Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Don't know how I've lived my life without this thread- just started the aging on some kind of lime-mint-cello. I've been thinking about doing a coffee rum but didn't see anything in the thread about it right away; any advice? Whole/ground, amount, time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Jothan posted:

Don't know how I've lived my life without this thread- just started the aging on some kind of lime-mint-cello. I've been thinking about doing a coffee rum but didn't see anything in the thread about it right away; any advice? Whole/ground, amount, time?

Personally I start with a dark rum - the cheaper and darker the better. Then I get a handful or two of coffee beans and put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin to break them up a bit. Stick those in the rum along with a split vanilla pod and leave it for a couple of weeks to a month with regular shaking then filter it (dry the vanilla pod and stick it in a jar with golden caster sugar if you like to bake.)

Once you filter it, it will taste quite strong and bitter but the longer you leave it to age the sweeter and more complex it will taste. If you taste it regularly, you will see what I mean but I try leave it at least a few weeks before sweetening with a sugar solution and bottling. I usually use a dark or golden sugar to make the syrup to sweeten it because it goes well with the rum. If you need it quicker, you can infuse it for a shorter time and will probably need to add more sweetener. Coffee rum really benefits from ageing but is also one of the most forgiving infusions because all the flavours are quite strong.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Alright, cool. It took me a bit to track down a vanilla bean so I only put it in recently, and it already smells much improved. Hope those things are worth $4 each cuz that's just ridiculous.

Y'all know anything that infuses well into tequila? Also, unrelated, what would I do to make a caramel-ish flavor?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Jothan posted:

Alright, cool. It took me a bit to track down a vanilla bean so I only put it in recently, and it already smells much improved. Hope those things are worth $4 each cuz that's just ridiculous.

Y'all know anything that infuses well into tequila? Also, unrelated, what would I do to make a caramel-ish flavor?

Goddamn. $4/bean. No.

http://saffron.com/store/vanilla-beans/

I've ordered from them a couple times before. Never steered me wrong.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

topenga posted:

Goddamn. $4/bean. No.

http://saffron.com/store/vanilla-beans/

I've ordered from them a couple times before. Never steered me wrong.

Aw nice; I was avoiding ordering anything since I only needed the one bean but I'll have to keep this handy. Apparently I got lucky where I live; internet says most stores sell at like $7/e.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Buying beans from normal grocery stores will always be extremely expensive because if you're buying one bean they know you need it.

I get mine from Costco where they charge something like $9 for a 2-pack w/ 4 beans each.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Jothan posted:

oof that is pretty expensive - I live in the UK and got a bunch at a market where they probably worked out to around 1-2 dollars each. I find they really improve the coffee rum but be careful putting them in other infusions because they infuse quickly and strongly and can overpower many other flavours if you leave them in longer than a day or two. If they still smell strongly of vanilla you can reuse them though! I haven't tried it but you might be able to substitute by just adding vanilla essence to taste after you've filtered the coffee out but before ageing.

For adding caramel flavour you're probably best off just caramelising some sugar and using that. You can also buy caramels and use those but because of the butter, cream etc it will be much cloudier and a bitch to filter. You'll get the same sort of flavour from any kind of bought caramel but the hard type like werther's original will probably make an infusion that is clearer and easier to filter than either the chewy type or sauce.

The only thing I've tried in tequila was chillies and that made some pretty tasty shots. Tequila is pretty strongly flavoured already so you'd need something that goes well with it and packs a fair punch. I have seen pineapple tequila on offer at bars here but not tried it - other people might have more ideas.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When I tried Chartreuse for the first time it was one of those rare occasions when something completely lives up to the hype and is just as good as people say it is.

It smelled like vodka and tooth paste but the instant it passed my lips.. god drat.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Anyone here know anything about making cream liqueurs? The internet is just giving me conflicting advice and ranting about artificial ingredients.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jothan posted:

Anyone here know anything about making cream liqueurs? The internet is just giving me conflicting advice and ranting about artificial ingredients.

Only eggnog, but I don't see why it would be that different to make something Bailies-esque. I'd flavor the liquor first, then add to the cream/milk/sugar.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

baquerd posted:

Only eggnog, but I don't see why it would be that different to make something Bailies-esque. I'd flavor the liquor first, then add to the cream/milk/sugar.

Well what I need is liquor that tastes like cream, not cream that tastes like liquor. Most of what I've found on the internet so far suggest just aging the liquor with dairy and sugar, but I'm getting a lot of different things about amounts and creams and precooking.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jothan posted:

Well what I need is liquor that tastes like cream, not cream that tastes like liquor. Most of what I've found on the internet so far suggest just aging the liquor with dairy and sugar, but I'm getting a lot of different things about amounts and creams and precooking.

