Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lmao this looks like it was edited to be longer as a joke in multiple places but i know it wasnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
In this episode of One Piece, Luffy spends an entire episode toying with his opponent that he could have beaten in one hit for maximum mean spiritedness.

Had to re-read that half chapter to recall how it really went down and yep, Luffy dodges the three attacks and then one shots Urashima.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Indiana_Krom posted:

In this episode of One Piece, Luffy spends an entire episode toying with his opponent that he could have beaten in one hit for maximum mean spiritedness.
Doesn't help that a small girl had just been kidnapped by one of the Four Emperors' men and for all he knows is at risk of being killed. Way to go, Luffy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

TheLoneStar posted:

Doesn't help that a small girl had just been kidnapped by one of the Four Emperors' men and for all he knows is at risk of being killed. Way to go, Luffy.

It's a good thing he has impeccable aim when shot putting sumos.

It's also a good thing that the villain spends what seems like an eternity asking for pincers multiple times, threatening her with them multiple times, and then finally lightly pulling on her cheeks before getting knocked out from across town by someone who doesn't even know who he is or where he is.

Also they already know everything about her power. Not sure what she's hoping to hide. She might as well had stalled for time. I guess she didn't even need to though...

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Had to re-read that half chapter to recall how it really went down and yep, Luffy dodges the three attacks and then one shots Urashima.
That's what I thought! Like, I know they need to stretch for time but making these fights look like struggles when they're actually laughably easy is really gonna skew things when they get to actual struggles down the line.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's what I thought! Like, I know they need to stretch for time but making these fights look like struggles when they're actually laughably easy is really gonna skew things when they get to actual struggles down the line.

This isn’t even the first time the anime’s done something like this (the Strawhats tore through Hody and his goons pretty easily back in the manga version of Fishman Island if I recall correctly).

Instead of just doing straight filler arcs in between the anime instead just chooses to stretch out single chapters to absurd lengths in order to fill time (not to mention that at least 5 minutes of each episode are taken up by the opening and recap alone)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 23, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I want to think that the anime is getting better about these type of scenes. Like even if something takes longer than it does in the manga, they at least try to make it entertaining to watch. This...This is just awful. It's Dressrosa level bad.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Having luffy struggle for almost a minute to not awkwardly fall out of the sumo ring caused me to die a little inside.

I don't think there has been any lower of a moment than that in this entire series.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
what sucks the most is that its a really great very brief moment in the manga

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Having luffy struggle for almost a minute to not awkwardly fall out of the sumo ring caused me to die a little inside.

I don't think there has been any lower of a moment than that in this entire series.

I still consider the Enies Lobby bridge scene repeating well past ad nauseum to be the lowest point in the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I still consider the Enies Lobby bridge scene repeating well past ad nauseum to be the lowest point in the series.

Enies Lobby is really where the current format of the anime started to take shape if you think about it. And yeah, doing a multi episode long clip show intercut with the same footage replayed about 5 or 6 times didn’t help much either.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Enies Lobby is really where the current format of the anime started to take shape if you think about it. And yeah, doing a multi episode long clip show intercut with the same footage replayed about 5 or 6 times didn’t help much either.

I said it before, but it really ripped the emotional impact out of the scene. Robin is one my favorite characters, so I found it especially disappointing.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think this still takes the cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weO9OlIiMnA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It was so bad that Toei blocked it in the US :v:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Julias posted:

It was so bad that Toei blocked it in the US :v:
They auto block videos over a certain length which... speaks volumes.

Watch it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ppplR8Bct95xHcnBtwZ3KvKj8FHIX-dW

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
While I agree that it's egregious, I'd say that them padding out a moment to build tension works way more effectively than stretching out comedy bits to the point of being no longer funny, or making cakewalk fights seem like struggles, which ruins the power balancing. What they could have done to fix that particular scene was to simply animate Oars shaking during close ups of his body and show more ice cracking, as it would build up the tension more and make it feel like things are actually happening in comparison. Also as an aside, dub Moria's voice is god awful.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Issho walks to the door of the bar for at least 25 minutes in his introductory episode.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

People say this, but the majority of Enies Lobby actually adapted 2 chapters per episode. They would do this while sprinkling in filler scenes here and there, entire filler episodes and occasionally padding like the bridge scene. Also, the longest recaps in the entire series, reaching up to 7 minutes.

However if you judge it purely on adaptation of canon material, it's some of the best pacing One Piece has ever had.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So when did the current pacing schedule of the anime really start then, Marineford? Or has it just been there all along to varying degrees and it only became really noticeable in recent years?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 24, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found most of Skypeia pretty insufferable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
skypia has a bit of good content in it, spread over like 100 episodes for seemingly no reason, which seems to have been a template for things going forward.

the fact that it comes straight after the best 150 episodes of one piece doesn't help either :v: water 7 and enies lobby are pretty good tho, which makes skypia even worse in hindsight.

at this point i'll reiterate that i'm super glad one pace exists.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The end of Enies Lobby is when they started consistently doing 1chapter/episode. Marineford hit a new low of .75 chapters/episode, and sadly, it seems Wano is determined to only adapt half a chapter or less per episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So was Romance Dawn based on something Oda made or was it an anime exclusive thing? Either way, that was kind of fun and I'd sort of like to see more stories set in that particular universe.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

So was Romance Dawn based on something Oda made or was it an anime exclusive thing? Either way, that was kind of fun and I'd sort of like to see more stories set in that particular universe.

