Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The White Dragon posted:

One of my favorite things about One Piece is the OP/EDs are like an evolutionary record of shonen directing styles and anime j-pop from the late 90s until today

It also exemplifies that modern isn't always better. The last good OP was Share the World (We Go was alright, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I don't like his work to be honest with you. I don't like how he tends to make everything become extremely wavy and the bodies start to look like they're made of water and start going off model. I always appreciated Oda's artstyle for everything being very direct and everything looking like it has a ton of impact which is the opposite of how this guy likes to animate the scenes.

For example Sabo's firefist looks better in the episode of Sabo to me because it feels like it's a massive burst of power and has immediate impact on the arena, whereas when this guy animates it the fire goes all over the place for no reason at all and has it be a constant stream of wavy fire pushing down and destroying the arena fairly slowly, instead of one powerful blast that destroys the arena in an instant. Just alot of small things like that I don't like with his work which I feel he does to try and make the scene cooler and ends up having the opposite effect because my eye is always drawn to how silly the character models or effects look.

In fact that's the problem I had with the preview, just alot of exaggerated and unnecessary movement in the preview like with Luffys leg twisting on the spot for no reason or the arm expanding like something out of bloody Akira.

:same:, though I think it works better with the older animation, when they had more budget (Luffy vs Lucci is one of the best fights of the series, hands down)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spidder posted:

Luffy's rythmically kicking the air to stay afloat in G4 yet he's staying completely still while doing so instead of floating up and down? This really bugged me for some reason.

Pretty sure that's the anime effect. He came across as much more bouncy in the Manga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ryaomon posted:

remember when they actually had a good opportunity for filler during the Paramount War Arc and it was just running around and screaming AAAAAAACCCCCCCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!

yeah

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'd down as gently caress for some sweet Barto Club filler time. They're hilarious.

:same:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

And some which are safe only if skipped (and then maybe returned to [I like the filler {for the most part <more brackets just because>}]).
I'll just say this: despite Zoro cutting up some metal thing in one of the filler episodes, his inability to cut metal is a part of plot points at some points after this. Just in case you get confused like I was. I think I'm vague enough that this is more of an anti-spoiler hopefully.
I don't think the filler contradicts the canon at any other point, unless someone else knows something?

Chopper eating rumble balls in quick succession during the filler parts of Davy Fight Back. Not actually a big deal, but it's there

Also, while not filler, an important change:You know, giving Hody Jones a motivation for his racism, which ruined the loving point of his character :wall:

"I recommend that quit watching the anime and switch to the manga after Sabody Archipelago, definitely after Impel Down."
~A person who doesn't like bad animation and pacing so far stretched that it ruins most of the jokes and makes awesome moments mediocre.

Julias fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 15, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I didn't say it was good all the time. But the difference between then and now is like night and day.

Awww really? Bon Voyage is one of my favorite openings. I actually miss most of those early openings, they were all about adventure and sailing and really fit One Piece well (except maybe the second one?). Then it turned into generic pop around the end of Enies Lobby and I can't remember even one of them except for Fight Together and We Go!

Basically all the endings up to Jungle P were good to various degrees, and

Captain Invictus posted:

Share the world owns

But everything after it besides We Go have been pretty generic at best, and sometimes just awful. I still remember the one around Impel Down where the song goes "Yaaaaaaaay!" while prison guards are doing a Nazi like salute, and I was like :wtf:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yeah, there's some plot holes I'm noticing on a re-read/watch. This arc is dragged on far too long, it deflates the intended tension and could have really been made more concise. It's running into the whole "Namek's gonna blow up in 5 minutes!" issue.

It drags in the manga, too. It must be insane in the Anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

darkgray posted:

Why didn't Usopp just shoot a sleep bullet at Sugar? It knocked out raging giant kids, after all.

I'm pretty sure falling asleep =/= being knocked unconscious. Otherwise, she would have had to have been awake for 10 years.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just think of the minks as the land-based version of Fishmen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The pacing starts to get fairly bad throughout the water 7/Enis Lobby Arc, bit the content is still good. By the End of Thriller Bark, you're better off just switching to the Manga in all honesty, because Toei Animation stops giving a crap, so besides everything being dragged out to hell in the most boring way possible (repeating jokes or stetching them out so long it's no longer funny, fights that are supposed to be quick get dragged out so much it makes the heroes look much weaker than they are), the animation quality takes a huge nosedive, and you'll get a million years of repeated animation of people running . Not to mention whenever they do try to add content, the usual screw it up, like putting in a filler flashback of a later villain that directly contradicts his actual backstory and ruins the central theme of said arc :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

I was too lazy to post this back when I actually moved here, but I walk past this work of art every day now:

I also saw some pirate flags on a ship on the river nearby, but that's probably less specifically One Piece related.

