Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Just finished this game for the first time a couple days ago. I was flying through the game after getting stuck on Four Kings for a week when I came upon Izalith. At first I was confused why Izalith was so empty and long then I realized that this is probably the last place most folks go to before beating the game and the designers probably designed it to be empty and long on purpose because it's :darksouls:

I mean, what other game would it make sense in, "Oh, you're almost done? Hope you like walking!"

Made me smile.

Then I started in on New Game+ and wandered around the cat covenant area getting obliterated. Just one completion isn't enough to compete with those badasses I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Read posted:

You've been disconnected from the master of the world.

:darksouls:

The first few times this happened to me I thought my connection was bad. Then i realized all the phantoms I summoned were with me for ages and it suddenly dawned on me why they disconnected. It was a :v: moment...

Had a great PVP person troll me hard yesterday. Was in the middle of my second run through and made it to Anor Londo. Got invaded around the area where you run up the buttress to the series of ceiling beams above the chandelier. Had a phantom with me.

We get to the platform and I begin to turn it. He backstabs and kills my phantom, backstabs and kills me, throws switch to move the platform back to where it was.

Was so pissed. Well done, well done.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Had a ton of fun leveling in the Cat area today. Got to kill the Wolf about 7 times as well as a variety of invaders and bad things. Trying to get a build ready. I think i'm going to try out 30 Vit 30 End 50 Str 30 Dex 30 Faith.

It seems as though I want to try and use the Grant and maybe through in some Wrath of the Gods...only, i'll have to beat the game so I can not kill her this time.

Who knew killing the first miracles guy would mean she'd try and kill me later?

Has anyone run into a drifting item yet? http://youtu.be/6IKxEUEuY7g

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

numerrik posted:

Yeah, I am currently sl 5 and stuck on one point in the undead burg just past the archer in the spiral tower just past the first bonfire. I think I need to learn how to pull those spear guys away one at a time.

The spear guys destroyed me when I first ran into them. I used a sword to knock their shields back. When I was impatient, I used firebombs.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah, my main disappointment with Dark Souls is that the areas post-Lordvessel are all kinda short and weakly designed in comparison with the rest of the game. The difficulty in Demon Ruins, Izalith, Ash Lake, etc. seems to be more 'HAHAHAHA GOTCHA BITCH' than the gradual and fair development the rest of the game has.

See, I don't know. By that point in the game, there isn't really anything else they could throw at you that you aren't used to. I liked their progression of gimmicks in that the game slowly pushes you to do Dukes Archives > Catacombs > Izalith.

By the time you get to Izalith you're almost unstoppable so all that the designers could do is offer a really pain in the rear end zone filled with enough of a gap between things that you're almost guaranteed to be invaded if you want to bring friends.

Hate the tree boss but again, I think by that time the game is trying to throw actual people at you.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

The Duke posted:

Sen's Fortress is one of the best designed levels in any game, in my opinion.

I really loved the feeling I had when it opened for the first time. The whole time through felt like some sort of maddening Prince of Persia where I kept getting lightning fired at me.

Meowjesty posted:

Ash Lake is an amazing zone. The only real problem with it is that they don't do anything with it. There's a mini-boss, some items, a borked covenant, and a character story conclusion. There's no real reason to ever go down there which is a drat shame.

Imagine if the Hydra had been a completely optional actual boss!

e: An actual dragon.

I wish more people were part of the Dragon Covenant. I want to fight over dragon scales.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

So I have been enjoying my character but I feel like he's a bit all over the place. The stuff I wear as I wander around PVE getting back to the Kiln to PVP is:

I was curious about what i'm doing wrong with my poor character:

http://tinyurl.com/7vp3bz7

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Read posted:

For PvP: Spread out too thin, needs more VIT and more END (40, can raise if you want better rolls in heavy gear). A more min-maxy STR/FTH might look like this, though it's more typical for a STR/INT or STR/FTH to go for Hornet Ring + Flip + High Poise (Probably full giants + father mask or havel legs/gloves) and get 1HKO backstabs.

