Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've had some really drat good homemade nut cordials in Europe. When I asked how they were made, it turned out to be fairly simple. Take green nuts (underripe nuts, in some cases still in the surrounding husks*), soak them in vodka or other neutral spirit for six weeks, strain/filter and add a lot of sugar. I have a batch of green almonds about ready to be strained off now, will report back once I have it finished. As for where to get green nuts if you don't have a tree, I stumbled on them in a small Persian market. Farmers' markets might be another possibility.

I also have some vodka I soaked with Thai bird chiles that turned out to be far spicier than I expected. It should make some very nice bloody marys at some point.

*Hazelnuts are apparently soaked husks and all. I'm doing the same with the green almonds I found. I'm not sure of the flavor profile or possible toxin load of nut husks, though, so it might be a good idea to do research before expanding the practice. Walnut husks get really nasty as they ripen, from what I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

what is this posted:

Fun tip: do mini forced infusions with nitrous oxide.

• Buy an iSi Whipped Cream Maker
  • Put your alcohol inside, from around a cup to a quart
  • Add whatever you want to infuse
  • Charge with nitrous
  • Wait 30 minutes, shake every so often
  • Release the gas (do not spray out the liquid. release slowly.)
  • Strain out your infused liquor!

You're in and out in under an hour. Works great. Not quite the same taste as a long infusion, but great for playing around with flavors. The best part is you don't have to waste a whole bottle of liquor to find out whether something will taste good - you can do a cup, decide you like it, and then do a larger volume.

Here's a neat article on that method: http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/08/11/infusion-profusion-game-changing-fast-%E2%80%98n-cheap-technique/

According to them, for a lot of stuff a 1-minute soak at pressure is best.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ben Nevis posted:

Started a batch of green pecans yesterday. Incidentally, the whole, "Green pecan husks can stain your hands black" is not an old wives tale.

I strained my green almond vodka yesterday. It smells like artificial banana flavor and tastes terrible. :saddowns: I'll put it in storage for a while and see if it gets better. My guess is I oversteeped or that almonds just don't work for that application. It might require further experimentation if I can't get this batch to taste good in time.

My Thai bird chile vodka, on the other hand, turned out spectacularly. It's very spicy, mostly up front but with a decent afterburn. There's a strong green/vegetable component to the flavor as well. It should make for some amazing bloody marys.