Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Kudos to QuantaStarFire for the thread title!

Gold Roger, The Pirate King, had Power, Fame, and Fortune. Before he was executed he uttered these words to the world, "You want my treasure? Search for it! I left it all in that place!" These words ushered in the Great Pirate Era, where any pirate will attempt to sail the Grand Line in search of it. 20 years later, a young boy departs from home in order to gather a crew and find One Piece, the greatest treasure of them all...

One Piece Anime Thread 4: Our Time Skip is better than your Time Skip (Jimbot)
One Piece Anime Thread 4: This Isn't The Manga Thread (Captain Invictus)
One Piece Anime Thread: Hyperbolic Time Chamber-Free since 1999 (appletonoutcast)

Welcome to the new One Piece anime thread! It's also the first anime thread to cover The New World, the second part of the One Piece story that takes place 2 years after part 1.

I haven't watched One Piece or I'm still not caught up and want to get into the second part. Could you sum up part 1?

Certainly, although you should probably watch Part 1 anyway because I am only giving a pretty "basic" overview of Part 1. There are tons of plot points/characters/locations/other things that I will not mention.

:siren::siren:ABOUT TO SPOIL PART 1:siren::siren:

So following the nice little intro up above One Piece is about Monkey D. Luffy, a 17 year boy with the power of the Rubber Rubber devil fruit; who leaves his hometown to become a pirate. He dreams up gathering a crew and conquering the Grand Line, becoming the Pirate King.

His adventures begin in East Blue, one of the four seas that surround the Grand Line. Luffy goes around and recruits 4 crew members before hitting the Grand Line: Ronoroa Zoro, three sword swordsman and First Mate; Usopp, scaredy cat Marksman; Sanji, ladies man/legs only martial artist and Cook; Nami, money hungry bitch and Navigator. They have adventures, defeating foes and making a name for themselves, Luffy even gets a starting bounty of 30 million berri. Eventually, they reach the Grand Line, where the majority of Part 1 takes place.

The Grand Line as an ocean has only been conquered by one man before: Gold Roger. The Straw Hats go on bigger, epic adventures as they traverse this dangerous ocean. Their ranks increase as well with the introduction of 4 more crew mates: Tony Tony Chopper, talking reindeer and Doctor; Nico Robin, depressing woman and Historian; Franky, manly cyborg and Shipwright; Brook, perverted gentleman skeleton and Musician. The Straw Hats' actions in the Grand Line start shocking the world: Not only did they prevent an uprising in the country of Alabasta by defeating Crocodile, a Warlord (government sanctioned pirate); but they also declared war of the World Government and successfully raided its judicial island Enies Lobby to save one of their own.

The breaking point in the series takes place right before the end of the 1st half of the Grand Line on the Shabody Archipelago. In a fit of rage, Luffy attacks a World Noble: The highest nobility in the world, with the authority of summoning a Marine Admiral. They also run into "Dark King" Rayleigh, the First Mate of Gold Roger, who takes an interest in the Straw Hats and gives each of them a piece of the Vivre card, a special piece of paper that will lead the crew to Rayleigh if something happens. An Admiral comes and with assistance of a new type of soldier utterly wipes out the Straw Hats. Before the final blow was struck, the Warlord Bartholomew Kuma appears, and using his strange Paw Paw Devil Fruit seperates the crew to places all around the world. Luffy lands on Kuja Island, a land of only amazonian women. After "conquering" the leader of the island (Warlord Boa Hancock), Luffy wants to reunite with his crew but something else comes up.

