Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It has to be less than 3 years overall because the characters have only aged two years. Luffy was 17 when the show started and he is 19 after the timeskip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KoB posted:

Zoro is the best. All his attacks are delicious puns.
I fixed that for you.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Liar posted:

We've already floated around a LOT of stupid theories about his eye; ranging from it just being missing, to keeping it closed for night vision, all the way up to some crazy Sharingan poo poo.
I have a feeling that he is going to just open it at some point and nothing is going to happen. Like he had just forgotten to open one of his eyes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Judging by the upcoming episode titles I wouldn't expect any real fighting to start happening until July

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I caught up with the show during Impel Down, and I feel like Marineford was dragging way more than Fishman Island has so far. Are they actually only getting in one chapter an episode?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've always kind of wanted them to go back and redo the old stuff to match the current art style. Thinking about it, doing some OVA's of the important stuff is much more feasible and a really cool idea

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was thinking more along the lines of putting stuff into Widescreen/HD, but I 100% agree with you that the female anatomy has become nearly unbearable. I would take first episode human looking Nami over current Nami any day.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I feel like the animation was a lot better in this episode too. I didn't see any shots were someone looked like they were drawn wrong like last week.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There was also no chapter this week. I don't know why though!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I was really excited for a second, but the episodes are subtitled. :( Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm psyched to see the Davy Back arc dubbed.

The only way you are doing it wrong is if you are watching the dubbed episodes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Full Metal Alchemist and Panty & Stocking are all much more enjoyable in English than in Japanese, otherwise it's typically a matter of taste. I only ever call a dub better if the voices fit the characters better than the originals, they have a good localization that isn't afraid to change poo poo if it makes things easier to understand/funnier, and overall work to make the show as good if not better than if they had produced it themselves. As you can tell by my list, the shows that get that kind of treatment aren't many, but they do exist.

Funi's One Piece dub isn't one of them solely because the voices don't better their Japanese counterparts.

Exactly. I never said the Funimation dub was "bad" it just isn't as good as the original voice actors. To me it's like the English voice actors are just doing their best imitation of the characters. Also I can't imagine they can even get anyone that can do Franky justice.
Most of all though I think it depends on what you have watched more of. I was absolutely fine with the 4kids voices when I was younger. It wasn't until I had watched the show in Japanese that I realized how horrible they were.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 27, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

Man if anyone ever does a dub of Franky they better be able to do the SUUUUPER right or god damnit I could not stand it.

I could be completely wrong on this, but as I understand it, Oda actually wrote Franky specifically with Kazuki Yao because he liked his work on Jango and Mr. 2 so much. I don't think anyone can do it like him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

I still don't know which is funnier, Franky's antics or Nami and Robin's complete disdain for them. Also Chopper makes the cutest roar mankind has ever heard.

Edit: It's truly impressive how many of Luffy's buttons Hody has managed to push so far. We're quickly approaching a place where the only thing left is for him to rave about how great the cherry pie of a nameless bar in Jaya is.

He also hasn't messed with his hat yet

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm watching Strong World for the first time and the fan service is loving ridiculous. Nami might as well not even be wearing clothes. What the hell, Oda?

I don't even know if it's fanservice as much as it's just Oda being perverted. Until recently I would have said One Piece is my favorite series far and beyond anything else, but Hunter x Hunter has been really refreshing if only for the fact that every single character doesn't have watermelons strapped to her chest.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Are they just starting from the beginning? That could be cool to introduce people to the series who are intimidated be the 500+ episodes. Other than that I can't see any reason for this.
EDIT
To the post above me, do you realize you just described cable?

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 21, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dukeofdummies posted:

I totally agree with this. Robin rarely if ever participates in a battle directly. She is a stealthy stealthy woman who would put solid snake to shame.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if she was really hiding in a box the whole battle, and not a single Robin on the battlefield is the real one. :tinfoil:

Do you think Robins can bloom on the battlefield?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

D1Sergo posted:

You missed a Metal Gear Solid reference, don't worry about it. :mmmhmm:

This is just like one of my Japanese Animes!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would be really interested in seeing something about a previous owner of a devil fruit we've already seen. Actually I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard of anything like that. The devil fruits can make people so powerful I'm sure there are tons of legends/stories about them.

I want to see the person who had the Gum-Gum fruit before Luffy

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 24, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
This is only a small spoiler I think, but for everyone getting annoyed with Nami and Robin's clothing situations, part of the next arc will take place somewhere very cold.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Foxy showing up the first time isn't filler. The next two times he does show up is filler. also We Are! was only the opening for like 47 episodes. Are you watching this in English?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I haven't been watching the show lately, but have they switched to the new opening yet?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gyges posted:

You'd also have to go to Youtube for Luffy's actions at the auction house.
Naw that's on hulu

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The first Con I went to like 4 or 5 years ago I got really pissed at chopper because that was the ONLY One Piece stuff they had. It's gotten much better since then though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

KoB posted:

One of the first few openings spoiled Robin being in the crew like way before Alabasta even started.

