Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Started a batch of green walnuts to make nocino, thanks to the walnut trees in the yard at work. Planning for a month steep then 5 or 6 months of mellowing. If it turns out good, I got some Christmas gifts. Cause nocino tastes like straight up Christmas.

Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I got a big basket of Niagara peaches today. What should I infuse them into and for how long? Think 2 weeks in bourbon.

Catfish Noodlin
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

So my first time trying this, and I'm doing Kaffir lime leaves in Vodka. I put 4 frozen leaves that I bruised into a smaller bottle of Tito's.

My question is what category the lime leaves fall under- I would think similar to citrus peel, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any idea of what else I could add with it, too?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got a big basket of Niagara peaches today. What should I infuse them into and for how long? Think 2 weeks in bourbon.

Dude can't believe I missed this post, I've been on a huge peach kick lately. Yeah, bourbon works great, brandy is probably best if you want something that screams "peach liqueur". After about two weeks the bourbon won't really get any peachier, you might have to do another round with new peaches.

You'll also want to spice it- cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla bean work wonders. As always, be real careful with cinnamon, these should only need a day or so in brandy, maybe a bit more for a whiskey. Take them out when you can just taste the spices.

Dienes posted:

I took a fifth of gold tequila and steeped cucumber in it for 2 weeks, lime zest for 5 days, and a combination of peppers for 4 days. Strained and filtered it and made a syrup with agave nectar instead of regular sugar and let it age 2 months. Serve on the rocks with a squeeze of lime juice and a slice of cucumber - it turned out incredible.

So I never got back to y'all on this but it turned out really well, thanks a ton- I'm getting a batch together for a Christmas gift this week. Very surprised at how smooth it aged out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Started a batch of green walnuts to make nocino, thanks to the walnut trees in the yard at work. Planning for a month steep then 5 or 6 months of mellowing. If it turns out good, I got some Christmas gifts. Cause nocino tastes like straight up Christmas.

Can't wait.
I've got to try this next time they're in season. How many walnuts to how much liquor, and do you add any seasoning?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Grimey Drawer

My wife got a lemon balm plant and it's been growing great and now there is too much lemon balm is there an alcohol I can stick it in?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

I realized today that due to a dilution fuckup my booze is not 40%, more like 35-36%. Will this still be enough to inhibit bacterial growth? I haven't noticed anything tasting or smelling off and none of my infusions are cloudy, but should I just chuck everything and start again to be on the safe side?

edit: cool thanks, will carry on getting smashed

girl pants fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2017 around 17:18

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

girl pants posted:

I realized today that due to a dilution fuckup my booze is not 40%, more like 35-36%. Will this still be enough to inhibit bacterial growth? I haven't noticed anything tasting or smelling off and none of my infusions are cloudy, but should I just chuck everything and start again to be on the safe side?

20% kills salmonella (and everything else) in egg nog within a few weeks. You're fine.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I seems like you could get more concentrated corn flavor if you removed the moisture from the corn and used the dried pulp instead. A lot of infusions work better with dried fruits and this doesn't seem much different. If you have a juicer you could try juicing the kernels and then drying the pulp in a low oven before infusing. I like to eat the dried pulp on its own and it has an incredible sweet toasty corn flavor that I bet would infuse really well. Also, try heating up the corn juice and the starches in it thicken into corn pudding and it's awesome.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

My mint infusion developed kind of a funky taste. I don't think I have the patience for months-long infusions, but I made a cinnamon infusion and a clove infusion and they turned out SO well, especially mixed with orange juice. Next I'll probably try an orange pekoe infusion + enough simple syrup to make it a liqueur. Sweet tea liqueur here I come.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Jothan posted:

My wife got a lemon balm plant and it's been growing great and now there is too much lemon balm is there an alcohol I can stick it in?

Took me a while to see this but lemon balm is weird. I've approached it like mint or basil and steeped it for 24 hours or less. Anything longer gets kind of nasty, but even with a short maceration it just ends up herby and still doesn't taste or smell anything like the original plant. Aging the spirit after maceration also seems to do nothing to improve it.

Kenning
Jan 10, 2009

I really want to post goatse. I wish I had 10bux

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I seems like you could get more concentrated corn flavor if you removed the moisture from the corn and used the dried pulp instead. A lot of infusions work better with dried fruits and this doesn't seem much different. If you have a juicer you could try juicing the kernels and then drying the pulp in a low oven before infusing. I like to eat the dried pulp on its own and it has an incredible sweet toasty corn flavor that I bet would infuse really well. Also, try heating up the corn juice and the starches in it thicken into corn pudding and it's awesome.

I think you'll probably have better luck infusing the cob, especially if you very lightly toast it before throwing it in the liquor.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Would dry, flaked corn from a brewing supply store work for this, you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Kenning posted:

I think you'll probably have better luck infusing the cob, especially if you very lightly toast it before throwing it in the liquor.
Scraping and cooking the cob makes for good corn chowder so I bet it would also make for tasty booze. My suggestion for the dried kernels was mostly to keep the proof up and add extra toastiness, but adding some liquid from the cob could give it a different taste and viscosity that could be good.

Dienes posted:

Would dry, flaked corn from a brewing supply store work for this, you think?

I've never used it so I have no idea. If you try it please let us know because I'm curious.

«26 »