Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hikare E (#3) is by far my favorite, and it's the only one I would watch all the way through every time. And it was there for so long. I was very sad when it changed, especially considering they changed it to bon voyage (#4), which is definitely my least favorite of all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Teek posted:

I'm surprised a network hasn't taken a chance on showing OP again. It's probably 4Kids fault for tainting the franchise so badly in the U.S.

I know I was incredibly against it after I saw it on Cartoon Network once from 4Kids. It wasn't until someone INSISTED that I try it that I got 100% hooked.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Scratchman Apoo posted:

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

New episode up.

Edit: I find it interesting that they decided to reveal that Caribou is a devil fruit user. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, what are you thinking his power is? There was a lot of speculation going around.

My guess is quicksand, judging by the way the spear was sucked into his stomach, plus color and material. Could also be mud or clay, but I thought the color was too light for mud and too brown for clay.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Liar posted:

Sure, otherwise he'd just load up on a thousand gun-toting assholes to be his crew, avoid islands all together, and head in a straight line. Instead he picks people who appeal to him, picks fights with everyone who looks like they could level a mountain with a punch, and sets route to every stupid location no one else would bother with.

Liked the scene in the new episode where Luffy punches three fishmen so fast that his hand seemingly never moves. The fight scenes are why I watch the series. Yeah the manga's awesome, but you just can't get a feel for how stupidly awesome some of the moves these guys make are in a single panel vs. animated.

Log Pose. That's why they can't skip. They haven't mentioned that in forever though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Liar posted:

I'm not sure about that. Roger would have been coming from East Blue anyway, so maybe it's only natural that they've shared a couple destinations, and the only places I'm aware of is Skypia and Water 7. Although it seems more likely that he didn't go to Skypia on his first pass, but rather came back that way since he'd seemingly mastered his Haki by then. Plus Roger would have had to travel to Krokus and then travel to turn himself in, so he would have needed a log pose.

But of course this is One Piece, so you'll probably end up being right.

My guess is that someone like Roger surpassed the need for a log pose once he reached one piece.

Or he dropped it off on his way to Logue town, as Krokus is right before it in the order of things.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jassa posted:

Wasn't that log pose left at Little Garden (or maybe even destroyed) since it would have needed a year to reset? I know they got from LG to Alabasta using a special log pose, at least.

A. We don't know how long Roger was at Little Garden (if we even was). We don't know how long his journey lasted so he very likely could have been there a year (or never there at all).

B. It's not like you lose the log pose if you take an eternal pose to get off Little Garden. Your pose just gets reset at the next island.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I know I'm supposed to suspend some of my belief, but I found a lot of her death silly.

First off, you can just recollect the signatures. It's not like people wouldn't redo all the signatures, those kids even had their second versions filled out.

Second off, how hard is it to put out a fire when you live 10,000 meters under the sea?

And lastly, why do they even need the signatures? I guess the World Government wanted them, but when has that ever been a democracy?

I guess all those details aren't very important, but they bothered me.

For her it was never about the actual signatures, but about the hardships she and her people went through to obtain them. Asking people to resign is like asking people to relive their horrible past.

That section of town is above their "sea level" and fairly isolated from water (Hence all the mermaids in the scene using the bubble tubes).

The signatures were proof the fishmen were willing to live above ground to the world government. Also, the signatures represented the queen's hard work, passion, and connection to the people.

On a side note, I also thought her death scene was fantastic. A little heavy handed on the symbolism (3 princes, 3 flaming boxes, etc, etc) but overall paced well and certainly a stylistic take on the art.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zetsubou posted:

New episode is out. Pretty drat good episode this week. I wonder what the hell is so important about that ship.

It's Noah's ark. Hence the name Noah.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nope wrong worst effect so overdone what was wrong with eying a group of people and having them pass out from sheer badassness what's all this pink energy bullshit ugk and bluck only scene I thought would have been better if the budget wasn't so big.

This post is terrifying.

I though it was a nice touch.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The opening plus recap from the last episode literally got to almost the halfway point. That's loving offensive.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The reveal this week made me super happy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KoB posted:

Yeah, I dont think they explain why, but Solider didnt have any commands placed on him, only the transformation and memory stuff.