It was actually like 2 episodes before she showed up on their ship.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure it was before Luffy even fought Croc the third time, well before the arc was over.

I just looked it up and you guys are right. It starts on one of the episodes Zoro is fighting Mr. 1
Weird, I remember it spoiling Robin joining the crew almost immediately before she does last time I watched it with someone.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, but it's not like they can catch up now. It seems like they're keeping pace for the most part, so if they went back to 2 chapters per episode, they'd just have to slow back down once they got within a few chapters of current. Or worse, they might have to slow down even more if Oda has a couple skipped weeks for illness or whatever.

Apparently, whatever One Piece is doing is the right way to do it because it's more popular than ever in Japan. It hasn't fallen off a cliff like Naruto and Bleach did, so I imagine the viewing public has a much higher tolerance for crap pacing than crap filler. My wife is still thrilled as hell to watch a new episode of One Piece each week, even when loving nothing happens (like last week).
Ugh I don't even feel like most of the filler in One Piece was that bad. I seriously wish every show just moved to seasons instead of every single week. Or go back to filler arcs

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Srice posted:

Though I'm sure they'll do the Kai treatment to One Piece eventually, years after the show is over I'm sure they'll want to milk it some more. Maybe in a decade or so we'll finally have a One Piece anime with great pacing :smith:

Yeah right. Maybe in 10 years One Piece will be over

EDIT: I understand why they won't switch to seasons it just bums me out because it could be so much better.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

I noticed it, too, that Master uses the word "candy" despite the fact that Japanese has at least two other words they use more often and have an easier time pronouncing. It could be because these aren't typical candies, ie Master is giving them a name like how Kleenex isn't just any tissue paper.

They certainly have candy in Japan. Though to be fair, their idea of candy isn't as sweet as ours, and they usually eat things like sembei as treats.

I'm pretty sure they also have words for stuff like "Super" and "Skull Joke". It's more of a stylistic thing when they use English words sometimes I think.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kild posted:

I tried to marathon through Impel down and Marineford but I had to skip the first half of every episode because it was just a 10 minute recap of Luffy screaming Ace.

Someone should go in and DBZ Kai that poo poo. Edit it down to like 5 episodes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning an edit of Marineford floating around a while back, but all my googling has turned up nothing but dead links these days :(

It wouldn't be too hard. Even if you're just cutting out all of the recap that would help a lot.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drakkel posted:

As for devils fruits: Also it seems likely that each devil fruit is based on a specific kind of fruit, and when a user dies the power goes into another fruit of the same type. Smiley's fruit was shaped like an apple, so they had a ton of apples nearby just to be sure it appeared there.

The marines should know this right? Why didn't they have fruits on hand to recapture Ace's power? Shouldn't that be common practice when executing devil fruit users?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

Presumably they didn't know what kind of fruit Ace's fruit originated from? CC created Smiley so he could have known it was an apple.

Also that episode was excruciating to watch. So many awful cuts and reaction shots of people yelling and running.

Isn't there an encyclopedia of all of the fruits? If not then just get a bunch of fruits and hope for the best.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah when they first get the fruit it takes a while to train their body to have that response. If Ace's body was 100% flames all the time he would have a pretty hard time sailing around on wooden ships.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drakkel posted:

We just got a good example when Tashigi was in Smokers body and couldn't figure out how to turn into smoke. Every other time we've seen a Logia user they've trained for years to the point that they can go intangible on instinct.

Exactly. Especially at this point in the show, you didn't get this far if you can't even manage basic skills like that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Allarion posted:

Well, the anime did give the next arc, the Sabaody Archipelago Arc, justice in terms of emotional impact in my opinion. Though I could just be thinking solely of the climax of it, which the anime tends to do better at than at the buildup parts of an arc, which tends to have padding.

Yeah, without going into spoilers, the confrontation in the Auction House should absolutely be watched. It's one of the best parts in the whole anime.
It is episode 296.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 21, 2013

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I had never really thought about it that way. Along those same lines I would be heartbroken if we never got to see Mr. 2 again.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I think the only one I am not sure of as far as crew deserving to be there is Brooks. Only so much :yohoho: can be done before it gets tiring. He is a passable fighter but overall pretty useless due to cowardice in nearly every situation.

Chopper is probably one of the more useful crew members and is always forgotten it seems.

Yo did you forget about that part where Brook can control people's minds

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

Brook can become a ghost and that is swell, but hasn't shown to be particularly useful.
Unless of course you count the part where he saved Zoro and Usopp from drowning I guess you could call it useless.

Crazyeyes posted:

The hell you say? You mean when he played the music and everyone hallucinated?

Yeah. Also the part where he played music and put all those people to sleep? I'm kinda joking when I say mind control but he can cause people to hallucinate and forget where they are or what they are doing.

Brook also beat one of the roided out fishmen by himself.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

User0015 posted:

You guys talking about the manga being so amazing suck.

Which chapter is it on right now?

Just get weekly shoneni jump. It's like $25 a year and it comes out same day as Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Why hasn't everyone here already subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump. If you don't do it you're a jerk.