've put my curse for over an hour now. Did some laundry, vacuumed the house. No one's invaded. I put it right where the first cobra caster was, so it's not in very far... I guess I should have put it right at the entrance. I don't really feel like farming the eyes anymore and I used up the only one I found in 50k souls worth of frogs.

Is SL 35 too high for sens fortress to get invaded? I'm I just really bad at the game?

I think I'll go play my sunlight cleric and help people kill things!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Luminaflare posted:

So what's up with the grave lord covenant? I've set the evil eye's down and waited and waited and waited and nothing is happening.

Yeah, that was my experience too :( I even cleaned my house while waiting, hoping I'd at least come back and find myself at a bonfire to show that it worked and someone came and invaded me. But nothing :(

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

Are you supposed to use it or drop it?

You turn human, find a place in an area you would like to curse for other players and use it. You will be asked if you'd like to grief other players when you use it. Hit YES. Then your character will start emitting stink lines (maybe its just me) but you will not see anything on the floor.

Supposedly the people you have cursed will see the sign and be prompted to come kill you. So either hide it, or put it somewhere easily spotted if you want to fight.

I think you win some souls and another eye of death if you kill someone coming to kill you for cursing them.
But I haven't gotten anyone to bite yet, and the curse frogs take forever to drop, although I now have a ring that improves item discovery so I will probably spend a bunch of time killing frogs tonight or tomorrow.

I'm SL 35 with my gravelord character, what areas are people in around that level in case I need to find people close to my level to curse? I'm in Anor Londo right now, and I tried Sens Fortress with no luck.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

I just found Kirk. Before he could do anything a rat got a critical hit in and slaughtered me. :downs:

Speaking of Kirk, has anyone gotten any of his armor from killing him? I got his shield on one of my characters and was wishing I could farm him for the rest of his spikey set.

Aparantly it damages things when you roll into them. I want to make a character who kills everything by bowling over them. drat you Kirk for not respawning!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

How? Do you just drop the eye or do you use it? I'm considering throwing mine in the forest near the ghosts just to add to that extra special little "gently caress you".

You must have missed my response earlier. You use it.

Dear Watson posted:

You turn human, find a place in an area you would like to curse for other players and USE it. You will be asked if you'd like to grief other players when you use it. Hit YES. Then your character will start emitting stink lines (maybe its just me) but you will not see anything on the floor.

Supposedly the people you have cursed will see the sign and be prompted to come kill you. So either hide it, or put it somewhere easily spotted if you want to fight.

I think you win some souls and another eye of death if you kill someone coming to kill you for cursing them.
But I haven't gotten anyone to bite yet, and the curse frogs take forever to drop, although I now have a ring that improves item discovery so I will probably spend a bunch of time killing frogs tonight or tomorrow.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ixjuvin posted:

There is an NPC black phantom named Paladin Leeroy :haw:

He is a black phantom too? I had him help me with the catacomb boss and the skeleton wheels.

Also, you can use get a wheel to use as a shield. In case you didn't know.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Cyrai posted:

It's locked. Where do I get the key?

Unless I am mistaken, that key is on a corpse near the big gate in front of the chapel in the undead parish.I had to go back for it too, because I forgot to loot that and the halberd near it. Be careful when you walk in front of the chapel door, that baldur knight charges out of it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Ok, this thread is still moving fast.

Quick question on Anor londo boss fight. If I want cool armor, who do I have to kill first? The big guy or the little guy?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Phoix posted:

Kill the big guy first for the little guys armor and vice versa.

Thanks.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Another quick question about Anor Londo Can the onion guy help out in the fight after I have freed him and been rewarded by him, I can't seem to see his summon sign anywhere

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Spite posted:

Egg Vermifuges are from the serpents in the trees in the garden. The dudes in the ruins don't drop anything.

If you mean the infected in the demon ruins, they drop vermifuges too.
It was the first place I got one.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Someone on here a few days ago mentioned finding a hat that boosted item discovery but slowly depleted health while wearing it. Where is this located? Farming Eyes of death even with the ring takes an absurdly long time. I was able to raise over 100k souls from the curse frogs, yet only found 3 eyes while wearing the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I'm in tomb of the giants, I haven't seen anyone named patches yet. I just found a skull lantern and a lady who is worried about some hollowed knights. Is there a bonfire anywhere near?

• Locked thread