Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Being invaded is intense, haven't felt such a rush since Demons Souls.

What made it more terrifying was that I am still low level, a few hours into the game, but I'd managed to amass 4k in souls.

I was on half health and my last sip from the flask. The invader looked a few levels up, had a special poison sword and cool armour.

Even worse, I had the drake sword BUT I'd currently equipped my scimitar to preserve the durability of the drake for bigger enemies; no time to change it in the middle of the fight!

I managed to keep my nerve and patiently wear him down, relying on my Demons Souls experience, whilst he must've been quite new to the experience as he panicked, flailing at me with no regard for stamina and how that would affect his blocking.

I finished him with a backstab and received 6000 souls, an insane amount for my low level character. I made it back to the bonfire and just feasted on experience, hells yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
70k souls lost because of a goddamn watermill and low fps... Ouch.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
If anyone is SL30s then Queelag is a great spot for white phantoming.

I must have defeated her like 3 or 4 times, and tried to help at least 10 times, but some people charge in and get themselves killed in various ways.

On my attempt I summoned a golden phantom (some kind of covenant I suspect?) and she had the most amazing sword, it sent out a shockwave with every hit and she just obliterated Queelag before I even lifted a finger.

Also, who else is loving the Shadow Armor? I look and feel like Shinobi :ninja:.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
How are people playing this game with heavy armour?

I personally need that <25% for maximum mobility and stamina regen; my style of play is based upon being quick and nimble I suppose.

So for those heavy armour users - does it get frustrating moving slowly/draining stamina so quickly with every block/swipe? I want to try some cool armour but just can't see myself enjoying the lack of mobility.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

The.GreyWolf posted:

You're boned unless you beat the Spider lady. Get ready to head to Anor Londo and avenge her!

Question about avenging her: I've got some black stone from her corpse that apparently can let me invade the killer's world, do I need to wait until a particular point to use it or can I just use it whenever? You mention Anor Londo, does that mean I need to wait until then?.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
For those wanting to summon help, an important caveat - if you use your white stone, you cannot summon others (at least that's my understanding as it would cause a bit of a conflict if people summoned one another simultaneously).

So if you want to summon help, don't use your white stone.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Contest Winner posted:

Please don't tell me that for joining the Chaos Servant Covenant I get the pleasure of climbing down through Blighttown, getting my rear end poisoned by the swamp, to give this arachnabitch humanity. I don't care how awesome Chaos Firestorm sounds she can shove it right up her mute rear end in a top hat. That is if I don't slide off the waterwheel, get gnawed to death by gnats, or maybe some giant rear end in a top hat orge will smash me with a rock. I really like this game but this bitch could not be more out of the way if she tried.

Blight town would be one of my favourite areas in the game if it weren't for the HORRENDOUS frame rate.

I lost 70k there and 4 humanity in one horrid swoop of the water wheel, but I still enjoyed myself.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Meme Emulator posted:

No I mean a warpable campfire. All the places I can warp to are way up high like Firelink and TWO in Amor Londo (is that really neccisarry?) but nothing down in the depths or blight town or below that even.

Where do you get the warp ability? That's one hell of a handy skill.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

smuh posted:

Okay what does "Illusory wall" mean. I've seen some messages that say that and have a few + ratings, would I need to use some dumb magic thingy or something? Or am I getting trolled?

Hit the wall.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
After fearing the Ornstein and Smough boss fight I did it first time with trusty ole Paladin Solitaire backing me up.

For those struggling (I am level 40 with good equipment):

It's actually very simple. Equip a lightning resistant shield (I was lucky to have the Eagle Shield), and take out Skinny first. He goes down quickly to fire or magic weapons (I had the queelag fury sword).

Once Fatty powers up, it gets really simple. Just keep a column/broken column between you and him, circling round each other.

Every time his hit animations begin, back off and charge back in as the animation finishes with a hit.

Rinse and repeat, done.

Also, I'm having no problem for multiplayer, getting summoned loads whenever I use my stone.

