Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

Franky is the only one whose redesign feels less interesting than the original. I can forgive it because Brook is the most amazing thing.

I really hope Brook loses those glasses - please tell me he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

I love Sanji and Usopp's facial hair, but I think it'll be a while before Usopp's and Zoro's outfits grow on me.

I don't really like Sanji's because it doesn't match his hair color. :/

As far as the swords go, he lost his other sword he bought in Loguetown. The cursed one has the unique pattern. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_sf5smizaY
The white sword he will obviously always have. And he has the super heavy, super strong said to be able to survive being stepped on by an elephant or a dinosaur or something black sword from the zombie.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 11, 2011

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

I meant "stupid" as in Silly, but that too.

Puns are the highest form of comedy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Yeah, this is the same place where we learned that Enel made it to the Moon and had adventures with Moon Men. Also where we saw the continuing adventures of CP9 following their beating at the hands of the Straw Hats.

I think the only cover stories to ever actually tie back in were Buggy's adventures, which they animated before his reintroduction.

Aww, I feel like we're missing out.

I also agree, Coby is there to show the Luffy affect very early on. He also sets up the whole Luffy is my friend/enemy/rival thing, too, that a lot of characters share. I have a hard time believing he was a throw-away later rewritten. I also like him now that he's more powerful, perhaps because I hated him sooo much when I first met him. I was actually surprised how early they came back, I definitely predicted their return though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

If the joke was at Sanji's expense, then there'd be at least some people there who weren't horrifically ugly, and the other characters wouldn't react the same way.

I think they're beautiful. :allears:

Gyges posted:

Yeah, it was slightly tolerable when it was Sanji on their island. Oh ho, the ladies man is now surrounded by gay cross-dressers. How delightfully "ironic". But defeating an entire squad of Marines with the power of their super icky kisses and terminatoresque drive for affection jettisons the idea's kernel of non-horribleness into the ionosphere.

This is why I can't watch One Piece in public.

I think, but I could be wrong, that Japan is more tolerant (well, everyone has to be more tolerant than America), but it is unfortunate that the Newkamalites are reduced to just jokes about their hideousness/whatever. I do think it was initially to poke fun at Sanji. He loves women, so making them excessively manly makes it funnier I suppose. But we do have people like Ivankov, that orange dude, and Mr 2 to break up any stereotypes they are trying to make. I had been definitely thinking it for a while what kind of stereotype the show is building. But aside from the side-characters, I think overall the main characters are likable, so there's that at least. And I like to think they are just scaring/beating up a bunch of homophobes. It's not like Luffy had a problem when he was among them.

Redcrimson posted:

Poor Tashigi... Go for the Harem End, Zoro!

Is it wrong to get with someone that reminds you of your dead girl/childhoodfriend?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 6, 2011

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

Maybe they don't want to be women. Seems like a simple answer to me.

Who would?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

I've felt the same way about Oda's female character designs for ages. They're really lovely- actually worse than a lot of other anime and manga, as mind numbing as that concept is. One Piece remains my favorite shounen, and something I dearly love all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0KjmZjuXg

I've been thinking that for a while. I really liked Nami's old design better, when I first watched the show, after watching Bleach for year, I was happy to see how they drew Nami. But that didn't last. Robin, too, has been malformed over the years. It's a shame. I think though that they still remain respectable characters with motivations, character, and strength, so I can't complain too much. I think that overall One Piece is still progressive, but without abandoning cliche jokes. Still, I feel like Nami is going to create a Barbie effect for Japan.

At least we don't have crying and "Kurosaki-kun" every episode.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No episode this week? :(

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rock2much posted:

It's up, my lad: http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

edit: I bet you didn't even look :doom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_One_Piece_episodes#TV_specials
Scroll up one tick on that ^

I am glad I am wrong. You, sir, have brought me from the pits of despair to the pinnacles of Elysian pleasure.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

Kind of boring. I can't imagine these pirates lasting more than a few seconds against the new straw hats

I remember seeing them clash up against each other and look like they were going to board and think - oh, finally a real pirate fight. So I'm excited.

