Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Why is that zero guy with the live stream putting most of his stat points into dex?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Read posted:

Probably to use dex based weapons?

I have no idea. It just seems to me like a heavy armor sword and board warrior would be needing mostly strength, and he has dex.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Watching this guy stand around on the bridge like an idiot and then go get his rear end kicked by some dude with a big hammer in pvp several times, then die to the wolf 4 times is started to draw on me. I guess I should stop watching.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I started the game as a sorcerer, and just beat the dragon boss in the tutorial (pretty easy) and I haven't been able to use my spell. How do I use it/when am I able to?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Artix74 posted:

I started as a Pyromancer and got a "hand of flame" or whatever it was called right before the Asylum Demon, which let me use my Fireball spell. I would think they'd make sure you had all your basic equipment before letting you leave the Asylum, but maybe not? (I'm assuming you're talking about the Asylum as the tutorial?)

Also, I'm just kind of sitting around grinding up souls in the Undead Burg to get some basic equipment like the Key, Repair Kit, and a Heater Shield. 5000 souls is a lot of money when most kills only get 20 or 30 souls, and that's before possibly getting a couple levels. :( At least it's really easy to make everything respawn, and I get to heal and top off the flask at the same time.

Well I don't know how to cast that spell. It's in the "up" slot on my d pad as default but I can't cast it (unless I'm doing it wrong?) I really could use some help...

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

evilalien posted:

You need to equip the sorcery catalyst (should look like a staff) into one of your hands and then press R1/RB or L1/LB to activate it.

Thanks, that's exactly what I need to do.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
So I lit a bonfire an went into the undeadburg area (at least that's where I think), and when I died it took me the whole way back to the beginning right after the aslyum. Any reason it did that?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Oh man I'm stuck at the 2nd campfire in the game. I keep dying either on the way to, or right at some big loving taurus boss on the wall. I tried rolling around him and attacking his back but he turned and hit me each time...not sure how to progress.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

Climb up the ladder near the entrance and jump attack him. Lead him away from it and repeat until he dies.

Thanks...I don't know what I'm doing but I just can't make it back to that point again. The trash mobs keeps killing me, and loving respawns every time I die is ridiculous.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is there a fireplace after the dragon bridge? I have 6k souls, no health potions and like 20% hp. I also found some huge dark knight at the top of a tower but I then ran away.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

ireladd posted:

You should be fine. Unless it glitched the way some people have pointed out and you were awarded 10,000 souls, he does return if you linger around on the bridge.

Yep! You need to hang around one of those side parts of the bridge. I always choose the left side. Waiting there for about ten seconds he'll jump down to you and start walking past where you are. As soon as you can get through run past his feet toward the bonfire, as well as a level to open a gate that shortcuts your path back to where the boar and dark knight are.

My CE copy of Dark Souls just arrived. I've been lucky enough to have been playing already for the past few days, now the thing is here at work taunting me to play more.

Also, question about a particular weapon after the Gargoyles. I got the axe by cutting off the gargoyle tail, and have the stats to equip it but every time I do the bars for bleeding, poison and deadly poison appear and at a point where they are nearly already full. What's the deal?

I went up the steps to the right of the boar and got shot to death...on my way back the rats pushed me off the ledge under the dragon bridge...there goes 7k souls.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

ireladd posted:

You should be fine. Unless it glitched the way some people have pointed out and you were awarded 10,000 souls, he does return if you linger around on the bridge.

Yep! You need to hang around one of those side parts of the bridge. I always choose the left side. Waiting there for about ten seconds he'll jump down to you and start walking past where you are. As soon as you can get through run past his feet toward the bonfire, as well as a level to open a gate that shortcuts your path back to where the boar and dark knight are.

My CE copy of Dark Souls just arrived. I've been lucky enough to have been playing already for the past few days, now the thing is here at work taunting me to play more.

Also, question about a particular weapon after the Gargoyles. I got the axe by cutting off the gargoyle tail, and have the stats to equip it but every time I do the bars for bleeding, poison and deadly poison appear and at a point where they are nearly already full. What's the deal?

When I do that, and go to the left side, he jumps down and stands right by me, and jumps up and shoots fire over both lengths of the bridge. I tried running under him but I have literally 1 second before I get hit with fire. I tried eating one shot and then getting up and going again but he just jumped twice and shot again.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
is there any way to hold more estus flasks? I feel like my mage had 10 but my bandit can only hold 5.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I've been playing for four hours and I'm stuck at the same god drat bonfire in the Burg on both characters. I enjoy the challenge of it but at some point the fun factor decreases when I can't even progress to the next checkpoint. I kill the taurus guy and then the boar and I still can't find another bonfire. It's like 20 min from spawn to the same point again at which point I have no potions left.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I can't even level up because I keep dying :( I really feel like an idiot because I can't get past the second bonfire (in the Burg). I've killed the Taurus and Boar now but I can't get back to the spot where the boar was because I keep dying. I did go back to the GY however and pick up the winged spear and Zweihander (also found 3 chests in a semi hidden place that spills you out into the GY after). Now I have to decide if I want to try and get 5 more dex for the winged spear (because my dex is 10 and it needs 15), or go straight for 9 more str to use the zweihander.