During one of their adventures, the Straw Hats' run into Luffy's brother Portegas D. Ace (not in blood we find out later), a commander in "The Strongest Pirate in the World" Whitebeards' pirate crew. Ace is pursuing a man named Blackbeard, a former crewmember of Aces' that committed the grave sin of murdering a fellow crew mate. Ace eventually confronted Blackbeard on Banaro Island, who reveals that the reason he murdered his crewmate was to take a devil fruit that he found: The Dark Dark Fruit. Using this strange fruit, Blackbeard overpowers Ace and captures him, using his bounty to be granted a Warlord from the World Government. The World Government decides to publically execute Ace at the main base of the Marines: Marineford. They do this in order to lure Whitebeard out and execute him as well. Luffy, hearing this news, rushes into the prison where Ace is being held, The Impregnable Impel Down, to bust him out. This ultimately fails, but with a gathering of both new and old enemies and allies they engineer the single greatest breakout in the world. As they escape, they encountered Blackbeard, who used his new status to break into Impel Down as well. Luffy ultimately runs past them as saving Ace is a higher priority. As they break out Whitebeard, who wields the power of the Quake Quake fruit, attacks Marineford and the War of the Best begins.

All the major powers of both the Whitebeard Pirates and the World Government collide in the battle. Luffys' group joins in, and through blood, sweat, and tears manages to free Ace from the WG's grasp. However, during the escape from Marineford Luffy (after basically running on empty for the past 20 hours) finally collapses. The Marine Admiral Akainu tries to deal the final blow on Luffy, but Ace instead takes the blow and is killed. Whitebeard in a rage separates him and the WG from everyone else so that his allies can escape. However Blackbeard, sporting new crewmembers, appears and finishes off Whitebeard. The horror is not over yet, as Blackbeard uses a secret technique to acquire Whitebeards' devil fruit to become the first person to every successfully wield two devil fruits (doing so normally kills the user). The battle finally comes to the end when Red Hair Shanks, a powerful pirate and Luffys' childhood hero, appears and allows the Whitebeard Pirates, allies, and Blackbeard to leave. Luffy, with his new friend the Warlord Jimbei , escape to Kuja Island.

Luffy goes into a fit of depression, stating that he is too weak to become the Pirate King. The story then gives us a flashback into the story of Luffy and Ace growing up, along with the third brother Sabo. Jimbei reminds Luffy that he still has his crewmembers, breaking Luffy's depression. Afterwards Rayleigh swims to Kuja Island to meet up with Luffy and decides to give him an ultimatum: Go back to Shabody now and face annihilation again, or take time off to power up and be better prepared for the New World: The second half of the Grand Line. Luffy decides to wait, and sends out a secret message to his crew that they will reunite in Shabody in two years. Rayleigh takes Luffy to a nearby dangerous island where the training begins And Part 1 Ends

Or you could watch this which sums up most of Part 1 Special Thanks to Himuro for the link. Now with 4 EXTRA MINUTES

Now why should I watch this, why shouldn't I just go ahead and read the manga?

With thanks to Oxygen Deficiency:

quote:

One Piece Anime-only Goon Review by Oxygen Deficiency
Where to begin?
Basically, whatever you thought you knew about Shounen anime before you started watching this show, prepare to have those thoughts completely obliterated. One Piece takes the Shounen genre to a place that no one thought possible. Take any other series currently running the same milage as One Piece and you'll see quite clearly that it outstrips them all in character development/design, plot progression, humour and above all, 'MOTHER OF GOD THAT WAS AWESOME' moments.
I became a die-hard One Piece anime fan a few years ago and I haven't felt the need to touch the manga, not ONCE. The anime is able to keep me waiting patiently each week because I know that it IS going to be yet another stellar episode. Even the filler is way above average for a shounen series. Getting sick of those stupid Zanpakuto stories in Bleach? You won't find any of that poo poo here.
If you've ever wanted to see a bunch of misfit crazy young pirates (and a skeleton) journey across some spectacular looking environments, beating up assholes with insane powers and sticking up a giant middle-finger to the government, then this is the series for you.

I would personally say something, but I figured I would let an anime only viewer to speak for me.

Tell me a reason why I shouldn't watch this series?

Well... this is a long series. A VERY long series. like as of this post there are 516 episodes. It doesn't help that early One Piece is just decent and not the amazing series that it will eventually become. To give yourself a good test if you will like this series watch up the end of the Arlong Park arc (I believe it's around episode 30 or so when it starts) and if you don't like it by that point, you can just stop. It gets better and better from that point, but if you don't like it then you can feel free to abandon ship. Also, as being a long running shonen series, you will run into typical problems seen in this field (weird animation, filler, etc.)