Also, I can't imagine them lasting long against the old Straw Hats...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

To be honest I didn't think anything would top nipple lights. And then he went and did some burlesque morris code.

This is why I watch One Piece

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magna posted:

This episode was hilarious but I think my favorite part was when the crew is escaping all of the giant sea life and everyone is shrieking and panicking, the Thousand Sunny's lion face was also scared.

If they get eaten, maybe it'll turn out to be another nakama's long lost nakama containing a new story arc and a pirate king crew member.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Great episode as always! I'm loving Brooke's quest to continue to awkwardly do something in the background of a scene. His random little song once Luffy and company returned was hilarious.

Also, can anyone tell me if Sanji's nose bleeds and all that actually account to something plot related. I've taken to referring to it as Chekhov's nose bleed as it seems to pop up too much to be a gag.

Do you mean like you don't understand the nosebleed? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Nosebleed
That's really all it's about, no reference to anything. There's some history behind it involving old men or something, but that's the reference, it's just your normal anime thing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

I'm of the opinion now that if you keep the same favorite character week after week then One Piece isn't the right show for you because they are all amazing.

I'm not going to lie - Chopper is my least favorite straw hat. He's gotten less annoying to me recently, and even somewhat funny, but he still can't compare. He's like 4, doesn't belong with the others, I hate the way he's drawn, and his power makes no sense. What part of human human fruit do you get horn powers from? And worse yet, I'm visiting Japan right now, and he's plastered over *everything!* He's more popular than rice!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

I think Robin is my least favorite. She's not really funny and I don't remember her fighting anyone important or doing it in a particularly interesting way. And it bugs me that I don't know if her revolutionary jaunt trained in her in any way.

How could you not like Robin?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOkfeTo5CA

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I only really liked the first few movies and 10.
I can't pick a favorite, maybe 1 or 2, but I can say which was the worst for me: 6. I vaguely liked the idea of the Strawhats fighting each other, an island that destroys friendships in a series where it is so important sounds like it should be amazing. But it was just so poorly carried out and the art was so weird, too.

e: Sorry, I'm stupid. Fixed my tags. Also, had my numbers wrong. 3 was kind of lame.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 7, 2011

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WhiffleballDude posted:

I definitely like 6 but it's just too weird for me to be honest. My favorites are 10, 4, and 9. Bottom are definitely 1, 3, and 8. 2's alright.

I felt like the first few were concentrated One Piece. Maybe it was because I was watching them during the peak of "Oh poo poo, we're catching up to the manga but don't want to do filler" so it felt good to see something more fast-paced. The 6th movie looked like they were drawing something else and then pasted One Piece over it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

QueerPope posted:

Holy poo poo they actually stretched that joke out to consist of almost the entire episode didn't they.

Also I'm seeing hints of some sort of stratified society here. "He's originally from the fish-man district, so that's where he has to be." I wonder if that's the direction that Oda is going to take things in, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I'm sure Luffy will punch it in the face and everyone will live happier for it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

The scenes with Sanji continue to be offensive.

If your favorite before was Sanji, it's now Zoro after this arc. Everyone else's training has had a positive impact on them except maybe Zoro's depth perception.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At the end of the day, I'd just like to be able to watch One Piece in public.

"One Piece Anime Thread 4: New World! Anyone Remember Where We Parked?" You really need to watch the anime to see how painful it is to watch. It's not funny; it's overdone; and it's just annoying to sit through.

I understand the joke is watching Sanji squirm. I highly doubt Oda means any offense. But goddamn are the scenes not funny and there is little doubt in my mind that they are enforcing negative stereotypes.

