Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh man, Brook's speech about Luffy and how he's going to be the Pirate King made me choke up. Lame, but true. It's just that, looking back on all these years of the Straw Hats bonding together and getting stronger and seeing them develop into legitimate bad-asses feared/recognized by the world and actually becoming a force to be reckoned with like Shank's group is amazing.

I swear the ending of all of this is going to make me cry like a bitch. :blush: It will be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Random, but what is everyone's favorite opening theme? I didn't know what to think of the new opening at first, but now it's easily my favorite theme out of the fifteen so far. I also really liked the fourteenth one at the time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Eiba posted:

:words:

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but you're talking about a shonen manga in Japan that actually gives characters like Mr. 2, Ivankov, and Inazuma personality without pigeon-holing them into a stereotypically comical/degrading corner like the rest of the transvestites shown.

I think the fact that Mr. 2, Ivankov, and Inazuma exist at all as they do in a highly popular, mainstream manga and anime series in Japan - let alone a Western country - is remarkably progressive on the whole. The offensive stereotypes of transvestites really suck, but the alternative of no role models at all is far too common otherwise. This is at least a step in the right direction.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 7, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mushroom_spore posted:

So many great background antics in this episode. The camera angles on Nami's breasts are ridiculous, though.

But how else would we know that Nami is fixing her bikini top? :ohdear:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Liar posted:

At the current progression of her clothes getting less and less covering I imagine sometime around when we next run into Blackbeard she'll be topless anyway, so by then it won't matter.

Maybe the One Piece is actually a Dead or Alive Volleyball Venus bathing suit? :smug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

gnome7 posted:

I like to think Franky is living his dream, while all the others are chasing a dream.

I'd say Luffy is living the dream too. He wants to find One Piece and become the Pirate King, sure, but it's the adventure in pursuing those objectives that he lives for.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Haha, FINALLY they get to this great part! :dance:

I'm definitely going to show this episode to my roommate today who likes Fairy Tail to turn him on to One Piece. :D

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
In Episode 643, when Doflamingo talks about Fujitora's Ryokugyu, what does he mean by that? Google gives me nothing.\

[e]: Wait, is that Fujitora's nickname? Like, from before he was Admiral?

[e2]: Derp, forgot that was the third unseen Admiral. :downs: Never mind!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 12, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bondster posted:

Its been a while since I've been in this thread! Yea I will probably need to update the OP at some point (unless someone wants to make a new one, I haven't been watching the anime for a while now).

However, I did catch the new special they put up on Crunchyroll "3D2Y" that takes place during the timeskip. Its a neat little side story with some characters being awesome and other being kinda pointless save for 5 seconds. Now, I decided to catch this special as when it was announced it claimed to have something "The fans have been waiting for" and I can safely say that yes IT HAS SOMETHING PRETTY BIG IN IT (but it's in the last 10 seconds so you have to watch until the very end).

And here's the link to the Crunchyroll page for it!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm betting on Dragon having a legendary Zoan fruit for a Chinese dragon or something. Usually there are hints dropped at what fruit a user might have, such as Whitebeard's earthquake laugh.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shadow0 posted:

It's funny that he had 50 years to train, but it only took 2 to gain a whole new dimension to his powers after joining the crew. Must be the Luffy effect. (But how did he learn he could run on water when he was alone at sea? Seems like a dangerous thing to test.)

During the timeskip Brook had an urgent reason to innovate and find ways to break through his limits to be ready for the New World with Luffy and co.

Chilling on a dead ship for X amount of years doesn't have nearly the same urgency or need to innovate or explore your DF powers.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, I still think the Hajrudin vs Machvise scene is my favorite of this arc so far, followed by Zoro's Sanzen Sekai attack on Pica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3alaPoylc

The voice acting is really well done IMO.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Barely anything happened this episode. :sigh:

When you subtract the intro, previous episode recap, and next episode preview, there's like 10 minutes of new footage. That's not even counting the filler and recycled animation.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh boy! It's the next episode of One Piece! :neckbeard:

*click*

Wait, what? Another episode of... Foxy?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :gonk:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thoren posted:

Zoro vs Pica was awful. The music and animation were both so bad.

I dunno, I liked it in the manga so it's nice to see it animated. :shobon:

I'm not a fan of Haki being a Super Saiyan pew pew aura though. It's fine as an outer covering, the rainbow colors and lightning bolts are a bit excessive.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shadow0 posted:

I don't understand what's not to like about Foxy. I really enjoyed the Foxy arcs. Especially enjoyed it a lot more than this pacing.

Also, not a fan of haki overall. It was cool in moderation, but now it's kind of gone DBZ on itself. Also, yeah, those wavy lines are pretty lame imo.

Canon Foxy is okay.

Filler Foxy is aggravating and annoying.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, based off of this week's episode preview, it looks like...