/sigh. I need a break I think.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I decided to grab the strategy guide, and I must say this is a thing of loving beauty. It's hardback (25 bucks), well very structured and polished as far as a visual physical product goes.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

I'm finding it almost impossible to backstab with the battle axe. It's a lot harder for some reason, than with a dagger/sword.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just spent 10 min getting the drake sword and I need another 4 str to use it 1h. I was trying to throw my pyro spell at the drat boar and some rear end in a top hat skeleton snuck up behind me and pushed me over the ledge and then the boar charged me and I died.../sigh

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Anyone have any suggestions on what stats to get next? I'm still in the burg (spent the last hour farming for the repairbox, and 16 str to use the drake sword one handed). I have 16 str, 15 vit, 12-13 endurance, and 11-12 dex. I am a pyromancer but I primarily use my melee. The pyro runs out too fast and has a very limited range which isn't optimal (as far as cast time goes) if something is coming toward you.

One last question, can I use the repairbox more than once? I hope so, but I only ask because there was a quantity option when I purchased it (unless that's there for every item?). For 3k souls it better be permanent.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Republicans posted:

Run across the bridge along the right side. Around where all those guards are is a staircase on the right. If you're quick you can get down that before the fire comes, and even if you do get it it should be glancing and not outright kill you (provided you didn't eat too many arrows running in). From down there you can access the top of the bonfire room and kick a ladder down to make a shortcut. Then you can cross under the bridge and into the undead church area.

Bonus Weapon Spoiler: From under the bridge you may notice the dragon's tail waving about, all vulnerable-like. Shoot enough arrows into it and you'll cut it off and earn the Dragon Saber, a 200dmg sword that will tear poo poo up early in the game.

How does that area access the bonfire room? It just takes me across the bottom of the bridge to the rat room, then up on the other side of the gate with the bonfire (ie blocking me) with the boar and skeletons...I can't get to that bonfire for the life of me.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is it worth trying to kill havel in the Burg? I'm level 15 right now.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

So if I have like, what, 1000 souls I should check at a bonfire to see if I can level? That sounds..odd.

This took me a while to sink into my brain, but each stat point you increase "is" a level up. Let's say you're level 10. It takes x souls to increase your strength from 10-11. So you purchase it. You're now level 11. I hope that makes sense.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Would you guys recommend strength or dex for a melee character? I'm not wearing heavy armor (though I'm sure I will eventually when I buy it). But I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my other stats and would like to focus on dex or str, but I'm not really sure what gear requirements there will be later.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do you want to use fast weapons or big weapons?

There you go.

I'd prefer faster (I think). Is heavy armor reliant on strength?

Also, where can I buy some heavier armor? I started as a pyro so I'm not exactly wearing very protective armor.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

Endurance is used for the gear you have equipped so for the heavier armor you'll want more endurance as the stat dictates how much weight you can carry with equipped items. You'll run fine up until you reach more than half your weight limit threshold and then you start to slow down.

You can buy some cheap chain mail at the first merchant you find, alternatively all the armored undead you'll bump into start dropping good heavy armor. Make sure you buy gloves as they are a bit more elusive to get.

Thanks. I think I'll leave my str at 16 and start pumping endurance and dex (I want to use that damned wingspear..) Any opinions on how much endurance is enough?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Keep it roughly in line with your other stats but eventually you'll certainly want 30 and probably 40, as that also maxes out your stamina bar. Endurance is a super critical stat for anyone other than a pure mage.

Alright, thanks.

Do you know of any high damage weapons that require a lot of dex? I only ask because the drake sword (what I'm using now) is just so good relative to anything yet that I've found.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

I believe the highest dex you'll ever need in order to equip a weapon is 24. That doesn't mean you should stop there though if you're planning on going down that route as an archer, thief, spearman etc. as the damage will still be mitigated from the stat.

If you're going down a strength route 20 dex is all you'll ever need for certain polearms.

Thanks again. Am I even going to be even close in level enough to get 40 endurance, more vit (I only have 15, not sure how much I need, maybe 20?), and dex? I don't know if I'd have enough points to get strength if I wanted to.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Are there any spears that are as powerful as the big swords/axes/hammers? I'm tryin to choose whether or not to focus dex or str (still :( )

Ankle-biter posted:

PLEASE no more posts with anything related to Amazon. We don't care and we can't help you!

For content...It took me about 220 cheap arrows with the long-bow to kill the undead dragon. For some reason shooting him in the wings does a little more damage. After getting the dragon scale he drops I spent about 2 hours getting the 10k souls it takes to upgrade the drake sword. I need more scales...does the red dragon drop one? If so, what's the best way to kill him?

How do you upgrade the drake sword?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Can you upgrade armor?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Alectai posted:

I can confirm this, and Dark Knights are easy as piss with a good -100% physical shield and enough space to circle around. I've gotten two for my score so far, and each dropped their weapon (I'm just a few levels away from being able to wield the Dark Knight Sword, and I just recently picked up the Dark Knight Halberd, though the 32 Str/18 Dex requirement made my pale just a bit.). Each also dropped a piece of special Titanite too.

