Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Anyone infused flowers before? I'm thinking of doing elderflower when they come in (it's spring here) and maybe rose petal in summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Kenning posted:

They can work. They infuse better when they've been dried, in my experience, but you could also just through in some flowers and hope for the best. If you're using fresh flowers I would just barely cover them with vodka. With dried you can use substantially less. Fresh will take a week or two, dried will take a couple days.

Thanks. I might skip the elderflowers (elderflower cordial ahoy) and just play with roses in summer.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Bacon and black pepper infused vodka turned out really well. Made it to give away as a Christmas present, but I think I'll make some for me now.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

What's this? A stupidly overexposed picture of freshly picked roses in a bowl. The pink ones, which you can't see very well, are particularly fragrant. So I ripped their petals off and drowned them in vodka. There clearly weren't enough of them, so I drove around abandoned suburbs (earthquake damage) and picked the most fragrant red roses I could find (yes, I felt guilty).
The yellow and pink petals got about 36 hours steeping, the red petals about 24 hours. The result was this

Which I added about a quarter of a cup of 2:1 sugar syrup to.
It's really promising. Fragrant, subtle and complex, not in your face like rosewater. The colour's gorgeous. I think it'll take a couple of months ageing to truly come together. It's for a friends birthday on Saturday, so I'll just hope that she believes me about the ageing. Definitely worth doing. I think I'll do cherry blossoms next spring.
Edit: Goddamn it, imgur.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 25, 2012

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The finished product, hangin' out in its natural habitat. My next task is to make an infusion that actually fills the drat bottle once its finished.

Go away. You are a cat. You don't even drink vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

tFUCKINGmesis posted:

That looks beautiful, drat. Did you make the label?

I've got some dried cranberries sitting in vodka; they'll enter their second week of steeping tomorrow. Might not be enough cranberries in there. Not sure.
I cheated. The label was a business card that arrived with some vintage clothes I bought. I just wrote the name of the booze on it and stuck it on. Finally, a use for other peoples cute business cards.