Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Codeacious posted:

I think the show being on break made me realize how badly paced episodes are now. Jeez, the whole episode could have been done in about two minutes.

It seems like this week was particularly egregious, but man, I dunno.

It's always this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

Why does the colour matter at all?

Sounds like dragon racism to me.🐉

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_dragon?wprov=sfla1

Look at this stupid dragon they used as the cover image for Japanese dragons, what idiots. It's blue, those stupid clowns.

Utagawa Kuniyoshi - one of the last great masters of the Japanese ukiyo-e style of woodblock prints and painting? What a joke.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Start with Skypeia. Especially, the part where they spend 20 episodes of that one guy laughing annoyingly.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amante posted:

Are the anime-only crew sidestories any good or are they just more filler? Can I just skip to the second half and be done with it without losing anything?

It's still unfathomable to me that they got so little time that they did. I was 100% sure they were saving it for some flashback or something, but nope. Just pad for time every episode instead of filling in genuinely interesting material.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The people over at One Piece Animated Inc. are masters, masters!, at cliffhangers!

The episode ends on a cliff if what's-his-face is gonna die; one second later, the preview tells you about how everyone reacts to his death.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 2, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, maybe I've forgotten, but has Chopper reacted to the cherry blossoms at all? (Has he even seen them yet?) They're pretty critical to his backstory. Dr. Hiriluk presumably came to Wanokuni when he was "cured."

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The joke with Cat Viper and hot foods is that people who can't handle hot foods are said to have a "cat tongue." I'm not sure the joke about oden that Oden makes, but I also haven't been listening very hard.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This was a pretty substantial episode. I know not much was really revealed, but it was honestly more than I expected before Luffy arrived there.

I think it's crazy that Franky met Gol D Roger, and we're only finding out about this now.

Also, they probably should have given Buggy a copy of the map. I think it's hilarious he got sick and instead of keeping him around the world's greatest doctor, they denied him the greatest moment of his life.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Feel free to post in the manga thread too if this is to dead for you;

:(

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I will say I never noticed the parts that dragged when I was marathoning it. It's a much more apparent problem when you're watching week to week.

Oh, you haven't reached Skypeia yet?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Haha, now I feel bad saying I'm so happy this arc finally ended.

Maybe it's because I know how it ends, I'm not sure. Maybe I just miss Luffy.

I'm pretty sure the spy is Kanjuro unless all the evidence is a red-herring and it's actually Kin'nemon.

I really like seeing previous holders of fruits. It's funny to think Toki kept her fruit out of circulation for 800 years. It feels tragic she jumped that much, but didn't make it to her original goal. She had so much valuable knowledge.

That's the funny thing about One Piece - there are protagonists who know everything, like Reyleigh, yet somehow all the mysteries are still mysteries.

Kind of messed up Toki left her daughter behind but sent her son into the future. Especially considering what she had to go through.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're about to hit 1,000 episodes. As far as I know, there's nothing special planned for this week's airing, right?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm hype for General Franky vs Big Mom

Looks like it's going to be a while thanks to Robin. They did end up doing something though, and I thought it was a nice tribute. Pretty good episode.
I noticed this before, but they always seem to title the episodes whatever happens in the last 10 seconds / next episode.

I hate that the episode count is such a huge barrier for people. One Piece is pretty consistently very good (it desperately needs some kind of Kai treatment, for sure), but people see the number of episodes and decide not to give it a try, which is a shame.
The people that do eventually get into it always end up switching to the manga eventually too. :(

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

its christmas you dweebs

It's Japan, so New Year's is probably the real issue here. 🍗

But it's not like we've had these kinds of episodes at this time in years past. At least not that I remember. If the crew is actually getting some time off, that's great. I'm sure they need it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Getting a bit tiring everyone stressing how important Momo is despite him never doing anything at all ever. Also he has a sister, who no one cares about, despite being just as much of the bloodline. Even the mom didn't bother sending her to safety in the future.

I guess it parallels the royal family of Japan and how they resisted to the very end to recognize women as potential heirs.

Also Momo doesn't even possess any inherited skills from his father.

It feels at odds with the rest of the theming of One Piece, especially like the Celestials. He's significant only through birth and has some mandate of heaven.

Maybe something will happen later, but for now, it's a bit silly.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm saying the anime does a lot of telling me he's important, but not a lot of showing me he's important.

There's no real reason say Kin'enmon can't be the one to lead the country. He even has experience doing it.

