Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

ScaerCroe posted:

Does anyone here do any good Bourbon Infusions?

I have made date infused Makers Mark. I let finely chopped dried dates infuse in a fifth for just over a week, then strained. It is very sweet and nice for making a very sweet manhattan or old fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I know there is a degree of difficulty in making mixed spiced infusions - like apple pie, or pumpkin pie, etc. It can be difficult to get the right balance because the different spices infuse at different rates. While doing different batches of individual spice infusions and then mixing to taste works well, it takes a long time and usually requires aging to mellow out the spiciness.

If you are going to be sweetening the final product with simple syrup, an easy solution is to do the spice infusion in the syrup - not the spirit. I have found this to be very easy as the sugar syrup readily takes on the spice flavors and it is easy to add spices/re-infuse if it is too bland, and easy to dilute with un-infused syrup if it is too spicy.

I just finished a "holiday cordial" by infusing some vodka with orange zest and dried cranberries, making some simple syrup with fresh ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves, and then mixing to taste before bottling. This is way simpler than last years 4 different infusions and then a slightly under-aged product being poured at our Christmas gathering.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Bollock Monkey posted:

Just found out that I not only have more people ...

Honestly basil infusion takes 20 hours or so and is a refreshing hit of sunshine in the middle of winter when mixed with lemon and soda.

20+ fresh basil leaves in 750 ml of vodka. Check it at 18 hours and most definitely strain out the leaves by 36 hours or it gets all grassy and bitter. Then sweeten with 1:1 simple syrup.

Quick and delicious.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Bollock Monkey posted:

Hmm, this seems safer than making potential cough syrup! If I were to get some fresh mint to stick in as well, would that need any longer?

Honestly never tried mint myself. Because I am risk adverse I would infuse the two separately in different containers, then see if mixing them comes out to your liking. I assume the fresh mint would have a similar infusion time frame - less than 24 hours. I understand it has something to do with the alcohol stripping the tasty herbal oils first, then starts dissolving the plant fibers and you wend up with that chlorophyll "green" flavor that can be off-putting.

Fake edit - Googling says 48 hours for most herbs, but just check regularly. Higher proof alcohol works faster.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Kenning posted:

I flavor my basil infusions 2:1 spirits:simple at a 1:1 sugar:water simple ratio. They turn out perfectly.

Exactly what I do. Highly recommended.