Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I know there's a Demon Souls topic but there's probably more people here so I'll ask too: I've beaten 1-1, 1-2 and I'm working on the first part of Tower Of Latria to get the spell npc dude. I started as royalty for the mp regen ring and so far I've just been using souls to raise magic attack..probably going for a pure magic character but is there any equipment I should be looking out for? Most of what I've found is too heavy for me or seems more physical oriented..I haven't changed any of my gear at all. I just upgraded my buckler to +1 and I have a cling ring I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I'm always kind of excited for GS reviews because I like to be THAT GUY and predict how they'll underscore a game I like. Its kind of a game to me that I don't take that seriously anymore since GS doesn't decide purchases for me, but I like being pleasantly surprised and "losing" the game. I'm predicting an 8.0 from them.

Anyways, I'm still playing DeS, spent a while farming latria (3-1?) and overall I really enjoy the stage a lot. Part 2 scared the poo poo out of me because of heights+atmosphere and I'd always read a hint that would say "BEHIND YOU" and I'd turn to see nothing then I'd look away and there would be a gargoyle or man centipede :(. I'm kind of dreading finishing Latria because it has my favorite atmosphere out of all the places I've tried so far. I did a little bit of VoD and it looks like its going to be a huge pain in the rear end, I hate poo poo like poison but thankfully I have really high magic that smokes stuff pretty fast.

I don't wanna sound like THAT GUY again..but does anyone think that DeS' difficulty is kind of overstated in reviews? It is most definitely hard but once you get use to the game and figure out the ropes you'll die a lot less. Yeah, I got creamed by silver skeletons all of yesterday but they're assholes. The game can be harsh but its not unfair at all. Yeah, if you die you start over but you keep keys and items you found and event switches stay activated and to me those are the game's equivalent to "checkpoints".

Haven't beat the game yet and I've heard new game+ is a lot harder but that's as far as a lot of reviewers go. I suck at games pretty badly but find myself scratching my head at reviewers who bashed DeS for its "impossible" difficulty (like Yahtzee). Really excited for Dark Souls, I really hope the world's are more varied and that there's more difficulty (which I've heard it does have, I've avoided streams). Got it on pre-order :).

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 30, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Polite Tim posted:

3-2 was great because the shortcut to the boss involved fighting a black phantom on a stupidly small ledge, and it really tested your skill (though rolling as a dex pumped thief let me arrow the oval office before he could shoot off any paralyzing magic) Plus i'm sure i haven't fully explored 3-2 or 5-2 simply because it's too scary. X-3 aren't really proper levels, with the exception of the Boletarian palace, especially with 3-3 being one staircase and a boss. What i'm reading about Dark Souls is sounding like every area is fleshed out properly and there are fewer short areas

Yeah, I'm really excited for Dark Souls because it will no doubt have a lot more level variety. I really liked the youtube vids I saw of the golden looking castle roof, reminded me of a cleaner Latria sort of. Someone compared it to Draknengard and I agree, but that's what I liked about it.

If Dark Souls can give me more monsters and more cool places to explore I'll be satisfied. Hopefully the combat is pretty much the same, with some tweaks, because in my opinion DeS has perfect combat. It all feels right.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

How is the character appearance customization this time? Can I give my guy a beard without him look liking some transvestite potato face horror?

I really hope they don't "fix" DeS' character creator but merely add more options. I made the ugliest character possible with tiny eyes, a sphincter for a mouth and a huge mosquito nose. I wish mmos had DeS' character creation options.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think you need to worry about not being able to make monstrosities.

Easily the best character creation ever, move over Skyrim. Wow. There is no way this game can disappoint now.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Leyburn posted:

It looks horrific, and I don't think I can equip headgear anymore... http://tinypic.com/r/k9aurr/7

I want to go chaos for this thing so badly. Are you really not allowed to equip head gear anymore if you get it?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I know this has been asked before probably, but I'm playing DeS and want to beat it before getting into Dark Souls. I'm making decent progress, really enjoying the game a lot but is Dark Souls bigger in terms of world variety? DeS has a lot to do but I wish there were more places to explore. Latria is my favorite location by far, Shrine is neat too but I really don't care much for the castle and Moria 2.0. I don't hate them, I've just put those two worlds on the back burner because I like the other locations more, even if they're harder.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

If amazon is preparing to ship how long is it til they usually ship the item? It says Preparing to ship but my estimated shipping date is still October 5th.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I'm trying to ask as few questions here as possible, since my copy hasn't arrived yet and I just beat Demon's Souls but are the load times better in this one? To me that was the worst part about dying, I always hated being greeted by a 20 second load screen. I can deal with it though, far from a deal breaker.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Just started playing today, I want a little bit of guidance but don't want to resort to spoilers on the wiki and gamefaqs' forum is terrible. I picked sorcerer, figuring that the classes were like Demon Souls and were just starting templates I could tailor to my needs. I'm pretty sure I want to go hybrid, even though I picked sorcerer instead of pyromancer and I don't want to go through creating my awesomely ugly guy again..so what stats should I focus on early on? I'm kind of confused with how spells scale since there's no magic stat anymore. I guess putting points into endurance early on would be a good idea if this game is anything like Demon's Souls.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

Beat the game again (different character, not NG+) with my Sorceror, first run through was as a Knight. It's really interesting to see the difference in play style. Some bosses are really easy for the Knight (4 Kings, Sif, Nito, Capra) because you can either just ignore their pathetic attacks and blitz them down with a huge sword or block everything they do with a giant shield. Other bosses are super easy for the Sorceror (S+O, Butterfly, Seath) because you can just dodge everything they do and blow them away at range.

