Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Girlfriend
May 23, 2010
I'm working on a blackberry brandy to give as gifts around the holidays. The recipe had it steep for two months, and I'm just to the end of that (it will be filtered and aged in the next few days) It got a taste test yesterday, and I'm finding it has a bit too much alcoholic 'bite' to it, and I wouldn't mind a thicker texture. Any suggestions on how to improve this batch, or get said outcome in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Girlfriend
May 23, 2010

Ktb posted:

If you don't mind it being a bit sweeter then make up some saturated sugar solution and dilute it to taste with that. This will give you the thick liqueur texture and help a little with the alcoholic bite. The harsher alcohol flavours should also be removed with ageing so don't worry about it too much. You can always dilute/sweeten to taste after you have aged it to remove any residual harshness.

The first batch of sloe gin I made is ready but when I tasted it to sweeten it was clearly not sloe gin. I looked on the internet and went back to look at the tree and I have now realised that I have in fact made bullace gin. It is absolutely delicious with a lot of complex spicy flavour and I will now be making that every year I can. The batch that will be ready in a month or so is definitely sloe gin so it will be nice to compare them. I also turned the leftover bullaces from the infusion into a pot of delicious but very alcoholic jam. Definitely a desert jam not a breakfast jam but still very tasty!

Notsoape; When I made the apple and cinnamon brandy I pulled the cinnamon out and let the apples infuse for a few extra weeks to get the combined flavour.

I added a little simple syrup to it (homemade sugar water), and it has a much richer texture and a more pleasant taste, great advice! (further tinkering will be done after aging.)
I've also learned the harsh lesson not to absentmindedly snack on berries recently strained from your infusion. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking, but I walked away from the kitchen slurring.