Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
Halloween Jack
Sep 11, 2003

Let your word be "Yes, Yes" or "No, No"; anything more than this comes from the evil one.

Yeah, ginger liqueur is extremely easy too. I'm on my second batch. You just steep the stuff in the liquor for a month and then filter. If you want, you can make liqueur by taking the steeped ginger and steeping it further in some simple syrup to add back into the mixture. As with limoncello, the only real work is in straining a couple times through a few layers of cheesecloth to minimalize sediment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

I love the candied ginger infusion technique, but has anyone tried ginger tea to let you sweeten differently? I have a bunch of ginger tea (it's good stuff) and I almost set up an infusion last night but I hesitated.

mentalcontempt
Sep 3, 2002

Any thoughts on this limoncello technique?

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-the...-had-1533528095

Iíve made a couple different batches in past years the normal way, just letting the peels from Meyer lemons soak in vodka, Everclear, or a mix of the two. I was ok with the pure grain alcohol batch but some of the recipients felt it was too high-octane. Half and half seemed like a decent compromise, although the recipe above just calls for vodka.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So...I'm a bit of a dumbass. I tried making a Terry's Chocolate Orange vodka.

So, right now I got 45% vodka that burns, witha hint of chocolate, and bitter orangey flavour. How the gently caress do I fix? Do i mix in enough simple syrup to sweeten and thin, or just pretend I made chocalate orange cocktail bitters?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

o fuk traffic

What process did you use to make it? You'd have been better off making an orange peel infused vodka first, followed by cooking that with chocolate and then freezing/straining out the fat solids.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

What process did you use to make it? You'd have been better off making an orange peel infused vodka first, followed by cooking that with chocolate and then freezing/straining out the fat solids.

Yeah, I think so. I followed an online blog (Yes I know I dumb). I basically finely chopped a ton of bittersweet chocolate, and let it sit, with daily shaking for like 3 weeks. Then strained. Then orange zest for about 2 weeks. Then strained.

Whalley
Mar 5, 2004

neato devito

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, I think so. I followed an online blog (Yes I know I dumb). I basically finely chopped a ton of bittersweet chocolate, and let it sit, with daily shaking for like 3 weeks. Then strained. Then orange zest for about 2 weeks. Then strained.

Orange zest for 2 weeks? You need sugar. Basically consider what you've made a very fuckin altered -cello. Make a bunch of simple syrup and start stirring it in until you've made yourself a sippable sweet thing. Maybe even use some raw cacao nibs while making the syrup, just to add a bit more chocolate flavor?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Whalley posted:

Orange zest for 2 weeks? You need sugar. Basically consider what you've made a very fuckin altered -cello. Make a bunch of simple syrup and start stirring it in until you've made yourself a sippable sweet thing. Maybe even use some raw cacao nibs while making the syrup, just to add a bit more chocolate flavor?

That is probably my best bet.

God, I don't know why I hosed this one up so much. I've been doing infusions for years, including -cello's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, definitely just try some sugar orrr, if you're hella lazy, try some swissmiss/hot chocolate mix to add more chocolate taste?

If you measure things right you can just take part of it and see if sugar will fix the whole mixture.

I've been getting really tired of doing things straight all the time btw and have been looking over some interesting shortcuts; stuff like not using simple syrups to thin out liqueurs but fruit juices and using just straight up hot chocolate to embellish one hazelnut liqueur to add more sweetness

«27 »