They did indeed explain it a few episodes ago. Sugar forgot to set the contract, as he was the first toy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

A pretty good episode this week I thought. I really enjoyed Kyros's transformation back into his human form with the song playing. I find it hard to believe he beheaded Doffy so easily, but I don't know how he'd have survived that. Looking pretty much like Sabo will get the fruit next episode too

I have to assume that he's logia type and his body is made of string.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

(Can't quote two things on the phone app, but) You're right: we don't see into houses very often, but the populace seems to be kept very well informed by the news even if they don't have TVs. Like when the straw hat bounties went out and all their families etc saw what they were up to.

If you're on awful (iOS), hit quote, hit cancel, then quote the next post you wanna quote. They'll both be there.

Alternatively, quote, copy, then paste. But that's if you're not lazy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Argh, why does Funimation dub the audio but not the text? I want to know what it's saying after Usopp, Sanji and Nami each beat the Baroque Works members. :\
Any particular reason why you're watching the dub and not the sub? The dubs decent but they're pretty far behind and the sub really is much better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Saw this on someone else's phone the other day. Though you guys might get a kick out of how terrible it is.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gyges posted:

Is that actually Shanks fan art with a Luffy face pasted on top?

He has one too many arms for that.

The reason it's that long has to be just because they wanted it to fit. It's an iPhone 6, which is pretty long in general.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

The claw Blackbeard had has four blades.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!

That image is so low resolution it looks like one blade.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-05/one-piece-anime-reveals-zou-arc-visual-more-details-for-silver-mine-arc/.102888

Woah, we're finally getting a filler arc so they can back off Oda a bit. Maybe the pacing will get a little less lovely after this.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

I've got a friend that can't get into One Piece in the initial couple episodes. Does anyone have a suggestion on episode(s) to start with that might kickstart something? I was thinking something in Arlong Park.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Arlong park is really where the anime hits its stride. But the arc is long and without the previous character building might not be as enjoyable. I’d really be pushing to get them to tough it out until then.

Arlong starts at 31 and ends at 44.

Otherwise Ussop’s arc (9-18) is what dragged me in.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I've been working my way through the One Pace version of the anime, so I'm hopeful I've missed a lot of the bad bits of the anime, though it's still not perfect.

Anyway I just hit Wano and the music is pretty loving incredible when the strawhats are entering wano, and the new OP is a real banger. But Whole Cake had that whole Disney movie thing with Big Mom that worked too.

It was weird seeing the animation being pretty meh for Zoro and Luffy reuniting considering just before that there was Zoro's seppuku scene which looked great. They gotta pick their battles I guess.

You’ve got some very nice animation to look forward to right after they meet up. That’s probably why.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This whole Oden and Roger sequence was so fantastic.

Actually seeing a bunch of the journey we’ve been hearing hints about for 20 years was incredible. That last scene of all of them laughing with the old ED was so good.

Plus Roger is basically Luffy. The way he ran to fight whitebeard, and the face he was making all excited while he ran, was such a Luffy parallel.

I also appreciate that he was such a strong person, fruitless. Makes his strength that much more amazing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm watching One Piece for the first time ever, and I just finished Episode 8, and I teared up a little when Shou Shou got his little bit of dog food from Luffy.

I’ll post with you friend.

Be prepared for a ton of those moments.

If you think you care about those characters now, wait until another 50 eps or so.

One piece has the best character development of any show I’ve ever watched.

You also have the advantage of knowing during the lovely slow parts of the show that it’s worth it for how insanely awesome it’s been over the last year. Should make it less of a slog.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

As great as this battle is likely to be (in the like year it’s going to take to start knowing the pacing), I’m very sad to leave Oden’s story behind.

One of the best characters Oda has produced. And the whitebeard/roger sections were among some of the best episodes in the series. I wish there were more.

I’m aware part of it is just finally getting to see it. But waiting legit 15+ years to see roger and crew, and getting such a wonderful set of episodes, makes me very happy. Toei is clearly giving great treatment to Wano and I hope it stays through the rest of the arc.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Probably to give them a chance to catch up.

I haven’t read the manga, but I assume we have a shitload more high priority fights, and if they’re all animated like last ep they probably need breathing room.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Something huge happened in the manga this week. There’s been multiple front page posts over multiple days about it on Reddit. Some of those posts seem angry? Never seen that before for this show.

It’s taking a lot of will power not to spoil it. Please don’t spoil it in this thread, just warning all to watch out for more frequent than normal spoilers.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I’m not sure if the extra buffer brought on by the current hiatus will affect that or if they’ll just continue with the current setup like normal (I’m betting on the latter personally)

I suspect they’ll use this to have extra buffer. Or to fill the buffer they lost left by oda’s hiatus (was that last year?)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’d rather they do these recaps and get higher quality, well paced episodes later.