He doesn't really have any motivations or aspirations either. I don't usually like these kind of characters in anime, and I don't feel like it's been done well here. Or maybe it's just because the anime is sooo slow. The part where Luffy forces him to actually do something instead of hiding behind Kin'enmon was nice at least.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Well you're going to have to dodge Twitter and reddit before the official release uhhhhh good luck with that.

Done and done.

There's no new episode this week either? This is the third week with no episode, right?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of recap episodes :'(
At least I can always say that while the process is slow, One Piece is (usually) consistently fantastic.
I wonder how this fight is going to play out. Usually fights are one-on-one, but there's 2 emperors and the 5 top upstarts.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 26, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

'the final saga'

I've been watching this show for so long it's hard to imagine a post-One Piece world.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nico Robin is always so fantastic. Easily one of my favorite characters in anime.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One Piece is really getting hard to stay interested in. I just want it to hurry to an end. Which is such a huge shame because I still consider it one of my favorite anime.

I can't believe how many episodes I fell behind recently. And they were almost all recaps and movie tie-ins. And now that I'm caught up, the next episode is another recap.

Haki and technology are just so poorly handled in the series right now imo.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

After talking about One Pace I saw on youtube a comparison of a scene from Wano arc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z6umwBs5I

It's like a parody.

Having seen sumou irl, I can say with certainty the original version of the One Piece anime captures the agonizing slowness of real sumou matches.

One Pace is definitely the superior viewing experience over the original anime, but I sometimes feel like they are a bit overzealous with what they cut. I remember rewatching some part and they took out some joke I really liked. In the linked clip, I don't understand why they removed Luffy throwing salt or doing the fundoshi grab. Throwing salt is like 90% of a real sumou match. I guess it wasn't in the manga or something maybe?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I preferred those because you could just check out a for months and come back when it was over.

Yeah, at least with filler something interesting potentially could happen. Padding just makes all the good stuff not as good and it's really hard to skip. One Piece lends itself well to filler and even famously has such a good filler arc that people think it's canon. I wish they did filler instead of padding.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I watch it weekly :shobon:

:same:

I always thought it was strange that one of the most popular anime ever has one of the deadest threads. :(

Wano has been interesting at times, but I'm really ready for it to be over. Alas next episode is a recap...

The entire Sanji arc has been odd. It feels extremely tacked on. It tries to play both sides of "Sanji is special from birth" and "Sanji is special because of his hard work and convictions". He's genetically enhanced, but actually he was poisoned, but actually he is. He decides that these things are just tools in his toolbox, but also destroys the suit (albeit he does decide this after it's already destroyed).
The timeline is really weird too. Like Law and Queen are aware of Stealth Black, but when did Sanji ever do any work for Germa 66?
None of it fits the setting either.
All-in-all, I really dislike the whole Germa 66 stuff, and I'm glad Queen is finally defeated.

On the flip side,

I really loved the Robin vs Quelaag fight. The fanservice was a bit much and the entire mist flashback whatever was mostly just a waste of time, but everything else was great. Sanji trusting and relying on Robin was cool, Robin turning into a demon felt thematic and a good evolution of her power, giant Octo-Robin was really cool but disappointing that it didn't do much, but Robin suddenly busting out fishman karate (and dragon claw fist) was extremely awesome. The fury sword fire pug halberd was fun too.

I thought it was weird Hatch was briefly trying to discourage others from teaching Robin new techniques in her flashback, and it was also weird that Robin felt like she might want to just stick with slaps. It's already like the least threatening attack someone could make, but also why turn down learning something? I'm sure it's just filler, but it stuck out to me as odd.

Still: Robin best character.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

1) Most of the people on the forums read the manga first and mainly post in there, many just stick to the Manga and just check out the anime for particular scenes or episodes that are done well. A big part of this is the terrible pacing of the anime as a whole.

Yeah, I know, but it's still funny that one of the most popular anime still can't maintain enough anime-only viewers to have the anime thread not be so dead. Truly a testament to how bad the pacing is. I'm glad this thread is always spoiler-free at least.

Julias posted:

2) Law is aware of Germa 66 because of the comic in the world economic times, which is a propaganda piece about the warrior Sora fighting against the evil germa 66. Queen is aware of germa66 because in the past both he and Judge were members of a group of scientists called MADS, way before Sanji was born.

Spoilers :P (? Or did the anime inexplicably skip saying that like how they don't animate the bonus stories like Enel on the Moon even though they are desperate for filler)
But also, that doesn't explain how Law is aware of Stealth Black before Stealth Black was even born.