Sure, if you're not trying to infuse additional flavors, I'd mix the main contenders together right off the bat. The alcohol by itself (especially since you want it very strong it sounds like) will prevent bacterial growth and will make the drink safe. It's not like the eggs in my eggnog are making it safer.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/our-modern-plagues/why-you-shouldnt-fear-eggnog posted:

In the early tests, the bacteria were thriving, but between one and three weeks later, they appeared to be completely gone, likely wiped out by the recipe's copious amount of alcohol.

So pre-cooking shouldn't really be needed. You can also adjust the consistency as it ages. Not strong enough, add more alcohol; need thicker/thinner, add more cream/milk (can lightly and softly whip the cream with sugar too for extra thickness)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jothan posted:

Do a cream wash? Does it matter if it's clear?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Do a cream wash? Does it matter if it's clear?

It does not! What is a cream wash

Also another, auxiliary, question and that is "is this also the Sangria thread?"

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mix it with cream, let everything curdle and sit a day or 2, strain out all the solids and some of the cream flavor will remain.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Jothan posted:

Y'all know anything that infuses well into tequila?

I took a fifth of gold tequila and steeped cucumber in it for 2 weeks, lime zest for 5 days, and a combination of peppers for 4 days. Strained and filtered it and made a syrup with agave nectar instead of regular sugar and let it age 2 months. Serve on the rocks with a squeeze of lime juice and a slice of cucumber - it turned out incredible.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Dienes posted:

I took a fifth of gold tequila and steeped cucumber in it for 2 weeks, lime zest for 5 days, and a combination of peppers for 4 days. Strained and filtered it and made a syrup with agave nectar instead of regular sugar and let it age 2 months. Serve on the rocks with a squeeze of lime juice and a slice of cucumber - it turned out incredible.

This sounds awesome. Can you provide a bit more info on quantities? If I start it now it'll be ready in time for summer.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I've been infusing my booze for a couple of years, but just found this thread. I'm going to be more disciplined about ageing my spirits.

Best recipe I've every done was wray and nephew overproof rum. It spent a week on fennel seed, caraway, ginger, a very small number of cloves, and black pepper. Then I left it for a month on red apple peels. Finally I added about a tablespoonful of black treacle. Nobody who tried it, including a friend who's a professional sommelier, could guess the base spirit or any of the ingredients.

If you try straight w&n, you'd never think you could get a sipping spirit out of it, but apple peels can tame anything.

Anyway, thread has inspired me to try the coffee spirit. I'm using brandy for the base, and its been two days on crushed, light roasted beans and vanilla, and it already tastes delicious. I was planning to sweeten it with honey, but honestly I'm not sure if I'll bother, given it's already pretty sweet.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

vlad3217 posted:

This sounds awesome. Can you provide a bit more info on quantities? If I start it now it'll be ready in time for summer.

I was kinda winging it, but it was 1 whole cucumber, 2 jalapenos, 1 red chili, 1 poblano, and 2 limes.About an 1/8 cup of syrup.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Dienes posted:

I was kinda winging it, but it was 1 whole cucumber, 2 jalapenos, 1 red chili, 1 poblano, and 2 limes.About an 1/8 cup of syrup.

Thanks, totally fine that it's made up, just wanted a general guideline.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

What are some good things to infuse gin with? I'm thinking jalapenos, maybe.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
For a summer drink raspberries go very well with gin. Don't add any sugar to it and it stays nice and tart in a gin and tonic

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Lemongrass I find works super well in gin, but it has a slow infuse time. Cucumber too.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Dienes posted:

Thanks! Just started aging this and it's awesome. Was very surprised at what the agave did to it. Here's hoping this is one of the recipes I actually have the patience to wait a month before I start breaking it out every time we have company.

Also did that coffee rum a while back- very impressed by the vanilla bean. I don't even like coffee and it's great. Should be done aging just in time for my wife's birthday!

Got myself on a blackberry kick recently so decided to try that out, found something I really enjoyed- half a jar of blackberries, cover with brandy, rest of jar with vodka, steep for week or two. Started out real bitter till it started absorbing way more of the fruit flavor. It... did not make it through the recommended aging time. Might try it with gin.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

10 Beers posted:

What are some good things to infuse gin with? I'm thinking jalapenos, maybe.