For PvE: Looks fine to me, I'd get more VIT because you'll start to need it as you get into NG++ and on but other than that it looks like a pretty good build, not much you can do wrong for PvE other than pumping RES.

Thanks for this. I had noticed I didn't have enough VIT for PVP. With light armor I get one-shotted too easily. I am about 3/4 of the way done with NG++. I hadn't really wanted to start the game again but I didn't get a bunch of NPC's and so I ended up killing them all in a rage.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Cervixalot posted:

I just got someone accusing me of Boxing the equipment to my level 1, and refused to believe that I could be a level 1 darkwraith. He also challenged me to a duel in Anor Londo on our mains because apparently I am a noob human being (his words) or something.

I always enjoy this line of reasoning. I mean, when don't insults work in the midst of accusations? Good job, that other guy! Good job.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Tried out the Box glitch and decided to level a new character. I think Kanye West is only going to emit force.

He ran around in Anor Londo today trying to smash people. It didn't work out too well, I guess. I think I really just wanted to do flips in Havels Armor!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Have been enjoying the Bottomless Box glitch. Made a Darkwraith character named James Bond who uses Spells/Pyromancy. He wanders around with a Ring of Fog on and casts chameleon. If found, he will cast Wrath of the Gods and Chaos Firestorm until something is dead.

It's worked out pretty well so far.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

EC posted:

I've killed three invaders in the last hour while in the Archives, using the same tactics. Drop a sunlight medal outside of the balcony with the bonfire, use chameleon and put myself behind the pillars on the right (same side as the shortcut). Invariably the invader will run to the bonfire but stop and pick up the item, leaving me plenty of time to hit the dude with a CSS. Two times they were dead in one hit, the third time the dude tried to run away and I managed to catch up with him and backstab when he tried to use a Humanity.

God I love this game.

Now I have to just swing around wildly when I see an item on the ground!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

I went and did a couple google searches but I didn't see anything. Has anyone tried to upgrade all campfires to full with secret rites and then unite the flames? Or rather, "do what Petrus and company were trying to do."

I wonder about a third ending.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Ending spoilers:
You do what Gwyn originally set out to do and use your soul to link the fires. This restores the Age of Fire or something like that, which is a good thing(?) for people in the world of the living since it means they can stop sacrificing people to become undead in the hopes that one of them will do what you did. It also lifts a curse on the undead and allows them to die normally, and it allows the Gods to have power in the world or something like that as well, though eventually the power of your soul will fade and another undead will need to go link the fires again. Yeah, it's kind of vague and unsatisfying.

There's actually another ending you can get by leaving the area without touching the bonfire.

I think it's interesting that the Gwyn you fight is essentially hollow and you just did what he did so...you become the new Gwyn. I wish they had sort of left that enemy to constantly change to whatever the last person had on.

I still really wonder about using the secret rite on every single campfire and uniting the flames

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

Alright I'm stuck again - how do you kill Lautrec when you invade his world? I reckon if I could get him alone it'd be cake but I can't dodge him plus two other dudes while trying to stab him.

I just hit one of them with a few arrows and grab a hammer and wait for them to all gather together. I then stun lock them all to death at once. Sometimes this doesn't work but you just need to keep on spinning and hope for the best.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

ARACHNOTRON posted:

If you purchase all her miracles after she re-appears, without going and defeating a boss or two (which is what causes Petrus to kill her), she just leaves (and later becomes hollow in a cell in the Duke's Archives).

I thought that the general belief was that she got snatched by the trident guys and placed in a cell like Logan did/does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Was running through Duke's Archives last night and decided to finally try and get Avelyn as I have been avoiding it for ages (through fear).

This was the result: http://youtu.be/ZiJeAUwCCL0

• Locked thread