Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
After reading the old thread, I knocked together some plum vodka. Nothing too fancy, just a bunch of plums in a glass jar and vodka to cover. What was interesting to me was how it changed as it infused. It got tart first, somewhat like the skin of a plum, and only later picked up the sweeter plum flesh flavor. I stuck it in a drawer for about a month, strained, and then back in the drawer for another month to age. I sweetened it in the end with a simple syrup, though I accidentally went a bit too sweet. It did turn out to be a great color, and very tasty despite a tetch sweeter than I'd prefer. Did some cucumber right before the heat up and killed all my crop in August. Also has a slight bit of sprite melon in it. I'll probably crack it open this weekend to see how it fared. The pale green isn't quite as appealing as the purple though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Ah, that's an idea. We get a ton of green pecans around come the season, which I realize is basically now.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bartolimu posted:

I've had some really drat good homemade nut cordials in Europe. When I asked how they were made, it turned out to be fairly simple. Take green nuts (underripe nuts, in some cases still in the surrounding husks*), soak them in vodka or other neutral spirit for six weeks, strain/filter and add a lot of sugar. I have a batch of green almonds about ready to be strained off now, will report back once I have it finished. As for where to get green nuts if you don't have a tree, I stumbled on them in a small Persian market. Farmers' markets might be another possibility.

Started a batch of green pecans yesterday. Incidentally, the whole, "Green pecan husks can stain your hands black" is not an old wives tale.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bartolimu posted:

I strained my green almond vodka yesterday. It smells like artificial banana flavor and tastes terrible. :saddowns: I'll put it in storage for a while and see if it gets better. My guess is I oversteeped or that almonds just don't work for that application. It might require further experimentation if I can't get this batch to taste good in time.

Huh. Good to know. I'll keep an eye on things then. Hope that aging improves.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Has anyone tried steeping fresh corn? There's a place here that uses corn milk in a few cocktails, and sweet corn from a farmer's market sounds like it could be really as an infusion. Anything peculiar to corn that I should be aware of if I do this?

I haven't done corn, but that sounds good. I kinda suspect you could get away with steeping husk and cob and silk and still just eat the corn.