Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
Jetpack Postman, just got home today after a night out,two hand the sword and R2 it, it'll do that awesome gravity aura. So much win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

That cuts it, Strength build for-loving-life. I'm hoping the aura is quick enough to troll dudes in PvP. Backstabs? Not anymore!

It's a lot shorter in duration, about 10 seconds I think, but still seems to be just as effective, so need to test this out on players. it's just enough time to pop an aura and turn that rolling maniac into a lead booted pincushion.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also some weapons do different damage types depending on which attack animation you are using. There are three types (that I know of), blunt, piercing, and "basic", which I guess means slashing. Swords for example, their heavy attack is a piercing attack (a thrust, that is) but the light attacks are basic. In general you can guess which type enemies are vulnerable to by looking at them, piercing doesn't work well on skeletons.

This is the reason to keep damage types on you upgraded. As a primary spear user it wasn't fun fighting them. And the normal ones don't even drop souls!!! But I throw on my heavy (spiked) club and they drop like flies.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some level of heavy armor (I don't understand what yet) causes your animations to not be interrupted by enemy attacks, so that is a big boon for heavy armor. However, I'm still going with light myself, especially since, like in Demon's, the black leather armor gives you all kinds of status effect resistances.

edit: also the general idea that if you are getting hit over and over again to the point where heavy armor is making a big difference, it probably means that you are doing something fundamentally wrong and need to improve.

While entirely true for Demons Souls, I haven't yet found many places here where I've needed much more than a hard shield and heavy armor aside my spear. But my god, you still need good timing. I still love my thiefy armor though! And I tend to swap styles when I get bored, the only thing I haven't really tried yet is main-spell casting, but that'll have to be a different character! :3:

dexplosivo posted:

I've seen some of that in the fighting environments as well. It might've just been the area the streamer was in, but he was severely hampered with no place to roll - either in close quarters or up on catwalks with no where to go.

Tighter quarters for many encounters, so you can't just blindly roll/counter spam some of the bosses/enemies. I seemed that everyone was a tumbling machine in Demons Souls, not so much anymore. And with my 20ish Endurance I have to be naked with a shield just aboutto get the fastest roll, but that roll is wicked quick compared to the Demons Souls one.

Talran fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 28, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Holy poo poo.....
I just found theUndead skeleton smithy! So badass! He makes so farflame element weapons! :iamafag:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ErIog posted:

Hey, yeah, no you're completely wrong. I thought my previous posts in this and the last thread would have made it clear, but I've already rang the first bell. So literally the only new areas I have to go to are the ones you're saying are the wrong way, that can't be the wrong way because there's nowhere else to go.

I'mma spoil the hell outta you.Stop going into the town, use that shortcut you opened up from the dragon valley to walk across into the Ill village. From there you'll take a few sets of ladders down, you'll come across an elevator/belt bit, hop on, and ride it down (the one with the platforms so you don't just fall to death). Once down put your back to that wall. There? Good, cut left. Keep going a small ways and you'll notice a sewer-like tunnel, go in. Bonfire there. In this entire area, mind the poison, and deadly poison.If you were to go the other way when you got down from the elevator you'd hit Kuelag. Fair warning, she's a bitch if you've no backup.

Edit: Oh, and, Watch out for the necromancers in the boneyard, no bell down there, but it leads to the giant graveyard. Necros usually hide a bit further in than the skeletons they revive. Do suicide runs to find and kill them. Fastest way I found to get them if you don't have a human body.

Smelly posted:

All this Scraping Spear talk has made me realise.

I've gone through 2 NG+ and a NG++, the 2 NG+ I beat entirely in human form online.

Of all the times I've been invaded, I have NEVER encountered anyone using clouds or the Scraping Spear.

Guess I'm just lucky v:shobon:v

Cause they aren't as game breaking effective as you've been lead to believe. There are better ways to troll/kill someone :3

Talran fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 29, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ErIog posted:

I don't understand what you mean by dragon valley and ill village. I need more description than that. I'm playing the Japanese version. The Japanese wikis are not very helpful in this regard.