Haven't gotten their shields, but I've been doing fine with the Knight's Shield I picked up behind the one fencer-knight in Undead Parish, it's pretty solid.

Incidentally? I found the Valley of Drakes just a bit back, got in a melee against one of them, madly dodging their lightning breath and blocking their melees... Then it did one of it's jump-attacks, flew away, and a few seconds later, I hear a screech and get 500 Souls. Evidently drakes can't fly, who knew!

Still need some better armor then Chain Mail, but my gear's gradually coming together :unsmith:

Where can I get a -100% shield?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I really want to get the bonfire behind the dragon on the bridge (and open that gate) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do so. If I sprint down and stick in the left corner, he jumps down eventually and walks up to/by me but if I move he just fire blazes the whole bridge multiple times. Any tips?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Nechronic posted:

I shot him with a bow and he jumped down to the bridge. Right after he landed I just ran past him to the bonfire.

I'll give it a shot and report back, thanks.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

der juicen posted:

Do you just run, or do you have to fight this rear end in a top hat. I set up a summon stone, if any of yall are 360, right at the entrance lookin at dragon boy.

I think you fight him later on. Initially you just run.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm level 15 and before I did anything else (just killed the boar in the Parish) I wanted to do two things.

1.)Get the drat bonfire behind the dragon.
2.) Kill one of those dark knight guys

So 1 was easy, I shot the dragon and sprinted between it's feet...not sure why I couldn't figure that out on my own.

Dark Knight wasn't too bad but the first 4 times I got stuck between him and the steps and he just raped my face off. When I did kill him on attempt 6 I took no damage, and the fight consisted of me backstabbing him twice with my drake sword and he died. Got a titanite shard but that's it.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just beat the gargoyles and I'm heading into the lower Burg. Is there any place I can get heavy armor? I'm sword and boarding it but I still have my pyro starting gear (except for my drake sword, heater shield, and sweet sweet gargoyle helm).

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

Additionally, you can farm these guys really fast with a pretty hilarious trick. Aggro all of the humanoids that you can and then run back to the stairwell entrance. If you stand on the cliff beside it they'll run up the stairs one by one and fall down. It's ~6k souls every minute or so.

How are you guys saving up 20k souls to start with? That's crazy.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

A humanity isn't worth 5k souls, so I wouldn't buy any at that price. Just go farm some rats. Even if you can only get at the room with 3 under the bridge, there's a bonfire pretty much right there and you'll get one every 3 runs or so.

Dunno about soul farming over there, as I'm not in that area yet, but if you manage to save up 20,000, trade them to the blacksmith in the parish for the key to the gate in the woods. Enemies behind that gate drop 1000/2000 souls each.

Where is that gate?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

Additionally, you can farm these guys really fast with a pretty hilarious trick. Aggro all of the humanoids that you can and then run back to the stairwell entrance. If you stand on the cliff beside it they'll run up the stairs one by one and fall down. It's ~6k souls every minute or so.

I plan on doing this, but could you provide more description about what all is right there? I have about 15.5k souls farmed from the Berg (I can do a "run" in about 2 minutes and I get around 700 souls and I've done it so much I rarely get hit) and I'm going to try and get to 20k for the key and then farm in this spot using this method you're talking about.

I'm also terrified of getting from the Burg to the blacksmith. I'm going to try and go backwards to the firelink, take the elevator up and then try and make my way outside to the blacksmith...if I die after farming 20k souls I'm going to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

CaptainPoopsock posted:

I am pretty sure these Gargoyles are impossible at level 15ish or so. :( The first one I can chip away at slowly, but once the second one comes and spams me with fire forget about it. Running around with my starter scimitar and a spear, and these are doing absolutely dick to the gargoyles. What's a better weapon for this point in the game?

I did it at 17, granted I had the drake sword. It only took me 3 tries (I was greedy with my combo and tried to kill them when I should've been running around). I had enough endurance that a full endurance bar combo from behind them (so I didn't get hit) could take the drake from 1/2 to dead, so I did that as soon as he hit half so I didn't have to deal with 2 of them at once.

Funkmaster General posted:

This is definitely the safest route. Assuming you cleared out the big black mace knight, you'll only face three enemies post-elevator. The toughest spot is going to be right as you come out of the aqueduct with the rat. There will be three or four guys standing there waiting for you on top of those stairs. As long as you're ready for them and are careful not to fall off, you'll be fine. If you DO die, you still have a second chance so I'm sure it won't be a problem as long as you don't try to take the taurus demon/bridge route.

Yeah, it's all cleared out. The area you talked about is funny because I died there probably 10 times when I started. I had no prior experience with Demon Souls so I wasn't sure what I was doing. I've died so many times learning the ropes of this game that firelink through the Burg I could do asleep. Thanks for the tips though. Hopefully I can figure out that cliff farming thing.

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 6, 2011

• Locked thread