Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001
I had half a bottle of cheapish vodka lying around, so when I read this thread, the vodka suddenly had a purpose. I'm steeping 1/2 teaspoon of good quality coffee & 1/4 of a vanilla bean in it, I plan to filter it out after 7 days.
The flavour development has been amazing so far (I'm 5 days in) - what was a horrible solventy vanilla concoction seems to be starting to mellow out, allowing the coffee to share the stage.
However, it is still a very powerful in-your-face taste that might be considered too strong to thoroughly enjoy. Now I'm wondering if I should :
1. dissolve some sugar in water to mix with this when bottling
-or-
2. let it age enough that the flavours mellow out to a more palatable level

Any advice?

Also, if #1 is the way to go, does anyone have some suggestions for how much water/sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

Kenning posted:

I would definitely recommend aging it at least a couple weeks before sweetening. Also make sure you filter the poo poo out of that, you don't want grounds in your liqueur.

To sweeten you'll need to make a syrup, since sugar dissolves poorly in ethanol. I typically sweeten with a syrup made of equal parts water and sugar (you can just shake them together in a jar), since it will also dilute the liqueur to a more drinkable proof. A richer syrup is useful when you don't want more dilution, and just want to up the sugar a little.

A good thing to do when you're sweetening is to reserve a bit of your infused spirit and sweeten the rest, so you can add it back in case you go overboard with the sugar. Can save you from ruining a batch.

Thanks for this, I let it go for a week and the flavours mellowed out a lot. I mixed 100g sugar in 250ml hot water, then mixed it in to the approx 300ml of spirit I had.

This is freaking delicious.

There's still room for improvement - The coffee doesn't come through as much as I'd like, next time I do this I might give the coffee 3 or 4 days head start on the vanilla.

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

fine-tune posted:

Where is everyone sourcing their vanilla beans from?

The spice section of the supermarket. Any supermarket.

I don't think we do things all that differently in Australia.

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

Penguingo posted:

I know that the best thing to do with this is just taste it to see how it's going, but the aging's going to have an effect on the final flavour - with that in mind, has anyone got any idea how long I should be infusing these pods if I don't want it to be the main flavour at the end of the process?

I've done a coffee/vanilla infusion a couple of times now. I used 1/2 a pod in a 700ml (a fifth), for varying lengths of time :

- 3 days: The coffee was the dominant flavour
- 5 days: Vanilla reigns supreme.

Given the amount of vanilla you've put in, I'd go a bit less than 3 days, maybe even only 2.

Edit : And you gotta let vanilla age. It's harsh as hell if you don't. 2-3 weeks seems to do the trick.

Wardhog fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 16, 2012

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

Lolitas Alright! posted:

We've got a cayenne plant growing in our garden that'll yield in August, and I want to do an infusion for some Christmas gifts.

Now, I know vodka's the standby, but I also really like the taste of beer in a pot of chili, and I always use cayenne in my chili. Would it even be possible to infuse some pale ale with fresh cayenne?

I've got a few brewing friends that have bottled a chili along with their beer, so yes, you can do it.
I can't remember if they sterilised the chili first, but it would probably be a good idea. Boil it for 10 minutes first.

I don't know how you'd go with already-packaged beer, but you can definitely do it with homebrewed beer.

PS. The only thing you could taste was chili, it only *looked* like beer.

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

Nicol Bolas posted:

A week is probably too long if you want any detectible apple flavor left. Cinnamon infused VERY quickly and tastes so strong it can easily override other flavors ... :ohdear:

Vanilla's much the same. I've made a vanilla/coffee infusion a few times now, and have found if vanilla is left in a week, it's all you can taste. 3 days vanilla, 7 days coffee lets you still taste the coffee.

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

Bullasorsa posted:

Thinking about doing my first infusion as well, something nice and rum-based. Am I reading this correctly, 3 days with coffee and 7 days - to infinity with vanilla would be good with something like 500ml dark rum? Is there a big difference with the coffee (cold brewing, just tossing ground coffee into the rum, grind size)? Have you sweetened your versions?

If I want to also do a rasberry vodka, does it have anything else but just (frozen in this case) rasberries steeping for a month, removal and sweetening?

Other way around. I found it best to do 3 days vanilla and 7+ coffee because the vanilla beans are capable of overpowering everything else (although I did it with vodka, so I don't know how it's going to go with rum). After the infusions, I let it mellow for a couple of weeks, then sweetened with the same amount of 1:1 sugar/water syrup.

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001
I luuuurves me some Lapsang Souchong tea. Thinking of infusing in vodka and mixing in with sugar/water syrup to make some sweet smoky tea sippin' liquor.

Can anyone who's had a go at tea infusions provide any tips?

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Probably a dumb question, but would tea bags work? Like, the fruit teas?

No idea about fruit teas, but when someone here suggested tea only needs to infuse for a couple of hours - that was good advice.

Wardhog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wardhog
Nov 30, 2001

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Good luck, a lapsang souchong infusion sounds like it could be awesome!

I think it's good, but it's not for everyone.

Quite a medicinal taste that not everyone will like, but if you grew up liking the flavour of Elixophyllin, you're going to be quite happy.