Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've made limoncello, arancello, and limecello before, and I've found good ways to ddink those. But now I sort of went bonkers here. I have cardamom, cloves, anise, coffee, habanero, hazelnut, and prickly pear. (All separate) I just have to figure out what to do with them all in terms of how to drink them. Prickly pear cosmo? Hazelnut is just going to be used as Frangelico. Anise could be good with coffee as a sort of Sambuca type of thing. The habanero is so potent I could just put a bit in to give anything a kick.

Really, I'm stuck on the cloves and cardamom. I figure some sort of warm wintery drink, obviously. Maybe in coffee or a hot cider? Anyone do something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

That Works posted:

Look at this noob who isn't pounding out a 750mL of whiskey every week.

He said small bottles, not tiny.

No, but for real, I've gotten some neat little bottles from Home Goods or Michael's/Joann's. I know I've seen boxes of swingtop bottles for fairly cheap at Home Goods. Joann's and Michaels always have some sort of 40% off coupon or something ridiculous like that (never pay full price at those stores. There are ALWAYS coupons.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 6, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Does ut matter if you let sonething age before vs after sweetening/cutting? I have some hazelnut filtering out now.

Also, I tried out the prickly pear, and while it tastes dangerously non-alcoholic, it also is a bit overripe. I may have made poor choices in selecting the fruits. And maybe 4 days was too long? Anywah, I'm just going to let it sit for a bit and try again later.

Also got some leftover brandy that I'm dying to put some orange zest in to.

I can't stop :shepicide:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Laminator posted:

When I posted that it had been steeping for about 10 days. It's probably around 3 weeks now, I'm going to filter it and add a little simple syrup to it today. Hope it didn't get bitter ...

e: came out great. Now anyone have recommendations on what to do with a bunch of vodka-soaked cocoa nibs?

Eat em.

Top a chocolate cake with em, then eat them with the cake.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My prickly pear infusions went poorly. It may have been a combination of using fruit that was a bit too ripe, and not having the bottles sitting in the best place. I realized that the jars it was in got hit by sunlight in the hours that I'm not home. Those two combined probably made for the sort of off taste in the final part. Looked pretty, though.

Coffee and habanero really smooths out after a few months. I only put in like 2 veins from a habanero, but it is quite punishing. I also just have straight up habanero that makes for a very kickin' bloody mary. There is a bottle of, uh... spices sitting that I forgot about. Anise, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and juniper. All at once in a jar of proof since October. It is... quite spiced.

This summer when there's a lot of cheap fruit around I want to try my hand at some shrubs. And other, alcoholic, non-vinegary things. And, as always, huge batches of limoncello, limecello, and arancello. Possibly trying some pomelocello too. People ask for those __-cellos for their birthdays or whatever, and I'm happy to oblige.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It is cello season. I started a pomelocello which is smelling good, and I just finished up a lime, which looks really vibrant. Strawberry and blackberry shrubs, too. Strawberry shrub and limecello is fuckin' excellent if you add some seltzer in there.

gently caress yeah cello season.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Accidentally got some lesser tequila, non pure agave blanco Sauza. I'm thinking of doing an infusion and then using bits of it with primary liquor on a marg, which is usually mezcal for me when I have it. How about dried mangos?

Would lime zest be grossly bitter or too hard to pull off?

Lime zest works fantastically in vodka for limecello. It would probably be great. But Mango does sound awesome for a marg.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Zest of 8 limes in 500ml of high proof vodka (I used everclear) , soaking for 2-3 days, then strain and cut it with 550ml water, 250ml sugar.

4 cups strawberries cut into tiny bits and 3.5 cups sugar sittin' together for about a day, strain the juice/syrup from the berry carcasses (but keep those because they fuckin' rule on waffles or toast or whatever!). Add in 4 cups of vinegar. I used white, but I could easily see apple cider vinegar replacing half that.

Add that limecello and strawberry shrub together, add in 3-4L of seltzer, add a chunk of ice, and get very drunk. I also had some mint leaves around because I thought they went nice together.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Oh, if you just want some citrus syrup type stuff, I see no reason not to just to the oleo saccharum. If you don't want boozy syrup, you could use some vinegar to keep some nastiness out of it. I do find I need to add something to the oleo saccharum to make sure I get all the sugars and oils off the zest when I strain it out. Because I for some reason hate adding water and cooking it off. Iunno, that's just me. You try it out.

Makes for a kickass topping for cheesecake and poo poo. Or add some lime syrup to a gin and tonic if you really like extra lime. Or to a Corona, if you're into that. Or oleo saccharum to make some sort of shandy type thing added to a beer.

