Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
Green apple infused gin is the best thing.

I've made a few citrus things too, the best of which was grapefruit vodka. The only drawback was that it turned a light yellow color and thus looked like a bottle of pee. Tasty though.

One day I will make limoncello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
I'm making some limoncello as a Christmas present, and it seems kind of... weak. It's been sitting for probably a week now. I zested the lemons instead of trying to peel off the zest/peel/whatever with a knife. I tasted it yesterday by just mixing a tiny amount with water (The zest is sitting in 190 proof grain alcohol so I'm not about to drink that straight.) and it was fine but a bit weak. I think I may have just added a bit too much water? (Obviously this will be more controlled when I add water + sugar to the whole batch.) And it may be different without any sweetener? But, how can I make it more lemon-y?

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Telamon posted:

Lots of zest and time is all you can do, really. Although just out of curiosity, what was the recipe you went by? I typically use the zest of 8-10 lemons for one 750ml bottle of spirit but I use 80-100 proof booze instead. If I was using 190 I'd double the amount of zest to balance the equal amount of water I'd be adding later. That's a lot of lemons.

The one I found asked for the same amount of lemons but for 190 proof. I used a liter of the stuff, so I think around 18-20 lemons. Should I just add more zest? I use the lemon juice (for other stuff) so it wouldn't really be a waste of lemons.

muscat_gummy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 14, 2011

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Joe Friday posted:

If you are in a fix and need to get it up to maximum lemon quickly, you can buy lemon extract and cooking stores and add that.

If lemon extract is ok, would lemon juice also be fine or would that result in something hideous? (Added to the final product along with sugar/water, not while the zest is hanging out and doing its thing.)

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

betaraywil posted:

I put lime juice in my aforementioned cilantro mistake. It was gross for any number of reasons, one of which could well have been the lime juice.

Honestly, the extract is probably made from zest.

Ok, that's fine then. I added 7(!) more lemons, and the bit I tasted because the bottle was about to overflow wasn't bad. Hoping to reach max lemon levels by Sunday, since I fly out on Monday and I'm pretty sure I can't have a bottle of 190 proof alcohol even in checked baggage. :(

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Help me! Help me!

What kind of quick infusions are there that can be done by Christmas?

I think when I made grapefruit vodka and orange vodka using entire slices or by poking holes in the fruits (can't remember), those were drinkable in a few days.

Green apple gin can also be ready within a week.