Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Gyoru posted:

Yeah, Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison. Dark Souls blew past 250,000 units in only 2-3 days.

Media Create puts Demons Souls first week sales at 40K, which of course does nothing to lessen the impressiveness of the first week Dark Souls sales. Supposedly the first week Dark Souls sales are very close to the lifetime sales of Demons Souls in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Lotish posted:

While I suppose this is true, it does make getting to different parts of the world less easy. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but unless someone knows if there's a teleporter or something it doesn't look like you can go rocking through the bog and step out to play in the lava caves, should that be your wont.

Fast travel is available between certain bonfires from what I have seen. Some areas do still require a bit of a trek to get to though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The Wise Teen posted:

Wait, bring it with you? You can't import a character from Demon's can you?

I think by bringing it into the game he means via your initial class choice since some of them get heavy armor.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Xeras posted:

:stare: Please tell me none of you who have played this did grinding like is going on in the IGN stream in this area.

There is absolutely no need to do what they are doing. I'm fairly certain they are doing it so they can get a certain unique weapon to make their lives a bit easier. You are going to shoot yourself when they get to that part because it is more boring than this farming.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield?

Yes, you get a unique weapon that requires a ton of strength to use. Because it requires such high stats, it's advised to just get it at the beginning of your NG+ where you can just decimate him easily.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Lenaway posted:

Was it the long ladder next to the river? Because I saw the same thing on VXDS210's stream when he dropped down to fight the hydra. I think it's because of the waterfall/running water.

No, it was a ladder in the Undead Parish.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Roguelike posted:

The whole thing just screams rumor. The original source, Esuteru, shows a screenshot of a character sheet with 99 for all stats and a level of 145. But you don't get to see the character sheet of players that invade you. So it's somebody claiming to be a developer and invading people? But they aren't player controlled they're npcs? And nobody streaming early ever saw hide nor hair of these guys?

Also the developers might have been more concerned with fixing all the crippling server bugs the game released with.

I think you can see character sheets of people who invaded you in the book of the guilty.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any clear way to check which covenant I am in? I mean, for one of the NPCs (the guy in the bell tower who handles the book of the guilty) it says "break covenant" instead of "join covenant", so I assume it is his, but he never said which one he was with, don't even remember ever signing on with him. Is there some default covenant you start in?

Doesn't it say on your stats page? I seem to recall seeing it listed there.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

InnercityGriot posted:

How do you kick or use a jumping attack in this game? It said left stick and R1/R2 in the tutorial by I can't get that poo poo to work. I'm playing on PS3.

Press up on the stick and R1 or R2 at the same time.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Also when I made my way back up to the Firelink to level up and such, the bonfire doesn't work because apparently the Firekeeper is dead. Some new loot also appeared including an Orb whose description says I can invade the world of the person who killed the Firekeeper, and of course it doesn't let me use it. Any idea what the hell is going on?

You can only do this in a certain area. Also, the rewards are worth it though so don't feel like you should have prevented this.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Can you post a pic of your blob head? I am having a tough time getting a mental image of this.

Spoilers of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxqU9HIIp9k

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Really? I had heard 30 somewhere. Maybe I should rethink my plan. Know how much it takes if you're 2-hand wielding it?

31 Strength if you are 2-handing. 2-handing gives you a 50% boost to strength when it comes to item requirements.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

So can the Pendant be obtained in the game or not? I still haven't decided between the Master Key or the Pendant yet for a starting gift. I'll go with the pendant if it can't be obtained elsewhere though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

Now, a more important question for those who have the game is whether or not the controls can be remapped. Because by default your standard attack will be l1/r1 on the ps3 and lb/rb on the 360. Which I would find obnoxious and want to rebind to lt/rt on the 360 since the bumpers always felt a little weird to me.