It was the original one shot Oda did that got One Piece the greenlight for serialization. Basically a prototype, or an alternative universe version of One Piece.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

I'd be down for more Romance Dawn, seemed to have some interesting ideas. I'd rather it was worked on as a separate project though, instead of taking up space in the regular series - it's stretched out too much as is!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd be down for more Romance Dawn, seemed to have some interesting ideas. I'd rather it was worked on as a separate project though, instead of taking up space in the regular series - it's stretched out too much as is!

Speaking of alternate universes, the episodes they did early on where Luffy is a cop back in feudal Japan weren't that bad either as I recall. But yeah, I'd agree on keeping them separate from the main anime.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just started watching this show, it's pretty good! I can't wait to get caught up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are over 900 episodes of this series currently, it’d probably be quicker to just read the manga honestly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb posted:

There are over 900 episodes of this series currently, it’d probably be quicker to just read the manga honestly.

I'm watching it pretty quickly. I've been doing one episode a day for the past couple weeks. I'm excited to see Luffy beat up Klahadore tomorrow.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Gripweed posted:

I'm watching it pretty quickly. I've been doing one episode a day for the past couple weeks. I'm excited to see Luffy beat up Klahadore tomorrow.

Well we'll see you in 10 years when you're caught up!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gripweed posted:

The anime is a pretty good entry-way into the series, but I sincerely recommend switching over to the manga either after the Eines Lobby arc or the Sabondy arc. The pacing will get bad to the point where it actively ruins the comedy, tension, and character fights.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Just a heads up, you will be at it for literal years at that pace. The good news is that for around the first 200ish episodes the anime is pretty good and adds a lot of cool stuff. For example the Arlong park walk is an anime only addition and it is incredibly memorable.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
At a rate of one episode per day one would catch up to the anime current in a few weeks short of three years from now.

I'd drop the anime by Thriller Bark or no later than the end of that arc. Start over with the manga from the beginning, especially in the later arcs the manga has way more punch than the anime because of how badly the anime drags everything out.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
A note on all the people objecting to watching the anime: There's an edited version called One Pace that trims down the fat and matches the pacing to about the same level as the early anime episodes. You should switch to it when you hit the Enies Lobby arc, rather than reading the manga, if you like the anime.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There's no need to catch up, and don't worry about the future until anything like the animation or pacing start to bother you. THEN you can swap to the manga. Until then, just watch it and enjoy it at your pace. Welcome to the crew!

And feel free to post impressions as you go, we love that poo poo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In 2014 I watched one piece from episode one to current in just over 4 months. That was with 2 episodes a day and more on the weekends with a few marathons thrown in.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
one piece is far enough from ending that theres no reason to rush to finish watching it

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really surprised that they just plopped Romance Dawn right there in the middle of nothing. I would expect it to air as a special or a movie or something. Not just a random filler episode.

I was also surprised how different it was from the current story. I wonder what the interval was between the drafts.

Also, I thought they already did Romance Dawn at some point? With like Captain Pinkbeard or something.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here's what I found looking up info on Wikipedia:

quote:

One Piece: Defeat Him! The Pirate Ganzack!was produced by Production I.G for the 1998 Jump Super Anime Tour and was directed by Gorō Taniguchi.[58] Luffy, Nami, and Zoro are attacked by a sea monster that destroys their boat and separates them. Luffy is found on an island beach, where he saves a little girl, Medaka, from two pirates. All the villagers, including Medaka's father have been abducted by Ganzack and his crew and forced into labor. After hearing that Ganzack also stole all the food, Luffy and Zoro rush out to retrieve it. As they fight the pirates, one of them kidnaps Medaka. A fight starts between Luffy and Ganzack, ending with Luffy's capture. Meanwhile, Zoro is forced to give up after a threat is made to kill all the villagers. They rise up against Ganzack, and while the islanders and pirates fight, Nami unlocks the three captives. Ganzack defeats the rebellion and reveals his armored battleship. The Straw Hat Pirates are forced to fight Ganzack once more to prevent him from destroying the island.

A second film, One Piece: Romance Dawn Story, was produced by Toei Animation in July 2008 for the Jump Super Anime Tour. It is 34 minutes in length and based on the first version of Romance Dawn.[59][27] It includes the Straw Hat Pirates up to Brook and their second ship, the Thousand Sunny. In search for food for his crew, Luffy arrives at a port after defeating a pirate named Crescent Moon Gally on the way. There he meets a girl named Silk, who was abandoned by attacking pirates as a baby and raised by the mayor. Her upbringing causes her to value the town as her "treasure". The villagers mistake Luffy for Gally and capture him just as the real Gally returns. Gally throws Luffy in the water and plans to destroy the town, but Silk saves him and Luffy pursues Gally. His crew arrives to help him, and with their help he recovers the treasure for the town, acquires food, and destroys Gally's ship.

So yeah, never a proper adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah you're thinking of the one with Galley/Gary. There's like two or three different versions of Romance Dawn.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm assuming this is the one with the like Peace Mains and Morganas?