:siren: (MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS FOR ANIME-ONLY VIEWERS) :siren:

We'll finally be getting to see Gear Fourth animated this coming weekend. It'll probably be at the tail-end of the next episode with actual Gear Fourth action the following episode, but great timing for the start of the new year! Looking forward to it! :neckbeard:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

galahan posted:

It doesn't actually show it yet, as we thought. I streamed it from funimation.

Technically it shows the transformation in the preview.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Apparently Naotoshi Shida is supposed to be animating the next episode, which is the A-lister animator for when Toei blows their animation budget on key scenes (examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQiIZp7hEk ).

So... Get hyped? :confuoot:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

Just lol if you think they aren't gonna draw this out to painful levels. Half if not more of the episode will be a slow reveal and flashbacks. Episode will probably end soon after the first punch is thrown.

I hope they at least show (manga spoilers) Kong Gun or whatever with the Kamehameha stance that blows Doffy through several buildings at once. That was pretty sick to see in the manga.

Also, :effort: lazy quote from manga thread:

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

While you're still waiting for the next One Piece chapter episode to drop, please enjoy this Aokiji-themed chillwave video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rp7zSW1Oc :okpos:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 13, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Rewatching the newest episode a few times, I have to say I liked some parts but was disappointed by others.

Parts I liked:
*I really like the new orchestral track for the Gear Fourth transformation!
*I actually liked the "fooooooooosu!" line and kabuki facial expressions. That, the music, the Buddhist deity of wrath (Nio) cloth-like wisps of smoke around the shoulders, the fierce frown and no nonsense attitude, and weird metal spring bounce sound effects really make Luffy seem like he's transformed into a real monster. He's not messing around, and he's going to kick your rear end all over the place.
Note: The alternative name for Nio is Kongōrikishi, which probably means Kong Gun has a double-meaning with King Kong as a gorilla with animal-themed attacks as well as fitting with Luffy's wrathful nature after making his friends upset. :eng101:
*I kind of liked the actual transformation scene. It didn't seem too... Akira-y with the extending limbs, if that makes sense.
*I also kind of like the shiny black and red highlights in the arms. It's like his blood and muscle is glowing through his skin.
*The cranking back and exploding force sfx with Kong Gun is pretty cool
*Using the old-school Luffy fight music after "This crappy attack won't work on me!" bouncing back Doffy's Athlete Tread was a nice throw-back to the beginning of One Piece to show how Luffy is totally wrecking and out-classing Doffy

Parts I didn't like:
*The usual filler padding. The "Oh no! The bird's cage is closing in!" routine is getting really old and it's been done every. single. episode. Even the manga wasn't that bad about it.
*Baby 5's wife schtick is way overdone as well to the point of cringe. It was funny like once or twice as a gag, but now it's just aggravating.
*Bartolomeo's Luffy-sempai thing. Overdone, but still amusing I guess.
*I agree, the Gear Fourth bouncing I imagined in the manga was like a super bouncy ball that kids play with, instead of physically jumping up and down like it looks like here.
*Really disappointed with the sonic boom sfx as Doffy was being thrown in the air with Kong Gun. I imagined more of a high-pitched lightning crack and thunder peal rather than the low rumble we got.
*Luffy's legs turning into jet-like fire blasts when "flying" looked really weird in a bad way, IMO. I imagined Geppou-like blurs versus literal jet-engine flames.
*They put on the sandals with Rhino Schneider (I think this was an animator oversight), which also looked a hell of lot less impactful than in the manga. It really looked like it hit Doffy's face like a truck through the Haki in the manga, whereas here it's a lot plainer.
*Some of the angles on Luffy in Gear Fourth made him look really wonky, like him hovering in the air before the Athlete Tread bit.
*The Culverin Python bit was way, way too overextended to the point of it looking really bad. Like another poster mentioned, it made it look like his arms stretched out for a million miles following Doffy, smashing through an Overheat, then connecting, when in the manga it was just a clever bait-and-switch. Basically ruined the point of this whole scene that Luffy was more agile and clever in eclipsing Doffy at this point IMO.

Bonus *huge* end of Luffy vs Doffy fight manga-spoiler related negative point

...AKA don't read this if you're only watching the anime!:
*I really, really didn't like the extended fight in the air filler scene at the end of the episode because a big point emphasized by the end of the fight is that Luffy is taking a huge risk by going flying up and taking Doffy head-on in the air, which is supposed to be Doffy's natural advantage kind of like Fishmen in the water. That's what makes Luffy's final King Kong Gun attack so bad-rear end because he takes all that, spits in Doffy's eye, and slams him back into the ground. A literal and metaphorical smackdown to a guy so conceited and who has literally all of his life considered himself above everyone else being humbled by this rookie upstart.

So, like with Hody Jones, the animators basically eschew all of that nuance for some added filler that messes everything up. Ugh.

So, yeah, that's my extended :spergin: take on the episode. Some good mixed with a lot of bad. Looking forward to One Piece Kai, I guess.

e: I just keep comparing this episode to the Luffy Gear Second vs Blueno fight in my mind for what a shift into complete ownage should look like and it's just... Ugh. :sigh: The anime has really consistently gone downhill since Marineford and it's a drat shame.