Damsons/sloes/bullaces are traditional but very good in gin. Rhubarb is also good and rhubarb gin tastes great with ginger in cocktails or with advocaat layered on the top of it. I've also had success with both gooseberries and cranberries in gin. I only had dried cranberries when I was making that one but they worked very well.

Dienes posted:

This sounds amazing. I'm going to have to try it!

Ktb fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 26, 2017

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
quick I'm making a gift for a family friend and I need to know everything there is to know about peach booze

e: for anyone curious, you need ginger & cinnamon for a few days. vanilla doesn't hurt.

Jothan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2017

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
I found out that there's a berry patch near my place so I figured I'd make strawberry vodka. I used 3 1qt mason jars and each of them has 2 cups of cut strawberries and 2 cups of 80 proof vodka. I've read in this thread that the berries should steep in the vodka for up to a month, and that eventually all of the color will leech out of the berries and into the vodka. I started mine about 24 hours ago and it already looks like I'm soaking cooked shrimp in koolaid. There's very little color left in the berries and the vodka has turned pink. Should the berries have lost a lot of their color this fast? Did I not use enough berries? Should I add more to the jars?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Sea Pancake posted:

I found out that there's a berry patch near my place so I figured I'd make strawberry vodka. I used 3 1qt mason jars and each of them has 2 cups of cut strawberries and 2 cups of 80 proof vodka. I've read in this thread that the berries should steep in the vodka for up to a month, and that eventually all of the color will leech out of the berries and into the vodka. I started mine about 24 hours ago and it already looks like I'm soaking cooked shrimp in koolaid. There's very little color left in the berries and the vodka has turned pink. Should the berries have lost a lot of their color this fast? Did I not use enough berries? Should I add more to the jars?

Taste the infusion. Taste a berry piece. Depending on how fine you cut the strawberries it might not take that long, but there is probably still some good stuff left to infuse into the vodka.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Hey all, I'm working my way through the thread but have a couple questions in the meantime.

How long do you like for steeping coffee, green tea, and basil (separately, obviously)? Am I right in thinking those are pretty much all overnight steeps followed by some aging?

Has anyone tried steeping fresh corn? There's a place here that uses corn milk in a few cocktails, and sweet corn from a farmer's market sounds like it could be really nice as an infusion. Anything peculiar to corn that I should be aware of if I do this?

Edit: typo

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Has anyone tried steeping fresh corn? There's a place here that uses corn milk in a few cocktails, and sweet corn from a farmer's market sounds like it could be really as an infusion. Anything peculiar to corn that I should be aware of if I do this?

I haven't done corn, but that sounds good. I kinda suspect you could get away with steeping husk and cob and silk and still just eat the corn.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ben Nevis posted:

I haven't done corn, but that sounds good. I kinda suspect you could get away with steeping husk and cob and silk and still just eat the corn.

I was going to try doing a batch that way to compare, but I was running low on vodka, so I think I'll try that next time. For now, I'm steeping three ears' worth of kernels in something like 500mL of vodka. I have no idea how long to steep this one.

Unrelated, I saw some mentions earlier in the thread of using candied ginger in infusions. For anyone who's tried it, how'd it turn out?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I looooove how candied ginger comes out. I've done raw grated ginger in infusions (a pain to filter out and tasted really... Root-like?), raw peeled chunks of ginger (took forever to give moderate flavor, not super tastable next to other strong flavors) and if you love strong ginger spicy flavor and don't mind the sweetness of the sugar, candied is my ginger form of choice. I love it. It's totally stupid proof.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nicol Bolas posted:

I looooove how candied ginger comes out. I've done raw grated ginger in infusions (a pain to filter out and tasted really... Root-like?), raw peeled chunks of ginger (took forever to give moderate flavor, not super tastable next to other strong flavors) and if you love strong ginger spicy flavor and don't mind the sweetness of the sugar, candied is my ginger form of choice. I love it. It's totally stupid proof.

That sounds promising! How long do you steep it for? I think I recall people here saying it took like a month or two for raw ginger; is it similar for candied?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Honestly I've found I got some decent flavor after a week, though naturally it's kind of a to-taste thing and depends on the spirit you're infusing and the quality and type of ginger you use. (Chunks infuse slower than strips, naturally.) I generally leave mine at least a month to get most of the flavor out.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Hey all, I'm working my way through the thread but have a couple questions in the meantime.

How long do you like for steeping coffee, green tea, and basil (separately, obviously)? Am I right in thinking those are pretty much all overnight steeps followed by some aging?

Has anyone tried steeping fresh corn? There's a place here that uses corn milk in a few cocktails, and sweet corn from a farmer's market sounds like it could be really nice as an infusion. Anything peculiar to corn that I should be aware of if I do this?