Also this weeks whole ep was beautiful. So wonderfully animated.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

as if Toei wouldn't immediately jump into a next generation one piece ala naruto/boruto

It wouldn’t pull anywhere near the numbers cause I don’t trust anyone who’s not oda with this universe.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I try to go like 5 or 6 weeks between viewings. It helps a lot.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

238 down, 788 to go. :negative:

Caught up on Netflix after stopping just before Skypiea when it just came out and christ, what an insane ride it's been. The pace and plotting seemed to have picked up considerably after that arc too. I was getting pretty bored by the end of the Enel fight and found myself just skipping through episodes. Luffy just obliterated Usopp so it'll be cool to see where this goes. I will say, I miss those old fansubs with that group who animated all the attacks. Are they still around? I realize that was all the way back in loving 2005... :( But one can hope, eh?

Sadly, Kaizoku died a long time ago.

Congrats. You’re about to hit one of the best arcs, enjoy.

Consider checking out one pace sometime soon if you want to make it less of a slog.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

End of water 7 boss is bar none most hype for a moment in a fight.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I watch weekly and don’t read.

There hasn’t been much going on for quite a while now. We’ve been in Onigashima for literally 2 years. The fighting at the gates started June 13, 2021.

Outside of the absolutely excellent Gold Roger stuff and the initial Kaido/Luffy fighting, most everything else has been ok to bad. I’d say outside of the above there’s been maybe 10 good episodes over the last 2 years?

Just not a lot going on so not a ton of discussion.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That was absolutely gorgeous. One of the most unique episodes they’ve done. Instant favorite.

Edit: Fascinating. This EP was directed by an American. According to this article, OP has never had a non-JPN ep director. Now it make a lot of sense. Still doesn’t take away from it though.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...e-anime/.198985

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 25, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Julias posted:

"Cuts" are an animation term for when the perspective changes or scene cuts to a different location or shot, such as when you go from a wide shot showing multiple people to a close up of a character's face.

In the one piece example it's a single cut because law's animation is the actual cut, and big mom is actually a part if the dynamic background changing throughout this scene.

Yeah it’s this.

Cuts mean static (or mostly static) backgrounds. Single shot with so much insane motion around the space means significantly more work and planning because the background has to move naturally with the result of the animation.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looks like Luffy is getting his big power up next episode. That transition from his heartbeat to drum beat was :discourse:.

I'm getting curious about last year's blow-up with the manga, we gotta be getting close by now. I can't imagine why anyone would be mad that Luffy is Joyboy, considering how many hints were leading in that direction.

Not really manga spoilers as this is about a video posted by toei on YouTube but just in case…

They released a gear5 trailer, confirming Aug 6th as the reveal date (and the animation looks loving gorgeous).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Man what an incredible 2 episodes.

Does anyone know of a lore dump that’s anime only, or at least doesn’t spoil passed where the anime is? I don’t read the manga, but I’d really love to lore brush up without spoilers.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

The poleglyphs were made by the Kozuki clan. The knowledge was passed down through the generations until Oden died before he could pass it on to Momonosuke. Though the Fish Man Island poneglyph is specifically an apology from Joyboy about not upholding his promise involving the giant ship Noah.

About what specifically? I think it's a pretty complicated story at this point. Some random lore dumps: Garp is famous for defeating Rox, the former captain of Kaido and Linlin. Toki was born near the beginning of the Void Century before traveling all the way to the near current age.
Also, and this didn't make it into the anime, but: apparently the giant boar that Oden cut clean in half, was cut so clean, they put it back together and it continued to live on.

This is the stuff I don't understand. There's so much extra stuff in the manga that never gets animated. They are strapped for content, but don't ever use this stuff. :sigh:

The past few episodes have been pretty divisive imo. Maybe the divide is between frequent viewers and not. The recent King fight has really highlighted how much better the episodes could have been imo. Maybe there was miscommunication and they're saving up their screentime for the finale of the fight instead.
I love what Oda has written, but personally, I feel like Toei hasn't been delivering. Oh well, the YouTube supercuts are great.

:kimchi:

I noticed that, but wasn't sure if the subbers had just been leaving it out or if it was new.

