Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
What is the general consensus among One Piece fans about the funimation voices? Who are some of the favorites and most spot on?

I got into One Piece via the funimation dvd releases in 2011, so they are the only voices I have known. The only time I was forced to experience the awful 4kids voices was via the ps2 games that I picked up that were a few years old by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

I started the anime from the beginning again, something to have on in the background while I do other stuff.

That's what I told myself then Captain Kuro revealed his master plan and I got sucked in. Kuro seems like the perfect antagonist to Luffy, a pirate that hates being a pirate and is going to murder his loyal crew to remain "dead" to the marines. I feel like there is alot more story that could have been told with that character, especially coming later on after Luffy has amassed a larger crew.

I also thought it was funny how all the pirates freak out about Luffy having devil-fruit powers. Just everything about the East Blue arcs seem so fun and innocent. Then Mihawk floats by on his ridiculous mini boat and totally destroys the most deadly pirate in that sea because he is bored. That's probably the moment when I got really invested into the show/manga, seeing how big the world would become.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

khy posted:

One Pace owns. Is there a dubbed version of it? I've been thinking of getting my nephew into OP, but I don't know if he can keep up with the subtitles.

Also, I made it to Dressrosa in the un-abridged anime. Bartolomeo is a great character, it's fun to watch someone fanboy out over Luffy.

Funimation even has a streaming app with all their dubbed episodes up from the beginning .... but it was horribly broken when I tried it and had all kinds of problems streaming on both ps3 and ps4.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

I've got a friend that can't get into One Piece in the initial couple episodes. Does anyone have a suggestion on episode(s) to start with that might kickstart something? I was thinking something in Arlong Park.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try the Baratie arc, I hadn't even thought of that. Seems like a great mix of everything I love about One Piece. Ridiculous Luffy stuff when he breaks the restaurant, intrigue about the mystery of Sanji, and the first real introduction of how huge the One Piece universe truly is. When Mihawk floats up on his tiny raft with candles and fucks up everyone's poo poo, that was the moment (for me) where I really wanted to discover everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

That was incredible. From the sound effects to the shifts in animation styles, they nailed it. It’s also nice to be in a thread where everyone isn’t climbing over each other to say the same thing about the anime being slow.