Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

muscat_gummy posted:

Green apple infused gin is the best thing.

I'm planning on putting up a batch of this tomorrow, thanks for the idea. Obviously the seeds should come out; what about the peel? How fine did you slice the apples?

I also want to put up some peach brandy. Again, stone comes out, skins stay on?

Great thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll probably leave the apple skin on (hoping to get some of that great color and tang) and dice it into small cubes like Nicol Bolas suggested.

I actually thought that peach pits had enough cyanide in them to be dangerous, which is why I was planning to leave them out. After doing a little more research it looks like that's completely unfounded; you'd need to eat 10s of kgs of pits every day long-term for it to hurt you. Would it be a bad idea to mix the flesh and the pits in the infusion? Obviously the peaches will be very sweet, but I don't really know what effect the pits will have. I'm hoping to make something fairly sweet and easy-drinking, honestly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.

(That came out huge, my cameraphone is weird with pics)

Seen below the jars are two fruit pyramids. I'm thinking kiwi vodka to be sweetened into a liqueur, and the green cactus pears (4/a buck at the store, I have zero experience with these) also into a vodka and also sweetened.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kenning posted:

If your fruit floats you can turn the jar upside-down every couple days and then back until the fruit is totally soaked in vodka, which should prevent the mold.

This is what I've been doing, and it seems to be working so far. I give them a gentle shake when I turn them for good measure.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

IANAE, but from reading this thread you may want to do the strawberries separate from the vanilla and then combine at the end. Vanilla seems to steep in days instead of weeks.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Started a wild blackberry gin today, using frozen fruit. It immediately turned almost black :lsd: I cannot wait for that one to finish so I can sip it with tonic. Beautiful.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That's something that I've been looking forward to with my blueberries and strawberries. I'm thinking that they would make a nice ice cream topping if I blended and strained them and reduced with some sugar. Boozelicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kenning posted:

Homemade basil liqueur is the only thing I think in life that is at once the easiest, quickest, and best thing. So, so good.

I'm probably doing this for my next round. How many leaves did you steep, and for how long? You said liqueur, did you sweeten? How much?

Questions!