Japan is not a very diverse nation and the LGBTQQA et al. group has a lot of discrimination already stacked against it. Furthermore, though it's super widely popular all across Japan, this is a show aimed at youth. I don't expect OP to be some kind of super anime which explores the human experience and what it means to be diverse or whatever, but it's just plain offensive and unfunny.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

An interesting aside:

This is what Oda drew when someone asked him what the straw hats would look like if the hormone shot got used on them.

In case any of you are curious like I was, I tried to translate them. I can't guarantee 100% accurate translation though.

It's pretty hard to read, but the ones I can read:
Luffy says: "Eat salad" "The one that will become the pirate king is me!!"
Zoro says: "Three sword-style?" (I think) "Impossible, my teeth would break completely"
Nami's is too hard to read (does someone have a better scan?)
Ussopu's is also too hard to read
Sanjis says: "Sweets are my specialty (you know)"
Chopper says: (I think) "Doctor! Ah! It's me!"
Robin's I can't figure out at all and it's hard to read
Franky says: "Isn't this week's me suuuuuuperrrrrr?"
And Brook is just confused.

I'd like to figure out what the other's are saying...

Incidentally, I'm not sure hormones would work on Brook. :yohoho:?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 11, 2012

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Nami: I'm asking who this ship's navigator is!
Usopp: It seems like I'll die if I enter that island.
Robin: You did something terrible...

The other translations are pretty accurate.

Well, that's much better than my version of Nami and Robin I was going to post. At least I was right about Usopp. Thanks! The hidee is kansai-ben for hidoi, I'm guessing? Sorry, don't want to derail this into Japanese class or something.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I think we all grew used to that particular failing of Odas a long time ago. It's quiet weird when you look at the first few volumes and see the slim, tomboyish Nami and then compare it to how she's...grown over the years admittedly, but it's been happening with so long I doubt most people even think about it much anymore.

Oh, no, I noticed. Whenever I get the chance, I complain how the old Nami looked so much better.

Also, as soon as Luffy went in and started bouncing around on a mysterious boob-shaped substance, I knew what was coming. Oda really had no where to go except to make them big enough to walk on. Robin and Nami are on their way.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Primoman posted:

No man boobs on him.

Yet.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

For me the last couple of episodes have played straight through without commercials for some reason. I hope it's something that continues, because really why are you showing me the same ad 5 times in a row?

If you're a villain from Austin Powers, you might be convinced by the third time in a row.

I think the problem is there aren't enough sponsors. It's been increasing though, so maybe I won't have to hear the Windows PC commercial anymore. Or at least get more than two commercials... or those drat Skittles commercials...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

That's a lovely sentiment but the US and Japan only make up a small fraction of the world.

The best part.

I think he means in countries where there is the official streaming, those people should support the official streaming. If it is available completely free in your country, why not watch the official stream and put up with ads so One Piece can stay funded? If you have to have the high quality, buy the DVDs. (Do they have subbed box sets?)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MadiTC posted:

Kung Fu Point Chopper :swoon:

I was actually happy with Chopper for once. This seems like a legitimate use of the Human Human fruit.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Himuro posted:

Dude, good luck. You will be using google in heavy overtime because once you get past a certain point, you're going to be switching to at least 5 different groups. I'd suggest picking up the manga instead, and catching up that way rather than go through fansub tedium.

That wasn't my experience. I was US-based though. If you find the right site, they'll host all the various subbers in one place for you, just keep looking. It might have changed by now, too, though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

Also something seems to be lost in translation after Franky pops out his hair and says that he's merely a pervert.

No, that's exactly what he says.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

I don't know why, but I was thinking a post timeskip throwdown is going to be more like, "Look at what the crew is able to do now." as they completely walk all over anyone stupid enough to get in their way. We've been watching, what, 3 entire arcs of Luffy and crew getting stomped on.

I just get the feeling the upcoming bad guys are in for a rude awakening.