I am too, I just used approximate translation of the areas, so I'm not spewing moonrunes at you guys. :3:
Ah, I believe (don't shoot me if I type em wrong, or choose a bad kanji)飛竜の谷(Flying Dragon Valley) and 病む村(Ill village), if you unlocked the shortcut to dragon valley, it's to the right after you go down the elevator and staircase to 小ロンドイセキ. If you unlocked that shortcut that is. Otherwise..... You'd have to go to Dark Forest「黒い森の庭」, and Take that hidden-ish path you find when backtracking a little bit in before the sealed door to Forest Valley 「狭間の森」. Down there you'll find a non respawning black knight. just around him is a cave, it's got a bonfire, and leads to Flying Dragon Valley. Blitz through FDV, left at the intersection, and around the cliff. There's a shortcut to Small Rond Ruin 小ロンド遺跡 after you get a key from a bit inside Ill Village.

Edit: sorry, I'm not at home, and most of these are me trying frantically to remember stuff exactly as they were in game, I can hop on an IRC channel later if need be to help.

Talran fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 29, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ErIog posted:

That's a lot clearer. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. The ill village now that you've posted it in moonrunes sounds like a thing I was trying to get to based on the stuff I was reading on the Japanese wiki's. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this poo poo out. I've explored so much of the rest of the world.

No problem at all mate, I actually only went down FDV(Catchy!) on a whim cause I -really- didn't want to do小ろんど with curse/short curse or the Sewer with the Hungry Dragon「貪食ドラゴン」 again! x3

Metrohunter posted:

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this

You weren't the only one. :iamafag:

Talran fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 29, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, fog doors, just like usual. Also sitting down at a bonfire is basically like returning to the nexus, it instantly resets everything. What's funny though is that if you walk into a bonfire room with an enemy chasing you, it will stop chasing you and slooowly back out of the room.

Except Dark Knights, one chased me down and murdered me after I stood up from the bonfire.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

der juicen posted:

I'm just trying to find the easiest route, since I cannot use the block button, unless I can change it. Which I probably cannot. If anyone can point me to a fully programmable controller for the xb360, that'd be sweet.

Without blocking? Do a run/roll light sword style and two hand it (like a longsword). It's pretty effective, and you can swap and two hand a lighter spear for most stuff. With mid/heavy armor you can survive like that pretty well, it's how I farm areas since the strikes are quicker, but you have to know the enemies' patterns a good bit better. Are you just missing your index finger(or is it in a brace, ect.? if that's all I heard about some nifty controller mounted doohicky that mounts and sits near your thumb....(sorry if that's too personal)

efb;
And sorry, but it could be possible rolling the style I talked about above -depending- on how well you can move the joystick :3:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

What's the item used at 1:23:59 here?

http://www.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295696447

It causes him to warp somewhere else and changes his appearance to this blackish shade, and makes his enemies look different too

Dark Orbyou pick up and can use to revenge on someone who killed your flame maiden. Mine was killed last night, hadn't had a chance to revenge her yet. Now I know what to look for ;3

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

In the last thread someone posted about stuff related to the pygmy.

Namely about how if you don't make any covenants, you can recruit some monstrous allies. Watching this IGN stream, they had to join a covenant in order for that first guy to teach them miracles. So my question to the guy who figured out the no covenant thing is, were you still able to get spells?

Actually I made the same covenant, and broke it as soon as I could, gives you some monterous (like you said) NPCs to help on boss battles. Made Bell 2 so much easier.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

So uh, I preordered the collector's edition and I can't wait to play it (october 7th :argh:).

But are the multiplayer aspects of the game essential to have? I'm on a 360 and haven't bothered getting an Xbox Live gold account since hardly any of the games I play on it have interesting multiplayer and most of the players are dickbags anyway.

Should I get a gold account for the multiplayer features in Dark Souls? They sound pretty interesting while avoiding the whole "13-year old douchebag screaming homophobic insults at everyone" aspect.

You have to pay for gold to play the DS 'Multiplay'? I thought that was only for "X-Box Live" games?

Samurai Sanders posted:

My character is so clad in heavy armor right now (including the awesome metal boar helmet), the only thing that lets me remember that there is a person under there is her saying "ugh!" occasionally when hit.

My GOD it is going to be hard to keep track of this place. The world is loving huge and I have apparently only seen a fraction of it. I keep forgetting which areas are connected to which others.

edit: Jane Doe right now

My god, where are you? and did that drop from the giant armored boar?:stare:

ErIog posted:

So some of you may have remembered my big long spiel from the Demon's Souls thread about how 5-2 is the godess's gift to game design because it forces the player to do stupid poo poo based on them not being able to weight options properly when fearful of dying due to poison? Yeah, the equivalent area in Dark Souls is not so much like that. I hope this is cryptic enough to not need to spoiler tag.