That's real cool.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's slightly better now; Oda typically gets a week off every 3 weeks or so

But yeah, the Manga industry is insane (and not in a good way). Most mangaka put up with similar conditions, and it's part of why having assistants can be invaluable.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
From what we know at the present time, not really, aside from likely losing Sanji forever, which is still a big enough deal to try and go save Sanji.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^That's not really true, such as in Pekom's case.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I know these are dying forums and all, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet that there's a new OP for OP's hour long special:https://youtu.be/5VYOjL4sgN4

It's surprisingly good, definitely the best OP since WE GO at the start of the timeskip, I guess my only gripe is it doesn't quite feel like an appropriate song for OP, but I guess it works.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

khy posted:

One Pace owns. Is there a dubbed version of it? I've been thinking of getting my nephew into OP, but I don't know if he can keep up with the subtitles.

Also, I made it to Dressrosa in the un-abridged anime. Bartolomeo is a great character, it's fun to watch someone fanboy out over Luffy.

There are Blu rays and the like put out by Funimation, though they're way behind (I believe theyre still at the fishman island arc?).

Though i have to give the spiel of the OP Manga>>>>>>>>>>>OP Anime after timeskip.

There are also tons of other great shonen you could show your Nephew that have dubs for sale, including My Hero Academia.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

I felt like him having fangs was not at all surprising, like it was somehow something I already knew - I'm trying to remember if the anime spoiled itself somehow at some point, or am I just crazy?

Also, I want some of them donuts... :munch:

Katakuri can also be translated as Dogtooth

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Suspicious Lump posted:

Did linlin rape a shark man to make Katakuri? I thought the giants and fishmen hated the Charlotte family?

Him, Daifuku, and Oven are all triplets, so it's more likely just some weird body quirk.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

かたくり
片栗
1. dogtooth violet (Erythronium japonicum)

I can't imagine he's named after some elaborate pun involving a flower name in English.

No, you misunderstood. When fan translations got to him, people were split on calling him Katakuri or Dogtooth, so multiple people referred to him as such, even after the official Viz Translations came out. And his name is a reference to the flower, which is edible and can be used to make starch, whether or not the "dog-tooth" part was intentional

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Ah, I see. That's pretty neat. Seems a bit excessive to translate his name though. Are the other children similarly named in vague references to food?

Yes, infact most of them are food/cooking/kitchen themed. Obviously there's Pudding (Purin). There's Daifuku, which is a Japanese confection consisting of a small round mochi stuffed with sweet filling, most commonly anko, sweetened red bean paste made from azuki beans.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tir McDohl posted:

As of the latest episode, where they very quickly (thankfully) recapped the entire New World arc to this point, I think they've run out of stuff to recap. Except like, Skypiea and Thriller Bark.

This episode was actually the most lazy, since they did not need to reanimate anything in it.

Wano's definitely starting within a handful of episodes.

It's Starting July 7th

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1134991687246405636?s=21

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To my knowledge it has just been a slow process of getting everyone together to voice their lines, edit the footage, and get approval from Toei.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The new Anime OP is out, and while it's interesting and cool in its it's own right, there are so many spoilers in there, including at least one major spoiler, that I feel bad for the anime watchers since they're gonna lose the surprise of so many big moments in this upcoming arc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sharrrk posted:

i love hancock

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It was so bad that Toei blocked it in the US :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
While I agree that it's egregious, I'd say that them padding out a moment to build tension works way more effectively than stretching out comedy bits to the point of being no longer funny, or making cakewalk fights seem like struggles, which ruins the power balancing. What they could have done to fix that particular scene was to simply animate Oars shaking during close ups of his body and show more ice cracking, as it would build up the tension more and make it feel like things are actually happening in comparison. Also as an aside, dub Moria's voice is god awful.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

So was Romance Dawn based on something Oda made or was it an anime exclusive thing? Either way, that was kind of fun and I'd sort of like to see more stories set in that particular universe.

It was the original one shot Oda did that got One Piece the greenlight for serialization. Basically a prototype, or an alternative universe version of One Piece.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gripweed posted:

I'm watching it pretty quickly. I've been doing one episode a day for the past couple weeks. I'm excited to see Luffy beat up Klahadore tomorrow.

The anime is a pretty good entry-way into the series, but I sincerely recommend switching over to the manga either after the Eines Lobby arc or the Sabondy arc. The pacing will get bad to the point where it actively ruins the comedy, tension, and character fights.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here's what I found looking up info on Wikipedia:

quote:

One Piece: Defeat Him! The Pirate Ganzack!was produced by Production I.G for the 1998 Jump Super Anime Tour and was directed by Gorō Taniguchi.[58] Luffy, Nami, and Zoro are attacked by a sea monster that destroys their boat and separates them. Luffy is found on an island beach, where he saves a little girl, Medaka, from two pirates. All the villagers, including Medaka's father have been abducted by Ganzack and his crew and forced into labor. After hearing that Ganzack also stole all the food, Luffy and Zoro rush out to retrieve it. As they fight the pirates, one of them kidnaps Medaka. A fight starts between Luffy and Ganzack, ending with Luffy's capture. Meanwhile, Zoro is forced to give up after a threat is made to kill all the villagers. They rise up against Ganzack, and while the islanders and pirates fight, Nami unlocks the three captives. Ganzack defeats the rebellion and reveals his armored battleship. The Straw Hat Pirates are forced to fight Ganzack once more to prevent him from destroying the island.