Julias posted:

3) The Robin stuff wasn't filler except for stretching out the illusions from a couple of panels to like half an episode.

It doesn't have to be filler to be a waste of time. :colbert:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

We got told about the germa comics back in whole cake arc, and law learned about stealth black from them, despite there not being an actual stealth black in the real world since Sanji was a failure. The features of sanji's stealth black matched the fictional character was all.

This is the part I was talking about. It makes no sense. Law, Queen, and the propagandists were all aware of Sanji's evil alter ego before even Sanji was. Maybe Queen was aware of Judge's plans to build the suits from their time working together, but still.

Also, apparently Queen does mention MADS in the anime, though it gets drowned out from all the noise of the incessant padding.

I didn't realize it until I checked the wiki for when Queen mentioned MADS, but Fish-Man Island was 500 episodes ago. Half the anime has been New World.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

The zoro vs king episode got some ufotable quality animation for the ending, it's definitely worth a watch for just the spectacle.

I missed that I was behind by an episode and thought you meant this one:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's right, only americans can save One Piece

We're at least several decades away from them letting the Swiss touch the series.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TGG posted:

They did it, they got it right.

I'm a bit shocked, I felt the opposite. More than usual, it felt like the same exact same sequence was used over and over and over again. The same eyes-popping-out gag was also used over and over. Half the episode was Hiyori standing there monologuing. Tons and tons of slow, lengthy flashbacks...
I was really looking forward to this episode, trying really hard to avoid spoilers, yet I enjoyed it maybe the least of any episode in a long time. I hate to be so negative, especially when everyone else seemed to enjoy it, but I was really disappointed by this episode.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

From what I know off the top, Joy Boy made all the poneglyphs during the century that was erased from the world's memory, was buddies with Zunesha, and I figure also made the One Piece and stuck it at Laugh Tale island. I'm guessing that big rear end straw hat in the World Government basement was his. It looks like Luffy's fruit turns him into Joy Boy, or Joy Boy ate the same fruit way back then. Joy Boy probably overthrew the world government or was really close to doing it before getting killed somehow, and now Luffy is going down the same path. This could all be wrong. I've never read the manga.

The poleglyphs were made by the Kozuki clan. The knowledge was passed down through the generations until Oden died before he could pass it on to Momonosuke. Though the Fish Man Island poneglyph is specifically an apology from Joyboy about not upholding his promise involving the giant ship Noah.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Man what an incredible 2 episodes.

Does anyone know of a lore dump that’s anime only, or at least doesn’t spoil passed where the anime is? I don’t read the manga, but I’d really love to lore brush up without spoilers.

About what specifically? I think it's a pretty complicated story at this point. Some random lore dumps: Garp is famous for defeating Rox, the former captain of Kaido and Linlin. Toki was born near the beginning of the Void Century before traveling all the way to the near current age.
Also, and this didn't make it into the anime, but: apparently the giant boar that Oden cut clean in half, was cut so clean, they put it back together and it continued to live on.

This is the stuff I don't understand. There's so much extra stuff in the manga that never gets animated. They are strapped for content, but don't ever use this stuff. :sigh:

Zark the Damned posted:

A fun episode, though doesn't quite make up for all the pacing issues.

The past few episodes have been pretty divisive imo. Maybe the divide is between frequent viewers and not. The recent King fight has really highlighted how much better the episodes could have been imo. Maybe there was miscommunication and they're saving up their screentime for the finale of the fight instead.
I love what Oda has written, but personally, I feel like Toei hasn't been delivering. Oh well, the YouTube supercuts are great.

:kimchi:

Zark the Damned posted:

Weird that a Wano ending sequence has been added this late into the arc, though I guess it does save them 90 seconds of animation per episode from now on.

I noticed that, but wasn't sure if the subbers had just been leaving it out or if it was new.

dipwood posted:

Kaido voring Luffy then complaining that Luffy isn't taking the fight seriously was weird. Kaido has also been messing around basically this whole time.

Even more weird was when Luffy accused Kaido of not taking the fight seriously. I guess they both just think they're the only one being serious.

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm enjoying the fight again but it really feels like Luffy is taking his sweet time with this fight while his friends and allies continue to die and the fire spreads. I would think he wants to win ASAP.

If only there was someone who could stop the fire...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uh, I guess about everything?

I wanted to brush up on lore without rewatching or reading the whole manga without spoiling what’s coming, but I do understand that’s a big ask.

I can try. I might have some details wrong though.

