Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
So, I'm contemplating taking a run at limoncello, but I can't find unwaxed lemons anywhere. Is there a way to reliably remove the wax from waxed lemons? I assume I don't want to throw that into my infusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
What are everyone's thoughts on using frozen fruits for infusions? I would love to do a strawberry infusion to pair with my basil liqueur, but strawberries are way out of season here in increasingly chilly Ontario. I'm a little concerned that frozen berries will be too watery.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Skeleton posted:

I concur. And since you're going to be using higher proof alcohol to infuse, watering it down a little isn't going to ruin it.

What if I'm just using regular vodka? Should I be concerned? (It's difficult to get higher-proof alcohol at the Hamilton LCBOs...)

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

lonelywurm posted:

Not just Hamilton. I went through every vodka the LCBO has online and found only one with an ABV above 40% (well, that was under $30 for 750mL). Anyway, if you're interested, it's called Prince Igor Extreme, it's 45%, and apparently it's everywhere: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/inventory/searchResults.do?language=EN&itemNumber=604926

Hey, thanks!

Also, here's a really dumb beginner question: my basil vodka is sort of tea-coloured and seems like it has little...I don't know, fibre fragments? floating in it. Did I gently caress up? It tastes terrific.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Awesome. Gonna mix it with some strawberry for the best drat after-dinner drink ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Mixed my strawberry and basil infusions last night - delicious. The strawberry alone was too sweet and fruity for me, but the basil adds a complexity and a kind of herbal flavour that I really loved. Yum.