Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

It was oft-repeated advice in the old thread, but, for your pie type infusion, run infusions of each ingredient on their own, and experiment at the end with ratios (notes!) of each flavor to come up with something you really like.
The benefits are three fold:
If you over infuse something, you haven't ruined a whole batch
You can you can play with ratios to get something you really like
You can use the contributory flavor infusions as bases for other drinks, compositions

Plus you can feel like an alchemist or something with a bunch of pretty colored jars sitting around :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

If the prickly pears ripen up a bit before you stick them in anything, it's very likely you won't need any additional sweetening.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Frozen is actually good, the ice crystals pop the cells and you can infuse more quickly. Water content should be about the same, and the frozen stuff should be closer to ripe than the stuff you can get fresh right now

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Bonus tip: After infusing berries save them to use in drinks and/or freeze and eat to get positively blasted on frozen fruit. I've done this with gin blueberries.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I like turtles posted:

Bonus tip: After infusing berries save them to use in drinks and/or freeze and eat to get positively blasted on frozen fruit. I've done this with gin blueberries.

Robot Girlfriend posted:

I added a little simple syrup to it (homemade sugar water), and it has a much richer texture and a more pleasant taste, great advice! (further tinkering will be done after aging.)
I've also learned the harsh lesson not to absentmindedly snack on berries recently strained from your infusion. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking, but I walked away from the kitchen slurring.
:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

rarbatrol posted:

I decided to try an infusion with dried hibiscus flowers. I crammed as many as I could into the bottle and let it steep for 1 day, and out came an inky, magenta, tart substance that doesn't really taste like vodka anymore. It's really good with lemonade, too.
Yeah, hibiscus infuses ridiculously fast - also really good if you mix some strong lime infusion in there.