Even more weird was when Luffy accused Kaido of not taking the fight seriously. I guess they both just think they're the only one being serious.

If only there was someone who could stop the fire...

Uh, I guess about everything?

I wanted to brush up on lore without rewatching or reading the whole manga without spoiling what’s coming, but I do understand that’s a big ask.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I can try. I might have some details wrong though.

Between 800 and 900 years ago, there's a century missing from the records that the World Government hid. The leaders of the nations that formed the World Government left their countries to live in Marienjos, except the Nefertari family. Interestingly, the Nefertari also guard a Poneglyph in their hidden tomb. King Cobra claims they're protecting it, but Robin (at least at the time) claims they were just hiding it from the world. The ancient weapons date to this time as well. Toki is also from this time period.

There's also a giant strawhat the World Government is hiding somewhere for some reason.

The poneglyphs were made by the Kozuki family and (I guess) given to ancient people to defend. All the poneglyphs have been on islands associated with irl ancient empires like Aztecs/Mayans / Atlantis / Ancient Egyptians, etc. They're said to be nearly indestructible. There are 9 poneglyphs that compose the Rio Poneglyph, which contains the true history of the world. There are also 4 Road Poneglyphs needed to reach Laugh Tale. In total, there are 30 Poneglyphs. The Strawhats have 3 of the Road ones.

Some of the poneglyphs are about the ancient weapons, of which there are three. One is buried in Alabasta, one is the Mermaid Princess, the other is still unknown.
Crocodile wanted to find the Alabasta one. He has some secret that Ivankof knows. He also has some unknown grudge against Whitebeard.

Gol Roger and Luffy can "hear the voice of all things".

Doflamingo is the son of a former Celestial and has special knowledge.

Kaido and Linlin were formerly part of the same crew under Rox. At some point, Garp defeated Rox, which earned him the title Hero of the Navy.

There's a giant ship near Fishman Island that is said to be part of some promise. The sea kings that drive/pull it said it's not time yet for it.

Tashigi was introduced as someone who was frustrated that the world looked down on her as a woman swordfighter and was overtly a strong parallel to Zoro's childhood friend, but has since decided to be completely mediocre and useless and completely fine with that.

That's everything I can think of for now.

I for sure didn’t intend for some goon to take their time to write it up, so thanks this is certainly helpful.

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I keep forgetting to mention this, but: the lead up episodes to Red were really weird.

Red spoilers maybe:
There was something really off and spooky about Shank's crew. I figured it was like somehow a dream or they all knew something bad was going to happen or something. But there's no real way they knew anything was going to happen.
And then the entire movie hinged on them lying and covering up what happened and abandoning her for no reason. I don't see how it benefited anyone at all. She even dies because they didn't just tell her what happened. And on top of it, she found out herself not too long after.
The guy also is like, "Oh, I didn't destroy the music that could destroy the world because I just really like music too much." And then she dies and the music dies and all of this could have been avoided.

Also, why Oven? He's the most generic and boring character in One Piece.

I did see film Red.

IIRC Uta was left there because there was risk of Tot musica being summoned anywhere Uta was. Or risk of someone with nefarious intentions capturing her and forcing Tot musica out via Uta so she had to be hidden away. And considering the world ending power, shanks had no choice.

I take shank’s crews’ spooky vibe as the crew realizing they are there to kill shank’s daughter, who they view as a beloved crew member.

Also, Gordon failing to destroy the sheet because of his true love of music isn’t even the 10th time someone has failed to do a task set for them because of their “love of x” in One Piece.

Realistically, most of the OP movies are barely cannon to outright outside the realm of OP reality. For fucks sake the film showed Gear 5 and shank’s crew meeting luffy’s crew (however loosely), something that has been hyped for nearly the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

They were super creepy during the lead-in episodes on Windmill Island, which was before anyone knew the Tot Musica even existed.

And as far as I could tell, she needed to encounter the sheet music again to reactivate it. So keeping her on the island was the worst thing they could have done.

I also disliked that Shanks met up with the crew, even if they were separated by a dream barrier or whatever. It's supposed to be one of the climaxes of the story, not part of some random movie. I was also worried when they shoehorned in some character into what's basically Luffy's origin story as soon as they announced Uta.

And I don't know why all the more recent One Piece movies have to all have these world-ending events.

I imagine the world ending events thing is strictly down to power creep.

How would anyone as powerful as Luffy struggle against anyone who didn’t have world ending power?