The controls are not remappable.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't know if you can have more than one covenant active at once, but I'm sure that at least a few directly conflict with eachother in what is required of you, so I doubt it's possible to have all of them active even if they do allow you to have more than one active at once, which they may not.

The stats page only has enough room to list one covenant, so I think it is a safe bet that you can only be in one at a time.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Talran posted:

I forget what is the closest to a clean slate for stats, but it's nice being within arms reach of any build starting with all 11's.

It depends entirely on what build you are going for, but Wanderer and Pyro will be the closest to a clean slate for most people since they have the most starting stats after adjusting for SL, and they start at a fairly low SL (3 for Wanderer, 1 for Pyro).

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Haha he just shot the cat what a dufus

And then immediately shut off the PS3 when he realized it was a NPC.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

Well I don't know how to cast that spell. It's in the "up" slot on my d pad as default but I can't cast it (unless I'm doing it wrong?) I really could use some help...

You need to equip the sorcery catalyst (should look like a staff) into one of your hands and then press R1/RB or L1/LB to activate it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I also experienced a glitch there of another kind. I got up in one of the towers behind the dragon and shot ONE ARROW at it, and it flew away. About 30 seconds later I heard its dying scream and got 10000 souls. This is bad because I know its tail had a secret weapon in it.

This particular glitch seems to be somewhat common as I've already read of it happening to multiple people.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Loofa08 posted:

I realllly wish I would have read this 2 loving minutes ago. What does the upgrade do anyway?

It makes them heal more.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

is there any way to hold more estus flasks? I feel like my mage had 10 but my bandit can only hold 5.

You have to use humanity to upgrade (kindle) a bonfire while you are human. That bonfire will then give you 10 flasks instead of 5 when you rest there. The bonfire in Firelink is already upgraded.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

Do kindled/upgraded bonfires stay upgraded? Like if I kindle then leave the game and load my guy back up later will that bonfire still be lit and upgraded?

Yes.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does this carry to NG+?

You can farm humanity somewhere, right?

I don't think it carries over. There are numerous spots to farm humanity. I've seen ones that give 1-3 humanity per 30 second run.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Should I get Force or Heal for my first miracle? Force is tempting because of the hollow crowd before the Bell Gargoyles, but Heal seems super valuable with Estus flasks being so limited..

Heal fires off so slowly that it won't be of any use to you during most fights. It still might be worth it to help you conserve flasks for a boss though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

I just killed the tutorial boss and when you go through the doors behind him walk straight and go to a ledge on your right and you will see a nest with two eggs. The crow (inside the egg i guess) asks for something soft and warm. This has got to be something you give it on New Game + since you've got nothing to give it. Ideas?

You can go back later.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Chaos341 posted:

I killed the armored boar but I didn't get its head for a helmet. Do you have to kill it a certain way to get it?

It's random. There's more to kill later on.

How the heck do you quickly descend a ladder?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Brightman posted:

So far my only big annoyance is when I run into an enemy that seems to be turtling behind his shield, usually a spear guy, and I have to figure out ways to make him attack so I can hope for an opening. Also bosses keep smashing me into dust, but that's what I paid for :v:

Kick them to break their guard (Up on the stick + R1). Better than waiting for him to attack.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.

1. Is rolling just nerfed or is it something I can speed up by leveling up now? If so what stat would would I want to boost to roll faster?
2. Why did I have 10 Esus flasks and now I have 5?
3. Why do vendors have 4 different prices for the same item on the right of the buy screen?

1. You need under 25% of your equip weight to get the fastest roll. Even so, it has less invincibility than in Demons Souls. If you want to roll faster, Endurance will raise your equip weight making it easier to gain a fast roll. Supposedly Dexterity grants you a very fast roll at a certain point. There is a ring that does the same thing too.
2. The first bonfire is pre-kindled. You need to do this yourself to other ones to make them give 10+ flasks.
3. It's showing the prices for items you can see. It isn't just for the one you have highlighted.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I think there's no longer a limit on how much you can carry, so a stockpile is totally pointless.