I don't think that's true, otherwise they wouldn't have introduced the power drugs.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mushroom_spore posted:

He could probably kick the collective asses of about 90% of the not-the-New-World Grand Line, or at least make a good show of trying. The admirals and Kuma and whoever else could take him, but that's like eleven people. Plus another handful for the Emperors and whoever the stronger people in their crews are (there's no telling how squishy their rookies are, considering that anyone would be a rookie next to Beckman).

I'm sure there are some other named characters who could, but the point is that the people yelling "oh my goodness, that Luffy sure is a monster!" and getting their entire army rolled over by Mihawk make up the vast, vast majority of the world's population.

I think Arlong would still be considered a bit more than "above average," once you take into account that "average" includes more than that tiny handful of individuals (out of an entire planet) that One Piece focuses on.

And I'm not even particularly an Arlong fan.

Also, the man ate a cannon ball...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I thought the Hordy-Zoro "fight" was way cooler in the manga because Hordy bragged about how much faster fishmen are under water and then Zoro just instantly wrecked him. Guess they just had some extra animation money lying around or something.

Manga spoilers.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, me too. I also agree that the bad guys are in for a surprise. I sure loving hope so. If it's going to be the clichéd "bad guy beats protagonist, protagonist powers up, protagonist beats bad guy" I'm going to start pulling my hair out :v:

I think whatever Oda does do will almost certainly be entertaining. I don't think I've ever really been disappointed in a One Piece fight.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oilatsnep posted:

Would be great if the manga-speak was kept out of this thread. It's good enough that it's in spoilers tags but god drat it's annoying having half the new posts in here talking about manga spoilers.

Maybe I just shouldn't read this thread

I agree. I think the manga-speak belongs better in the manga thread. If you're going to combine the topic of the anime and manga I think it makes more sense to discuss it in the manga thread where everyone is on the same page. Pun intended. Then you don't need to spoiler it because everyone in the manga thread knows everything the anime people know and the manga people know. I know a lot of people say it doesn't belong in the manga thread because it's talking about upcoming things in the anime, but you're very clearly discussing the manga at that point and not the anime and it just ruins the upcoming episodes for a lot of us that don't read the anime.

That's just my opinion though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm supposed to suspend some of my belief, but I found a lot of her death silly.

First off, you can just recollect the signatures. It's not like people wouldn't redo all the signatures, those kids even had their second versions filled out.

Second off, how hard is it to put out a fire when you live 10,000 meters under the sea?

And lastly, why do they even need the signatures? I guess the World Government wanted them, but when has that ever been a democracy?

I guess all those details aren't very important, but they bothered me.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That was a very interestingly animated episode. They definitely played around a lot more with the visuals this episode.

I'm kind of hoping Brook could kind of show off more and earn his place among the legendary Strawhats, but he's just kind of a weak Zorro right now. After his two year training, he was defeated by a single kick and a punch. I guess it was supposed to be for comedic effect more than an evaluation of his skill. At least he's funny.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess nothing happened? Aside from Brook doing some stuff the episode was basically - Luffy vs Jimbei!!! Some resolution... no wait! Luffy vs Jimbei!!! Though, I guess it was entertaining... Especially since Sanji got what was coming.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I've always kind of wanted them to go back and redo the old stuff to match the current art style. Thinking about it, doing some OVA's of the important stuff is much more feasible and a really cool idea

I've always kind of wanted them to go back and redo the new stuff to match the old art style.

Especially the female character designs. There is not a single reasonably-shaped woman left in the One Piece world, it's just ridiculous looking. Some of the movement animations are kind of wonky with that one animator in my opinion, too.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Captain "Crunch" Ussop

Took me a second, but that definitely made me laugh out loud.

Why does it seem that Chopper can change his hat he was given as long as he maintains the pink background with the X? I would have figured the hat itself would have been the important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

r00tn00b posted:

New Episode.

This is probably one of my favorite ones from this arc.

New episodes come out Saturday night (in my timezone). This was posted Wednesday. Don't get my hopes up like that, that was some 4 days old already.