Between 800 and 900 years ago, there's a century missing from the records that the World Government hid. The leaders of the nations that formed the World Government left their countries to live in Marienjos, except the Nefertari family. Interestingly, the Nefertari also guard a Poneglyph in their hidden tomb. King Cobra claims they're protecting it, but Robin (at least at the time) claims they were just hiding it from the world. The ancient weapons date to this time as well. Toki is also from this time period.

There's also a giant strawhat the World Government is hiding somewhere for some reason.

The poneglyphs were made by the Kozuki family and (I guess) given to ancient people to defend. All the poneglyphs have been on islands associated with irl ancient empires like Aztecs/Mayans / Atlantis / Ancient Egyptians, etc. They're said to be nearly indestructible. There are 9 poneglyphs that compose the Rio Poneglyph, which contains the true history of the world. There are also 4 Road Poneglyphs needed to reach Laugh Tale. In total, there are 30 Poneglyphs. The Strawhats have 3 of the Road ones.

Some of the poneglyphs are about the ancient weapons, of which there are three. One is buried in Alabasta, one is the Mermaid Princess, the other is still unknown.
Crocodile wanted to find the Alabasta one. He has some secret that Ivankof knows. He also has some unknown grudge against Whitebeard.

Gol Roger and Luffy can "hear the voice of all things".

Doflamingo is the son of a former Celestial and has special knowledge.

Kaido and Linlin were formerly part of the same crew under Rox. At some point, Garp defeated Rox, which earned him the title Hero of the Navy.

There's a giant ship near Fishman Island that is said to be part of some promise. The sea kings that drive/pull it said it's not time yet for it.

Tashigi was introduced as someone who was frustrated that the world looked down on her as a woman swordfighter and was overtly a strong parallel to Zoro's childhood friend, but has since decided to be completely mediocre and useless and completely fine with that.

That's everything I can think of for now.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, I keep forgetting to mention this, but: the lead up episodes to Red were really weird.

Red spoilers maybe:
There was something really off and spooky about Shank's crew. I figured it was like somehow a dream or they all knew something bad was going to happen or something. But there's no real way they knew anything was going to happen.
And then the entire movie hinged on them lying and covering up what happened and abandoning her for no reason. I don't see how it benefited anyone at all. She even dies because they didn't just tell her what happened. And on top of it, she found out herself not too long after.
The guy also is like, "Oh, I didn't destroy the music that could destroy the world because I just really like music too much." And then she dies and the music dies and all of this could have been avoided.

Also, why Oven? He's the most generic and boring character in One Piece.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I for sure didn’t intend for some goon to take their time to write it up, so thanks this is certainly helpful.

I did see film Red.

IIRC Uta was left there because there was risk of Tot musica being summoned anywhere Uta was. Or risk of someone with nefarious intentions capturing her and forcing Tot musica out via Uta so she had to be hidden away. And considering the world ending power, shanks had no choice.

I take shank’s crews’ spooky vibe as the crew realizing they are there to kill shank’s daughter, who they view as a beloved crew member.

Also, Gordon failing to destroy the sheet because of his true love of music isn’t even the 10th time someone has failed to do a task set for them because of their “love of x” in One Piece.

Realistically, most of the OP movies are barely cannon to outright outside the realm of OP reality. For fucks sake the film showed Gear 5 and shank’s crew meeting luffy’s crew (however loosely), something that has been hyped for nearly the entire series.

They were super creepy during the lead-in episodes on Windmill Island, which was before anyone knew the Tot Musica even existed.

And as far as I could tell, she needed to encounter the sheet music again to reactivate it. So keeping her on the island was the worst thing they could have done.

I also disliked that Shanks met up with the crew, even if they were separated by a dream barrier or whatever. It's supposed to be one of the climaxes of the story, not part of some random movie. I was also worried when they shoehorned in some character into what's basically Luffy's origin story as soon as they announced Uta.

And I don't know why all the more recent One Piece movies have to all have these world-ending events.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

Definitely watch the new one piece episode when it comes out. New OP and one of the most amazing animated sequences in the series so far, up there with the zoro vs king fight.

It was wonderful. Definitely made me smile at points.

I started to get worried the opening was going to be entirely that circle with reused animation from earlier epsidoes with a filter over it. The song is pretty good. Though introducing another Wano Kuni opening at when I was hoping the arc was winding down does not bode well for when we'll finally be moving on.

It's a really good thing we have Kaido to remind us constantly that Luffy's power is ridiculous or we might not know.

I always find it weird how episode titles so consistently describe the next episode.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Very little.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Rocks_D._Xebec

Seems like he was mostly a character used to show why Roger trusted Garp.