But then I'm consciously staying at level 40 so I think I'm in the sweet spot as far as the general level curve goes.

edit: Also people, be sure to drop a few items you don't need, I want to see some vagrants! I've sprinkled lots of items around the depths, so you're welcome in advance.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is a good bow, but it weighs ten pounds. Unless you are a fairly heavy archer, you probably don't want to use that much weight for your bow. Really, I think the compound bow is probably the most practical for the vast majority of characters.

For those bow-loving players, I've not seen it mentioned but the bow I'm using is the Darkmoon bow, which you get using Dark Sun Gwyndolin's soul and a +10 bow, it scales on dex/faith, has low requirements (as long as you have a bit of faith I think), and does great damage with a long range. Also, combine it with the moon arrows sold by the Anor Lando blacksmith and you're laughing. I've taken out many bosses and dragons using the bow alone from a distance.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

gotly posted:

I don't have the Dex for it, but I hear this is the best bow in the game? In Demon's Souls I loved running around ruining poo poo with the Lava Bow. Is there any comparable way to play in Dark Souls?

I play this way with the dark moon bow (made from Dark Sun Gwyndolin's boss soul)).

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

On a totally unrelated note, the lock-on distance is really too short on this game. Some enemies have melee attacks with longer range than you can lock on to them. It's really noticeable in those huge open areas like Anor Londo or the Lost Izalith ruins, where enemies taking a step back will break your lock despite it looking like they're still basically right in front of you.

Absolutely, the lock-on needs to be patched, it's really annoying when you're locked on to something, it does some attack and your lock disappears, and because you're holding back (to back away), your character spins around just in time to get hit in the back.

This was particularly frustrating with the four-legged skeletons in Tomb of the Giants, they would do an attack where they would stand up really tall and leap at you, and every time I was backing away locked-on, I would unlock, my character would turn around, goodbye souls.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Arcaeris posted:

Then Ornstein was a little tougher. He liked to dodge fireballs, and he is like a nonstop attack machine, but again, using the pillars just made him lame.

This is really the key, I got it on my first time too. Using pillars just makes it ridiculously simple - Keep a pillar between you, move in to hit after every attack animation harmlessly goes into the pillar.

Also, I have never loved my Darkmoon Bow +5 as much as when I went through Lost Izalith.

I was dreading it after reading here, but holy crap with my awesome bow it was the easiest area I've been through so far, it was the same with the valley of the drakes.

Having a good bow should not be underestimated in this game.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Hey chaps, quick question.

Due to moving to Australia from the UK, and Sony not allowing me to change the country of my PSN ID, I've had to create an Oz ID for purchases.

So, with the Oz ID, I grabbed Astorias of the Abyss, but want to play it on my UK ID (this is all on the same PS3 of course).

Will I still have Astorias of the Abyss on my UK user account even though I bought it on my Oz account?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Nahxela posted:

I think if you download it and install it on your Aussie Account, you should be able to play it on your UK account

Thanks mate. I also forgot that all my Dark Souls saves were on my old PS3; time to start from scratch again!

Can't believe how active the community still is, I'm surrounded by summons even as an early level gimp.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
I never found the Knight Archers to be bullshit, but I tell you what is (combined with the framerate problems): those green dart-spewing fuckers in Blight Town.

At least with the archers I can see the gigantic arrow heading my way and where it's coming from. Not so much with those tiny darts that make you go toxic after two hits.

Actually that makes me wonder, PC owners: is Blight Town on PC much smoother due to the raw processing power of the modern PC?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
That is art.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Ok I've played this game a lot but this is the first time I've received a 'titanite catch pole'. Interesting weapon! Anyone use it?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
Goddammit Australia, I'm getting tired of getting raped by invaders because the lag is so much that they appear in front of me and are somehow backstabbing me.

Yeesh. Also, as many of the players in my 'zone' are Japanese, I get some strange messages. I'll have to post some up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.
I think that kind of lag you're describing happens quite a bit, at least it's commonplace if you live all the way over in Australia.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've been facing someone down and all of a sudden they've teleported to stab me in the back.

Very annoying and a primary reasoning I've avoided PvP.

• Locked thread