Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Now aging:
41g fresh creeping thyme in 500ml vodka, infused for 20hrs, sweetened with 250ml 1:1 simple syrup. Nice fresh green color with a tiny hint of yellow.

Awaiting sweetener and aging:
2x 33g lilac blossoms, infused separately for 3hrs each in 500ml vodka. Strong honey smell, very sweet and bitter flavor that I hope mellows with time. Sickly gold color.

Still infusing:
183g bright red rhubarb stalks, diced, in 500ml vodka. Infusion turned pink within a day. Tastes very rhubarb-y with very little tartness whatsoever after 7 days.

Next up:
-brandy and vodka orange liqueur
-sweet and dry vermouth with dandelion root, yarrow, orange peel, coriander seed, lemon balm

Gonna be a good summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Olpainless posted:

A general question for the thread - I've experimented with a couple of infusions in the past (vodka with cinnamon and crystallised ginger, a raspberry vodka, a coffee liqueur, and a couple of spiced rums), and I've had a request for a pineapple based infusion. Any recommendations or tips regarding this? I'm considering white rum as a base, but I'm a bit wary that it seems like it'll have a fine line between tasty and overpowering, and also if there's anything complimentary that might round the whole thing off.

And I myself would start with white rum for sure. Spiced is already kind of infused and the flavors in there would probably overpower your pineapple. Be prepared to add a little citric acid if it doesn't taste tart.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Jothan posted:

My wife got a lemon balm plant and it's been growing great and now there is too much lemon balm is there an alcohol I can stick it in?

Took me a while to see this but lemon balm is weird. I've approached it like mint or basil and steeped it for 24 hours or less. Anything longer gets kind of nasty, but even with a short maceration it just ends up herby and still doesn't taste or smell anything like the original plant. Aging the spirit after maceration also seems to do nothing to improve it.