Roger tells Garp while he's in prison that they've been in numerous battles to the death against each other and that's why he trusts him.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wrt the latest episode:

The manga made it look like Kaido was sent into the ground at warp speed after the punch connected, but the anime made it seem like "normal fast" instead. Also kind of weird that they had Kaido make reactions using his human/oni face instead of, you know, his dragon face. A little disappointed in that part, but fine with the fight wrapping up as a whole.

A lot of stuff is ruined by this. I especially hated the final attack against Cesaer.

After the last episode, I didn't feel any kind of excitement or anything, just glad it's finally over. It wasn't bad, just so slow.

Momonosuke spent like 40 episodes whining about how he can't do a thing while everyone keeps saying they have the utmost confidence in this guy who has never done anything, then he just suddenly does it. It didn't even happen on screen.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I understand now why people thought they "nailed it" with the Gear 5 intro - they were watching this last recap.

Seriously, it was nearly the entire fight, with no extra dialog or repeated animation or any 15 minute cut away to someone explaining stuff we've heard 80 times already. Even the "commentators" barely said anything the entire episode. Though they almost exclusively only say things like "Big brother Luffy is so cool!" anyway.

It was a much better version of the fight. (Though it did cut out a tiny bit of the fun stuff.)

Every 5-6 episodes, they have a recap. It's absurd. Are they going to do this for the rest of the show? It's not like Oda is going to suddenly double his rate of releasing chapters.

They have so so so much unused content like the cover stories that they never touch. I think it's because the anime is meant as an advertisement for the manga, and that's why they keep all this bonus stuff there, but man, the anime is disappointing.

It's already impossible to convince anyone I know to watch, and now I don't even think it's right to try.

It feels like they don't want to do filler because they don't want to do the work involved, imo. I feel bad for all the people who work hard on this, and then it just grinds all the fun out of it with its pacing.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Not a fan of teasing Shanks finally meeting Luffy and then reneging, again.

Am a fan of Bart loving around in Shanks' territory.

I hope we get a few episodes showing the chaos happening in the rest of the world.

Didn't he say they'd meet at the Pirate Summit? Nvm, Ace told Luffy that.
Still, I was sure they weren't going to meet yet, so I was mostly just waiting for him to decline. Also, I don't think they would have bothered showing the crew asking to see him, he would have just went.

But these last few episodes have been way, way better than all the fight ones. The pacing is so much better. I honestly kept thinking the episode was about to end several times during the last one and was pleasantly surprised when it kept going. Real good stuff.

I was pretty surprised when Yamato said he wanted to join the Strawhats; the crew already feels very bloated, and I'm not sure there's any position not yet filled on the ship. I guess he's had those little eyecatcher commercial break things hinting at him being more important than the other characters.

I also find he's tremendously inconsistent with claiming to be Oden. I would understand if he clarified that he inherited his spirit or something, but he introduces himself as Yamato, son of Kaido, a lot. And Oden would be the rightful Shogun, but he doesn't try at all to assert that he holds that title. Not that Oden did either, but like aside from claiming to be Momonosuke's dad, I don't see why Yamato claims to be Oden, which feels kind of cruel. To Momonosuke, Oden died really recently. Also, I'm not sure if he's ever interacted with Hiyori at all. I guess wanting to sail the seas and not taking on any responsibilities is Oden-like though.

Genuinely excited! :sickos:

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don’t read the manga so even if I’m right these aren’t spoilers. Just my understanding. I’ll spoiler them anyway just in case even though they only contain info from released episodes.

The ability to read the phoneglyphs and translate the path to the one piece is a secret passed down by Oden’s family, and the reason Oden was so important for Roger’s journey.

Yamato has read over and over all of Oden’s travel journals, and presumably now understands how to do that. I would assume mono has not learned this secret due to what happened in Wano.

For Luffy, Yamato is going to be his Oden, their translator.

Plus, Yamato is the best addition to the straw hats (if it actually happens) since Franky.

He read his journal, but I doubt it contained a language textbook.

Momo was specifically said to have not been taught yet by his father. You would think that the former Shogun still being alive with that specific knowledge would have given Robin a chance to learn something or Momo to learn, but apparently, he just decided to contribute nearly nothing and stay hidden. Which then - why even bother having that reveal? Maybe something will happen later, I don't know.

Also, yeah, Robin can read them. That's why everyone wants to capture her. Not sure how Blackbeard or Shanks intend to reach the island yet without her.