A second film, One Piece: Romance Dawn Story, was produced by Toei Animation in July 2008 for the Jump Super Anime Tour. It is 34 minutes in length and based on the first version of Romance Dawn.[59][27] It includes the Straw Hat Pirates up to Brook and their second ship, the Thousand Sunny. In search for food for his crew, Luffy arrives at a port after defeating a pirate named Crescent Moon Gally on the way. There he meets a girl named Silk, who was abandoned by attacking pirates as a baby and raised by the mayor. Her upbringing causes her to value the town as her "treasure". The villagers mistake Luffy for Gally and capture him just as the real Gally returns. Gally throws Luffy in the water and plans to destroy the town, but Silk saves him and Luffy pursues Gally. His crew arrives to help him, and with their help he recovers the treasure for the town, acquires food, and destroys Gally's ship.

So yeah, never a proper adaptation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Kaido's breath weapon seems to have a pretty inconsistent damage output. Though, of course, in anime, flesh is infinitely more durable than rocks.

This is on Toei's part. In the manga you don't see how kaido specifically attacks Speed/Otama, and Luffy blocking a direct shot from Kaido is filler added to extend the scene.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/otakucalendarjp/status/1208716339143049217

:unsmith:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone have any idea what’s going on with the anime? As far as I can tell there haven’t been any new episodes in the last two weeks.

Yeah the One Piece anime took these last two weeks off because the timeslot clashed with a bunch of Marathon races and they didn't want to compete with them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Aside from one guy shouting the word "Stampede", the title really didn't have much to do with the movie.

Is the new name for Rafteal (sp? [Ironically]) canon? I hope not.

Were gonna keep getting a new movie every year, right? So that's at least 20 more movies. The one before this was better because it at least tried to be something unique. This one felt like a worse version of Strong World.

Nah, the movies have been one every few years now, so they've been better paced.

Also yeah, it's probably best to think of Raftel as a Gol D. Roger situation, where everyone thought it was Gold Roger/Raftel, but it was actually Gol D. Roger/Laugh Tale, Raftel was always written in Katakana before the movie Stampede, where it was written in English as Laugh Tale, and yeah it became confirmed that this is what Oda intended.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

I wonder where "Enies" comes from.

I still think it's funny that Luffy attacked and destroyed two of the government's most important locations, and yet still has a bounty comparable to other people. I know the bounty is supposed to be a reflection of their recognized power, not necessarily the government's desire to be rid of them. But it's funny to me. Like what could Eustas Kidd have done to compete?

He murdered a bunch of people. Luffy doesn't really do that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

QuarkJets posted:

I was browsing Netflix just now and saw One Piece categorized under "TV shows from the 90s". And thought to myself "gently caress yeah it is"

:corsair:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Suspicious Lump posted:

Nah, I don't mind they have a similar design. I just think it looks dumb as.

:thejoke:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Amante posted:

Manga reader here, but still watching the anime with a friend who'll never read it. As someone who originally transitioned to the manga in Thriller Bark, I'm definitely noticing a drop in animation quality and pacing, but watching the One Pace episodes has kept things tolerable.

We've now finished Whitebeard War and I'm trying to transition to the second half. Are the anime-only crew sidestories any good or are they just more filler? Can I just skip to the second half and be done with it without losing anything?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide :)

They're actually canon, not filler, but in the manga they were told via 'cover stories' where each week the first page of the chapter had a single panel showing what the other strawhat were doing, and it did this all throughout Impel Down/Marineford War/Aftermath. The anime just waited until later to tell them all as complete chunks so that way you know everyone's status before the timeskip. I wouldn't skip them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Also, maybe I've forgotten, but has Chopper reacted to the cherry blossoms at all? (Has he even seen them yet?) They're pretty critical to his backstory. Dr. Hiriluk presumably came to Wanokuni when he was "cured."

Not at all.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bisse posted:

I find it endearing to imagine the name misunderstanding is in-universe, that someone misheard it as Raftel and that name spread through newspapers.

Makes sense, as people mistook Gol D. Roger as Gold Roger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t it spelled out that way in the series prior to that (I want to say during the Skypeia arc)?

Until Stampede came out, it was always written in Japanese katakana as ラフテル (Ra-fu-te-ru), and it wouldn't be apparently obvious that that's supposed to be English "Laugh Tale" or a made up fantasy word.
And outside of that movie, it wasn't revealed to be Laugh Tale in series until the Oden Flashback