Edit: typo

In my experience, using 40% abv spirits:

Coffee I'd probably leave a bit longer. I usually use coffee beans smashed up a bit and steep anywhere from a week to a month. I haven't used ground coffee but that would go quicker and you'd probably get a lot of flavour after a few days.

Black tea starts to taste weird after a few days so overnight to a day or two should be good. Herbal teas can take from a few days to a couple of weeks

Fresh basil is really fussy and overnight should be plenty. It only needs a few hours up to a couple days Leave it too long and it starts to taste grassy and kinda gross.

Crystallised ginger is almost impossible to over-steep so leave it as long as you want. Some of the commercially produced ginger beer cheats on the "fiery" taste by using capsaicin so if that's your bag you can stick a chilli in it for a few hours at the end to get the extra kick.

But it all depends on the spirits you're using and you'll have to taste it to be sure. Coffee is pretty forgiving and so are herbal teas so you can leave them longer if you want. With the basil and black tea if you still don't have strong enough flavour after a couple of days then you're best off filtering and adding more fresh tea/basil rather than leaving it for longer.

I've never tried corn but i'd treat it like fruit and expect it to take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I've always suspected that some of the more potent ginger beers out there were spiking it with cayenne pepper.

I'm definitely going to try the crystallized ginger. What do you think of putting it in rum, light or dark, instead of vodka?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ktb posted:

Coffee I'd probably leave a bit longer. I usually use coffee beans smashed up a bit and steep anywhere from a week to a month. I haven't used ground coffee but that would go quicker and you'd probably get a lot of flavour after a few days.

Black tea starts to taste weird after a few days so overnight to a day or two should be good. Herbal teas can take from a few days to a couple of weeks

Fresh basil is really fussy and overnight should be plenty. It only needs a few hours up to a couple days Leave it too long and it starts to taste grassy and kinda gross.

Crystallised ginger is almost impossible to over-steep so leave it as long as you want. Some of the commercially produced ginger beer cheats on the "fiery" taste by using capsaicin so if that's your bag you can stick a chilli in it for a few hours at the end to get the extra kick.

But it all depends on the spirits you're using and you'll have to taste it to be sure. Coffee is pretty forgiving and so are herbal teas so you can leave them longer if you want. With the basil and black tea if you still don't have strong enough flavour after a couple of days then you're best off filtering and adding more fresh tea/basil rather than leaving it for longer.

I've never tried corn but i'd treat it like fruit and expect it to take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks

Every time I've infused or brewed with peppers I get this vegetable taste. I wonder if they spike it with cinnamon. I've had ginger-cinnamon flavored mixers that were loving incredible.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ktb posted:

Cool, it sounds like the way I went on these is more or less in line with this post. I gave the coffee a few days, but I used quite a bit of coffee relative to the vodka. The green tea steeped for like 12 to 16 hours, also with an excess of tea. I've erred on the side of using a lot of whatever thing I'm steeping, figuring I can dilute with vodka and age a while longer if the flavor is too concentrated.

The corn is still a big question mark to me. It's been steeping for about two weeks now. I opened the jar a couple days ago to see what that smelled like, and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. It doesn't smell bad or like anything has gone wrong, but it also doesn't exactly smell like fresh corn, and I have no idea what to expect it to taste like. The main impression I got from the smell was that sweetening will probably help. I'm trying to reserve judgment until the stuff is actually ready to taste, but I'm also thinking a neutral spirit might not have been the best option. If this batch doesn't turn out completely undrinkable, I'm tempted to do a version with a bourbon base.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Toast Museum posted:

The corn is still a big question mark to me. It's been steeping for about two weeks now. I opened the jar a couple days ago to see what that smelled like, and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. It doesn't smell bad or like anything has gone wrong, but it also doesn't exactly smell like fresh corn, and I have no idea what to expect it to taste like. The main impression I got from the smell was that sweetening will probably help. I'm trying to reserve judgment until the stuff is actually ready to taste, but I'm also thinking a neutral spirit might not have been the best option. If this batch doesn't turn out completely undrinkable, I'm tempted to do a version with a bourbon base.

You did steep just the kernels, right? Anything green will taste like plants in days, if not hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

a cow posted:

You did steep just the kernels, right? Anything green will taste like plants in days, if not hours.

Yeah, just kernels. It's two large-ish ears' worth of white corn plus however much vodka to top up a one quart jar, maybe 500-650mL. I wonder if I should've gone a step further and pressed the kernels first, using just the corn milk for the infusion.