Not so much like it, but oh so so delicious. I love how you actually -have- to run through it, or end up boggling "WTH where's the boss" Also, I didn't see or notice the entrance till the third time I was near her hive.! That and my god, this game branches out so much further than I thought it would.

Edit:Fell asleep early last night inSen's Fortress, my god, those boulders rolling by are unsettling :stare:

Talran fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 30, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Fizzil posted:

help me goons SPOILERS obviously:

i have reached the bell gargoyles, the messages left behind by people say i need lightning and humanity, i used up all my lightning with the first minotaur boss :v: also why the humanity? i'm not sure myself. either way its a very hard fight, but not impossible i think i'll need to be more careful

It's because You can summon the sun guy if you're in human form, and he'll help off tank the second one for ya, also save the lightning, it's more expensive than fire/magic weapon and I haven't found a place yet that don't run out of stock when I buy it. Also, you did the Ox guy wrong, you were supposed to blitz the ladder and do falling chops to his face for easy mode. :3:

Edit: Spelling, and oh god I want to go home and play nao, why work why?! Oh well, Elona time.

Talran fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 30, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Znorps! posted:

So ready to jump into this game. I'm on the fence right now as to whether I want to go with a lumber mountain of metal or a leather bound wanderer. Tuesday is gonna be a late night for me.

also heres my link if people are still clicking. http://goo.gl/qAwiP

Aside from gameplay I'm just really excited to see all the environments they've designed. Everything just looks so great and well detailed. And while I didn't get as far as I'd have liked in DeS I have a bit more experience than your average xboxer so I'm wondering how I'll fare against the Bro Phantoms on Live.

I imagine you'll (hopefully) be put on our server so we can properly tenderize your noobs. It's so fun! :iamafag:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

There won't be any cross-platform play, if that's what you're talking about.

drat, and I was hoping to help/hurt people. D:
Oh well, at least there's a substantial PS3 population already in Japan, and hopefully at least half the Americans will buy the PS3 version..

Darth Windu posted:

Is it confirmed that the Masterkey is the only one you can't get through regular play?

Confirmed so far that it's late enough at the very least to not have the advantages of it. But still not found.

If it was early enough, people would have it already. :x
Edit:

Smelly posted:

If the Masterkey is non-consumable and the only item you can't get through regular gameplay, it really is kind of a no brainer to pick as your gift.

I won't be picking a thief for it, I'll just take that as the one gift. I'm starting as a Knight; I mean, look at that armor. :swoon:

I didn't pick it, and didn't realize just how useful it would have been.... So picking it my second run through on a fresh character.

Talran fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 30, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

MMania posted:

Man this thread moves fast, people have sort of moved on from this but I'm one boss away from beating NG+ in Demon's Souls without using a shield. Blocking with weapons isn't worth the stamina loss so you're not missing out when you're two-handing.

It's not the traditional way of playing, and you will die a lot when you round a corner into a pack of enemies you didn't know was there, but it is fun as hell when it works. You can also stick to co-op, just hang back and let the guy with the shield take the first hit and circle around for a backstab. Everyone will just think you're a badass who doesn't need a shield.

Not to mention how badass you feel when you do it. That and if you stay untethered you can summon comp coops very easily.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

In a place full or horrible monsters that want to kill me. And yes.

poo poo, now I'm there. Anor Rand, goddamn gargoyles and statues

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ErIog posted:

The bigger problem is that you can't actually stop those flying insects. They just spawn infinitely which is really really lovely. I also believe those insects cause the slowdown in that area. There's no slowdown at all when they're not around, and if I'm backed into a corner facing only a wall the frame rate will tank with only 1 of them on screen. I think it's the motion blur shader on their wings causing it.
That seems to be it, I notice it as well.....

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

So ah, I'm stuck at the two knights(as in I ground 5 humanity into them with two partners each and died every time). I forget their names, but bloody hell, if you kill the big (easy to lightning to death) one the smaller one om nom noms on his corpse and becomes some sort of Zeus golem, trying the other way is like asking big guy to stop fighting who he is and sit on me and my other partner.
Real Dark Souls starts here.

