Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

betaraywil posted:

I've seen a couple of those--Skye does one, and I think Stoli. I don't know how you'd do it in a non-industrial setting, though. Maybe make a buttercream frosting and bake it, then infuse that? Am I making any sense here?
I'd just loosely fill 3/4 of a mason jar with hunks of cake (with icing), fill it with vodka, shake it around and every couple of hours re-shake it before eventually running it through some cheesecloth then a brita.

I find super sweet/candy/cake flavors can be extracted really drat easily with a minimum of effort. I'd probably do it in white rum too, just to add to the sweetness of cake. But I don't really like doing sweet infusions, it's been years since I last tried, so v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This might sound dumb, but I want to make some black pepper bitters - cracked pepper can already add a decent bitter flavor, would I be able to just fill a mason jar with a hell of a lot of black pepper and fill with vodka and leave a week? Or would it be better to maybe get something smoky, like cedar or oak chips, char them, drop them in the cracked pepper and throw in a handful of a mild bittering agent like wormwood or angelica root before adding vodka, to try and get a more balanced flavor? I'm not familiar with infusing black pepper, and I'm fairly new to the world of creating bitters.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, I think so. I followed an online blog (Yes I know I dumb). I basically finely chopped a ton of bittersweet chocolate, and let it sit, with daily shaking for like 3 weeks. Then strained. Then orange zest for about 2 weeks. Then strained.

Orange zest for 2 weeks? You need sugar. Basically consider what you've made a very fuckin altered -cello. Make a bunch of simple syrup and start stirring it in until you've made yourself a sippable sweet thing. Maybe even use some raw cacao nibs while making the syrup, just to add a bit more chocolate flavor?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

thotsky posted:

Need to make more dill schnapps, that's just dangerously good.
How much more involved is your recipe than this: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/dill-schnapps-427203

I used to use danish-schnapps-recipes.com all the time but the site isn't around and I'm intrigued.