Ok, I'm convinced. Now where can I view this series

Funimation has dubbed the series up until the G8 arc. After that the sub groups kinda bounce around until the crew gets to Shabody Archipelago in which Funimation started subbing those episodes. Funimation simulcasts the series, putting a new episode up every Saturday night an hour after it's debut in Japan. You can catch the new episodes at Funi's One Piece Site

bondster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondster
May 6, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

Don't forget a link to The One Piece Official site to watch all the latest episodes!

Good Point!

Also its a little early but The Opening

bondster
May 6, 2007

Its out

Edit: I say that, but for some reason the video won't load

bondster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 2, 2011

bondster
May 6, 2007

(episode spoilers)He was smoking in Shakky's bar

bondster
May 6, 2007

I really hope Sanji's "I NEED LADY" becomes a running catchphrase that the anime runs with.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This got posted in the manga thread

Leave it there until the bit from the new opening finishes, then prepare to cry beautiful tears.

bondster
May 6, 2007

gently caress YES The Jet Pistol scene and everything afterwards was perfect

bondster
May 6, 2007

Lilac Kimono posted:

Oh my, Zoro's face is priceless. Specifically when everyone is sitting around Sanji and Zoro's the only one to notice the sheer amount of transfusion bags Sanji's hooked up to.

He's clearly surprised that someone can lose more blood than he can :zoro:

bondster
May 6, 2007

dvorak posted:

Based on your conviction I will take this advice as fact.

I'll put this right next to my X-Men reading order, and X-Files timeline. You only wish I was joking, haha.

Thanks.

In my opinion I would wait and watch Movie 1 and 2 back to back since they are both only 1 hour movies.

Anyway my movie opinions:

Movie 1: A cute, short story thats pretty forgettable
Movie 2: Good, solid movie. Loved the locales they used for this one.
Movie 3: I've said it once and I'll say it again... AVOID THIS poo poo LIKE THE loving PLAGUE. Most of these movies have a filler little kid, but this one has TWO of those little fuckers. Worst of all, one of those is a main character :(
Movie 4: Amazing, the absolute best traditional One Piece movie. Its a great, fun time with cool characters and villains.
Movie 5: A decent flick, but I like it because it has a focus on Zoro who is my second favorite Straw Hat.
Movie 6: The best non-traditional One Piece movie. A renowned director (I forget his name) brings his trademark style to the series and it is the most unique of the bunch.
Movie 7: This movie is hilarious because there is only one thing that this movie is known for and it cracks me up every time I see it.
Movie 8: The first and shittier of two movies that retell an arc. This one thought it would be a solid idea to try and condense a 40+ episode arc into an hour and a half.
Movie 9: The better of the two movies. Goes with an alternate reality scenario and adds new characters and does a good job retelling the arc its based off of.
Movie 10: Fantastic movie. Oda really nailed it when they asked him to make this movie. It also has the best villian introducion in the ENTIRE series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylGAEai7iI (not the best video but it does the job)

bondster
May 6, 2007

New One Piece film in 2012, Oda is Executive Producer

bondster
May 6, 2007

Liar posted:

Anyone else as unimpressed with Neptune's voice as I am? I think this is the first case of honest disappointment I've had with the voice work.

I honestly thought that he was voiced by Norio Wakamoto when he first spoke.

Then I realized he wasn't, so yeah I'm there with ya :(

bondster
May 6, 2007

The anime sort of dropped the ball a bit by adding That Hordy Jones flashback with the human slaver.

This won't make a whole lot of sense if your not reading the manga, but it hosed up because (small manga spoilers) it kinda defeats the purpose of Hordy being a product of his enviroment and hating humans for no real reason. Now with that flashback there is a tangible reason for hating humans: They tried to kidnap him and friends when they were kids

bondster
May 6, 2007

So G.S made some more AMV's covering the Marineford Arc, and my god this one is so loving good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ZK8wPzn5A

bondster
May 6, 2007

So I know there has been a new episode out for about half a week now, but that is not why I'm posting today.