Smelly posted:

Don't do it, that's like eating dessert before dinner, you won't have an appetite. :(

All jokes aside. Guys, tomorrow is the big day for all of us who don't have dirty little street date breaking stores around us. :neckbeard:

I've decided I'm rolling deprived, I think it'll be fun having to rely on finding some armor right out of the gate.

I rolled Deprived, and after you get set up it's just like every other character, but it's nice working up from the bottom. :3

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Smelly posted:

I think the main reason I'm doing it is just so I have even stats, it's as close to all 1's I can get.

Actually it'd be really neat if we could start a character at 1 with all 1 stats. The real Dark Souls starts here. :v:

Edit: I've got my next playthrough decided playing as a Belmont

I wonder how long it'll take before we start seeing no level, no repair runs and stuff.

I forget what is the closest to a clean slate for stats, but it's nice being within arms reach of any build starting with all 11's. And oh god, I can see no repair runs, perhaps no upgrade runs, but no level runs? I'm level 50 and I'm nothing to those two knights, even in my kick arse heavy armor, and there's one small one who won let me run around enough in light armor. Though I'm sure in the end it's possible, it's funny how un-possible it seems now :3

Also! Since people are getting into this soon. If you see Talran/tipo that's me.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Fizzil posted:

oh god goons help me out:

the boss in the undercity is extreme bullshit, the capra demon not only is in a very tight space, the dogs with him are very good at blocking your rolls making your space even tighter and they are very hard to kill with that demon shaving 90% of my HP even when i block with a shield
You should....Take out the dogs and hit the demon with a horizontal slashing weapon. Or upgrade a spear far enough. Then the demon is a simple matter of ledge jump attacking, or sniping with a bow, perhaps pull in a blue?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Leyburn posted:

Boss related spoilers: The demon himself is fairly simple to handle once he is on his own. Try to dispatch the dogs first. The easiest way of doing this is to use the stairs to lure them up, they'll get there a lot quicker than the demon.

Requesting some advice about an area near the start: Has anyone bothered going down the skeleton filled path at the start? My character is about level 40 just now and I had been working my way through Sen's Fortress and getting the hang of it. Was thinking of switching things up and going to explore the skeleton area. Is it worth doing? I thought that would be the path to the second bell, but I found that via a completely different path.

Also looking for some forest area advice: There is also the gate in the forest that I can buy a crest to gain entry to, for a rather pricey 20000 souls. So far I've had no indication that I need to go there, but I'd be tempted to lay down the souls for the crest after I've got another few levels under my belt.

Thanks folks.

The Skeleton Area: Do eet! Grab a holy club and roll with it. Nothing too horribly amazing right now, but worth running through to the boss. Also, a smithy there(from my avatar actually)

Forest Area:Go for it, it opens up an area with a boss and the forest hunters. The hunters, if you aren't in a pact with them, are good soul farms. Boss note:It's like Repede from Tales of Vesperia, only giant, and silver.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Has anyone who is playing early made it to the swordswolf yet? Is it as terrifying as I imagine? :ohdear:

Yes, yes it is. :stare:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Think I might ask for this for my birthday, that way it'll be a couple of weeks in and there will be a suitable amount of messages about the place to warn of incoming dangers.

There are already a suitable amount of messages everywhere. Don't worry, whenever you start there'll be messages warning (and trolling) you.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think this counts as a spoiler since it's just talking about a feature from Demon's that makes an appearance here as well, but just in case...

You know how at the end of 3-1, you beat the boss and monsters come and carry you away to another place? That happens in Dark Souls too. Except that you can't get back, since there's no nexus to teleport to And then from there it's possible to wander into another place inside THERE that you can't get back from either. I'm two layers deep in poo poo now...

You can get back, Go and talk to them if you're talking about the gargoyles. :3: Where are you anyway, stuck at two knights with me?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Their weapons are dipped in poison. The gauges show your resistance to poison, plague and such. If you get hit enough times that it fills up then you get whatever status effect the weapon has on it.

If anyone is worried about the sticker residue on their case, remember the case is (albeit cheap) metal. Use formula 409 or a tile cleaner to get the stuff off instead of goo gone, it will take a few more minutes to let it sit but not leave any extra sheen/oil/whatever on it.

No no, It's bleeding, though with skeletons you usually wont get that far, you'll kill them or die first. Poison is noticeably more......effective.The bloodsplat is bleeding, light drop is poison, dark is -deadly- poison, and a skull means quit loving with the cursed frogs or you'll die and be cursed and have to pay a few (4-8?)k souls to have it fixed. :smug:

Edit:

Loofa08 posted:

This games trash mobs are definitely tougher. I have the hardest time with the simplest of enemies. Question regarding the area right after the first non tutorial boss. So I killed that boar, and I was able to get up to the other side of that gate and hit the switch thinking and seeing that it was opening and giving me a "HOORAY!" Checkpoint...then I died horribly. When I came back, to my surprise the boar was dead but the gate was closed. I spent the next 2 hours trying to get back to it. I got incredibly lucky my first time through apparently because these assholes with the capes are loving me up hardcore. Am I missing something? Shouldn't that gate be open? Also, is there an easier way to kill these guys with capes?

The guys are closing the gate on you. Ask Sanders he figured it out (in the thread) first. :3:

Talran fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 4, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Sumadartson posted:

The bad news is also good news. Congrats From!

I'm really hoping I get my copy I ordered then, I ordered before the 'limited availability' x3

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Alectai posted:

So, report from the front, I have the XBox 360 version...

I'm not sure I remember Demons Souls being this... Well, Unfair, I've had a lot of deaths that happen because I try to roll out of the way, and for some reason my guy attacks instead, or walks into the path of the oncoming attack. The Taurus Demon was basically impossible to melee because his upward attack came faster then I could dodge, and he has enough tracking with it to catch you even in a last-minute dodge inside his attack range. I couldn't kill him until I stocked up on Firebombs and just cheesed through him with those.

And now I'm at the god drat Dragon Bridge, and I'm basically stuck, as far as I can tell, there's no way across the bridge until the midway point, and I always take at least one hit on the way up, which knocks me down and almost kills me--often does, as he just attacks again by the time I get back up on my feet.

I do appreciate the increased challenge, and I suppose I had it coming by starting as a Deprived, but Jesus Christ
You need to:
Roll faster, or stop rolling, it only works for light characters on him.
You could always do it the right way, and jump attack him. They practically give that one to you. Hell, there's even a ladder.
Just run, if you block you'll take the second hit and get insta-killed at anywhere near starting stats.

Edit:

DeathSandwich posted:

Seriously though, is there any way to get back into the parish after you do this or do I just have to go do another area?

Yes there is Down the stairs I believe leads back into/around it

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Future Press just posted another scan, this time from their weapons page! Not as spoilery I think so there's the image. Ignore it if you still wanna roll blind otherwise it's free information!

I actually just got off the phone with amazon rep because my game is still pending (the trade-in) and I wasn't sure if I was going to get the $5 bonus. Well, Cust Service was just like "well since we don't see the promo anymore and that your game is still pending... here's $10 off your next purchase!"

Hope that future press guide comes back because I just got $10 off of it :dance:
Gripe: Ghost knife from my experience has acted like a sword, might just be me though, but it is kinda in between(kinda large, but not quite short/longsword I believe)

Also, I just talked to em, if you ordered before it went to limited you should be getting it.

Nigulus Rex posted:

So I lit a bonfire an went into the undeadburg area (at least that's where I think), and when I died it took me the whole way back to the beginning right after the aslyum. Any reason it did that?
You need to sit down at it, activating and setting are two different actions :3
efb;

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

QQmore posted:

Is there any difference/advantage/penalty to being Hallow? Aside from not being invaded?

You can't summon. And that's drat important.

vvvvThat too, but I don't think my Ancient Dragon as long as I bring him back scales

Talran fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 4, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ireladd posted:

Interesting! I had been so nervous to actually let any of those bars completely fill, which meant having it out for about one second, trying a swipe to see its effectiveness then immediately switching back to my other right hand weapon. I feel better now. :)

Wait, now they -fill- to be well? In the JP version, mine would empty....

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Leyburn posted:

I just taught the Iron Golem a loving lesson.

Wow, this game world really is loving gorgeous, and it's size, scope and detail are just stunning.

God, you guys move fast, took me a week to get to and beat him.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Nechronic posted:

Has anyone been using Iron Skin? I'm hoping to make a heavy armor/high str build that uses it, proabably combined with some electric resistant armor to offset the spell's weakness, sacrificing all of my mobility to be a juggernaut.