Conversely, bosses like S+O or Seath can be quite difficult for a Knight since just tanking their damage isn't a real option (I spammed about 5 curse removal items to kill Seath on my Knight), while bosses like Capra Demon/Gargoyles/Nito are really tough for the Sorceror since there's always something right up in your grill. And let's not talk about Priscilla as a caster, thank God I had the materials to upgrade Velka's Rapier to +4 with me or else I don't know what I would have done.

Also, having seen a lot of the equipment in the game, I have a sneaking suspicion the ideal *solo* build would be a hybrid built around the Greatsword of Artorias(either version). 30ish Str, 20ish Dex, 20 Int, 20 Faith, lots of End/Vit/Res and a bit of Attunment. You'd take that, and then the Talismans/Catalysts that have static Magic Adjust (Oolacile Ivory Catalyst and Thorolund Talisman) and some good baseline spells (Great Soul Arrow/Great Heavy Soul Arrow, Homing Soul Mass, Replenishment, Karmic Justice) as well as some good utility spells (Repair, Hush, Resist Curse, Remedy, Heal, Homeward). Those are all usable at 20 Int/Faith, and are actually quite powerful with those static Magic Adjust items. The Greatsword of Artorias is just a really solid, all around weapon, that does a ton of damage (of multiple kinds), works well 1H or 2H, and even comes in a pre-cursed version for all your New Londo needs. Package all of that with two sets of armor, one lightweight (probably Gold-Hemmed Black + one of the Crest Shields) and one heavyweight (Havel's, Smough's, Black Iron combined with the biggest shield your Str will allow), and you will be good to go. If a boss is weak to sitting back and plinking away with spells, you equip your caster rings, your light set, and blast away with Soul Arrows and Soulmasses. If it's weak to just getting up in it's face, you throw on your heavy armor, the appropriate defensive/utility rings, and go to town with your big rear end sword, while Replenishment and Karmic Justice keep you topped off and safe from one shot grabs.

That's really good, I enjoy making casters but I was a bit distraught at how utterly overpowered magic was in Demon's Souls. It made me feel bad at times because I still struggled with certain worlds (gently caress YOU 4-2) but I was playing on "EZ mode" which made me a worse person somehow. I like being a caster and enjoying advantages in certain scenarios and fights while still having to utilize strategy and stuff.

That said, I'm really not sure if I want to just keep going with my sorcerer or go make a pyromancer. From what I've read on the wiki pyromancy looks absolutely superior to sorcery in every way because it does good damage (according to folks) and you don't have to sacrifice any points in INT so it'll be easier to be a hybrid/someone who supplements melee with magic.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

It's the giant leeches you want. Starting from the bonfire, go straight out of the cave, cross the swamp to the far wall, and start going around it to the left, eventually circling back to the bonfire. You'll hit several groups of them. Magic damage is ideal I believe, but everything works.

Pyromancy is definitely the way to go if you want to be able to swing big weapons and wear heavy armor and also use magic. If you wanted to do that with Sorcery you'd have to do some weird hybrid build like I posted earlier. Pyromancy just works right out the gate, and also has some really good buffs that synergize perfectly with being in melee. Sorcery however, works quite nicely with a Dex/Int build aimed at using Thrusting Swords, Spears, and Daggers with the Magic upgrade line (+5->Magic+5->Magic+10 OR Enchanted+5). There's also some nice unique's that scale really well of Int: Velka's Rapier, the Moonlight Butterfly Horn, the Moonlight Greatsword, and the Channeler's Trident. Conveniently, they all work well with Dex, and scale excellently off of Int.

So basically if you want to be a giant axe swinging, fire slinging madman, go Pyromancy and focus on Str/End/Vit. If you want to be a refined magical duelist, go Sorcery and focus on Dex/Int/End. Grab some Attunment and Resistance with both and you are good to go.

Is it still a good idea to pump endurance for everyone like in Demon's Souls? I might just start over and go pyro then because I've just been raising my sorcerer's endurance for awhile. Pyro sounds a lot closer to the royalty guy I enjoyed playing in Demon's Souls because I had great spells and pumped my endurance so I could wear the badass looking gloom armor and still be able to roll (granted I did wear the strength ring too).