This is true, but you can still buy a box that gives you a stockpile at bonfires at some point.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Gary Dupre posted:

I must be stupid or I missed something, I keep seeing talk about a gargoyle in the Undead Parish, but I looked all around there without finding anything. Eventually wandered my way into a lower section of Undead Burg where a Capra Demon is slaughtering me. Any tips to help me proceed? Should I not be at this boss yet?

If you found the elevator back to Firelink Shrine, there are stairs right next to that elevator in the Undead Parish that lead to the Belfry Gargoyles fight.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Gary Dupre posted:

I don't remember an elevator, I took a stairway down through the dragon bridge and opened up some gates that led me back to Firelink Shrine. Where is the elevator in the Parish?

One floor below the dragon is a doorway that takes you underneath the bridge. If you proceed along the left side you should see a doorway that you need to take. The path is pretty straightforward from there.

UserMan posted:

Do (undead parish spoiler) fire keeper souls upgrade your esk flasks forever or just temporarily?

It's permanent.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Krinkle posted:

can anyone give me a hint what I'm supposed to do? I killed the taurus demon, I killed a pig, I got a mystery key, and..... ????? every staircase up or down ends in an unkillable dark knight and when I went the other way some ghosts slit my throat for me while taking zero damage even with transient curse. I'm soul level 12. where should I be?

You should be going down the staircase near the boar.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

Gonna have to ask again. I'm looking for somewhere to buy arrows, before ringing the first bell. The merchant in the undead burg is dead. Are there any other options?

No, you will have to find a merchant further into the game.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Chaos341 posted:

What do medals of sunlight do when you use them? I got them for beating the Gargoyles with the sunlight guy.

You use them to rank up the Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

What does the miracle trainer do if you give him 2000 souls? He asked for them, I went away to gather them and came back, and talking to him does not yield the prompt anymore. :( I wish there weren't so many ways to irretrievably gently caress up your game

He only asks for 200 souls, and he just gives some useless information if you give it to him.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Gary Dupre posted:

Thanks to evilalien's advice I backtracked and found my way around, managed to beat the Bell Gargoyles with the help of sun guy, but now I'm at a slight loss for what to do, the only path I can think of is the one I mentioned earlier with the Capra Demon. But I just get cleaved to death in 2 seconds against it, I'm at a loss here. My soul level is 18, using Drake Sword as my main weapon, any suggestions?

Did you find the Blacksmith in the Parish? Right after you get off of the shortcut elevator, you just go straight until you hear him below you. The entrance to the forest is right near him if you want to explore there. Other than that, your other real option is the Capra Demon.

Reive posted:

Speaking of which anyone know a quick way to get some humanity? I need that dude's help badly.

Get summoned and help somebody else take out a boss. Or just go murder a bunch of rats (they can drop it).

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Krinkle posted:

the guy shooting at me made me miss the ups and downs in that side, thank you.

Side note: why can't I double up on heal since I have attunement slots? do I have to buy a second heal?

Yeah, you need as many copies of the spell as you want to equip.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Does anybody know where the key is to free the NPC near the (early boss) Capra Demon.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Who can upgrade Pyromancer catalysts? Barring that, where can I find one that isn't the starting "Pyromancy Flame"? Finding out that the starting catalyst doesn't scale damage with your intelligence stat was a bummer.

You need to find the Pyromancer NPC and he will upgrade your Pyromancy Flame. He is near the second butcher in the Depths area past the locked door that you need the key from the Capra Demon to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

qbert posted:

I've been flipping through the strategy guide, and certain items in the game are listed as only attainable via "Ascension". Can someone explain to me what that is?

It's something you do with Blacksmiths. It's essentially just picking an upgrade path for your weapon. For example after you take a weapon to +5, you can keep it on the normal upgrade path or "ascend" it to the fire upgrade path.

• Locked thread