I've only just gotten into the Berg Depths though so I have yet to see the spell in action.

Works pretty well if you know how to use it, even using light armor and popping it damage to me turns into chips

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

I have seen one, or at least what I assume was one, in an early stage. It was not a phantom yet, but there was an item (blood red moss) sitting on the ground underneath the dragon bridge. It was not dropped by an enemy, and it appeared as a rotating bag. I didn't drop it (I hadn't collected any yet and in any case have no idea how to drop items), so it had to have come from someone else. It's a shame I picked it up instead of letting it continue its journey, but there was no way to tell what it was until I did, and it might have been something good, dammit.

In fact, I think that's a major flaw with the vagrant system. It's super awesome in concept, but in reality if you see an item sitting on the ground, and especially if you can't tell what it is without picking it up, you're going to pick it up.

Assuming you notice it....

And Darthy,
I've been invaded countless times and I've done reverse summoning for dragons scales a ton. To people in Japan. I summon two players (not NPC) for each boss I've fought the past week. Same JP chaps. I'm pretty sure there's something more to it :x

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Leyburn posted:

I bought mine off him. Sounds like you've hosed yourself, hahahahaha. :)

Did you get anything off the crow?

I think you get a chunk of sphene for it :3:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

So, I ah, got my english version CE, my god the box is beautiful, and it's too bad I can't carry my characters over, not that it matters. :3:

Malachite posted:

Are there any pyromancy catalysts besides the beginner one? I just realized that intelligence doesn't affect fire spells and I've been wasting souls on it. Luckily I'm only a few bosses in and I haven't raised it past 20 yet but I'm feeling like a complete retard right now. Maybe its time to take up sorcery instead?

You can ascend it to a new one.

Talran fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 6, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

softcorps posted:

I honestly think the Capra Demon is one of those places they really didn't think things through. Boss with fast, sweeping attacks in a very confined area, fine. But the dogs are bullshit, especially with the one second you get to react before you're pretty much slaughtered. There's just too much luck involved in this encounter -- all it takes is one of the dogs to nip you, then the boss suddenly has two swords in your back. It doesn't help that your camera is also bouncing off the walls in that small space.

That's the game's way of telling you to level up or summon someone.

softcorps posted:

Walk into a new room/tower and get one-shotted by some rear end with a mace-tipped sword? I'm okay with that. Turns out he takes 20+ backstabs with a +5 shortsword, and messing up once means being one-shot killed even with a shield up? I'm okay with that.

Different weapon/damage type would have done much better likely...But toughing things out with a low level sword are what this game's about :3:

softcorps posted:

-Upgrading your weapon is more helpful than you might think. I've been using a shortsword, and I'd guesstimate at +5 I did about twice the damage as I did with the base sword.

-You can farm 700 souls fairly easily, along with mosses that stop bleeding and poison in the forested area after the first blacksmith guy.

Addendum:
-Upgrade something to +5 then hop onto an elemental tier for your first, or jump to raw. It's so worth it. Raw tends to even out stat bonuses, which is good if you don't focus.

-Farm 700 a time up to 20k and buy the seal from the smith. Soul farming city. The signs on the ground will help.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

what the gently caress is the point of that gate if it loving closes when you die

:[ hopefully i can get to it, i have like 4k souls and 5 humanity :[

Next time you open it and need to use it, just make a run for it, you'll make it before the rear end in a top hat who closes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

Wait, so the conveyor belt isn't leading me to the bell? Where am I supposed to be going then?

Also, gently caress those fat things forever and ever. How do you even poison a club in the first place?

Nope, the bell is down there, but the conveyor does actually lead back up to Small rondo ruin right by the Ritual bonfire spot....

Also, you can get one of them poison clubs. :3:

Vanguard Warden posted:

Protip for the undead parish; when those rapier knights hold their rapier up and in front of them, they will automatically parry any attack you hit them with and probably one-shot riposte you. However, they can't parry a leaping heavy attack. Enjoy.

Also, you should probably always go through the forest before you hit up blighttown. That place is poison/toxic central, and the tree-dudes in the forest drop curing items.

They never riposte my two-hand lunge, I think if the attack is too heavy they can't parry (as we can't)

• Locked thread