Here, see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzGba31ces

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 17, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Decided to watch the episode because people were saying it was good.

Holy poo poo it's bad. It's just... ugly. I didn't realize the anime had somehow gotten so ugly. The pacing is as bad as it's been for literally years but between the animation getting even cheaper the colours being even more flat and the backgrounds being so nondescript that this could just as easily be anywhere in the world and the still pans being so shittily drawn that the can't even get a nose onto somebody's face properly during the intro which should have a higher budget...

How is it still getting shittier? I thought they had hit rock bottom years ago!

I call it the Bethesda effect. If it's gonna sell like hot cakes regardless of quality assurance, why not cut corners and maximize profit?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, looking at the manga again, it would've been a lot better if they for Kong Gun, jump-cut from the initial punch to beside the building, showed the shockwave effect, then a lightning strike-esque "BANG!" sound effect kind of like the delay between seeing lightning and hearing thunder.

See:

But, filler reasons. :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 17, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

F. Lobot posted:

When I say the episode was good, it comes with the disclaimer that I obviously fast forwarded past the intro, recap and easy to spot scenes of running away from birdcages and reaction shots.

So, 5 minutes tops?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Suspicious Lump posted:

More, a lot more. Something like 15 minutes. It's loving crazy how much filler they have added and how bad it was.

Are you including the filler added to new scenes from the manga?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Rhino Schneider looked pretty limp and mediocre in this episode.

In the manga:

Yeah, definitely looks like Doffy's getting hit by a freight train here. The stiffness on Luffy's feet and Doffy's face getting smushed in really make this shot.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, I just found out this thing exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUfINDJUTk

Doffy! :swoon:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The new episode dropped.

So, based on this new info on Devil Fruit Awakening, that means if Akainu knows how to awaken his Magma-Magma fruit (which he most likely does), then...

Luffy will literally have to play a game of "the floor is lava" in beating him!

:haw::hf::aaaaa:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm guessing crocodile's power is already awakened since he can turn everything into sand.

Yeah, I'm guessing this too. It'd probably also explained how he was a threat in the New World when going up against Whitebeard earlier.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are some other plausible Mythical Zoan models?:

Cat Model: Lucky Cat
Human Model: Bigfoot/Yeti
Bird Model: Thunderbird
Octopus Model: Kraken (Uh... Don't ask)
Wolf Model: Fenrir
Dragon Model: Orochi (or Hydra)
Snake Model: Leviathan
Human Model: Siren
Bird Model: Harpy
Human Model: Devil/Oni
Human Model: Midas
Rat Model: Ratking
Human Model: Helios
Human Model: Hercules
Boar Model: Behemoth

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Every episode seems to have more filler than the last. It has more filler than a hot dog does at this point. :sigh:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What move? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

EmmyOk posted:

Watching this week's now, that move better have a turtle based name.

E: A good episode in my opinion I didn't think it was full of filler personally. Was that new music halfway through when they thought he had won?

If it's when Luffy blasts Doffy with the Leo Bazooka, then no. They used that track (called Reborn! The Straw Hat Pirates) before when Luffy dealt the final blow on Caesar with his Grizzly Magnum.

For all the faults of the anime, the orchestral music is still quite good.

Check it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wjsHNeiFefw

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There's literally one, maybe two new developments now per episode.

It's a drat shame because One Piece certainly deserves better than this. Even Dragonball Z with Fake Namek and the Frieza battle was better than this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'd down as gently caress for some sweet Barto Club filler time. They're hilarious.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'd like a blowout rematch between Zoro and Cabaji that because the Buggy Pirates have become so lazy and indolent they can barely swing a sword now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

Also there's the issue that the Strawhats not talking about past exploits has been somewhat of a constant theme. It's part of why the Marines aren't hunting him down with everything they have.

What do you mean by this? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Raposa posted:

If the Strawhats went around crowing about being the ones to take down Crocodile, how they successfully assaulted Enies Lobby and their captain broke into and out of Impel Down, with the help of two Shichibukai no less, the Marines would be embarrassed into putting their all into capturing or killing them.

With that said its not as if their fan club is the world news or anything, I could see flashback style story time.

But Sengoku basically aired all of this dirty laundry already at Marineford by talking up Luffy as the son of Dragon, etc with the Shabondy cameras rolling. The Fakehats were riding on the Strawhats' coattails because this info became public knowledge. Demaro Black (the Luffy impersonator) was rattling off these exploits before Sentomarou bashed his head in with his axe.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
A back-to-back filler arc of Barto Club and Warlord Buggy would be the best and would maybe even redeem this arc.

I just want some goofy adventures and shenanigans again, even if for just a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB-2pNWspRo

Back when the anime was still good and something to look forward to in bringing the manga to life. :sigh: