Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

betaraywil posted:

Any tips for mint? Winter's coming around and I love me some peppermint schnapps, but it's always so syrupy I get a sugar headache from drinking it straight (or on the rocks. Mmm. Arctic.).

I'm ashamed to say that I don't actually know where mint flavors come from and always kind of assumed that "peppermint" was an invention of the candy industry. Can I just crush up some fresh mint and toss it in some Smirnoff?

You don't want to mangle mint leaves. If you do, the chlorophyll will leech out into your booze, bringing with it a kinda gross bitterness. Some of that is gonna happen anyway thanks to booze, but you really don't want to help it along. My suggestion is to gently roll leaves between your palms until they're fragrant, then toss them in to infuse. You probably want to check on it pretty frequently, I don't think it would take very long to infuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Most bartenders can't muddle mint for poo poo. Listen to this dude. Also mojitos taste so much better if you don't mangle up the mint.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Either way, crushing/tearing mint leaves is a terrible thing to do.

About how long should I do a cucumber infusion in gin? I was thinking probably a couple weeks, and then a month of aging, but I'm not sure.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
So I'm thinking of making a hot pepper infusion with 100 proof stoli. For cooking with, basically. And because someone bought the stuff for a party and no one is gonna drink it now, haha.
Should I de-seed the peppers first? Will this infuse pretty quickly with fresh peppers? Would it be better to use dry? Is this just a loving stupid idea?

Lyssavirus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 19, 2011

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Here, at least, you pay $15 for one vanilla bean at the grocery store. Two if you're lucky. Or you could by half a goddamn pound of the same beans online for five bucks more.