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

For what its worth, I stated my dex character with the intent of making him a dex/int hybrid, but to be honest sorcery hybrids are kind of trash. Unless you are just using sorcery for weapon enchants, then they work fine but you don't need to tank a lot of points into int to pull that off. My sorc hybrid wound up becoming a dex/pyro hybrid since you aren't tanking your soul level and your ability to coop by leveling the pyromancer flame along with your dex like you would be doing with sorcery/int.

If you want to do sorcery, you really need to dedicate yourself to it since there really aren't a lot of good hybrid weapons like the blueblood sword from demons souls.

So nothing but int, attunement and maybe some endurance/vit then? I'm still very early game (as in second bonfire before taurus demon) so I don't want to gimp myself too badly. I've put a few points in endurance and one in dex.

My demon's soul caster was all over the place with a focus on int (mid 40s) and then I spent everything on either endurance, vit and enough strength to wield the crescent falchion.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

The guide is marked down to 15$ now and its pretty beefy right? I think I'm just going to cheat and drop the cash for it. Does it have a full list of spells and npc locations?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

What's the earliest I can buy new sorcery spells? I beat the taurus demon yesterday but I'm getting my rear end handed to me in the undead parish..:suicide:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

BROS SUN PRAISER posted:

60fps Blighttown with anti-aliasing?

My boner is prepared to die for that.

Oh god me too..me too. This is the first thing I thought of too. I really play all my games on the pc anymore but just have ps3 sitting around..not that it matters since my copy of DS was stolen. Guess I'll just wait out til August and play it on my awesome pc.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

My only complaint about GFW is that the big ugly white sticker on pc games is ugly as hell. http://preparetodie.com/images/bg_preorder_new_eu.jpg

Like see how much cooler looking the one on the left is? :(

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Wait..the site says download only. Will there be a physical retail copy?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

BROS SUN PRAISER posted:

It doesn't say download only at all. I think your eyes may not have REVIVIED TO THE HUMAN.

http://i.imgur.com/XYTIZ.jpg

I know its a minor thing to most people, I'm just anal and don't really like digital only download games. I'm old fashioned and like having boxes and cases.

edit- no way nevermind, it says retailers. Before I refreshed it said "DOWNLOAD ONLY"

The facebook page has totally blown up over GWL too, all the excited folks are saying "NOT BUYING NOW.".

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 12, 2012

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Download only for the US, Download and Retail for the UK. It also looks like GFWL is going to utilized only in Europe, given that it's only the EU boxes and the trailer from the EU branch of Namco are the ones that have it marked!

Where did you read download only for the US? I'm still buying it, either way.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I really don't understand these people. After demanding for months to bring them a PC version, now all of a sudden they wish it never happened.

I think it would be really funny if From Software just canceled the pc version because fans were so upset over GFW. I don't even care, I'm just sad it (might) be digital only for the US because I have really weird game OCD and like having physical copies of my favorite games.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I'm kind of worried about how active the pc version's online is going to be. Tons of people are furious over the GFWL thing, I'm kinda in the middle. I have similar feelings for it that I do for Origin, if I HAVE to use it I'll tolerate it, I mean for all the Origin bitching it hasn't done anything bad to me yet.

I'm on the fence, I could always just replace my stolen copy of DS once/if dlc comes out for the console, but decent fps would be soooo nice. I hope there's some kind of Collector's Edition for the pc.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Is there a site where I can import the UK version (when the pc version comes out)?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I'm more worried about how the game's fps will be, I hope the pc version at least improves that aspect. Really disappointed consoles won't get the new content..I mean what the gently caress?

I'm hesitantly excited still...I mean..maybe GFWL won't be that bad. Hopefully future 'Souls games will get released on the pc as well.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Sorry if it's already been posted, but...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/17/dark-souls-pc-prepare-to-sigh/

Looks like not only is Dark Souls PC going to feature GFWL, but it's apparently going to be a pretty direct, 1:1 port, meaning no additional graphics options, no real KB+M support, no extra graphics optimization, etc.

:smith:

Is there any chance the game will still have terrible fps in certain areas or will that automatically be fixed depending on your comp? I thought both 'Souls games were really beautiful so I don't mind if the graphics are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I doubted a PC version would work out from before they even announced it since a lot of what Dark Souls does really well involves removing your control (in terms of options, difficulty settings, etc) and dealing with things as the game presents them, which is sort of its whole design philosophy. A lot of what it uses to its greatest effect, basically, are things that PC gamers naturally hate, as the PC is suited well to mods and control over your game experience and such.

Most of what people were saying before about how "perfectly suited" Dark Souls is for PC seemed to be coming from people who have never played it before--I tend much more toward PC games in general but Dark Souls really feels like it's most at home on consoles to me. That said, relatively little is known about the port so far and there's no sense overreacting about it until the thing gets closer to release. A lot could change, and that article seems largely to be drawing from inference anyway. If nothing else, hey, new content.

Honestly, if we got an announcement saying the dlc was coming to the ps3 I probably wouldn't bother getting the pc version. Better fps is nice, but I agree with all of your post.

• Locked thread