No, but seriously. You should try out both methods and then report back.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Nooner posted:

I used to dump an bag of wild berry skittles into a handle of Prestige brand vodka for a delicious berry infused vodka that would get the party GOING

What a scrub, couldn't even separate the colors to make a fun rainbow of skittle vodka.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Nooner posted:

idk what all the poo poo floating on the top was I just called them flavor crystals

Next time try jolly ranchers. Use a separate bottle for each color of j.ranch and then add one to your cup of sprite and wake up with a fun hangover the next day.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Basil vodka is actually insanely good.

Garlic?..... eeeehhhh

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Anybody have experience making nocino walnut liqueur? Anything to watch out for that you can share from experience?

Everything I've read says you should harvest the walnuts mid-June through mid-July. The walnuts here apparently were late, but I might still be on the "too ripe" side of things. I'd like to try anyway, since I won't really get another chance til next year.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 20, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Tanith posted:

Current infusions today: grapefruit zest and juice (reduced volume by half in saucepan beforehand) in gin, orange and coffee rum.

Has anyone tried zesting clementines and either infusing with that or making oleo saccharum?

Funny, as I was just thinking about doing that yesterday. I've got lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit -cellos going on right now. I wonder how different the clementine would end up tasting. Maybe I'll try it out. I also wanted to try making cellos by making oleo saccharum first. Was a goon here trying that out? Anyone got a trip report on that? If not, maybe I'll try my next batch with that.

Anyway, with what I've got going now, I should end up with just about 2 gallons of ~35% abv cello. Hooray, Christmas booze!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

That honeydew vodka might go well in some champagne?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Started a batch of green walnuts to make nocino, thanks to the walnut trees in the yard at work. Planning for a month steep then 5 or 6 months of mellowing. If it turns out good, I got some Christmas gifts. Cause nocino tastes like straight up Christmas.

Can't wait.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Just started three cherry infusions, riffing from the danish-schnapps-recipes site in the OP.

Just cherries, cherries and some pits, and just cherry pits. Lettin' em infuse for 3 months in the nice, dim, cool, basement, then gonna let them sit for another 3 months to mellow. Hopefully I have something nice for the holiday times.

I also loving forgot about my nocino for an entire year like a god drat dumbass. Gonna have to strain that poo poo pronto and honestly probably put it back to mellow for some 5 drat years or something. Man I'm pissed at myself for that. I also have a spice infusion in a mason jar that's been going for literal years. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice. I'll probably use it as a bitters now, it's strong as hell, but I could see it going really well with whiskey.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The cherry liqueur is loving amazing :stare:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Flesh/Flesh+Pits/Pits are all good in their own ways. The one that's just the cherry pits is like amaretto trying to be Frangelico. In a good way. There's a little bit of bitterness to it? And I didn't try very hard at all to completely clean the pits of flesh, so there's a pink tinge to it. Just cherry flesh is probably my favorite as it stands right now. It's very simple and straight forward. Sweet (obviously) but not cloying, and an excellent flavor. Tempted to not even age this one, but I'm going to resist for now. The Flesh + Pits batch is good in that I can see how the mixture would be excellent together. But I'm wishing that I didn't make it as a mix and instead blended the two separately to get a ratio right. But I'll have to see how these taste after a couple months of mellowing. Right now I think I'd rather have more flesh flavor than pit flavor in there.

I strained the nocino and cut it with sugar and water, and with no aging holy hell is it bitter. God drat. Also, I'm lucky that my job has some walnut trees in the yard, so I just have to remember to harvest them. They only seem to fruit every other year, however.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I can't say I actually have much experience with infusing the flesh of fruits. But this cherry experiment is downright delicious. I tried a prickly pear tequila before that didn't work out so great. I think I left that in too long and it got an unpleasant vegetal taste? I don't quite remember what went wrong. Don't think I've ever had a perfumey outcome.

Oh yeah, cherries soaked in alcohol are dangerous and fun. I mean, that's obvious. But I also just didn't account for/realize that I'd have them afterward.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I can't wait for cherries to come into season and make a poo poo ton of that cherry liqueur again. I've got 500ml of the just-flesh version and while it's very delicious, it's definitely more one note than the one made with flesh and pits. I only made a tiny bit of just-pits, and didn't really have enough to do a ratio test. Instead I think I'll do three batches at the same time. One with 33% of the pits of the fleshed cherries in, one with 50% pits, and one 66% pits. And maybe go from there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

What would be the difference between the two end results if I had one bottle of strawberries sitting in alcohol, and one where I juice the strawberries and add that to the alcohol? My first thought is that some flavors that wouldn't readily leech into the alcohol might be present in the juice, whether that's a good thing, bad thing, or would even be noticed.

