Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apologies if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what brand of vodka do you all recommend as a base? Luksusowa is my go-to vodka because as near as I can tell, the quality-to-price ratio is the best on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, when you guys talk about pith making an infusion bitter, are you talking about the amount of pith you get when you throw in the entire peel, or the amount I get because I'm not good enough with a paring knife to get a perfectly pithless strip of orange peel? The latter hasn't ruined my Old Fashioned.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm trying out the apples and cinnamon + brandy right now. I'm pleased with the cinnamon flavour after having steeped it for a couple weeks, but the apples have been steeping for about a month now and I'm just not getting enough apple flavour. Ought I to take the apple solids out and replace them before steeping another month? How much alcohol am I losing by doing it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was thinking I might finish the steeping process by topping it up with some apple cider before the straining process; does that sound crazy? With stuff like this, I'm always tempted to mess with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've already removed the cinnamon, since I was getting good flavour on that front after a couple weeks. I think that I will just add more apple and let it steep another month or two. I've been keeping it refrigerated throughout the process.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The liqueur turned out quite well. Now, what can I do with these diced up, booze-soaked apples?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Just started infusing my first ever batch of limoncello. My fiancee wants to add fresh lavender leaves to it. What say you, oh thread?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've used agave nectar. Unfortunately, it imparts a maple flavour that is too strong to complement delicate flavours, such as apple.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd like to steep some cloves in whiskey and sweeten it with honey. I don't want the clove to be the dominant flavour, though. How long should I steep them? I have about 3 tablespoons of dried cloves; about an ounce, I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just put the little plastic bag of cloves in my liquor cabinet and now the whole thing smells like Christmas! Which is not bad. Thanks for the advice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've gotten mine from World Market, if that store's in your area. A lot of variety and a lot of different labels, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Honey has its own, strong flavour, which you may discover to your chagrin if you try to infuse it along with something that has a mild flavour, like apples. I made my father a honey clove whiskey for Christmas, and adding the honey was the last thing I did before bottling it to age.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nicol Bolas posted:

Honestly, there's very little chance those will turn out horrible--non-citrus fruits are almost impossible to gently caress up. The main danger is just straining too early and ending up with only vaguely fruity, not flavorful liquor for all your waiting.

I've read that some fruits, like strawberries, infuse so well that waiting too long will give you liquor that's more like perfume than fruit. Anyone had any experience with this?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hold on, I'm writing this down. How many strawberries and how long for the basil? Do you infuse the basil after the strawberries?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's no decent sloe gin available anywhere within reach of me. Can anybody tell me how to make that one, specifically?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Same thing happens every time I make my apple pie bourbon. You cannot taste the alcohol.
Can you share that recipe? I've been making an apple honey bourbon and a honey clove bourbon the past two Christmases and got good results.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm making limoncello, but instead of just putting the zest into the liquor, I macerated it with some simple to make oleosaccharum and draw out the oils. Since I added sugar to it, should I be keeping the whole container refrigerated instead of letting it sit out at room temp?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks! Yeah, I'm just going to let it sit until Christmas Eve before I filter it and add the rest of the sugar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I had a similar issue with my vanilla infusion. Splitting the pods and leaving it a long time resulted in a urine looking pale yellow, so I added honey to get a richer colour and flavour instead of just making vanilla vodka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You definitely don't want powder; gently caress filtering that out later. I make mine by putting a couple cinnamon sticks into a jar of whiskey for about two weeks.

If, by any chance, you decide to use cloves, whole cloves infuse very very quickly. 24 hours is more than enough for cloves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Maybe my cinnamon sticks were dried-out and crappy; I didn't get them to infuse nearly as quickly as I had hoped.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've always suspected that some of the more potent ginger beers out there were spiking it with cayenne pepper.

I'm definitely going to try the crystallized ginger. What do you think of putting it in rum, light or dark, instead of vodka?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

Started a batch of green walnuts to make nocino, thanks to the walnut trees in the yard at work. Planning for a month steep then 5 or 6 months of mellowing. If it turns out good, I got some Christmas gifts. Cause nocino tastes like straight up Christmas.

Can't wait.
I've got to try this next time they're in season. How many walnuts to how much liquor, and do you add any seasoning?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can never get green walnuts when they're in season to make nocino.

Which batch of the cherry is the best? I assume the pits and the flesh are very different.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've never infused whole fruit because I was warned that infusing it for too long gives you perfume instead of fruit liquor. Do you ever find that to be the case?

The closest I've come to using fruit is candied ginger, which is ridiculously easy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, limoncello is easy. The main thing is to strain it carefully.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, ginger liqueur is extremely easy too. I'm on my second batch. You just steep the stuff in the liquor for a month and then filter. If you want, you can make liqueur by taking the steeped ginger and steeping it further in some simple syrup to add back into the mixture. As with limoncello, the only real work is in straining a couple times through a few layers of cheesecloth to minimalize sediment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's your process for cinnamon whiskey?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was very pleased with how my blood orange liqueur turned out, and I have a bunch more in the fridge. Thinking about filling up a gallon jug with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, I just put the cherries in the liquor and leave them there for a month.