So apparently the new (non 3d gimmecky) One Piece Movie is coming out this December, and Oda designed the villain calling it the strongest enemy yet

It's also called One Piece Z :lol:

bondster
May 6, 2007

Does the main fishman pirate slave in this episode look like a fishman version of Shanks to anyone else?

bondster
May 6, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

A reason to think Strong World is canon.

They also made an animated version of it for those who still want to not read the manga :eng101:

bondster
May 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't remember if that was in the manga or not, but Oda doesn't really have control of the anime, right?

The scene is in the manga, but the line in it is that "with an extra ten to twenty years on her and she'd grow into a proper beauty.". However the mental image was added by the anime team.

EDIT: Queen Otohime's death was really well done.

bondster
May 6, 2007

That was an unusually well animated episode considering there was no almost no action in the episode.

bondster
May 6, 2007

jassa posted:

6 mins of a 23 minute episode... but that's fairly normal now.

I'm so glad they used that particular bit of music for the final scene - I've loved it ever since its first, memorable use in the Arlong arc. I can't remember the last time they used it in the anime.

Impel Down, when Luffy healed from Magellans poison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ASsy0TW-s (about 1:25) warning: audio may be poo poo

bondster
May 6, 2007

Whats this? A 2-hour TV special that is remaking The Arlong Arc coming in August?

:swoon:

bondster
May 6, 2007

Hey, would you like some new One Piece Film Z info? Too bad its related to something very huge that hasn't happened in the manga yet.

But I'm a nice guy so have an awesome Film Z Straw Hat scan:

http://imgbox.com/aahgVsTG

bondster
May 6, 2007

So remember that One Piece in 6 minutes video that I put in the OP? Well the same guy did another video, this time adding 4 more minutes

bondster
May 6, 2007

New episode came out yesterday. Animation is pretty terrible, hope they are just saving money for better things.

Anyway the 2-hour Nami special airs next weekend. Funimation hasn't come out to say they are subbing this (at least that I could find), so until they do linking subs should be ok.

Also here is the new version of We Are thats coming along with the special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHU2wGY1VuQ

bondster
May 6, 2007

FUN FACT: The girl fishmen with the suitcase is named Octopako, someone that Hachi tried to win over during a mini arc detailing how he and Keimi met.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Have a new trailer for Film Z

The Avril Lavigne kinda kills the trailer for me :(, otherwise its pretty awesome!

bondster fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 17, 2012

bondster
May 6, 2007

So apparently for One Piece Z The Strawhats will wear suits designed by Armani that was specifically picked by Oda.

So how long until instead of celebrating with sake they celebrate with Heineken :v:

bondster
May 6, 2007

With tonights episode we finally reach the New World Riding the Warp Zone of our dreams

Have fun cause we got a filler arc next week!

bondster
May 6, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I'm worried we won't get a new theme until the line in the manga where Zoro says "The new world starts here". Which will be like 40 weeks from now :negative:

Nah they are probably saving the new OP for when that character shows up.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Gyges posted:

There're still people who are anime only with One Piece?

Well now that its airing on Toonami every Saturday night, yes :v:

bondster
May 6, 2007

Yep we are definitely heading towards a filler arc. When your filler arc starts off with the return of the Kung Fu Dugong it's got a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondster
May 6, 2007

Its been a while since I've been in this thread! Yea I will probably need to update the OP at some point (unless someone wants to make a new one, I haven't been watching the anime for a while now).

However, I did catch the new special they put up on Crunchyroll "3D2Y" that takes place during the timeskip. Its a neat little side story with some characters being awesome and other being kinda pointless save for 5 seconds. Now, I decided to catch this special as when it was announced it claimed to have something "The fans have been waiting for" and I can safely say that yes IT HAS SOMETHING PRETTY BIG IN IT (but it's in the last 10 seconds so you have to watch until the very end).