You can't exactly juice lemon zest or walnuts to make limoncello or nocino so it makes sense to leave the zest in the alcohol for a while, but would it be viable for something that you can juice?

Side Note 1: HAS anyone tried to do an oleo saccharum in vodka vs the standard zest in booze?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1132277838386749441

Challenge accepted.

Not pictured: also going for a head to head of zest in booze limoncello vs oleo saccharum limoncello

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1133056118748569601

Some progress on this week's experiments.

I had a heck of a time figuring out how much sugar I should be adding to the saccharum to try and make everything as equal as possible. Y'know, making it (zest+sugar)+water+alcohol=(zest+alcohol) +sugar+alcohol. I never actually thought about how much water and sugar I actually use since I mKe a big batch of 1:2 syrup and add that in til I'm near 70ish proof by rough volume calculation. But 1 part sugar plus 2 parts water doesn't give you 3 volumes of syrup. I know that's kinda obvious to most everyone. So I went to figuring that out by weight by measuring my granulated sugar, finding out about degrees Brix (which is cool) and arriving at the amounts written on the jars.

Also figured out where my last batch of cello went wrong. In a rush I did add 1 part sugar 2 parts water figuring I'd have 3 volumes of syrup to cut the cello. That's why it tasted so wildly different. And strong.

I also never weighed my zest before. Finally playing catchup with myself to maybe get something repeatable.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1133070896967671809

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 27, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You lucky gently caress. There's a link in the OP that's like Danish-schnapps-recipes or something. I found it on that site. From what I remember it was however many pitted cherries, cut in half. Take half of the pits removed, crush em in a bag, and throw em in as well. Cover in ever clear.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Oh god drat IT. I remember distinctly saying to myself "nah, I don't need to copy down this recipe, it's just in that site linked in the infusion thread OP."

From what I can gather from my notes and past posts, it's, as I said, a quantity of cherries (I remember them calling for tart cherries, but I only had access to sweet) cut in half, with pits set aside. Take half of those pits, crush them, and add them in along with the cherries. I poured in everclear until it was just covering the cherries. Give em a good shake, and let em sit for 3 months in a cool, dark place, occasionally shaking em up. Then I strained and diluted/sweetened with a weak, 1:4 sugar:water of slightly more volume than the booze to start, and added sugar from there (don't remember how much sugar I added in total, and apparently didn't write that down anywhere. Sorry.)

And I just got a few pounds of cherries to do this again. Oh well.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

So I was looking at that Danish schnapps recipe website and I'm super intrigued by the maple, oak, and dandelion ones. I haven't done anything like that and I'm guessing they're not common. I'd love to do those in the spring, and maybe gently caress around and do some birch, too. I went to collect some staghorn sumac to make an infusion of that, but I guess it's too wet/late because they were all gross, pale, and rotted.

I have very little going on in the way of infusions, and that's making me sad. So I've been deep diving into looking at what I should make next. Might be too late to have chestnut liqueur done for christmas time. Might make some banana rum, and blackberry infusion. They'll have plenty of time to mellow for some summer enjoyment.

Has anyone tried doing infusions in something other than booze? Ms Cookies and a couple of our friends don't drink, and I'd like to try and do some things for them so they don't miss out. I've made shrubs, grenadine, and freeze-distilled juiced honeydew and watermelon (loving HIGHLY recommend that if you haven't tried it) I've heard of infusing weed in glycerin/glycerol, but searching for glycerol infusion gives me either that or making essential oils and poo poo. OR being used to preserve and soften raisins? I dunno what flavors it would pull out that would differ from alcohol, and I know it's gonna be sweet anyway. Just gonna go for it because gently caress it, why not. But if anyone has experience with it, I'd appreciate input.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://web.archive.org/web/20050213040442/http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/maple.html

Maple blossom schnapps/liqueur turned out dangerously good. It's very close to a St Germain taste. Almost all of the maple trees here are done with their blossoms now, but if you have the opportunity, I'd definitely try this one out. I need to scrounge for more maple blossoms.

Here's the spent maple blossoms after straining. I'd definitely recommend using a cheese cloth or nut milk bag to get the little stuff, because the blossoms broke down a bit and gave off very small particulate.

And here I'm showing off the color/clarity after it was strained, but before it was cut. I used a weak 1:2 sugar:water syrup to dilute down to ~22-25%abv, and it was a bit sweet, so I may reduce that sugar next time.

While I've got momentum I want to try out some lilac liqueur after bothering my neighbors to snip some flower clusters.
https://www.moodymixologist.com/blog/foraged-cocktails-lilac-liqueur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My backyard. We had a windy storm that knocked a bunch of them out of the trees in large clumps, so I collected them from the ground and gave them a super good rinsing to get any grass, dirt, or schmutz off of em.